Found Deceased KY - James 'Mike' Kimsey, 48, Louisville, 29 May 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
As an individual who works professionally in social areas, I do hold to the theory that foul play may be involved; however, as much as I hate to speak of this because I'm aware family may read my opinion, it would not be in the best interest to dismiss other theories that are quite likely as well.

I have read that mike was a career military man (I believe pilot US Airforce) prior to his employment with the airline. With that being said, and with a long family history of military men, I'm familiar with the rigors and discipline that military personnel often live with during their career. Most military men are quite adept at internalizing their emotional pain and problems except to a few very close people, and sometimes no one. In general, men in our society, especially those in the middle-age and elder age range have often been taught through socially handed down traditions that it's not acceptable for males to show weakness, but remain strong at all times. And although anyone, despite gender, has every right and can feel a range of emotions, sometimes they feel that they cannot share their feelings.

In society, mental health has much stigma associated with it, there's a "mark of shame" that often is associated with it - disgrace, non understanding, and/or disapproval by Friends, family, neighbors, employers, and coworkers leave someone experiencing feelings of depression with isolation or rejection. Sometimes people who suffer from any mental disorder are denied basic liberties like partaking in family events, normal society networks, productive employment, and this is especially true for a pilot.

IF Mike was feeling like his life was unraveling due to his relationship issues (embarrassment by people finding out about wife's transgressions, losing one half of his assets, upcoming legal and financial issues etc), he certainly could NOT talk to his employer about it, and even if he went to a private doctor to seek help he could not take an antidepressant or med for anxiety as he's drug tested frequently and he'd lose his job, career, financial stability, and a hugely defining part of the essence of who he was. Sadly, nearly any other profession can seek mental health assistance without fear of losing this, but nit a pilot. And a career military professional with a current career pilot status would have much issue with ego seeking help for mental illness. In the profession of pilots, there's a name for this, it's called the "mental health hidden burden" (can't get help nor take mess or lose job). Source: http://pix11.com video interview posted 3/31/2015.

I've read that it's been reported Mike went about his usual business on the days prior to being reported missing, but it is not uncommon at all for a person who is suicidal to act in this very same manner, especially if they feel that society expects this of them. It's often viewed that there are two types of people with suicides - those who are grasping for help and those who intend that follow through. Those who are grasping for help will declare to others they want to die, will make it known to someone, will act differently in ways, it's their way of begging for help. But those who have resolved to follow through do NOT tell other people, they often keep all depression hidden, let no one in on their agenda because they don't want anyone to stop their plans. People who've successfully committed suicide have been reported to go their favorite stores, places, carry out very extra normal routines immediately prior to the act. Some have been known to convey messages in letters, social media, and texts that it's a wonderful day (bc their perception is they know today is the day their suffering will end).

Was Mike depressed? I don't know, perhaps no one knows. We don't know IF he left in shoes. As I've stated before, I couldn't tell you what shoes my husband has on at any given moment most days (as most men of Mikes age and my hubby's age coincidentally), and similar social economic status have several pairs of shoes. And like his wife I have a similar aged child in the home and am often pre occupied with keeping up with the child's clothes, shoes, school items, toys, etc and therefore hubby's shoe collection and count isn't of high priority to me. It's quite likely that Mike had on shoes when he left that house (be it alone or unwillingly), and he did take his wallet and cellphone. Yes they've stated no use of credit cards but did he have cash? Again, he was a man with financial means, and it's likely his wallet or within his home he had a bit of cash tucked away for a cash emergency, especially if he had any suicidal forethought.

Mike was a pilot, previously I've read that those who work for airlines get free "extra seats" on flights - I'm assuming that the police surely has looked into this out of Louisvilles airport. Maybe they don't issue a standard ticket but he'd be listed on a travel manifest in the event the flight went down etc I would presume. He may have chosen an alternate location for a suicide, other than his town. In recent years it's not been uncommon for people to select venues away from their home area to end their life. Although there's only speculation as to why they chose this method, some are: anonymity (to spare family burden of knowing that they have killed themselves in attempt to protect family from knowledge/grief), protect family from discovering the body, protect family from associating an area or place with the suicide in the future, etc.). Since Mikes body hasn't been found locally, it is a possibility that he used cash to travel by taxi, bus, rail, etc to another city and committed suicide anonymously. It's not that much of a stretch to believe that if a person felt socially unable to disclose despair while living (the weakness or "less than" effect of not being able to handle life's problems) that he may want to disguise his actions in death for vanity reasons or to protect others.

Some facts on suicide: (2014 stats used)....
In the USA, 41,149 people committed suicide.
Of those, 32,055 were men.
Men are nearly 4 times as likely to successfully commit suicide as women.
37,154 that committed suicide were white.... NINE out of TEN are WHITE of those that committed suicide.
15,756 were middle aged - aged 45-64 - nearly ONE-HALF were MIDDLE AGED.

So Mike is in the HIGHEST gender, the HIGHEST race, the HIGHEST age category. It does NOT mean he has committed suicide, but if I were LE or family, I certainly would be putting high regard to the possibility that he may have went elsewhere and this may be why. I'd be looking into any unidentified bodies since he's been missing that fits his profile.

In the U.S., ONE person every 12.8 minutes dies from suicide, it's the 10th leading cause of death (homicide I'd 16th)

Suicide: risk factors (that Mike meets) - WHITE, MALE, MIDDLE AGED, FREE MOBILITY (means and ability to move about to commit the act). STRESSORS (that Mike may/may not have felt) - out of work (due to current health situation), job stress (unable to return to work due to current physical condition, unable to seek mental health assistance due to pilot status), marriage/relationship stress (alleged problems with wife and extramarital affair, possible separation, divorce, child custody). And ACUTE RISK FACTORS that Mike may/may not have felt: recent or anticipating a marital separation or divorce (alleged), feelings of being a victim or feelings of rage (possible if alleged infidelity was actually uncovered by Mike), psychological pain and/or acute distress possibly resulting in feelings of loss, rejection, and defeat (loss of marriage/family unit, rejected by wife, defeated by the boyfriend), feelings of anger (from wife's alleged actions), rage, seeking revenge, withdrawn (possibly without showing this outwardly but internalizing his emotion), hopelessness - seeing things in black/white instead of gray, having few reasons to want to continue to live (may have felt like he was losing wife and son as he was a pilot and his career would inhibit his chances of having full custody of son, thus wife would get child and he had nothing worth living for), sense of no purpose, life has lost meaning, no reason for living (not a far stretch for anyone who's anticipating a divorce and possible loss of child in life), negative or mixed emotions toward receiving mental health help (military mentality of "being strong" and fear of losing his career if he was to seek help, social views regarding men being weak and showing weakness, requesting help. Any real or anticipated event causing or threatening shame, guilt, despair, humiliation, loss of face, or status (DIVORCE/infidelity), legal problems (divorce, child custody), financial problems (divorce), feeling rejected (divorce), abandoned.

Source: http://suicidology.org (statistics) and general information is my opinion/theory of possibility ONLY as a consideration as alternate idea, taken from my years of professional experience working in social science career and my education/continuing education.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this. Not just for this case... I'm sure this post will be referred back to in future cases as well. Great information on suicide.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk

I do not get the logic on this. Mike could very easily have all the good qualities that friends and family have mentioned and is as good as he has been described. He could be as well-liked and loved as anyone on the planet, and still, there could be one person who wanted him out of the way because he prevented them from having what they wanted. Now, who could that be? I really think you have on blinders about this issue.

I have blinders on? Really? I've stated repeatedly that I'm 60/40, which means I do think there's a 40% chance of foul play. There are many posts on this thread , however, where the idea of suicide is completely rejected because the poster feels "he would never do that." Perhaps the blinder comment is better suited elsewhere.

I would be happy to discuss foul play more if there was actually evidence indicating that, instead of just random what-ifs with nothing to support them. Yes, there are many "possibilities", but far fewer "likely's".

I typically lurk, but this case is drawing me out of lurkdom.

Excellent post KY. I agree with you and this has been my thought since first reading about Mike. I work in a field that has exposure to suicide or persons at risk for committing suicide. He fits many of the criteria and his behavior leading up to the night he went missing is not at all uncommon for someone contemplating suicide. I hope that I am wrong and that he left on his own and he is safe, but it just doesn't seem likely.

My husband has more shoes than I do. Neither one of us would know if the other were missing a pair of boots, shoes or flip flops.

Also, if you were to ask my husband's friends and family if he suffered from depression, they would absolutely say "no way!" Truth be told, he has inner demons he wrestles with most days. Depression and anxiety plague him terribly. He won't go to a doctor for it because he is a very proud man and views mental health issues as a stigma and weak. I completely disagree with him and have my career in helping others, but I can only help my husband as much as he will help himself. He is an attractive, athletic, family man, business owner....no one would ever suspect what is going on inside of him. He went through a year of unemployment, he felt useless. He believed what he felt to be true.

I think if someone close to Mike caused his death, they would have done so in manner by which financial gain would have resulted. I don't see that in this circumstance.

I typically lurk, but this case is drawing me out of lurkdom.

Excellent post KY. I agree with you and this has been my thought since first reading about Mike. I work in a field that has exposure to suicide or persons at risk for committing suicide. He fits many of the criteria and his behavior leading up to the night he went missing is not at all uncommon for someone contemplating suicide. I hope that I am wrong and that he left on his own and he is safe, but it just doesn't seem likely.

My husband has more shoes than I do. Neither one of us would know if the other were missing a pair of boots, shoes or flip flops.

Also, if you were to ask my husband's friends and family if he suffered from depression, they would absolutely say "no way!" Truth be told, he has inner demons he wrestles with most days. Depression and anxiety plague him terribly. He won't go to a doctor for it because he is a very proud man and views mental health issues as a stigma and weak. I completely disagree with him and have my career in helping others, but I can only help my husband as much as he will help himself. He is an attractive, athletic, family man, business owner....no one would ever suspect what is going on inside of him. He went through a year of unemployment, he felt useless. He believed what he felt to be true.

I think if someone close to Mike caused his death, they would have done so in manner by which financial gain would have resulted. I don't see that in this circumstance.

Not so fast. People kill out of pure anger. A moment's flash of violence is all it takes. Many court rooms are filled with remorseful killers who "didn't mean to do it."

But I think suicide is the answer. He's in a tree in one of those clumps of woods by his house, hung. I wish not, but that's my thought.

Not so fast. People kill out of pure anger. A moment's flash of violence is all it takes. Many court rooms are filled with remorseful killers who "didn't mean to do it."

But I think suicide is the answer. He's in a tree in one of those clumps of woods by his house, hung. I wish not, but that's my thought.

If that's the case then LMPD's lack of additional searches have left his body to possibly be found by his own son (or other family member) who might be playing (or walking) in the woods near the home. I can't imagine they would allow this to happen, but who knows ?? If so, I think it's horrible.

If that's the case then LMPD's lack of additional searches have left his body to possibly be found by his own son (or other family member) who might be playing (or walking) in the woods near the home. I can't imagine they would allow this to happen, but who knows ?? If so, I think it's horrible.

LE generally doesn't do random searches. They will search when they have information leading to a particular location. It's a matter of spending taxpayer money wisely.

LE generally doesn't do random searches. They will search when they have information leading to a particular location. It's a matter of spending taxpayer money wisely.

Yes, we have had previous discussions regarding searches (or lack thereof).

So... if the victim is dead by suicide and LMPD does not search the vicinity again... how can they obtain information on a "particular location" other than having someone stumble upon the body??

https://docjt.ky.gov/legal/documents/KentuckyMissingPersons.pdf

An interesting read on KY missing person laws and protocols. I can't do a copy/paste on my phone, but there is a section on searches. It looks like civilian searches are very much discouraged and may actually be illegal! Not sure I'm reading it right, so please give it a look and see if I'm interpreting it correctly. That would explain the lack of organized volunteer searches, and the reported discouragement by LE.

In other cases, I've seen appeals for landowners to walk their properties. That might be a good alternative.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

What section did you think implied/suggested that such volunteer searches may be illegal?

How so? I haven't read all of it, but from what I've read on FB and some WS threads I can't imagine being a family member and seeing what horrible things people can say. No judgment here and I'm not accusing anyone on this thread, just in general I think it must be very difficult for the family of someone who is missing to read accusations, advice from psychics, rumours, gossip, etc., on SM.
This is inaccurate. A male pilot who cannot or does not meet flight criteria...is a huge blow. To any pilot actually.

https://docjt.ky.gov/legal/documents/KentuckyMissingPersons.pdf

An interesting read on KY missing person laws and protocols. I can't do a copy/paste on my phone, but there is a section on searches. It looks like civilian searches are very much discouraged and may actually be illegal! Not sure I'm reading it right, so please give it a look and see if I'm interpreting it correctly. That would explain the lack of organized volunteer searches, and the reported discouragement by LE.

In other cases, I've seen appeals for landowners to walk their properties. That might be a good alternative.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

IMO... The most interesting paragraph from your link (has nothing to do with searches):

"The usual working assumption in the case of most missing adults is that they are “missing” voluntarily and there is no need to actually look for them. (Legally, of course, any competent adult may simply choose to disappear.) However, every missing person’s case carries the potential for the possibility of something more sinister, and as such, even a seemingly
simple missing adult report should be treated as having the possibility of leading to a more serious investigation. Like other cases, a missing person’s case may go cold, but they are always remembered by the family and friends of the loved one. Even years later, some cold missing persons cases have been resolved by the locating of a wrecked car, with the missing subject still inside, for example. Other missing persons are actually the victims of homicide and any delay in investigating the report is also a delay in the homicide investigation. Care must be taken not to decide too quickly that a missing person, even an adult, is a voluntary walkway.

("Adults" Page 4)

** For those thinking "suicide", then wouldn't it fall under the category of "sinister" (as opposed to simply walking away)? So, again... why wait 3 weeks to search the home and surrounding area??

I think there are a few key pieces missing from the "suicide" logic. Mike was recovering from surgery - one of those was hip surgery. In his current condition, he couldn't get far on foot. His car was still in the garage. Why has there been no body? Could he have even gotten half a mile? -I don't know. People can't commit suicide then hide their own body. Police searched the nature trail in his neighborhood and the area behind his home, correct? How far do we think we traveled, on foot, after hip surgery, to hide his suicide?

I would consider suicide a possibility if it wasn't for the giant red flags elsewhere. It's not that I think Mike isn't capable of it--anyone is--it's that circumstances definitely do NOT point in that direction.

What section did you think implied/suggested that such volunteer searches may be illegal?

I can't copy/paste, but toward the end of the search section there's a line about non-authorized search assets putting LE at legal risk. I'm not sure if that's meant for outside SAR teams or volunteers or both.

ETA That, coupled with the language near the top of that section about the legal establishment of search and rescue squads under Kentucky law.

I think there are a few key pieces missing from the "suicide" logic. Mike was recovering from surgery - one of those was hip surgery. In his current condition, he couldn't get far on foot. His car was still in the garage. Why has there been no body? Could he have even gotten half a mile? -I don't know. People can't commit suicide then hide their own body. Police searched the nature trail in his neighborhood and the area behind his home, correct? How far do we think we traveled, on foot, after hip surgery, to hide his suicide?

But other posters who presumably know him said he was over the surgery and about to be cleared for flight, had hired a personal trainer, was exercising, IIRC there was mention of a walking/jogging program... so I wouldn't presume that he couldn't have gone far.

Ok, let's try a different path. He's had many surgeries, right? And for this last one, he's been out for close to a year? Could he have started to like the pain meds too much? No drug testing when you're out on disability. (As an aside, would ups drug test their pilots as much as passenger airlines? Different level of liability, so maybe not?) Could he have left on foot to meet a dealer? Maybe had a burner phone?

This is exactly my point! Why waste the time on walking away voluntarily and suicide and risk losing evidence and time, when those possibilities will still be around if and when murder or accident are ruled out?

But if there's no evidence of murder or accident...?

ETA. Of course, LE may, and likely does, have evidence we are not privy to that is certainly driving their actions.

But other posters who presumably know him said he was over the surgery and about to be cleared for flight, had hired a personal trainer, was exercising, IIRC there was mention of a walking/jogging program... so I wouldn't presume that he couldn't have gone far.

I am sure he could walk by then. That surgery is life changing, and he was younger than most and otherwise in good shape to boot. Also, I drove to the neighborhood and the surrounding area. In ten minutes on foot you could be any any number of wooded areas, some more vast then others. Go back and study the Google Map thst was posted on this thread. If he walked into one of those, and strung himself up from a tree, or against a tree or whatever, he could be there for a long time if they only allow the landowner to walk their own property. Lots of that property is owned by developers for future resources I'm sure, and they don't live there. Others are the type of people who don't work the land, and don't get out to those areas. Someone walking through one of those areas might see enough remains to be alarmed, but now after three months, searing heat, who knows. I am no expert on remains. One thing (I might have mentioned before) that on the missing Nelson County lady, Crystal Rogers who also has a thread here, someone asked the hunters to scan the woods from their tree stands and as they manuever through areas that might not get much traffic. I thought that made sense. I don't think the area's near Mikes house are open for hunting.

I do still think it's a possibility that someone else did him harm, but I can't understand that no one has found a fatal flaw in their actions. If LE knows, they sure are content to let everyone else to continue with their daily lives. I know this case is out of the ordinary for them, and possibly beyond their capabilities. I cannot understand why the neighbors, and his original family haven't stirred up a big fuss to insist areas be searched, police meet with the neighbors as a group to assure them of the things not reported in the media---or even warn them of the dangers. Or ask them questions! No one is banding together to insist on some communication and action. The police might search more if the family called the Chief of Police. Passiveness is not finding Mike! I saw they got a Private Eye according to FB. Never heard another word about that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli
Back