Found Deceased KY - James 'Mike' Kimsey, 48, Louisville, 29 May 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well I just read through all this thread and this is the first I have heard of James and IMO he didn't commit suicide.
It just doesn't make sense to me.
Also I can't imagine my husband leaving in the morning and I'm so unconcerned he never came back home that I didn't call anyone for 4 days. I would think within hours I'd be worried about the father of my son. It makes zero sense to me. ALL JMO

Yes--it's awful he wasn't found sooner. From here on the other side of the computer, I can't tell how hard or effectively he was searched for, but I do know that it can be extremely difficult to find a body when you don't know where to look. Still, it looks like that wedge of woods isn't very big and is an obvious starting point, so I don't know.
Agreed, and the crucial thing is that LE says that they searched that area THREE TIMES.
Three times. Ugh.

There were 2 searches of the quarry. The first was done with the KYK9, which used LMPD divers, and the Kimseys (Mike's parents) were there, as well as the police, and these quotes were when this began. They felt good about this, were happy that police seemed to be getting involved in searching to help, and felt that finally the quarry would be searched. The KYK9 dogs found Mike's scent in the area around the quarry, which reinforced the need to rule out the quarry with a search. Maybe the cap was not mentioned in reports, and maybe I should not have mentioned this. It doesn't matter though, the dogs picked up a scent around the quarry. The divers began, and algae was thick in the quarry. All in news reports. Helicopters were also in the area those couple of days, searching. I believe the divers had only been diving a couple of days, when the lead homicide detective came in and told the KYK9 to shut it down, stop the search, and gave no explanation to the Kimseys, he told Mike's mother he didn't want to talk to her and only to Mike's father, said that Mike is not in the quarry and for the Kimseys to go home. I don't think there was any compassion in this order, and neither did anyone else at the time, and basically all involved were stunned by this. Mike's wife was not there during this search. The divers had not begun to cover the entire quarry, so this left the job unfinished. Several weeks later, Mike's parents, proceeded to do all that was necessary legally to organize another search of the quarry with KYK9, and at that time sonar equipment was used. Mike was not found, and this gave some closure to whether Mike was in the quarry at that time. I hope this clears up any confusion I caused.

Thank you RockyRoad for the explanation, you didn't have to, this makes sense. So this search in November, was the second one and the parents were 'happy' that the search had been more thorough than the first time.
I cannot find an msm link to when the first search was to take place although I do vaguely remember reading on here about a search stopping and something about the algae. It's irrelevant now I suppose, now he's been found.

It was quite sad to watch the video in that link above. The parents are elderly and I just hate to see elderly people getting upset, especially men for some reason. Ideally, their lives should be worry free at this age but it's often not the case.

May they all find peace.

Agreed, and the crucial thing is that LE says that they searched that area THREE TIMES.
Three times. Ugh.

Yup... Three times and used a class of recruits to search at least once. Pretty damn disappointing in my opinion.

Lots of questions I would love to know the answers to. Was his wallet or phone found? Were there shoes on his feet? Any footprints or tire tracks around? Also, I would think they could establish whether his body had been there for several months versus days or weeks by surrounding plant growth, etc.

I would think there are lots of things they could do, but are they doing any of those things?? Less than one day after finding him, the detective states in the press conference that they won't be able to give his family any closure?!! Lack of effort by this Louisville LE is stunning to me! They look completely inept - admitting that they searched this area three times with dogs and missed him, yet they don't seem to even consider that he hasn't been there the whole time! What about soil samples? What about neighbor's security cameras that could have recorded someone placing the body there very recently? If these aren't checked quickly they will roll over and any recording would be lost. If anyone on Websleuths happens to live in that neighborhood, will you please check your security cameras and spread the word among your neighbors to do the same. Michael was so kind to everyone, and would go out of his way to help people - It's so devastating to me that someone has done this to him and seems to be just getting away with it :( Delete my post if you must, but everyone who knows him believes he was murdered!

According to the FB page, today is Mike's birthday.
A very sad day for his family and friends.

RIP Mike, Happy Birthday. You are missed. :cake4u:

Oh dear. In honor of Mikes birthday:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
df685b9f25e7199ad9441781cee2558b.jpg

I began this thread and took an interest in Mike's disappearance from the get-go. I even visited his neighborhood to look around a few days after his story hit the news. I had a feeling that his body may have been nearby and I even guessed it would be near the nature trail of the neighborhood. It turns out that his body was found pretty close to that trail. I am completely stunned to think that police couldn't find his body for that long period of time. There is absolutely no reason for this to have happened. We are talking about 3/4 of a mile from his house. Every inch of the ground for at least a mile radius should have been covered. There is only so much forest in the area near his home and I honestly can't imagine how they couldn't find him. We are talking about a very small distance from his home. Any and every bit of forest near his home should have been walked and scoured. The police said they searched the area a few times, but missed it. Either the police did not do a search worth a crap, or someone moved his bones back to the area. As a Louisvillian, this is very concerning to me that our police is so incompetent.

Also, I think if his bones were located in an odd area where people don't walk, I would find that to be very odd. I cannot imagine he'd commit suicide so close to home and in the middle of a ton of weeds/overgrowth/bushes/etc... I guess I could be wrong because I may not understand the mindset of someone wanting to commit a quick suicide. That stated, I find things to be quite fishy to make me think something was done to him. His wife waiting to declare him missing, his hat? being found near the quarry, and his body not being found during first searches are some of the main reasons as to why I think this.

Can anyone clarify the following:

1). Was it confirmed to be a jawbone that was originally discovered or is this speculation?

2). Did they find additional remains as well confirmed?

3) previously noted on the thread about body ID by dental records, is this confirmed or possible speculation?

Still trying to piece together what's what with the body.... So sad to log on today and find out Mike was found like this. Prayers for his family.

Can anyone clarify the following:

1). Was it confirmed to be a jawbone that was originally discovered or is this speculation?

2). Did they find additional remains as well confirmed?

3) previously noted on the thread about body ID by dental records, is this confirmed or possible speculation?

Still trying to piece together what's what with the body.... So sad to log on today and find out Mike was found like this. Prayers for his family.

After some review, I found a January 20th 2016 news article on the Courier Journal.com website and was able to answer my own questions listed above...

YES to ALL THREE - It was indeed a jaw bone found by an animal, teeth from that jawbone were used to make a positive ID that it was the jaw of Mike, and after recovery of the jawbone, a search was done and the remainder of the skeleton was found nearby (article does not state if it was a complete skeleton minus the jawbone previously recovered nor does it state it was partial).

i also noted the above mentioned article stated Mike did previously leave home with his cell phone and wallet but no credit card or phone activity had been reported. His car had been left behind at home (moot points at this time I suppose). One thing I noted a month or so ago was that the NameUS info on Mike DID list that he had on a pair of boots upon his missing date although previously reported news stories had stated no shoes known (again, moot at this point but a fact I wanted to point out).

Hambone, I have not spoken to one person that has not found this case to be "fishy". I had the honor of attending the memorial service for Mike today. My heart hurt so bad for Joann, Larry and Kathy. Later several of us went to where Mike's remains were found and there is NO way it could have been missed had the LMPD done a search like they "supposedly" said they did (and three times at that!) because it was laying on top of the ground. Also, there is a house that sits very near it and even the guy that owns the house said he smelled no odor from it! I can't believe it had been there all that time.....just no way.
attachment.php
:shame:

Attachments

• 2016-02-05 16.44.11.jpg
    2016-02-05 16.44.11.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 360
Hambone, I have not spoken to one person that has not found this case to be "fishy". I had the honor of attending the memorial service for Mike today. My heart hurt so bad for Joann, Larry and Kathy. Later several of us went to where Mike's remains were found and there is NO way it could have been missed had the LMPD done a search like they "supposedly" said they did (and three times at that!) because it was laying on top of the ground. Also, there is a house that sits very near it and even the guy that owns the house said he smelled no odor from it! I can't believe it had been there all that time.....just no way.
attachment.php

Thank you for sharing the photo.

Mike's story is heartbreaking and I hope we get the whole story soon.

Thank you Filly for going and supporting Mike's family. Also thank you for taking the time to visit that area and take the pics. Much appreciated.

attachment.php

Thanks for posting this!! HOW could he have been missed or looked over on a grid search with dogs??? He was found lying on TOP OF the ground, according to the original police notification. HOW was he missed, a 220 pound man, on top of the ground? It is clear that there isn't much thickness to this area, even if leaves were on the twigs around. This reveals that either 1) They did NOT search the area, 2) They searched but did an incompetently poor job 3) They had a pre-conceived idea that he was not in the area, and just did a precursory glance of the area 4) He was NOT there when the search was done!!! This is all just beyond awful!

Have toxicology results come back yet? Has the full autopsy result been released?

Have toxicology results come back yet? Has the full autopsy result been released?

No one knows where Mike's remains are. Police will not tell the family anything and the family cannot get answers.

Reactions: Hap
No one knows where Mike's remains are. Police will not tell the family anything and the family cannot get answers.

Sorry, not Mike's remains, the official Coroner's Office autopsy results, including toxicology results that the police mentioned were pending the day they publicly announced that his body had been found. The Coroner's Office would have to advise anyone as to the status of Mike's remains, e.g. if they were released yet or not.

I've been trying to keep watch on WS for more info on Mike's story, I live slightly over an hour away and frankly I've never once caught any news coverage on his case. I sincerely hope that tests ran on the body will give some answers to his family.

My gut feeling is that his wife, or anyone else, was not involved in this death. It's only my honest opinion and feelings. IMO every published fact suggests that his death is the result of either a suicide or an accident/health emergency that may have taken place. In speculation, perhaps he had a heart attack or stroke, etc that caused his demise, or possibly slipped and fell and hit his head... Only a couple of ideas that come to mind.

I wonder IF any possible suicidal weapons (gun/meds/rope/etc) was found at the scene, and if so would they have released that info immediately to the public, or perhaps they would hold any info until the final review of the scene and body is complete. It seems fair to consider that any odd items, especially if they could be used to end life, would be withheld until all the facts are in.

Many items could be used in suicide or in foul play.... Guns can be used by the victim or a perpetrator for example. So could a knife, rope, even pills for that matter. Sadly, finding the body several months after the death may quite likely hamper determining the cause and manner of death. We may likely never know how Mike died and if it was indeed at his own hands, health/accidental, or foul play.

Statistically, however, my feelings leave me to believe that Mike's death was suicide/health related. I never knew Mike, but I feel like I do, I've spent many hours finding info on him and his story. I am the wife of a man who fits the "profile" of Mike in many ways.... My husband is military, same age, and quite similar to Mike in his accomplishments. And I do understand the mentality of how my husbands mind operates. If my husband was missing under the exact circumstances, I'd personally believe there was a 99 percent chance that he was in a field found similar to Mike. My husband has NEVER shown signs of depression outwardly nor vocalized that he is depressed, but I see the personal and societal pressures he carries internally. My hubby is outwardly optimistic and refined and a real "put together" man. BUT, As a person (myself) who works in the social areas, my husband would fit the profile of an individual who chose suicide in a desperate moment. Granted, I've read way too many articles on military personnel and the huge epidemic of suicide that our nation is facing, and professional articles that support my theory as well.

IMO, I'm very curious as to why this case seemed to not get the attention from LE from the get-go that it deserves. Was LE privy to info that rest of us didn't know? By their actions, or lack there-of, I don't feel that LE ever felt that this was a "foul play" investigation. Instead I think they felt perhaps Mike left on his own due to personal/and or marital issues OR that it was a suicide. If suicide was suspected, a more thorough search should have been done. I understand that tall grass/weeds can hide a body, and that if I were LE and a body nearby should have been apparent by the odor in a KY humid summer. But for whatever reason no one smelled anything out of the ordinary and LE didn't do a heavy investigation of the wooded surrounding area bc they expected odor to lead them straight to a body. If that is indeed the case, that's very disappointing LE activity - Mike deserved a fair and thorough and swift investigation. He did not get this.

Again, all comments are my thoughts and opinions only.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I completely agree with you KY Angel. I don't think foul play was involved unless he was assaulted/robbed while on a walk by a complete stranger. I believe the bizarre actions or inactions of law enforcement and his spouse had everybody shaking their heads and wondering what the heck is going on. Minds start to wonder and speculate. I personally think he either had a medical emergency or took his own life and I lean toward a medical emergency such as a heart attack or stroke. Suicide is a strong possibility especially if he was on any medications. I live close to Louisville and looking at the photo of where he was found, I could imagine that entire area being overgrown covered in thick/high vegetation in the late spring time; however there is no excuse, he should have been found, period!! Especially if that area was searched 3 times. I am not placing blame, but I think law enforcement and his wife really let Mike down with the delayed searches and the lack of publicity, etc. Had law enforcement got the community involved, Mike would have been found then, and even if he was dead, the family would have answers and the rest of us wouldn’t be shaking our heads in disbelief today. I hope Mike wasn’t laying there long hurting in need of medical attention. Can you imagine his thoughts if he were laying there for a period of time "They'll find me soon", but no one ever came for him? That is just disgraceful! I hope law enforcement learns from this so that it doesn’t have to happen to someone again.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back