KY KY - Kathy, 48, & Samantha Netherland, 16, Botland, 21 Apr 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I find that very strange (the Netherlands cases) not being a part of this investigation by the KY. Attorneys General's Office. This is very puzzling. My first inclination is they know who the killer is and simply do not have the evidence to charge them.

I have always felt it was something very bizarre about this case from the very beginning. Some have hinted at a gang initiation being the motive. While some violent gangs do have initiation killings, they almost always kill rival gang members.
“Kathy and Samantha Netherland, the mother and daughter tortured and killed in their Nelson County home, were not mentioned in the letter. When asked why not, the Attorney General's Office said they were not asked to intervene in the Netherlands case.”

I find that very strange (the Netherlands cases) not being a part of this investigation by the KY. Attorneys General's Office. This is very puzzling. My first inclination is they know who the killer is and simply do not have the evidence to charge them.

I have always felt it was something very bizarre about this case from the very beginning. Some have hinted at a gang initiation being the motive. While some violent gangs do have initiation killings, they almost always kill rival gang members.
I have thought the same. The family’s Justice page asked for the killer to come forward and seek forgiveness.

BARDSTOWN, Ky. —
Sarah Hardin was hopeful when she saw a news article about a new special prosecutor in a series of unsolved murders in Nelson County.

"And then I read it and me personally, I took it as a spit in the face," she said. "Because it's like, why exclude my family? Are we not important?"

I don’t understand how this case from 2014 has not been solved. I wonder if the FBI has become involved in this one and if not, then why?
I get the impression that the murderer was a random person, not known to the victims. In those cases, the suspect pool becomes huge and amorphous. Without DNA, identifying the murderer will be very difficult.

I don’t understand how this case from 2014 has not been solved. I wonder if the FBI has become involved in this one and if not, then why?
This article said the Netherland case was added to the FBI site, but I only see the Ballard, Rogers and Ellis cases. And I don’t like it.

Last edited:
I get the impression that the murderer was a random person, not known to the victims. In those cases, the suspect pool becomes huge and amorphous. Without DNA, identifying the murderer will be very difficult.
I was under the impression that this particular area in Kentucky is rife with corruption and cover ups. This is the same area Crystal Rogers went missing from, and then her father Tommy was murdered while out hunting. There have not been arrests in either of their deaths.

Kentucky State Trooper Jason Ellis was also ambushed and assassinated in that area too. There has not been any arrest in his case.

I was under the impression that this particular area in Kentucky is rife with corruption and cover ups. This is the same area Crystal Rogers went missing from, and then her father Tommy was murdered while out hunting. There have not been arrests in either of their deaths.

Kentucky State Trooper Jason Ellis was also ambushed and assassinated in that area too. There has not been any arrest in his case.
It is rife with police corruption, but I don't see the Nederland case as connected to that. I think they were victims of opportunity for a roving psychopath.

It is rife with police corruption, but I don't see the Nederland case as connected to that. I think they were victims of opportunity for a roving psychopath.
I agree, I don’t think their case is connected to the other murders either. I have reached out to the state police to try to obtain records from their case and was unable to because it’s “still under investigation” so.. I just hope the FBI can get it and finally give people a sense of closure! I think it could me be a couple of opportunistic psychos, because the ways in which the two were murdered differently, but it seems so personal at the same time! I would like to know what evidence they were able to collect and if they’ve checked cameras from all gas stations in surrounding areas looking for that car.

In January 2023, a special prosecutor was assigned to the other three Nelson County investigations but was asked not to interfere with the Netherland investigation.

Back when the special prosecutor was first assigned to the cases of the other 3 murders and not to the Netherland cases, I believed then and still today that the other 3 murders were related and the Netherland cases were not, I also believe LE has an unnamed suspect in the Netherland murders but do not have the evidence to make an arrest, MOO.

The Bardstown Netherland Murders Were A Gang Initiation, According To Anonymous Inmate

From this article:

When Bauer pressed him for details about how he knew it was gang initiation, he said, "Well, I know they was tortured. I know that they were tied to their chairs. I know that one of 'em had her throat slit. They was stabbed, and one was shot. I know that trinkets were taken as trophies."

[snip]

To further investigate the inmate's claims, Bauer and retired homicide detective Dwayne Stanton met with Kathy's daughter and Samantha's sister, Holly Netherland Williams. While Holly was unable to confirm the inmate's claims, she said his theories about the gang initiation and trophies being taken from the crime scene were possible.
I have a couple of questions. Someone mentioned that Samantha's hair had been cut. Is this a rumor or something LE said?
RSBBM
If SN's hair had been cut, then perhaps it was her hair (or, a good lock of it) that was taken as a trophy, if the initiation theory is correct. IDK if typical forensics would analyze this kind of detail (or is even possible), i.e. the proportion of her pre-existing hair strands to what was found at the CS, but if it was, that would IMHO certainly not be something that LE would want to release to the public.
FWIW, Kathy's and Sam's was another of the many cases I followed here long before I joined.

All MOO

RSBBM
If SN's hair had been cut, then perhaps it was her hair (or, a good lock of it) that was taken as a trophy, if the initiation theory is correct. IDK if typical forensics would analyze this kind of detail (or is even possible), i.e. the proportion of her pre-existing hair strands to what was found at the CS, but if it was, that would IMHO certainly not be something that LE would want to release to the public.
FWIW, Kathy's and Sam's was another of the many cases I followed here long before I joined.

All MOO
While it is possible that the Netherland murders were gang initiations, I tend to doubt it. I worked in the criminal justice system for 37 years, so I do have some understanding of gangs etc. When gang members commit murders, the victims are almost always rival gang members. I believe and it is MOO, the motive here is either something we are not aware of it is something we don't want to believe.

Simply based on the brutality of these murders, I still can't get over the fact there was no evidence pointing to a suspect found at the scene.

jmo
What you wrote leads me to believe that the killer(s) went there prepared to do what they did and were careful not to leave any evidence. In other words, they new exactly what they were doing.

What you wrote leads me to believe that the killer(s) went there prepared to do what they did and were careful not to leave any evidence. In other words, they new exactly what they were doing.

That's certainly possible.

And, I agree with you... I've always been doubtful of the gang initiation theory.

jmo

There are lots of different types of gangs. I am not aware of any that murdered random citizens as an initiation. If there is any precedent for that sort of thing by any type gang that operate in Kentucky, I might reconsider, but otherwise I would dismiss it outright.

We do not have the full details of the crime scene or the autopsies so we can’t be certain but, from what I have read, Samantha was definitely targeted while Kathy may have been collateral damage. The fact that entrance was made through the front door suggested that the perpetrator (s) were not regular visitors at the home. It appears that Kathy was shot and killed when she answered the door but Samantha was chased down and violently beaten on the face and head. Both women they had their throats cut; presumably to be certain they were dead. There was no sign of sexual assault.

Everything I have read describes them as very normal, low risk people that did not have any questionable associates or participate in sketchy activities. Kathy was a long time Special Ed teacher who was recently widowed. Samantha was a scholastic high achiever who was reported by relatives not having a boyfriend and not really dating. They denied she was involved in drugs, social conflicts or any kind of significant High School drama. There was one other daughter who was away at college. She had a boyfriend who was ex military that Kathy didn’t approve of but otherwise appears normal with no particular issues. Other family members didn’t think they were involved. Obviously, there may be things that went on in their lives that haven’t come out but otherwise they seem improbable victims with no connection to the other cases. Murderers, hitmen do occasionally make mistakes; getting addresses wrong. A lot of possibilities exist.

We know a gun was used in Jason, Tommy, Kathy and likely Crystal’s murders. Do we know if Kathy was killed by a rifle or pistol? A hunter would have access to knives, guns and coveralls/boots. Maybe disrobe once outside the house or inside the car trash bag it and be on your way. I am not buying this was a case of mistaken identity. GPS and social media offer many ways to identify and track people. Anyone bringing a cell phone jammer to this crime knew exactly what they were doing. It has been reported that Nick Houck was previously reprimanded for some bad choices while working as a Bardstown cop. Failing to render aid, failure to issue citations and I can’t recall what else. Could Kathy and/or Samantha have filed a complaint regarding some situation with Nick while on duty? I also kinda like the guy turning on Brooks Houck for this crime. Someone possibly paid him to murder the ladies but why? He has quite the criminal history and IMO would be perfectly capable of committing two crimes of this nature. Thoughts?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pacobasal
Back