KY KY - Katie Gray, 10 months, West Paducah, 29 Nov 2004

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Article on the front page of today's Paducah Sun informs that Katie Gray's father, Johnnie, attempted but survived suicide yesterday by setting off 2 "bug bombs" in his apartment. He composed 2 handwritten notes and a video file on his computer, none of which included admission of wrong-doing in Katie's disappearance in Massac Creek. According to police quoted in the paper, the communications described Katie's situation as accidental.

Katie's mother Sandy Gray was not at the apartment because she is in a neighboring county jail serving 100 days for violating a 2002 parole (DUI conviction).

Quoting the Sun quoting county attorney Tim Kaltenbach: "When it becomes clear that they are not going to find the child's body, then we'll take it to a grand jury."

No indication of when or how it will "become clear".

When I saw that something had been posted, I was hoping that they had found the little angels body and could put her to rest. I hope that they find her soon.

out of curiousity, why would you bring a diaper bag with you on a midnight drive to get a baby to sleep?

I've done the driving at night thing with my daughter, but I never brought her diaper bag along with us.

I suppose it could've already been in the car. It just seems like those things were just thrown into the river.

I hope and pray that I am wrong.

and for what it's worth, the woman could've been pregnant during the "accident" right??

Today's Paducah Sun describes a day-long search yesterday in wooded areas adjoining and near the Grays' apartment. There was one cadaver dog and searchers on all-terrain vehicles. Nothing was found, apparently.

The article states that Sheriff Augustus and county coroner Dan Sims say that because there's been no trace of the baby & car seat in the creek that they both "aren't eliminating the possibility that something else happened to her and that her body may be elsewhere".

More from Augustus, quoted in the Sun:
"With all of the debris in the creek, I don't see any way that the car seat could have floated all the way to the Ohio River. We couldn't get through it (the creek) in a boat, so I don't see how the car seat could have gotten through."

Sims is quoted as saying the car seat and body together would have weighed more than 25 pounds, which should have caused the seat to sink very near to where the car seat entered the water.

The creek has been excavated with heavy equipment, though, and no sign of the car seat or the body.

Maybe this is part of the process of "not finding the body" that will lead to a grand jury presentation.

Oh god, poor baby.
I hope that if they did do it, and it wasn't an accident
they will tell them where to find her little body.
horrible!
I swear it makes me want to just move away to a secluded island with my little girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LP thanks for the update I keep checking in to see if there is any news on Katie. This is really sad, kinda had my doubts from the beginning that they were telling the truth. I am just praying they find her little body.

sharon25 said:
out of curiousity, why would you bring a diaper bag with you on a midnight drive to get a baby to sleep?

I've done the driving at night thing with my daughter, but I never brought her diaper bag along with us.

I suppose it could've already been in the car. It just seems like those things were just thrown into the river.

I hope and pray that I am wrong.

and for what it's worth, the woman could've been pregnant during the "accident" right??

I would have taken the diaper bag and probably even a bottle with me, even on a midnight drive to put the baby to sleep.
I was one of those people who worried about being out with the baby and being involved in an accident or the car breaking down so I felt I had to be prepared, just in case. I always took the diaper bag and a bottle with me, when I just had to run to the grocery to pick up one item.

mysteriew said:
I would have taken the diaper bag and probably even a bottle with me, even on a midnight drive to put the baby to sleep.
I was one of those people who worried about being out with the baby and being involved in an accident or the car breaking down so I felt I had to be prepared, just in case. I always took the diaper bag and a bottle with me, when I just had to run to the grocery to pick up one item.
yea, I can see your point.
Whenever I would drive my daughter
around I would really just drive around
the block a few times *lol*.

I think the biggest factor in this case
is the fact that the baby has not been found.
I think that speaks volumes.

I just wish they'd find her, poor little thing. What are the suspicions of LE, or do we know? Do they really believe the parents' story?

Today's paper reports that there is a $2500 reward offered to anyone finding Katie's body.

Also that Katie's mom finished her 100 days in jail for DUI conviction and has just been released.

LovelyPigeon said:
Today's paper reports that there is a $2500 reward offered to anyone finding Katie's body.

Also that Katie's mom finished her 100 days in jail for DUI conviction and has just been released.
if they find the body in the river- will we ever know what really happened?
Prayers for this little angel.

Any new information?

The only article I found required a paid subscription and the title was:

"[size=-1]Prosecutor gets Katie Gray's file for a review"[/size]

Katie Gray Case Headed to Grand Jury

Monday, October 24, 2005
By Anna Prendergast

Subpeonas were served on two key investigators in the disappearance of Katie Gray in Massac Creek on Novermber 30, 2004.

Sources tell NewsChannel 6 the Lead Investigator, McCracken County Detective Tom Emery and County Coroner Dan Sims were served with Grand Jury subpeonas on Monday. Commonwealth Attorney Tim Kaltenbach has been reviewing materials from the case for several weeks now.

Katie Gray disappeared 11 months ago. The 10-month-old's parents say she was swept away after their SUV stalled in a rain swollen Massac Creek just west of Paducah. Numerous searches in and along the creek have turned up nothing.

In May, 2004, crews built two levees to hold back the water. They used water pumps to reroute water away from the area where Katie's parents say they dropped her. McCracken County Coroner, Dan Sims, "The first searches there's always been a lot of water in there and we couldn't see the bottom. So, it's not to say we weren't missing something."

http://www.wpsdtv.com/articles/stories/public/200510/24/0aaT_local_news.html

Folks around here are expecting the DA to ask the grand jury for an indictment for some kind of wrongful death charge.

Since extensive searches have turned up no sign of Katie or the car seat, LE is expected to make the case that the Grays have lied about what happened to Katie and where she was last in their possession. If that's the case, the argument will be that because Katie hasn't been found it is evidence that something happened to her other than what the parents have said happened, and that it happened elsewhere than Massac Creek.

I was thinking about katie the other day and wondering if there were updates.... thanks for the information.

fourboys said:
In May, 2004, crews built two levees to hold back the water. They used water pumps to reroute water away from the area where Katie's parents say they dropped her. McCracken County Coroner, Dan Sims, "The first searches there's always been a lot of water in there and we couldn't see the bottom. So, it's not to say we weren't missing something."

http://www.wpsdtv.com/articles/stories/public/200510/24/0aaT_local_news.html

There's your reasonable doubt. I'd like to hear what else they have on the parents.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08
Back