GUILTY KY - Paige Johnson, 17, found deceased, Florence, 23 Sept 2010 *arrest in 2020*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Attorney Eric Deters said Tuesday that he would file paperwork on behalf of Johnson's mother, Donna Johnson, to have the 18-year-old declared dead.

Afterward, they plan to sue Bumpass for wrongful death. Deters said he could not plead the Fifth Amendment, which permits defendants to avoid incriminating themselves, in a civil case.

I think mom should look for a new lawyer. Bumpass most definitely CAN assert his 5th ammendment rights. He can also refuse to answer questions when being deposed, and then it is up to a judge to determine if the question is ligitimate and compliant with his constitutional rights.

The mom also needs to be aware that if she will require evidence to succeed in such a suit, and since LE has none she probably doesn't either. What LE does have, they are not going to give her because its an ongoing investigation. The case will be thrown out if there is no evidence and she could end up footing the bill for the costs.

Missing teen's mom coping

Donna Johnson has refocused her life on the four children she is currently raising since her teenage daughter went missing one year ago this week.

[snip]

She also gets to see Paige's 3-year-old daughter, Makenzie, on the weekends. Makenzie is being raised by her father and his family.

[snip]

Johnson said she is not emotionally prepared to admit that Paige may be dead, but she is preparing to ask the courts to declare her daughter deceased. Her attorney, Eric Deters, said that would allow Johnson to be appointed administrator of Paige's estate and file a wrongful death suit against Jacob Bumpass, the last person seen with Paige.

[snip]

Jones and Sanders said they are pursuing leads but would not elaborate on any clues they may have uncovered.

More: http://communitypress.cincinnati.com/article/AB/20110918/NEWS0103/109180381/Missing-teen-s-mom-coping?odyssey=nav|head

I am stunned that she wants to have her declared dead. It's only been a year.

What estate?
Paige was 17, she has no assets.

They already get to see Paige's daughter. If she hopes to go for custody I hope that doesn't work... that little girl should stay where she is.

The only thing they gain here is the ability to sue Jacob, which isn't going to work because he will plead the 5th... just like Casey Anthony did.
Even if it did work, Jacob isn't really rolling in money either. They aren't going to get anything if they sue him.

I don't think there is enough to prove Paige is dead.
Paige had ambitions... she wanted to be something in life, do something with her life.
It is entirely possible that she didn't feel she could do that in her current situation.

It has happened before... even if it meant leaving a child behind.
It is likely? No.
It is possible? YES.

There is also the abduction possibility. Nobody ever thinks someone is being held hostage for months or years.
I can only imagine how Elizabeth or Jaycee or Shawn would have felt coming back... to find out they had been declared dead, given up on.

If Paige is declared dead, nobody is going to look for her alive.
So I certainly hope she isn't abducted and alive... or declaring her dead may ensure she becomes just that.

It's only been a year. Wow.

Are Local Missing Person Cases Related To Others?

Are two area missing person cases connected with the disappearances of four other women near the Tri-state area?

Some bloggers think so, suggesting that the disappearances of Paige Johnson and Katelyn Markham may be linked to other cases in Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio and Tennessee.

I agree with Paige's Mom. I don't see this myself. Too far spread out. (I'm from that region of the US originally).

I say Bumpass had something to do with Paige. But that's just me.

It's so she file a wrongful death suit against Jacob Bumpass, the last person seen with Paige, not to handle her estate and the assets.

I am stunned that she wants to have her declared dead. It's only been a year.

What estate?
Paige was 17, she has no assets.

They already get to see Paige's daughter. If she hopes to go for custody I hope that doesn't work... that little girl should stay where she is.

The only thing they gain here is the ability to sue Jacob, which isn't going to work because he will plead the 5th... just like Casey Anthony did.
Even if it did work, Jacob isn't really rolling in money either. They aren't going to get anything if they sue him.

I don't think there is enough to prove Paige is dead.
Paige had ambitions... she wanted to be something in life, do something with her life.
It is entirely possible that she didn't feel she could do that in her current situation.

It has happened before... even if it meant leaving a child behind.
It is likely? No.
It is possible? YES.

There is also the abduction possibility. Nobody ever thinks someone is being held hostage for months or years.
I can only imagine how Elizabeth or Jaycee or Shawn would have felt coming back... to find out they had been declared dead, given up on.

If Paige is declared dead, nobody is going to look for her alive.
So I certainly hope she isn't abducted and alive... or declaring her dead may ensure she becomes just that.

It's only been a year. Wow.

I agree with Paige's Mom. I don't see this myself. Too far spread out. (I'm from that region of the US originally).

I say Bumpass had something to do with Paige. But that's just me.

I know people who live near Katelyn Markham and work near the location of Paige's disappearance. This is NOT far apart, IMHO. I have driven this stretch 2 or 3 times a day, during a good "partying" season at their ages. I am very thankful to be a new member of this site, and am extremely interested in the missing cases from my town. I sure hope new info arises, as does everyone here, I am sure.

I know people who live near Katelyn Markham and work near the location of Paige's disappearance. This is NOT far apart, IMHO. I have driven this stretch 2 or 3 times a day, during a good "partying" season at their ages. I am very thankful to be a new member of this site, and am extremely interested in the missing cases from my town. I sure hope new info arises, as does everyone here, I am sure.

Welcome to WS :seeya:

Paige's mom has stayed in mind from the first time I saw her on TV; I do agree with her that the answer to where Paige is lies with the "man" she was last known to be with...not the random "boogie man." I have no idea what to make of Katelyn's disappearance...can't think why she would have left her apartment so late at night, unless with someone she knew well. Most strangers who break in do their damage to the victim right there and leave...
just my opinion. I don't believe the cases are related.

Just wishing Paige and Katelyn and so many others could be found...can't imagine the agony of being the family of a missing person.

man-oh-man, does my neck of the woods know how to ignore the incredible vanishing women! This young woman has not been mentioned in a very very very long time here.... This is not okay to me---- You are still thought of Paige. Katelyn Markham went missing after you and this town has disappointed you tremendously. I am so sorry.

tears.

man-oh-man, does my neck of the woods know how to ignore the incredible vanishing women! This young woman has not been mentioned in a very very very long time here.... This is not okay to me---- You are still thought of Paige. Katelyn Markham went missing after you and this town has disappointed you tremendously. I am so sorry.

tears.

I have a family member who lives in the area now and works with the media...
I asked him about the lack of media for Paige.
His... very blunt, although a bit cold response was:

"If her own mother has written her off as dead, we should be using that media attention for girls there is still hope for." :(

When the family isn't begging for help, when the family isn't looking... other people aren't going to be looking either.
That was exactly my fear. If her mother believes she's dead... so does everyone else. Why cover the story?

Since I'm from this area of the country, this case being "forgotten" bothers me. I know the connection with other cases was brought up. I did a little searching on it and found some interesting articles and blogs. I don't know if their theories are right--only time will tell.

A wordpress article found by searching under Katelyn Markham and Paige Johnson's names on google (It seems a bit shady, though).

and

http://www.wlwt.com/r/30007285/detail.html

It wouldn't be the first time this area has raised people's suspicions of having a serial murderer. Several people in the Cinci area have sworn there was one up and down the I-75 corridor in the 80's and possible 90's.

A psychologist and profiler that weighed in on this, in one article, claims that the area is too large. I don't know, I remember being in Washington when they were looking into Green River being connected to crimes up and down the West Coast. Last I read, they still aren't sure that Ridgeway didn't cover that whole area.

Sadly, I think she is probably dead.
yes, she probably is. She has been declared dead. But that doesn't end this. Where is her body? who did this to her? Why did they do this to her? How did they do this? Why was this done to her? Will those involved be held accountable for their actions?

not over by far.

some of us will not let this go away, even though the media, the family and the "friends" of Paige seem to have let it go----

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Binx005
Back