GUILTY KY - Paige Johnson, 17, found deceased, Florence, 23 Sept 2010 *arrest in 2020*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I know people who live near Katelyn Markham and work near the location of Paige's disappearance. This is NOT far apart, IMHO. I have driven this stretch 2 or 3 times a day, during a good "partying" season at their ages. I am very thankful to be a new member of this site, and am extremely interested in the missing cases from my town. I sure hope new info arises, as does everyone here, I am sure.

I was commenting about the article that Shewhomustnotbenamed posted in the post directly above mine.

The article was suggesting a connection between young women that are missing in IN, OH, KY and TN.

That's a pretty far spread. I do agree that Markham and Johnson went missing within a radius of about 20 miles.

I still don't see how all 4 of these women could be connected as of yet and agreed with Paige's Mom when she said she didn't think it was connected either.

IMHO Bumpass is responsible for what happened to Paige given what we've seen so far but he might not be if there is information that hasn't been reported on.

About Mom filing for death in absentia doesn't really cause me any concern. Unfortunately so many of the family members in our archives have had to do this. I am wondering if there are any benefits that can be applied for in order to help Paige's child---SS and such? I hope so. I don't have a lot of knowledge about those things so hopefully a member can answer. I've often wondered about these kiddo's of missing parents and if they can get any help or if they are just out of luck financially.

Prayers for Paige's family, child and friends.

My knowledge of SSI here is limited (in Ohio, not KY)..but I do know that children of the dead receive SSI benefits and a much more substantial welfare package (cash assistance and better housing assistance). Its not enough IMHO, but there is a reason one would want to follow through with having someone declared missing. I don't know the financial situation of the family, so I am in no way insinuating anything. Just trying to answer your question. :)

I am not a mother, but MY mother was very sad to hear that Paiges mom was having her declared dead in her opinion, so soon.

My opinion on the serial killer theory, is that, from my understanding, the bloggers theory follows the Interstate 275 rather well (not perfectly) and that based on the truck driver/SO offender, I see it as a theory. I have not tried to discredit his theory though, so I am too uneducated to agree or disagree.

I am very scared because I live and work in between these two locations, and socialize there too. I try not to be alone, ever and I have had to become armed as I am outside alone for some of my employment.

I appreciate the discussions on these boards tremendously.

Bumpass is still in a KY jail, for unrelated charges, correct?

Saly, this thread has gone longer than 10 days without a word...there just has not been any news at all. When the person many consider to be the main POI is in jail and refuses to talk...there is only so much to be done.

Though they had said a year or so ago that Paige was likely to be within the huge wooded state park (I believe?) and that it would take a great deal of work and effort to search it all...yet I have not heard of any recent searching being done. Seems they could at least do periodic searches and mark off areas already searched as they move along? I don't know.

My knowledge of SSI here is limited (in Ohio, not KY)..but I do know that children of the dead receive SSI benefits and a much more substantial welfare package (cash assistance and better housing assistance). Its not enough IMHO, but there is a reason one would want to follow through with having someone declared missing. I don't know the financial situation of the family, so I am in no way insinuating anything. Just trying to answer your question. :)

I am not a mother, but MY mother was very sad to hear that Paiges mom was having her declared dead in her opinion, so soon.

My opinion on the serial killer theory, is that, from my understanding, the bloggers theory follows the Interstate 275 rather well (not perfectly) and that based on the truck driver/SO offender, I see it as a theory. I have not tried to discredit his theory though, so I am too uneducated to agree or disagree.

I am very scared because I live and work in between these two locations, and socialize there too. I try not to be alone, ever and I have had to become armed as I am outside alone for some of my employment.

I appreciate the discussions on these boards tremendously.

Bumpass is still in a KY jail, for unrelated charges, correct?

I haven't checked to see if he's still in lately Kate, I hope he is but that's JMHO.

:)

yes, she probably is. She has been declared dead. But that doesn't end this. Where is her body? who did this to her? Why did they do this to her? How did they do this? Why was this done to her? Will those involved be held accountable for their actions?

not over by far.

some of us will not let this go away, even though the media, the family and the "friends" of Paige seem to have let it go----

Yes, odds are that she is dead.

Odds were that Elizabeth Smart was dead.
And Jaycee Dugard.
And Shawn Hornbeck.

Who here, who knew those cases REALLY thought any of them would come back alive?

Elizabeth's mother at one point "moved on." Accepting Elizabeth was gone.
She didn't have her declared dead so she could sue the estate of the only suspect at the time.
She didn't publicly announce it and cause all the media attention to stop.
She just privately came to the conclusion that her daughter likely wasn't coming home.
She was wrong.

Bumpass doesn't have anything, why file a wrongful death lawsuit?
Paige's family doesn't have custody of Paige's daughter so it would be up to the paternal family to determine if financial help is needed.

Yes, Paige is probably dead.
But you don't tell the media you believe your child is dead... when you have no evidence.

Because then... nobody looks twice at that scared blonde girl walking down the sidewalk...
And what if she's not dead... and nobody is looking for her?

no legal action against bumpass. police tearing down flyers, and her mother has declared her dead. I am devestated, that no one in the entire world is looking for her, or her body. Just makes me so so so sad.

I'm coming to this a little late, but couldn't filing a wrongful death suit be a way of bringing new attention to the case and perhaps trying to pull new information out of Bumpass? It worked in the OJ Simpson case, yeah?

Or by declaring Paide dead and having a trial, even if its a wrongful death suit, it's a way of achieving some level of closure without having a body and a criminal trial?

Just some possibilities.

To file a wrongfull death suite you have to have evidence that the person actually is dead and/or that the person you are accusing is responsible. As far as I can tell she has neither. Simply having PJ declared dead won't be enough, the case would be dismissed long before it got to trial.

You can't just make stuff up and go on a witch hunt, judges won't allow it.

Why did the police STOP paige's investigation??

slightly off topic, but related.... anyone familiar with the Michelle Parker case, or Ayla Reynolds case; at what point can Michelles mother, or Aylas father try to declare them dead?... will the police shout" Whoa, hold up, the investigation is open and you can't declare them dead yet.." or what?

Yes, odds are that she is dead.

Odds were that Elizabeth Smart was dead.
And Jaycee Dugard.
And Shawn Hornbeck.

Who here, who knew those cases REALLY thought any of them would come back alive?

Elizabeth's mother at one point "moved on." Accepting Elizabeth was gone.
She didn't have her declared dead so she could sue the estate of the only suspect at the time.
She didn't publicly announce it and cause all the media attention to stop.
She just privately came to the conclusion that her daughter likely wasn't coming home.
She was wrong.

Bumpass doesn't have anything, why file a wrongful death lawsuit?
Paige's family doesn't have custody of Paige's daughter so it would be up to the paternal family to determine if financial help is needed.

Yes, Paige is probably dead.
But you don't tell the media you believe your child is dead... when you have no evidence.

Because then... nobody looks twice at that scared blonde girl walking down the sidewalk...
And what if she's not dead... and nobody is looking for her?

I haven't been reading here in a while so I don't know all the issues. But from what I understand Paige's mother is filing for wrongful death?

It may or may not be for the money. In a case where there is a suspect, but the suspect isn't talking to LE, and there is some evidence that the suspect is involved it can be beneficial for the family to file a wrongful death lawsuit.

LE cannot force the suspect to talk or to answer questions. But with a wrongful death lawsuit they can force him into court. In court he can be called to the stand and questions can be asked. He can answer or be held in contempt. He can take the 5th. Which basically says that he cannot answer because the answer will incriminate him. All answers are on the record and can be used in any future criminal trial. All answers can be compared to the answers he has already given about Paige and compared to the known evidence.

If they can get him into court they will at least be able to ask him questions and get his responses on the record. It has been used as an investigative tool in other cases with mixed results. But at least it is some movement of the case.

I don't really think that it is for the money because this guy doesn't have any money. I think it is probably for the furtherance of the case.

After all, even if she declares her daughter dead, she doesn't really lose anything other than the emotional cost. If Paige should show up at some point, no one is going to force her to carry out the declaration of death.

I do not think she is currently suing for wrongful death..... She did have her declared dead a few months ago.

I haven't been reading here in a while so I don't know all the issues. But from what I understand Paige's mother is filing for wrongful death?

It may or may not be for the money. In a case where there is a suspect, but the suspect isn't talking to LE, and there is some evidence that the suspect is involved it can be beneficial for the family to file a wrongful death lawsuit.

LE cannot force the suspect to talk or to answer questions. But with a wrongful death lawsuit they can force him into court. In court he can be called to the stand and questions can be asked. He can answer or be held in contempt. He can take the 5th. Which basically says that he cannot answer because the answer will incriminate him. All answers are on the record and can be used in any future criminal trial. All answers can be compared to the answers he has already given about Paige and compared to the known evidence.

If they can get him into court they will at least be able to ask him questions and get his responses on the record. It has been used as an investigative tool in other cases with mixed results. But at least it is some movement of the case.

I don't really think that it is for the money because this guy doesn't have any money. I think it is probably for the furtherance of the case.

After all, even if she declares her daughter dead, she doesn't really lose anything other than the emotional cost. If Paige should show up at some point, no one is going to force her to carry out the declaration of death.

I think she stands to lose a lot.
If Paige comes back and finds out she is declared dead?
How would YOU feel?
If they tell her daughter she's dead and she comes back... how will her daughter feel?

Not to mention... getting declared UNdead, is kind of a difficult process.
Generally something you should wait on until you have a body or several years of absence. That's why it's usually 7 years.

No judge in their right mind would even allow it to get to court based on what we know so far, so that isnt going to happen. The very first thing the defendant's team would file is a motion for dismissal, and a judge would have no reason not to grant it. There would be no questions.

The usual reason to have someone who is missing declared dead is to wind up their estate or to resolve the legal standing of any dependents they might have.

so, her mom declared her dead, to have guardianship over her chid(ren)...I can only assume

JMO but...

I hope not. :please: Last I heard Paige's daughter was still living with the child's father and/or his family.

I HOPE it remains that way for this child's sake. That is where this child has lived most of her life and it is where she should remain living.

Paige's family can have visitation, as they have, as they should (and as Paige did) without having Paige declared dead.

The father's family has been extremely kind through the whole thing. I don't think there was ever a formal visitation agreement in place.

Paige did not have custody of her and Paige obviously did not feel that her family was capable of having custody.
Paige chose the paternal family to take the child when it was up to PAIGE to decide. (I think she chose very wisely.)
I see NO reason to uproot the child from her home and do it against Paige's decision for her daughter. :twocents:

So what other reason would a woman declare her daughter dead so soon after her disappearance? And what exactly IS the time frame between last date of known alive and the day her mother petitioned the court for her to be declared dead---

Missing Sept 23, 2010

Sept 13, 2011 is when they announced the decision to petition to have her declared dead.
So not quite a year after she went missing... and 2 weeks after her 18th birthday.

It appears the intent WAS to sue the person of interest in the case. I don't know if they did.

what exactly makes this a "homicide" over a "kidnapping" or a "runaway"...... so confusing for me. Do police have to agree>believe victim is dead..or is it up to the parents and a judge?

what exactly makes this a "homicide" over a "kidnapping" or a "runaway"...... so confusing for me. Do police have to agree>believe victim is dead..or is it up to the parents and a judge?

I have no idea. :banghead:

They did find red kool aid in the person of interests kitchen... does that count? :what:

He drank alcohol with Paige (so did MANY others), his phone pinged in a place people felt he shouldn't have been, he quit cooperating and has a criminal record. That's really about it.

Which is enough for the family to write Paige off as dead. :waitasec:
There is no body, no blood, no weapon, no witness... just red kool aid, contributing to the delinquency of a minor and a criminal record.

In my opinion Paige had REASON to run away and I would have applauded her if she did so.

I am not defending Bumpass and saying he is innocent.
I am saying that if Paige was MY daughter, sister, or niece, or cousin... I would be fighting to prevent them from writing her off as dead.

Dave Holloway continued to pay Natalee's medical insurance and hold her college fund, for more than 6 YEARS before having her declared dead.

Most of the missing women we see have not been declared dead, ever. Even after years. They are adults who actually had property or vehicles.

Most parents don't believe they are dead until they see it. A mother wanting a child declared dead after less than a year... is just foreign to me.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Binx005
Back