KY - Rowan County clerk Kim Davis Jailed for Contempt, 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well in the end it doesn't matter much to the people who are on the suffering end of the discrimination. If you deny a group of people their legal rights it's an act of hostility even if you speak in very gentle terms and quote a lot of loving religious verses.

She also caused a deal of trouble to heterosexual couples who wanted to get married in Rowan county.

She was not required to give anyone her religious blessing, just do her job and issue marriage licences (a secular document).

[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]. Post of the Day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm really not trying to argue with you about this, but more just put it into context of how big an issue is this, really.
I personally have been married for 33 years, and have never, not once, had to produce or show the marriage license. I hope if I ever need to, I'll be able to find it.

I have been married for 36 years and a long time ago when my husband enlisted in the U.S. Army he had to produce our marriage license in order for me and our children to receive benefits/allotments. Later, when he was employed by a rail car repair facility. in which he paid into the U.S. Railroad Retirement Board, he had to show his employer our marriage certificate.

I have no doubt that if my husband dies before I do, the two companies that he has life insurance policies with will want to see our marriage certificate so that they can verify that we were legally married before they pay out any benefits.

Well in the end it doesn't matter much to the people who are on the suffering end of the discrimination. If you deny a group of people their legal rights it's an act of hostility even if you speak in very gentle terms and quote a lot of loving religious verses.

She also caused a deal of trouble to heterosexual couples who wanted to get married in Rowan county.

She was not required to give anyone her religious blessing, just do her job and issue marriage licences (a secular document).

:thinking: I don't disagree.

The quote from Kim Davis in this article actually made me laugh.
This woman has no clue what religious persecution is.
How unbelievably dramatic. :rolleyes:

The predominant religion here doesn't believe in working on Sundays.
Cops work on Sunday. Professional basketball players work on Sunday.
Doctors work on Sunday. Managers of restaurants open on Sunday, work on Sunday.

I know people who have refused to be promoted to management.
I know a person who turned down professional basketball.
I know people who didn't become cops, doctors or nurses.
They made that choice because it would have caused issues with their faith.

Other people chose to take those professions anyway and find a balance.
That's all this woman has to do, find a balance or find other employment.
Really, it is NOT rocket science. :facepalm:

I have no doubt that if my husband dies before I do, the two companies that he has life insurance policies with will want to see our marriage certificate so that they can verify that we were legally married before they pay out any benefits.

SBM

I would think the life insurance would go to the beneficiaries named in the policy. I don't think that a beneficiary has to be a spouse.

JMO.

She needs to just do the job she was elected to do and leave her personal opinions, beliefs, convictions at the door. Her "rights" as she perceives them, do not supersede anyone else's. If she can't do that, she needs to find another job. This behavior would NEVER be tolerated in the medical community and she would b,e "bye Felicia". IMO

SBM

I would think the life insurance would go to the beneficiaries named in the policy. I don't think that a beneficiary has to be a spouse.

JMO.

Did not think of that..so sad too bad for the surviving spouse! Would probably be tied up in the legal system for years. MOO

I just googled it, and there is only 23,500 people in the whole county. How many people get married there?

So by your reasoning, only larger municipalities are afforded civil rights?

Interesting. And kinda scary.

She needs to just do the job she was elected to do and leave her personal opinions, beliefs, convictions at the door. Her "rights" as she perceives them, do not supersede anyone else's. If she can't do that, she needs to find another job. This behavior would NEVER be tolerated in the medical community and she would b,e "bye Felicia". IMO

Just shot Pinot Grigio out of my nose! "Bye Felicia" is a favorite salutation for persons going on break at my workplace. I know there is nothing funny about this hateful discrimination, but "bye Felicia" made me lol...

Except for pharmacists in six states - AZ, AR, GA, ID, MS, and SD - who can legally refuse to fill prescriptions for moral or religious reasons.

http://www.nwlc.org/resource/pharmacy-refusals-101

The quote from Kim Davis in this article actually made me laugh.
This woman has no clue what religious persecution is.
How unbelievably dramatic. :rolleyes:

The predominant religion here doesn't believe in working on Sundays.
Cops work on Sunday. Professional basketball players work on Sunday.
Doctors work on Sunday. Managers of restaurants open on Sunday, work on Sunday.

I know people who have refused to be promoted to management.
I know a person who turned down professional basketball.
I know people who didn't become cops, doctors or nurses.
They made that choice because it would have caused issues with their faith.

Other people chose to take those professions anyway and find a balance.
That's all this woman has to do, find a balance or find other employment.
Really, it is NOT rocket science. :facepalm:

Ha ha, I used to wait tables. I often had tract-leaving, non-tipping customers who would try to witness to me. My favorite was when they would talk about my not being in church on Sunday. You know, at the same time they were in my booth, ordering food, and talking about how sinful it was to work on the Sabbath. While requiring me to work to deliver the food their oh-so-Christian perfection demanded (but could not be bothered to tip for).

Yes, I have issues. Mostly with hypocrites. :rolleyes:

Bigots throughout history have always indulged in offensive behavior and speech while claiming they are the offended ones.
Majorities persecuting other minorities while claiming they are the persecuted .
Actively victimizing others while shamelessly portraying themselves as victims.
Fawning over bullies as if they were heroes.
This Kim Davis nonsense is straight out of the play book.

Except for pharmacists in six states - AZ, AR, GA, ID, MS, and SD - who can legally refuse to fill prescriptions for moral or religious reasons.

http://www.nwlc.org/resource/pharmacy-refusals-101

I was told that here in LA (Louisiana), pharmacists had the same rights. I was humiliated by a Walgreen's pharmacist once, but upon calling corporate to complain, was told that it was up to a pharmacist's discretion which meds to fill.

My rx was for my child's ADHD meds. So yeah, deserving of persecution and personal vitriol.

A-holes are A-holes. They just have different costumes behind which to hide.

I was told that here in LA (Louisiana), pharmacists had the same rights. I was humiliated by a Walgreen's pharmacist once, but upon calling corporate to complain, was told that it was up to a pharmacist's discretion which meds to fill.

My rx was for my child's ADHD meds. So yeah, deserving of persecution and personal vitriol.

A-holes are A-holes. They just have different costumes behind which to hide.
I had a pharmacist ask me,upon discovering I had no insurance and thus was paying over $125/ month, if I was "sure I REALLY NEEDED" my antidepressant Rx? I was like, "Well, I'm here with no insurance knowing how much they cost, and still must get out of my [expletive] bed every day this month, so yes, I'm REALLY SURE they're REALLY NEEDED." Does she ask uninsured diabetics if they REALLY NEED their insulin? SMH

Sent from my LG-D321 using Tapatalk

I just thought I'd jump in here and express my opinion. When this lady ran for this office and was voted in, the law of the land was different than it is now. She did the job and seemed to be proficient at it. Then something changed, but she didn't change. I feel that she is entitled to her beliefs and opinions just like everyone else. She should be grandfathered in, and let the other clerks who don't have a problem, do this part of the job. How many people in that county actually apply for a marriage license in any give week anyway?
People are accusing her of being a hater at the same time they are hating on her.
Everyone is different, and have a different set of core beliefs.
Lastly, this is an elected office. When she comes up for re-election, let the voters of that county make the decision.
All MOO, and if you don't agree with me, that's OK, too.

BBM for focus.

Would you feel the same if her religious beliefs precluded her from issuing marriage licenses to interracial couples?

About 14 years ago, in Southern Calif., my 14 year old daughter's physician prescribed birth control pills for her heavy menstrual periods.

My husband went to the pharmacy to have the prescription filled. He came home and told me that that pharmacist dispensed the pills but then gave my husband a lecture about how young girls should not be on birth control. My husband told him that our daughter's DX was menorrhagia. Stupid did not even apologize. I called his supervisor and reported his uneducated/self-rightous *advertiser censored*. She apologized for his behavior. Still makes me mad when I think about it.

She's right about one thing--she is no hero! IMO she is a selfish, sanctimonious, abhorrent hypocrite who needs to shut up and go away.
Well-said!:clap::clap::clap::goodpost:

I just thought I'd jump in here and express my opinion. When this lady ran for this office and was voted in, the law of the land was different than it is now. She did the job and seemed to be proficient at it. Then something changed, but she didn't change. I feel that she is entitled to her beliefs and opinions just like everyone else. She should be grandfathered in, and let the other clerks who don't have a problem, do this part of the job. How many people in that county actually apply for a marriage license in any give week anyway?
People are accusing her of being a hater at the same time they are hating on her.
Everyone is different, and have a different set of core beliefs.
Lastly, this is an elected office. When she comes up for re-election, let the voters of that county make the decision.
All MOO, and if you don't agree with me, that's OK, too.

BBM. That's just it, she won't do that either. She refuses to step out of the way and let her deputies authorize the licenses. It's her way or the highway! She needs to be out of that job, because there is no way to "grandfather" her, and why should she continue to make $80/year for a clerical job that she is way underqualified for??? I have a Master's Degree and never made that kind of money!

About 14 years ago, in Southern Calif., my 14 year old daughter's physician prescribed birth control pills for her heavy menstrual periods.

My husband went to the pharmacy to have the prescription filled. He came home and told me that that pharmacist dispensed the pills but then gave my husband a lecture about how young girls should not be on birth control. My husband told him that our daughter's DX was menorrhagia. Stupid did not even apologize. I called his supervisor and reported his uneducated/self-rightous *advertiser censored*. She apologized for his behavior. Still makes me mad when I think about it.

The pharmacist who refused to fill my daughter's rx, not only refused it, but flipped it back across the counter at me, while saying "i'm not filling this". :(

I took it to the Rite Aid across the street and we have been loyal customers for the last decade. My daughter's pediatrician said she despised that Walgreens for how many patients of hers they had mistreated.

But the fact that corporate Walgreens stood by that obnoxious pharmacist and his (so I thought) illegal behavior just stunned me. Point is, if you can't obey the laws as pertain to your job, find another job, ahole.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back