KY - Rowan County clerk Kim Davis Jailed for Contempt, 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm committed to following it until she's thrown out, Brian Mason promoted to her job, and the licenses validated.

Same here. We need to stick with this one and be witnesses -- we need to keep it under the sun so that the law won't be perverted in dark places (metaphorically speaking). Keep the microscope on this woman and others in the county who might agree with her and also deny people the rights of the law.

Gay people have been reviled, put at the back of the bus, hurt, tortured, worse, etc., etc., etc. for far too long (I'm gonna restrain myself here, I promise.). Now that they have been given (earned) this right, one small-minded person is trying to deny this right to a group of gays who just happen to be in the same geographic area -- we don't want this to start to occur elsewhere, and that is one reason I am watching it closely as well. (I am straight, but what's fair is fair.) I also hold dear our right of religious freedom. This woman simply needs to resign her job and find another one that will allow her to feel good about, and honestly earn, a day's work. Or at least she should go about her current job with her mouth shut about her own religious feelings, and get to work. JMHO.

Where is da judge?

As I so lovingly posted on a FB comment on this subject, someone get his harlot off of her little press junket and into the jail cell for violating yet again, the court orders placed on her to do her effing job! Put her there, keep her there until she complies or until she is removed from office.

It's funny how neither gay marriage nor gay sex is written in the Ten Commandments. Adultery is though.
That would be true regarding the Ten Commandments. The big however is that the Ten Commandments, which were penned in the old testament, are not the only "laws of God" that some people base their religious beliefs upon. For example, Leviticus 20:13 (KJV), states, and I quote:

If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

There is also that bit about Sodom and Gomorrah. Am surprised the SF Bay area has not been already turned to stone!

But, I digress...

The point is, some people hold very strong religious convictions that are in line with the old testament. Or, otherwise put, that this woman doesn't want to issue marriage licenses to gay couples, in that it goes against her religious convictions, is not really all that surprising.

The bigger question is, when is our government really going to separate church and state? After all, if it were truly separate, the "gay marriage" issue wouldn't really be an issue. People, regardless of whether they were straight, gay, or what have you, would simply enter into civil contracts that afforded them legal protections and latitudes as necessary to make legal decisions, etcetera. Same said could proceed to celebrate their proclamations of love in whatever ceremony, under whatever religious, or non-religious, rubric, they so wish.

As for this woman? If anything, her actions, or rather, inactions, along with the fact that they're even considered news worthy, demonstrate just how tightly entwined church and state really is.

Anyway, just some food for thought...

Just to be clear, shadow, I know you were citing the beliefs of others. But I feel it necessary to correct their misconceptions about the content of the OT.

The tales of Sodom and Gomorrah have NOTHING to do with consensual homosexuality or marriage equality. The rabble outside Lot's house demands that he give them the angels-disguised-as-men so the angels can be GANG RAPED by the mob, something that remains illegal in this country. (Lot, we might note, offers the mob his own daughters to rape instead, so why anybody is using the OT as a moral guide escapes me.)

The laws of Leviticus include--in close proximity to the prohibition on homosexual behavior--passages calling the eating of shellfish an "abomination" (So why isn't Ms. Davis picketing Red Lobster?) and banning the wearing of two or more different kinds of fabric at the same time. (I'm just guessing based on appearances, but I bet Ms. Davis has worn a few polyester blends in her day!) Other "abominations" included trimming one's beard within a few days of the Sabbath, or, if one is a woman, attending temple services during menstruation.

As more than one expert has noted, the ancient Hebrews thought all "life" was contained in the man's sperm and the woman was merely an "incubator". As a small tribe surrounded by powerful neighbors, the Hebrews of the period were obsessed with increasing their population; hence, the so-called sin of "Onan", who was also to be condemned to death for "spilling his seed on the ground". (Something Catholics who use the "withdrawal method" ought to consider.)

To a lot of us, what is so galling about Davis and Santorum and Huckabee is the hypocrisy of cherry-picking those passages from the OT on which they decide to make moral stands. And then trying to impose their caprice on the rest of us.

Just HAD to share (found on my FaceBook newsfeed). The headline was " Just another day at the Rowan Co Clerks office here in Kentucky"... Lol bet Kim about filed another lawsuit over this one!,,,
6d33eba31343738366a6a36a2e270ca5.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To a lot of us, what is so galling about Davis and Santorum and Huckabee is the hypocrisy of cherry-picking those passages from the OT on which they decide to make moral stands. And then trying to impose their caprice on the rest of us.
Oh, I completely agree. Am just pointing out that, imho, the bigger problem is the lack of separation of church and state in the first place.

Sep 29 2015, 9:30 pm ET

Kim Davis' Lawyer Claims She Had Secret Meeting With Pope in D.C., He Said 'Stay Strong'

by Erik Ortiz

Attorneys for Kentucky official Kim Davis claimed Tuesday that she had a secret meeting with Pope Francis during his historic trip to America — and he supposedly told the defiant county clerk to "stay strong."

The clandestine communication occurred in Washington, D.C., on Thursday on the same day of the pontiff's historic speech to a joint session of Congress, according to Liberty Counsel, which has represented Davis in her legal battles...

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/po...-claims-she-had-secret-meeting-pope-d-n435916

I hope this is just BS. I'd really like to be able to like this pope.

I hope this is just BS. I'd really like to be able to like this pope.

I hear you, Montjoy ;) Pope Francis' schedule was air-tight, and I doubt he had time to meet with Kim Davis. I tend to think that, if Kim Davis had truly met with the Pope in Washington, D.C., it would have made headlines at the time and not a week later :moo:

Kim Davis' attorneys can "claim" whatever they want. Doesn't mean it's true ;)

I have my doubts. I can believe he met her because he met a lot of people. He asks everyone to pray for him. But why would she and her friends care what he thinks?

I'm watching Father James' Facebook page for an update.

https://www.facebook.com/FrJamesMartin

He previously tweeted:

Kim Davis's defense that she will not issue marriage licenses to gay couples because it goes against the teachings of "Jesus himself"...

.rings hollow when you discover that her own office issues applications for divorce, which was the clearest of all of Jesus's teachings...

...on marriage (Mt. 19:3-12). Applications for divorce in the Rowan County Clerk's Office, are found here: http://rowancountyclerk.com/legal-records/

[video=twitter;639503655746596865]https://twitter.com/jamesmartinsj/status/639503655746596865[/video]

https://twitter.com/jamesmartinsj/status/639503655746596865

(I can't figure out how to embed a tweet on here. I had it and then I lost it.)

I think Kim's lawyers might have missed this little tidbit:

But for veteran Vatican watcher John Thavis, the pontiff's most significant pontificating came July 29 when he gave a press conference on a flight back from Brazil.

"Who am I to judge?" he asked.

Francis was addressing the issue of gays in the church, but it was the tone as much as the topic that caught the public's attention.

[snip]

The fact that the pope — the infallible leader of the world's 1 billion Roman Catholics — refused to sit in judgement of gay priests (who were banned by his predecessor) was hailed as remarkable, even revolutionary.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/other/who-am-i-judge-popes-most-powerful-phrase-2013-f2D11791260

I don't want to believe, but the pope did try to execute a stay for the GA woman which is tonight.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/latest-execution-pope-bishop-urges-clemency-34131550

2:25 p.m.
Pope Francis' diplomatic representative to the U.S. is urging the Georgia Board of Pardons and Paroles to spare the life of a Georgia woman set to be executed Tuesday.
Kelly Gissendaner is scheduled to die by injection of pentobarbital at 7 p.m. at the state prison in Jackson. The 47-year-old was convicted of murder in the February 1997 slaying of her husband. She conspired with her lover, who stabbed Douglas Gissendaner to death.
Archbishop Carlo Maria Vigano wrote a letter Tuesday saying he was writing on behalf of Pope Francis. He cited an address the pope gave before a joint session of Congress last week during which the pontiff called for the abolition of the death penalty.
http://www.aol.com/article/2015/09/...|htmlws-main-bb|dl1|sec1_lnk2&pLid=1469364142

Wasn't the Pope personally intervening as far as I can tell. Although I'm not catholic, I really like this Pope, but if he met with that hypocrite Kim Davis, I think I've lost alittle respect for him. Not that I trust her lawyers. Lawyers and Politicians are the worst spinmeisters in the universe.
:moo:

Pope is neither confirming nor denying the meeting took place and says there will be no further comment on the matter.

I am baffled by this. Why not set the record straight (ha ha ha) one way or another?

If the meeting did take place, why keep it secret now?

Pope is neither confirming nor denying the meeting took place and says there will be no further comment on the matter.

I am baffled by this. Why not set the record straight (ha ha ha) one way or another?

If the meeting did take place, why keep it secret now?

They're trying to stay above the fray. Too late.

Congratulations to the hate group Liberty Counsel for wiping out the good will of a large number of non-Catholics who admired this Pope, even given profound differences of opinion on many issues.

His meeting with a lawbreaker backed by a hate group is compounded for me by another private meeting he had - with a group of nuns suing the government over the provision in "Obamacare" that allows for and covers birth control.

I've regretfully concluded that the Pope is a PR master, and not progressive in any way whatsoever.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB
Back