GUILTY KY - Ryan Poston, 29, murdered at his Highland Heights home, 12 Oct 2012

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have a hard time accepting that her first trial could not be referred to in this trial. That first trial was deemed flawed so everyone was to just pretend that trial never happened. But now with sentencing they have to give her the same or a lesser sentence than she got after her first conviction.

So...if the trial was flawed and needing a do-over, why not the sentence? Why is the judge restricted by a sentence that was the recommendation of a flawed jury in a trial that, for all intents and purposes, never happened?

The laws sure do slant in favor of the perpetrators. It makes me sick.

All I can say is good. I wasn't worried that the jurors would find her not guilty- she is definitely guilty of first degree murder and nothing else, IMO.

Thanks again Jewels for the tweets/articles.

All I can say is good. I wasn't worried that the jurors would find her not guilty- she is definitely guilty of first degree murder and nothing else, IMO.

Thanks again Jewels for the tweets/articles.
I was also worried about if they found her not guilty. Thank goodness we don't have to worry about that now! I just hope the jury at least gives her a decent sentence.

Jurors in the retrial of Shayna Hubers, who faced a second round of charges for the 2012 shooting death of boyfriend Ryan Poston, found her guilty of murder Tuesday after fewer than six hours of deliberation.

They will move now into a sentencing hearing, during which they'll hear more testimony before recommending a sentence to Judge Dan Zalla.

Jury finds Shayna Hubers guilty of murder once again

I am very surprised she and her attorneys were not told to stand for verdict. If they did not have to stand that was up to Judge.....BUT the guards should have told her to sit up and get her head out of the lap or and arms out of and or off of her attorney. That was inappropriate. IMO, when I saw her cry, what I could see showed no red eyes and no eye makeup was running black down her cheeks and she never used a Kleenex! Turns off the crying quick.

Well, we wait for a sentence and I hope Ryan’s family can find some peace.

Does anyone know how many appeals does she get? As this will not be the last we hear from her.

Jay Warren‏Verified account @JayWarrenWCPO 3h3 hours ago

Hubers penalty phase: Kyle Burns Asst. Commonwealth's Atty. addressing jury. "No amount of money and no amount of time can healing the gaping wounds that Shayna Hubers brought on these people," said Burns about Poston's family. @WCPO

Jay Warren‏Verified account @JayWarrenWCPO 3h3 hours ago

Hubers penalty phase: "All because she couldn't take 'no' for an answer. All because she felt entitled to him, said Burns. @WCPO

Jay Warren‏Verified account @JayWarrenWCPO 2h2 hours ago
Hubers penalty phase: Jeff Lawson one of Hubers' defense attorneys now addressing the jury. "We could all see that Shayna had immense talent and virtue but also immense flaws, said Lawson. @WCPO

Hubers penalty phase: Tara Higgins with the Kentucky Department of Corrections explaining when Hubers would be eligible for parole depending on the sentence. Anything more than 24 years including a life sentence Hubers would be eligible for parole after 20 years. @WCPO

Hubers penalty phase: Ryan Poston's father Jay Poston on witness stand. "Every facet of my life has been impacted. I've got another 35-40 years on this earth, God willing, without my son. I have another 35-40 Christmases without my son. I have had my life stolen from me." @WCPO

Hubers penalty phase: "His goodness and kindness got him killed. She took advantage of that," said Jay Poston Ryan's father. @WCPO

Katie Carter holds Teddy Bear made from Ryan Poston’s shirt. @WCPO

DlxvV-jWsAA6T-E.jpg

Hubers penalty phase: Katie Carter Ryan's sister on stand. "There's a hole in your heart and it can't be bought. It can't be replaced. It's this constant feeling like something is missing. You want to smile and you want to have fun but something is always there." @WCPO

Hubers penalty phase: Tiffany Egan(friend) "I met Shayna back in 2011. She has been an amazing friend. I can always rely on her for everything. She's very kind. (asking jury) I just ask you for leniency on her I know she will go out and help the world." @WCPO

Hubers penalty phase: Sharon Hubers Shayna's mother on the witness stand. "Shayna was reading by the time she was three years old. She was in the gifted and talented program by the time she was five." @WCPO

Hubers penalty phase: "She grew up singing in church and spent six years as a soprano on our church worship team," said Sharon Hubers Shayna's mother. @WCPO

Hubers penalty phase: Sharon Hubers addressing the jury--"Shayna has a lot to give the world. I am alone. She is the only one I can talk to. My child's life has also been taken. Her family also grieves. @WCPO

Hubers penalty phase: Judge Dan Zalla reading jury instructions now. Afterward attorneys will make a closing argument and then the jury will decide the penalty for Shayna Hubers. 20-50 years or life in prison. @WCPO

Hubers penalty phase: Hubers' atty. David Eldridge, "I think it's important for you to consider how old Miss Hubers was when this happened. She was 21. We all know that 21-years-old is a long way from adulthood. She was an immature and mentally ill young woman." @WCPO

Jay Warren‏Verified account @JayWarrenWCPO 1h1 hour ago

Hubers penalty phase: Defense atty. David Eldridge, "She is not a threat to society." @WCPO

Hubers penalty phase: "I am asking you to give her twenty years because of who she is and who she can be," said Defense atty. Eldridge. "There's a place for redemption. There is a place for mercy." @WCPO

Hubers penalty phase: Commonwealth's Atty. Michelle Snodgrass. "Mercy didn't happen when she decided to play God and fired again and again and again. There was no mercy shown to Ryan Poston." @WCPO

Hubers penalty phase: "She sat there and looked at photos of Ryan Poston's dead body and didn't react," said Snodgrass who is arguing for a sentence of life for Shayna Hubers. @WCPO

Hubers penalty phase: "I want you to think about why there is a penalty range. Each shot was a separate decision. A separate action. He was alive for every shot. Six shots intentional as he lay on the floor helpless and that's why there is a range," said Snodgrass. @WCPO

Hubers penalty phase: Jury will now go deliberate and come back with a sentence recommendation for Shayna Hubers. @WCPO

Hubers penalty phase: "She sat there and looked at photos of Ryan Poston's dead body and didn't react," said Snodgrass who is arguing for a sentence of life for Shayna Hubers. @WCPO

Hubers penalty phase: "I want you to think about why there is a penalty range. Each shot was a separate decision. A separate action. He was alive for every shot. Six shots intentional as he lay on the floor helpless and that's why there is a range," said Snodgrass. @WCPO

Hubers penalty phase: Jury will now go deliberate and come back with a sentence recommendation for Shayna Hubers. @WCPO
It will be interesting to see what the jury recommends and if the Judge follows their recommendation.

I hope this time they recommend LWOP.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back