Found Deceased KY - Savannah Spurlock, 22, left 'The Other Bar' with 2 men, Richmond, 4 Jan 2019 #5 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m certain of one thing in this case, one of and or all three of the persons last seen with Savannah know exactly what happened to her, And where she is at!

I hope those persons feel the heat! And I hope LE continue to investigate as if it is their own daughter!

Jmo

“Just to say that the case is very active is an understatement,” said Assistant Police Chief Rodney Richardson with the Richmond Police Department.

Great news! I was worried it had gone cold and justice would not be served.

“Just to say that the case is very active is an understatement,” said Assistant Police Chief Rodney Richardson with the Richmond Police Department.

Great news! I was worried it had gone cold and justice would not be served.

I’m not sure if they have uncovered some very critical detail.

Or they are trying to put pressure on a specific individual or individuals

But either way it gives me hope that the case is very much active and progressing

Jmo

LE sounds exactly like Nelson Co LE in the Crystal Rogers case when they say they have a pretty good idea what happened but still need the proof. And that’s been going on for years.

I agree. There’s never been any doubt in my mind that LE wasn’t actively investigating or didn’t have a strong theory of what happened. It’s hard to take a case to trial, especially if there are potentially multiple people involved, without finding a body :(
I don’t know what it’s like in other states, but KSP isn’t especially forthcoming when it comes to releasing lab results or evidence gathered during investigations. I think their silence often gets misconstrued as failure or giving up. I know Savannah’s been missing for a few months now, which I’m sure feels like an eternity for those who love her. I see a lot of comments on SM from people who think the case is “cold,” without really understanding what that term means. As far as the investigation, it’s still pretty new.

It took years for anyone official in CR’s case to admit that the commonwealth atty was the one who wasn’t confident in a trial with no confession or body. It’s sad but they only get one try to prove guilt...or innocence.

Also forgot to mention using the term, Person of Interest. You stated, Police haven't officially named these three men Persons of Interest or Suspects. Naming someone a Person of Interest isn't a legal term. Because Police did question the three men and they were the last to be seen with Savannah that makes them Persons of Interest. Suspect is a legal term and Police are careful about using that term but basically Suspect and Person of Interest is the same thing. You've stated the three men have not been cleared in statements you've made on your fB pg. These three men are Person's of Interest but if you know of no evidence of a crime than I think labeling them suspects would be the wrong thing to do. I'm not certain when Police do officially name a person a Suspect, maybe not until an arrest is made.
Had to do a little reading on the term POI vs. suspect and found it interesting as LE uses many purposeful euphemisms in lieu of legal terms and you made me curious. Many people do confuse the word suspect with POI but they are very different in meaning.

"What is a Person of Interest

A person of interest is someone the police are “interested” in during the proceedings of a criminal investigation. The police may be interested in this person for several reasons. For example, a person of interest may be considered as such because he or she:
  • Is cooperating with the investigation
  • Is not directly involved in the investigation, but has information that may help the investigation along
  • Has specific characteristics or activities that warrant further investigation"
"Difference between a Person of Interest and a Suspect
While the two terms may be used interchangeably, there is a difference between a person of interest and a suspect. A suspect is someone whom police believe may actually have committed a crime being investigated. A person of interest is someone police want to talk to for information about the case. Sometimes a person of interest ends up becoming a suspect, but that is not always the case. A person of interest is not always suspected of having committed a crime.

The difference between the two terms is so stark that, if reporters confuse them in a story, they may be setting themselves up for a lawsuit. This may also be damaging to a case if a person of interest becomes hesitant about talking to the police for fear of being labeled publicly as a suspect.

If someone is a suspect, the police are required to read him his Miranda rights before questioning him. However, if he is merely a person of interest, there is no requirement to do this, unless he is about to do something that will incriminate himself. However, because the term is not formally defined, different police departments may have different definitions insofar as what a person of interest specifically means to them."

Based on the above I do find it odd (after reading latest article stating LE remain in contact with the 3 men) that nome are considered a POI unless for the fact stated in linked article; they are attempting to avoid a possible trial by media should it come to that.
Person of Interest - Definition, Examples, Cases, Processes

Naming someone a suspect by LE changed afterwards to POI came about when Richard Jewell who was a security guard in the Atlanta bombing park case was named the suspect.

Richard actually was a hero who had found a bomb in the park belonging to the real suspect. Eric Rudolph. Richard was treated so unfairly by LE, and the public at large. Richard saved lives, and never had harmed a soul.

Iirc Lin Wood sued the police department including the FBI, and was successful with a large payout for Richard Jewell who even deserved much more. Imo

He had been constantly harrassed, threatened of death by those in the public. It was horrible what Richard, and his elderly mother had to endure.

Once that grave injustice was done since then LE refers to people as POI only until they know who the actual suspect is.

Once they have the evidence they can, and do call someone a suspect even before an arrest is made. However they usually wait until the arrest has been made, but not always.

It changed from labeling anyone a suspect to POI because to prematurely label anyone who may be absolutely innocent like in RJs case is very dangerous, and flatout the wrong thing to do. It causes grave damage to the falsely accused.

It leaves LE wide open to be civilly sued when they weren't the suspect at all, and were totally innocent, and actually became victims themselves due to the false accusations made against them.

Imoo
Great explanation. Had not read it before my last post and totally agree that another reason for caution is the damage it can cause to an innocent person. Excellent point!

I agree. There’s never been any doubt in my mind that LE wasn’t actively investigating or didn’t have a strong theory of what happened. It’s hard to take a case to trial, especially if there are potentially multiple people involved, without finding a body :(
I don’t know what it’s like in other states, but KSP isn’t especially forthcoming when it comes to releasing lab results or evidence gathered during investigations. I think their silence often gets misconstrued as failure or giving up. I know Savannah’s been missing for a few months now, which I’m sure feels like an eternity for those who love her. I see a lot of comments on SM from people who think the case is “cold,” without really understanding what that term means. As far as the investigation, it’s still pretty new.

It took years for anyone official in CR’s case to admit that the commonwealth atty was the one who wasn’t confident in a trial with no confession or body. It’s sad but they only get one try to prove guilt...or innocence.

In the Epperly case there was overwhelming evidence pointing to him being the killer but it is known (I believe) as the first murder conviction without a body and upheld in appeal. You would have thought it was an open and shut case but it was very tough to get a rock solid case. Murder conviction upheld in case where body never found

In the Epperly case there was overwhelming evidence pointing to him being the killer but it is known (I believe) as the first murder conviction without a body and upheld in appeal. You would have thought it was an open and shut case but it was very tough to get a rock solid case. Murder conviction upheld in case where body never found

Yeh it’s definitely not easy. A jury can only make a decision on the evidence that’s put in front of them and it’s really easy to create reasonable doubt when there’s very little physical evidence.

I always think about the Mel Ignatow case when cases like these take a long time.
LE knew Ignatow was involved in Brenda Sue Schaefer‘s murder, they had a confession from his accomplice, and even had audio from where she wore a wire but they didn’t have any actual physical evidence. While it should’ve been open and shut, he was acquitted, it turned into “he said, she said”. Six months later, a carpet layer was pulling carpet in Ignatow’s old house and found undeveloped film and jewelry. The three rolls of film detailed the rape and torture of Brenda Sue Schaefer. He’d already been acquitted so they couldn’t get him on the same charges that he was acquitted for. He ended up doing a little less than 10 years on perjury charges bc he lied during a federal grand jury hearing.

That trial was a HUGE embarrassment for Jefferson County and most people my age and older remember it. I hate how long these types of cases can go on and I can’t imagine what the family goes through, but I’d rather see them get some kind of justice instead of ending up like Brenda Sue Schaefer‘s family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member