KY - Tommy Ballard, 54, shot to death, Nelson County, 19 Nov 2016

• Thread starter Deleted member 158085
  • Start date
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
From the article, Tommy was standing in a field when he was shot. Legally he'd be required to wear blaze orange (I assume he was wearing it), so unless it was a stray bullet and a pretty (un)lucky shot, I'm not surprised they are looking into a potential homicide.

Yeh I was thinking either crystal's son or nephew. He was on his sons property wasn't he?

Also, is it possible to shoot from where the BG sits to where he was shot? I just wonder if that's what they think happened. If so, that seems to be a little bit of a pattern in regards to what I really feel was the catalyst to this whole disappearance. I feel so bad for that family. He was planning a pretty large scale search out of state next weekend. It messes me up thinking about how many miles and
Hours he's walked trying to find her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on where he was standing and if it was accidental or intentional. A rifle is capable of shooting a couple thousand yards if nothing stops the projectile. A few hundred yards would be a pretty easy shot.

Yeh I was thinking either crystal's son or nephew. He was on his sons property wasn't he?

Also, is it possible to shoot from where the BG sits to where he was shot? I just wonder if that's what they think happened. If so, that seems to be a little bit of a pattern in regards to what I really feel was the catalyst to this whole disappearance. I feel so bad for that family. He was planning a pretty large scale search out of state next weekend. It messes me up thinking about how many miles and
Hours he's walked trying to find her.

I thought I saw that it said they were at the end of Ed Brent Rd. That is near the BG Pkwy, but not really within shooting distance (there are trees and if not "hills," it's rolling land you couldn't shoot through). It's been years, but I've actually been out to the "dead end" before.

Consider this rumor until I find a link, but family members are saying it's a homicide. (Rumor alert)!

According to WAVE 3 News, Ballard was shot and killed while going into a wooded area to hunt with his grandson.
ksp2Recent information posted by The Kentucky Standard indicates that KSP is investigating the shooting as a possible homicide. According to unnamed sources, the newspaper reported that Ballard and a grandson were about to go hunting when the grandson returned to the pickup truck they arrived in. Ballard stayed in the field to await his grandson’s return. Ballard was apparently shot as he waited for his grandson.

http://nelsoncountygazette.com/?p=30644

Ooops! I see you guys are already on it! :)

From the article, Tommy was standing in a field when he was shot. Legally he'd be required to wear blaze orange (I assume he was wearing it), so unless it was a stray bullet and a pretty (un)lucky shot, I'm not surprised they are looking into a potential homicide.

Depends on where he was standing and if it was accidental or intentional. A rifle is capable of shooting a couple thousand yards if nothing stops the projectile. A few hundred yards would be a pretty easy shot.

Is he required to wear orange even if he's on private property?

I thought I saw that it said they were at the end of Ed Brent Rd. That is near the BG Pkwy, but not really within shooting distance (there are trees and if not "hills," it's rolling land you couldn't shoot through). It's been years, but I've actually been out to the "dead end" before.

Looking at the map, it's actually a lot closer than I thought it was. I just wonder if they think someone came from that area onto the property. What dead end are you talking about?

Is he required to wear orange even if he's on private property?

Yes, according to this he would be required to wear orange unless he was dove or waterfowl hunting.

http://fw.ky.gov/Hunt/Pages/Hunting-Regulations.aspx

I actually told my husband this morning that if he were intending to check fences this morning on a four wheeler, he should have a hunting vest on because I heard shots and we are in deer season here. Better safe than sorry.

If Tommy's gun was not fired and the grandson unarmed, who shot Tommy? I really hope for this family's sake that an objective, non-local law enforcement agency is in charge of this investigation!

I would think if there had been a hunter who shot a gun around that time even close to that site would have already stepped forward.

According to WAVE 3 News, Ballard was shot and killed while going into a wooded area to hunt with his grandson.
ksp2Recent information posted by The Kentucky Standard indicates that KSP is investigating the shooting as a possible homicide. According to unnamed sources, the newspaper reported that Ballard and a grandson were about to go hunting when the grandson returned to the pickup truck they arrived in. Ballard stayed in the field to await his grandson’s return. Ballard was apparently shot as he waited for his grandson.

http://nelsoncountygazette.com/?p=30644

BBM-
This is what made me think intentional. I was thinking field as in a crop field or pasture, so an open area without trees.

Combined with the fact that it happened while grandson had gone back to the car and it was a pretty well placed shot seems almost a bit too convenient.

BBM-
This is what made me think intentional. I was thinking field as in a crop field or pasture, so an open area without trees.

Combined with the fact that it happened while grandson had gone back to the car and it was a pretty well placed shot seems almost a bit too convenient.

From the pictures and the map, it was an open field sitting in front of the tree line. The trees extend all the way back to the parkway. Driving down the parkway, it's mostly surrounded by trees or rock on both sides and a little elevated. I don't know about that particular area because I can't place it in regards to where it is on the BG but I'm sure the property is pretty obstructed. I also don't know how big the property is or if it's adjacent to anyone else's property or where any other access points would be.

Looking at the map, it's actually a lot closer than I thought it was. I just wonder if they think someone came from that area onto the property. What dead end are you talking about?

Ed Brent Rd used to be a road (I'm talking before the late 1960's when the BG Pkwy was constructed) off of Pottershop Rd that somehow crossed the Beech Fork (likely a ford) and ended at Roberts Road. It was kind of chopped up and is now basically two small frontage roads. One (Ora Brent Rd) on the northern side of the BG and one (Ed Brent Rd) on the south side.

It's marked as 72 on the old map. On the new map, it's right around the "Martha Layne Collins Bluegrass Parkway" text is. The dead-end I spoke of is the little circle at the end of Ed Brent Rd.
Ed Brent rd 1954.jpgEd Brent rd 2016.jpg
View attachment KY Nelson Co (KY-rg) 1954.pdfView attachment KY Nelson Co (KY-c) 1-2016.pdf

OK, so someone posted a list on Twitter of Nelson Co. murders that are unsolved, beginning with Daniel Cahoe, then Officer Ellis, Kathy & Samantha Netherland, and Crystal Rogers. I knew about all but Daniel Cahoe, so I started researching. He was actually killed in Spencer County but was from Nelson County and his parents believe whoever killed him is from Nelson County. It gets very weird here - his IDENTICAL twin brother was also shot in a separate incident, yet police say that the two shootings were not related. I have wondered if at least some of these unsolved murders are linked. We have assumed that Crystal's death was domestic violence. However, what if she knew something about, say, Officer Ellis' death (since Brooks' brother was a cop)? I have also seen rumors floating around that the Netherlands' deaths could be somehow connected to the Houk brothers. All of this is speculation. But read this about Cahoe, then consider that a cop's death has also gone unsolved, and all the rest, and I'd say it's time for the FBI to get their butts in there and start looking for any possible links to any of these deaths. http://www.kystandard.com/content/‘you-only-need-one-person-tell-truth

I don't think the Cahoes were related to either Officer Ellis or Crystal. I went to school with both of the Cahoe boys, but didn't know them very well. They lived in the same neighborhood as a friend of mine and I saw them at school. Basically the same as with Crystal. I know that one of the twins was dumped pretty close to where I live, a little bit into Spencer County.

I think the Cahoes got messed up into something bad regarding drugs (from local rumors). Officer Ellis was likely killed over something, possibly drug related, that another cop was trying to cover up. Crystal was likely killed by a cop, but probably for some kind of "personal" (domestic violence?) reason.

That said, I don't trust local LE. For the past few months, we've had a cop with a bad reputation (killed a black guy outside a convenience store in Louisville) as Bardstown's Chief of Police. The new chief isn't really a local, but I don't know if that will help much.

Ed Brent Rd used to be a road (I'm talking before the late 1960's when the BG Pkwy was constructed) off of Pottershop Rd that somehow crossed the Beech Fork (likely a ford) and ended at Roberts Road. It was kind of chopped up and is now basically two small frontage roads. One (Ora Brent Rd) on the northern side of the BG and one (Ed Brent Rd) on the south side.

It's marked as 72 on the old map. On the new map, it's right around the "Martha Layne Collins Bluegrass Parkway" text is. The dead-end I spoke of is the little circle at the end of Ed Brent Rd.
View attachment 104907View attachment 104908
View attachment 104909View attachment 104910

Thanks! I was just asking because I don't think I've ever been down that road. I always get off at the second bardstown exit when I visit family in Etown. The exit I take to get on and off the BG is Bloomfield so I really don't spend a whole lot of time in Bardstown.

Yeh I don't think the Cahoe's are part of this either but who knows...it's all so convoluted and crazy. I do think Ellis has something to do with Crystal, and the Netherlands. Maybe it's just easier for me to think they're all related because if they're not, that means there are some pretty evil individuals walking around Nelson co.

As far as the new chief of police, I don't know much about him but I like that he isn't local. I actually liked the former chief of police. He was from Louisville and spent a lot of time there and a lot of time as a US Marshal. I really think he could've done a lot of good and I was surprised to see him go.

It seems like a possible family dispute imo for now since they waited for the grandson to go back to the truck.

But how would someone plan this since no one could plan for the grandson to go back to the truck?

So either this was a inner family dispute that took place earlier. Or a down right accident. Idk

It seems like a possible family dispute imo for now since they waited for the grandson to go back to the truck.

But how would someone plan this since no one could plan for the grandson to go back to the truck?

So either this was a inner family dispute that took place earlier. Or a down right accident. Idk

I know the grandson's gun wasn't loaded and apparently TB's gun hadn't been fired. I think his son was there but some of the articles mention it and some don't. My first thought was a hunting accident because it's not uncommon. It happens. I was thinking maybe a stray bullet. When they mentioned it was on private property i figured a stray bullet may not be as probable. However, I read somewhere else that the particular area they were in is a fairly popular hunting spot.

I'm still leaning more towards it being accidental. Either way, it's tragic.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbieJ