Kyron Horman Case Review #1: Thread #1: LE Press Conference & Release: June 5 2010

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Is that verified? Did KH & TH go back to the house, jump in the car and head to the school to start looking for their son while waiting for LE to get there? I know that's what I would have been doing. Never saw this information anywhere.

That's what Kaine said. I just saw it recently in a written interview where he answered questions in writing, and it was also in a video interview. Holler if you can't find it, and I'll look it up.

I think it's standard that LE doesn't allow families to participate, or asks them not to, isn't it? I mean, could you imagine what would happen if one of them found the child's body, or were nearby when someone else found their body?

I think the natural tendency would be to pick up the child and hold them, and there goes all the evidence.

Gruesome and sad to think of, but I think that's the case.

Too, I'd think I'd want someone home at all times just in the off chance that my child showed up or called, some way or another. Or there was a ransom call or something.

That's what Kaine said. I just saw it recently in a written interview where he answered questions in writing, and it was also in a video interview. Holler if you can't find it, and I'll look it up.

So Kaine verified they called the school from the bus stop and the school called 911? (I shouldn't have posted two questions in one line, LOL) If so, then why would LE need to do a reverse 911 for the school's number? Maybe the secretary grabbed her own cell?

So Kaine verified they called the school from the bus stop and the school called 911? (I shouldn't have posted two questions in one line, LOL) If so, then why would LE need to do a reverse 911 for the school's number? Maybe the secretary grabbed her own cell?

Okay this is from memory lol:

The bus driver called the school, then Kaine heard her tell Terri that Kyron hadn't been in school all day. Kaine, Terri, and baby jumped in the car and drove to the school. At the school, the secretary called 911.

I don't know why the reverse 911. It should have had the school's ID on the call, unless like you said, the secretary used her own personal cell, or someone else's.

Darn it, I gotta go today. Will try to catch up later. Thanks again BeanE for the intelligent and informative thread! This is the way I like to sleuth!

Too, I'd think I'd want someone home at all times just in the off chance that my child showed up or called, some way or another. Or there was a ransom call or something.

BeanE: Isn't that exactly what LE said to the Hormans upon their arrival at the school?? Did we ever know which one of them--KH or TH--was sent back by LE to the home to WAIT!?

Reverse 911 from wiki:

Reverse 911 is a public safety communications system. It is used by public safety organizations to communicate with groups of people in a given geographic area or areas. The system uses a database of telephone numbers and associated addresses, which, when tied into geographic information systems (GIS), can be used to deliver recorded emergency notifications to a selected set of people by telephone.

Reverse 911 may also be used to reconnect to a telephone that has been disconnected from an emergency call.

The system can be used to notify residents in areas both large and small. During the 2010 Boston Water Emergency, government agencies used the system to notify a large number of Boston-area residents in particular neighborhoods to boil water before drinking.

----------------------------------------------

Le got a hold of a database filled with the numbers they wanted to call. recorded the message they wanted to send to those people something like "kyron is missing etc..." then everyone in the database would receive a call from LE with this recorded message - your called id may say "emergency response" or "reverse 911".

this recorded phone call would go to unlisted numbers as well as listed numbers - thus gates reference to unlisted numbers.

The reverse 911 call gates was referring to went out something late on the 4th or early on the 5th to skyline parents and maybe residents close to the school or something like that.

I admit to being scared to ask, but figured I may as well. Still green here, bear with me.

Regarding the story of the teenager coming into the store wearing the Kyron T-shirt and looking for the energy drink... I guess I want to know when and how fast those shirts were made? If this is the day after he disappeared. I am not certain as I don't see a date posted. To me it seems rather fast for the shirts vs fliers and posters.

Thanks for any replies that follow. Back to lurking. :) and moo.

I was wondering that about the shirts too...it seems unlikely that anyone would have a shirt with Kyron's photo on it, as early as June 5th.

Some of my notes from the Q & A session with reporters.

- reiterates parents are completely cooperative

- talking with the whole family, "every one of them", very forthcoming with info, "ton of information that's useful to us"

- "we don't have any information what direction Kyron left

from the school". This is when Gates is talking about the Amber Alert.
* that's a really interesting statement
- had bloodhounds as well as "regular" k-9s

- amount of time leaves a lot of room Kyron could have gone

on his own.

- the FBI volunteered because they care?
* I thought it was because they classified it a Major Crimes case. Or did the FBI call up and say they volunteered because they care, and then MCSO classified it Major Crimes so they could come in?

I admit to being scared to ask, but figured I may as well. Still green here, bear with me.

Regarding the story of the teenager coming into the store wearing the Kyron T-shirt and looking for the energy drink... I guess I want to know when and how fast those shirts were made? If this is the day after he disappeared. I am not certain as I don't see a date posted. To me it seems rather fast for the shirts vs fliers and posters.

In the 25 minute audio interview with Kaine & Desiree, Desiree says one of the emails she got from Terri was about tshirts. She then says to Kaine she never got them, and she needs to talk to him about that.

I wonder if Terri had the tshirts made.

I wonder if she posted anything about tshirts on her FB.

Where did the tshirts and bracelets come from way back in the beginning? Didn't they distribute them through the old and now defunct website.

I wanna sleuthify this. We need a tshirt thread.

Thank you, SIJen. Good find!

I was wondering that about the shirts too...it seems unlikely that anyone would have a shirt with Kyron's photo on it, as early as June 5th.

Just had a thought. Didn't Cook get in touch on June 4? Then he set up the website and distributed bracelets? :eek:

ETA: Sorry. I'll start a thread if I find anything else.

ETA: Okay one more thing. :)

The family handed out "Missing" t-shirts to the press and photographers at their house. - KGW more news after commercial.
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5279093&postcount=816"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - OR - Kyron Horman, 7 yo Second grader, Portland, 4 June 2010 - Part #9[/ame]

family's t-shirts? they were made by an ad agency, donated...
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5283351&postcount=402"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - OR - Kyron Horman, 7 yo Second grader, Portland, 4 June 2010 - Part #11[/ame]

From June 12.This couldn't be the initial shirts. There wasn't enough time for all this by the next morning:

4. We were wondering about the t-shirts the family wore at the press conference yesterday – were they made and designed by the family?
It was a collaboration of efforts joining Taylor Made Printing and Lithia Motors LAD advertising agency to design, print, and ship the T-Shirts to the family. All labor and materials were donated.
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5284083&postcount=13"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - OR - Kyron Horman, 7 yo Second grader, Portland, 4 June 2010 - Part #12[/ame]

BBM (bolded by me)

Excellent observation SIJEN - :Welcome-12-june:

Why back to lurking, please stay and help us discuss! :yes:

To clarify the reverse 911 Gates refers to:

"By 5:30 p.m., a reverse 911 call was sent to all homes of children who attend Portland Public Schools. The message stated, “Kyron Horman did not arrive at home today."

http://amberalertsandmissingchildre...7/kyron-horman-case-part-1-disappearance.html

The thing is, I received one of those calls and I didn't receive that call until 7pm. :waitasec: But was the call I received a "reverse 911" call? Many Portland Public SD parents received a call that evening, BUT it was from Portland Public Schools. (So, I got a call on my cell phone, since I am the first parent listed for my children, but my husband did not receive a call on his cell phone - even though his number is the second listed as an emergency contact)

ETA: I think my definition of "reverse 911" and others definitions are just different. To me, this wasn't a reverse 911, because it was PPSD putting their own system to use (the one that normally calls me to notify me when one or more of my children are absent, the one that's now being put to use for all schools when before Kyron disappearing, it was not used for all schools). I think having family in LE and talking about this, is why my definition may be different, lol. :)

On the subject of the t-shirts, originally they were being made by a local printing company (I believe the company is located in Beaverton). But I remember seeing this on TV, not reading about it.

on his own.

- the FBI volunteered because they care?
* I thought it was because they classified it a Major Crimes case. Or did the FBI call up and say they volunteered because they care, and then MCSO classified it Major Crimes so they could come in?
In an Oregonlive article on Sunday June 6, we will learn that:

"... the FBI, which has assigned a sizable, though undisclosed, number of agents to the case, launched its Child Abduction Rapid Deployment Team, a group of agents and analysts that specializes in organizing large-scale investigations of child disappearances.

The team's involvement is standard when a child goes missing, said Beth Anne Steele, a spokeswoman for the FBI's Portland field office.

The FBI also called in a Quantico, Va.-based profiler to develop a more complete portrait of Kyron."

Did Gates not know this or did he just not want to answer?

Yes, I don't know which stepbrother it was. What I find interesting is that Gates said the family wasn't out in the field searching for him.

Does anyone know why LE might prohibit a family from joining the search?
I know I'd be out there calling his name from the get go. Another question for that day I now have, TH called the school from the bus stop, correct? The school called 911, correct? Gates explains why they did a reverse 911 mentioning that it would show unlisted numbers. The school's number wouldn't be unlisted. Hmmmm?

Is that verified? Did KH & TH go back to the house, jump in the car and head to the school to start looking for their son while waiting for LE to get there? I know that's what I would have been doing. Never saw this information anywhere.

They usually recommend family members NOT to join the searches, for several reasons. One being, if they do happen to come across their child's body, they will seriously destroy a crime scene and any evidence that LE could obtain. Family members are too emotionally involved, and they are distractions for the trained searchers as well.

I wonder, with the "isolated incident" coming in so early, if it is possible that Kyron had once before "gone missing" for a very short time, and Terri "found" him, and it was never reported but Desiree and Kaine knew about it...maybe as some sort of bid for attention from Terri or after a fight with Kaine...and this was told to LE that first day? It just seems that the family was all too prepared to not only believe Terri was involved but that Kyron would be found soon.

In an Oregonlive article on Sunday June 6, we will learn that:

"... the FBI, which has assigned a sizable, though undisclosed, number of agents to the case, launched its Child Abduction Rapid Deployment Team, a group of agents and analysts that specializes in organizing large-scale investigations of child disappearances.

The team's involvement is standard when a child goes missing, said Beth Anne Steele, a spokeswoman for the FBI's Portland field office.

The FBI also called in a Quantico, Va.-based profiler to develop a more complete portrait of Kyron."

Did Gates not know this or did he just not want to answer?

I can't answer your question... However, I do find it very telling that after the CARD unit was involved, and after the FBI profiler wrote her/his report, Captain Gates is saying " I can't rule out stranger to stranger. I can't "....

All JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danielrosini
Back