LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #33

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, we don't know for sure if Mickey died, even if that is the most logical conclusion, given his silence.

And how can they find out the truth? Probably interrogate the girlfriend and him against each other.

For example, there have been cases where victims have been left alive at locations by the perp. to access in the future. One example I can think of immediately is victims being left chained or tied to trees in a remote area.

So, maybe LE got him before she succombed.

LE is probably crawling all over any possible areas she could possibly be, to try and find her alive.

do you think they put the murder 1 charge in hopes of him saying "i didn't murder her. she's alive."

It IS possible that she is alive, right? IDK

there was some talk about a bayou that runs along a loooong road through Church Point and Breaux Bridge. I will try to find the name of the bayou. Maybe they should search there.

Eithet date still equals very shoddy work from either San Jacinto or LPD. Unknown who dropped the ball there if they werent on to this guy until 6/14

I just relistened and it does say May 21. Also a tip about the white truck on June 14th. So convoluted!

I'm not sure I am brave enough to go.....where's chicken...???!

Sure as the sun is gonna come up tomorrow you better not go alone. I wouldn't be within miles of the place myself! Might get the 'gris gris' on you!

I think you are being too conservative with the salary ranges, plus these guys often earn bonuses which are a percentage of the job ticket.

my cousin is a welder offshore. they do make good money, especially if they don't have a wife and children. BSL was a bachelor, so he was able to spend his money on himself and his girlfriend. His house note couldn't have been too much, so I don't find it unreasonable for him to buy a fancy truck. He supposedly drove a Dodge Stealth before the truck at some time - from someone who was in teh military with him

this is the road Ko Dupuis Road. there's a bayou that runs along it. has anyone else heard talk of this place?

Trying to catch up and I'm only on page 3 of this thread. I read about the perp burning his truck (the one scene in the surveillance videos). I hate even having to type this but could Mickey's body have been in the truck when he burned it? Could he have hid her in a container of some sort?

When did he burn the truck?

ETA: I just read the press release above. OMG he burned it just days after. :(

could they have seen her condition in the truck in the video from the Advertiser on Bertrand?

I really doubt shes alive, they said he was offshore recently for a little over 2 weeks, I cant fathom he would trust leaving her bound up someplace that peeps could discover her, if he was smart enough to scatter the crime over multi parishs&states , I doubt he was dumb enough to leave her alive

This is possible. It may have been an unintentional accident and because of his past history he became afraid. It sounds like he recently had a lot going for him-a good job, a girlfriend, and a nice truck. At that time of night he may have just left a club and been drinking, was fearful of getting a DUI, and maybe she died right away or he thought she was dead. It is possible as well that he planned on helping her and then decided against it. Impaired people do things that are not always in their best judgement. It may have nothing to do with his history as a RSO. Or it could have everything to do with it. Unless there's a body and or he tells us, we may never know.

The fact that he asked for an attorney immediately and refused to cooperate with investigators leads me to believe he was on the prowl that night and Mickey was the unfortunate victim. If it wasn't Mickey, it would've been some other young lady or he may not have been on the prowl at all but saw Mickey and being a tier 3 RSO, his evil temptations took over.

I don't think you can rehabilitate these freaks. They'll do it over and over and over again. This time he murdered.

Predator Brandon Lavergne may or may not be intelligent, but he was obviously, creative(bicycle bump & grab), calculating,(causing confusion using jurisdictions), elusive(forensically aware).
He is obviously narcisstic, thinking that he had out smarted investigators again..
There is no doubt in my mind that he has repeated similar abductions/rapes/murders in the past...prolly many times.. Rape is the most under reported crime in the US.

The one thing that he underestimated was the power of the American public/Cajun Net and the amount of determination and awareness generated by the Schunick Family via the internet & MS Media, imo...

Who did he work for offshore?

I hope its wasnt for her father!
Isnt her dad with Mobil?

could they have seen her condition in the truck in the video from the Advertiser on Bertrand?

I have no idea but I think LE has a lot more than we think. If he was charged with murder 1, they know Mickey is dead and they have evidence, imo.

Fact is he already kidnapped before, if you figure the bound up, gagged and sexual abuse he was charged of before. I would really like to know the facts of that case, im curious did the victim get away on her own, a passer by helped her or did he just let her go. I have searched for facts about that case but have came up with 0

It was emailed at 2:20 p.m.

Arrest Made in Mickey Shunick Case

The Lafayette Police Department would like to extend its appreciation to the Shunick Family, all of the law enforcement agencies involved in this investigation, countless volunteers, private business entities, and the public that have assisted in the search and continue to be there as this investigation remains ongoing. I must caution all of you that although an arrest has been made in this case, much work remains to be done.
Working with our Federal, State and local partners, the Lafayette Police Department has arrested Brandon Scott Lavergne and charged him with 1st Degree Murder and Aggravated Kidnapping. Lavergne is believed to be responsible for the disappearance of Michaela “Mickey” Shunick.
On May 19th of this year, the Shunick family reported Mickey’s disappearance. She had not returned home, missed her brother’s graduation from high school, had notified no one of her location, and did not respond to calls made to her cell phone.
On May 25, video evidence was discovered from an LCG facility that captured Mickey on her bike. Several vehicles were observed in the same video and broadcast to the public as vehicles of interest. All of the vehicles of interest were ruled out except for a white Chevrolet Z71 pickup. The driver as well as the vehicle was not ever identified nor did anyone come forward.
On May 26, Mickey’s bike was located under the Whiskey Bay Bridge on I-10 with damage to the rear tire consistent with being struck by a vehicle.
On June 14, Investigators received information from a concerned citizen, regarding a white Z71 that may be involved in Mickey’s disappearance. The vehicle in question was registered to Brandon Lavergne. Further investigation revealed that the truck was reported stolen in Montgomery County, Texas and later located in San Jacinto County, Texas on May 31st. The truck had been burned just days after police released photographs of the truck as a vehicle of interest.
Based on information and surveillance detectives were able to positively identify the truck that traveled directly behind Mickey in the video as belonging to Brandon Lavergne. Investigators are also able to place Brandon Lavergne in and around the location of where the bicycle was located.
On Thursday, July 5, Louisiana State Police conducted a traffic stop on Lavergne near the intersection of I-10 and I-49. He was arrested on an unrelated warrant and transported to the Lafayette Police Department.
During questioning at Lafayette PD, Lavergne requested an attorney and has refused to cooperate any further with the investigation. At that time, he was additionally charged with the aggravated kidnapping and murder of Mickey Shunick.
This has been a very difficult ordeal for the Shunick Family and we thank them for their continuous cooperation, encouragement, and support in our attempts to determine what happened to Mickey. We want the family to know that we will not rest until we can fully know what happened to her. We continue our efforts to locate and bring Mickey home.
This type of case can overwhelm one agency. A tremendous amount of time, equipment, and resources have been put into this investigation. I would be remiss in my duties if I did not acknowledge and thank all of the agencies and private businesses that have been with us from day one of this case: LPSO, ULPD, Lafayette City Marshal’s Office, LSP, SMSO, SLSO, Iberia SO, Iberville SO, East Baton Rouge SO, Acadia SO, Patterson PD, FBI, US Marshal’s Service, LSP Crime Lab, Acadian Crime Lab, C & C Technologies, and Holbrook Media. It is these types of partnerships that have made an arrest possible in this matter.
I will take questions at this time but I want to caution you that because the investigation is on-going, there is a lot of information that we will not be able to divulge or discuss.

may 19th reported missing

may 25th video located

may 26th bike located

may 28th video released (http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlin...-police-seek-driver-looking-to-pick-up-women/)

may 28ish-29ish truck burned

in between here report filed on stolen truck most likely around the same time

may 31st burned truck found (link says truck burned just "days" after photos released... most likely burned on 28-29th)

june 14 tip called in

july 5 arrest unrelated charge (multijurisdictional task force)

july 5 warrant for home search and arrest with probable cause for first degree murder and agg kidnapping) no bond for murder and 250k for agg kidnapping

July 6 first court app via vido: appointed CAA and bond reiterated... this was not the arraignment

july 6 presser... perp has a military history, served 8 years of a ten year sentence and is a tier 3 RSO. (this is from previous articles) No comment on signs of struggle or bite marks. Rear wheel of bike consistent with being hit from behind. Truck was driving behind Mickey. Video evidence suggests perp may have been trolling for a victim that night. Perp works offshore and was recently out on a two week gig. Perps vehicle has been placed in the whiskey bay area of the night in interest (will not say how). Perp is linked to burned out truck in texas. search of his home and investigation is ongoing.

-------

(tried to put all these facts in one place.. please correct if I got something wrong here)

Trying to catch up and I'm only on page 3 of this thread. I read about the perp burning his truck (the one scene in the surveillance videos). I hate even having to type this but could Mickey's body have been in the truck when he burned it? Could he have hid her in a container of some sort?

When did he burn the truck?

ETA: I just read the press release above. OMG he burned it just days after. :(
I hope they check San Jacinto for bodies, too. On MSN there were several womens' bodies found in San Jacinto, Texas and one was partially burned.
I hope not , but if he was in that area he might have hurt somebody else.

If so, he was right. As per their statement it was a concerned citizen that tipped them on the guy which allowed them to connect the dots.

well then, Texas dropped teh ball there. Funny how the TX LE in whatever county reported the hotel parking lot truck, but the TX LE in SanJacinto or whatver county didn't report the burnt out truck, which just so happened to be the right truck. It just fell through the cracks. I guess there weren't enough fliers in that part of Texas. But neighboring state LE should be made more aware, ya know. I guess everyone was looking East due to Whiskey Bay and Texas is sooooooo big.

I have tried finding arrest records but apparently I am not looking in the right place. I have only come up with the layette sheriff's dept inmate stuff.

Anyone know if these Court documents are for him?
STATE EX REL. LAVERGNE v. STATE

882 So.2d 577 (2004)

STATE ex rel. Brandon S. LAVERGNE v. STATE of Louisiana.

No. 2003-KH-2322.

Supreme Court of Louisiana.

August 20, 2004.
882 So.2d 578

In re Lavergne, Brandon S.; — Plaintiff; Applying for Supervisory and/or Remedial

Writs, Parish of Evangeline, 13th Judicial District Court Div. A, No. 58521; to the Court of Appeal, Third Circuit, No. KH 03-00182.

Denied. La.C.Cr.P. art. 930.8; State ex rel. Glover v. State, 93-2330 (La.9/5/95), 660 So.2d 1189; State v. McKinney,406 So.2d 160, 161 (La.1981).

http://www.leagle.com/xmlResult.aspx?xmldoc=20041459882So2d577_41320.xml&docbase=CSLWAR2-1986-2006
2003-KH-2322 STATE EX REL BRANDON S. LAVERGNE v. STATE OF
LOUISIANA (Parish of Evangeline)

http://www.lasc.org/news_releases/2004/2004-67.asp

Fact is he already kidnapped before, if you figure the bound up, gagged and sexual abuse he was charged of before. I would really like to know the facts of that case, im curious did the victim get away on her own, a passer by helped her or did he just let her go. I have searched for facts about that case but have came up with 0

the advertiser has the arrest report on their sight from 1999, but i'm not a subscriber, so i can't view it. would the arrest report have details of the crime? it says, warning content is graphic in nature, but then i get prodded to subscribe:maddening:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne