LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #33

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
YES, this is unfolding so much like Sierra's case did.

You have the vehicle, and LE showing the picture, and asking for the public's help, and then going silent. Same kind of confusion for the public afterwards...and LE came out and said " No, we are not looking FOR this car anymore, just want to hear from anyone who has seen it around." We were all going HUH?

But the bottom line was the vehicle being seen around the crime scene was the thing that led them to the perp.

And the suspect is very similar in many ways. A previous criminal history, previous abduction attempts, and has a wife/girlfriend/steady relationship as well.

In addition, AGT's car was placed in the areas by surveillance video, too.

he broke into her home at 130am. she was asleep in her bed. he held her down into the mattress and blindfolded her with her own shirt and tied her hands. took her clothes off. she said she was a virgin and he said that he wouldn't take that away from her. forced her at knifepoint or gunpoint (she said sharp object in her side) to do oral sex. then walked her to the bathroom. forced her to spit into a cloth and rinse her mouth. then he untied her and said count to 100 or 1000. i can't remember. he told her that if she told anyone he'd come back and burn her house down with everyone inside. poor thing was so afraid that she left out the oral sex part in her first interview with police. they felt she was leaving something out so they asked her mother to talk with her

he ripped the phones out of the wall but they didn't get any readable prints off the phone. they saw mud prints at the window he broke into. she told police that his voice sounded like her cousin's boyfriend's voice. she said he had a very distinct voice. she gave police his name and indeed it was Brandon

he told police that she invited him over and they kissed, but that he didn't take her clothes off. her shirt however was found on side of the bed still tied in a knot. they ended up finding a cloth with sticky substance at his home and turned it into the crime lab

The link is gone now but I thought it said the police went back after she told her mother the truth and found the washcloth at her house. Guess I was confused.

I have seen online evidence that he was specifically brought to the attention of authorities immediately after the white truck videos were released.
Brandon was engaged to a woman who has two young children. Her family was very upset that she was going to marry an RSO. So they had been looking for ways to prevent that marriage BEFORE they even knew about the white truck connection. So they made sure that LE knew about him when that video was released.

So IMO, they knew about him quite awhile ago. But they needed to get their ducks all in a nice row before pulling the trigger. And I agree, LE has been doing a good job it seems. Maybe we should stop some of the blind criticism at this time.

yes. this is true. i'm not criticizing LE. i feel the same way, but they probably should have avoided the statement about june 14 or worded it in a different way since they were on to him sooner than that.

The link is gone now but I thought it said the police went back after she told her mother the truth and found the washcloth at her house. Guess I was confused.

Tried to copy and paste from the report but it shows up like this: Also, during tlo r!.fth ofrhc vicrims rcaid$€.. r w$h ctorh wirh s,ricky $b!t!nc. w.3 foid ir rne
bathrcom Tfic $bsunc! i3 !d{'ercd of po3sibtyb cing 3.nic.r. Thi! ctorh vjl bc s.nt (o th! Acrdh CrioE
Ltb tor resting and ,b!ibl. conp&ison ro $mptes tom thc srpc.r.

It says:
Also, during the search of the victims residence, a wash cloth with a sticky substance was found in the bathroom. The substance is suspected of possibly being semen. This cloth will be sent to Acadian Crime Lab for testing and possible comparison to samples from the suspect.

I must be confused too. Because I thought I read that HE had kept the washcloth, as a 'memento' but that LE found it in his home, and it is what eventually got him convicted. ?

ETA: Looks like it was left at the victims home, not at his home.

no. i could be wrong. i thought it was at his house, but maybe the report said hers?? that would be reallllly dumb if he left it at hers. pretty dumb that he didn't throw it away or set that on fire since he's such a pyro.

http://www.mcadv.org/mcadv/LegalHelp2/HowtheLawscanProtectYou.aspx
Kidnapping

If someone takes you and holds you anywhere against your will you have been kidnapped. Even if the place you are being held is your own home, if you are not allowed to leave when you want to, that is the crime of kidnap. You do not have to be tied up, handcuffed or otherwise restricted. If you are not allowed to leave a place where you do not want to be, it you are held there either by violence or threat of violence that is kidnapping. A jury can give a sentence of life in prison for kidnapping. If the jury fails to set a sentence, the judge can give up to thirty years in prison.

http://kidnapping.uslegal.com/state-kidnapping-abduction-laws/louisiana-kidnappingabduction-laws/

According to La. R.S. 14:44.1 second degree kidnapping occurs when the victim is

■Used as a shield or hostage;
■Used to facilitate the commission of a felony or the flight after an attempt to commit or the commission of a felony;
■Physically injured or sexually abused;
■Imprisoned or kidnapped for 72 or more hours; or
■Imprisoned or kidnapped when the offender is armed with a dangerous weapon or leads the victim to reasonably believe he is armed with a dangerous weapon.

Hi everyone- I've been obsessively lurking on this thread since Mickey disappeared. Like everyone else, my heart hurts over the recent turn of events.

Just wanted to throw in my two cents about the definition of "kidnapping," as I just graduated law school and am currently studying for the dreaded bar exam. [I'm more familiar with elements of various crimes than I'd like to be right now!:banghead:]

I agree with the above poster, and wanted to add that even the slightest movement (such as dragging someone to the other side of a room) could constitute kidnapping. I think it's very likely the 1999 charge would constitute kidnapping under the legal definition.

Just tuned in to HLN and a commercial came on. Who is the woman who was talking?

I say yes. If a vehicle is equipped with Onstar, it is being tracked. Now how long they keep that info is probably secret (but just my humble opinion, they probably can keep it forever since computer memory now is pretty cheap). Now, who owns that info and how much it costs...another secret. They are most likely not going to ever release that info to the public, because the folks at Onstar don't want their sales to go down because people don't like the idea of being tracked 24 hours a day. My hypothesis (educated guess) is that it is all tracked. Think about it for a second. If you get into a wreck with Onstar in your car, they report your location to the local police right? Well, the only way they can report that is if they are tracking it. When you get the Onstar system, buried in the paperwork is probably a release stating that they can track you -- you just dont see it because the release is probably 10 or 500 pages long (exagerating).

I say yes. Others may say no. I am sure an investigator has already called Onstar to check out his routes and where he paused at. Interesting that criminals now have to also worry about technology....:)

If I were a predator I would not have OnStar. No way. When you are shady you don't want anyone to know anything about you. He could have refused it even if it were free.

So dumb question. When he was asked if he could afford a lawyer, he said, "not in a case like this one". We've just talked about how he probably makes a lot of money on his job, so why can't he afford his own lawyer? Is it based on how much he makes or on what type of case it is?

Both...an AVERAGE fee for a criminal attorney in a 1st degree murder charge w/agggrivated kidnapping is....$10k consultation & review of case; then the attorney will bring in his law partner $5k plus research fees & the paralegal's cost (per hour average $45-60); if they can "plead out" to manslaughter & get the kidnapping down to a misdemeanor, you're estimating another $100k...& we haven't even to into the appeal process...I am a licensed paralegal & did criminal law for 15+ yrs. I can quote statues/cases in my sleep but the time put ino one case in a week can be 30-50 hrs (not counting your other cases)... Needless to say, I had very few weekends, was never home, barely slept, was always going to a jail/prison but I LOVED my job (I even married a cop)

no. i could be wrong. i thought it was at his house, but maybe the report said hers?? that would be reallllly dumb if he left it at hers. pretty dumb that he didn't throw it away or set that on fire since he's such a pyro.

Luckily, they are never as smart as they think they are.

I saw this comment elsewhere, interesting.......

"Listened to PC again, truck reported stolen on 5/21.

5/19 - Mickey disappears
5/21 - BSL reports truck stolen in Montgomery County, TX
5/25 - Videos released naming VOI
5/26 - Bike found @ WB
6/14 - Tip received (if from Car Salesman is this when new truck is bought?)
7/5 - Arrest of BSL

If shift change for 14/14 is on Wed. (not sure, but think so), BSL's schedule would have looked like this:

5/9 - 5/22 - Onshore
5/23 - 6/5 - Offshore
6/6 - 6/19 - Onshore
6/20 - 7/4 - Offshore

Explains why maybe he waited so long to buy a new truck...needed to collect insurance and was offshore during much of the time. Again, 6/14 is a guess on buying the truck if the tipster was the car dealership. His on and off shore dates do line up with means."

If he was offshore so much that makes me doubt even further he had her locked up :(

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

I believe LE was onto BSL prior to June 14. Remember Abdella announced he'd gotten reports from TWO separate people that implicated the same person? That was on June 8 and we never heard anymore about it. I think LE was already onto BSL at this time and opted not to release anymore info about it (including sketches), in an effort to keep BSL from knowing they were onto him.

We know the lady at the car dealership called to report him. Also there was a separate report to LE from the family of BSL's fiance.

I kind of thought getting rid of the bike was the last thing he did, before, but now I think he may have put Mickey with the bike. I can't see making a special trip to WB on that same night/morning just to leave the bike there...he must have been going there anyway, IMO. LE seems to be able to put him there on the 19th...if the bike was dumped days later, it might be different, but I have a worse feeling she is there, at WB, if they really can place him there on that first day.

Is this WB bridge the closest route to a dark location near a swamp? You would think that all the adrenaline would have built up and he would have driven to the first place he thought he could attack her without being noticed.

latest that I haven't seen posted here and I find weird: (BBM)

"Here are the details that we've obtained about Brandon Lavergne's Sex Offender past:

He was convicted of breaking into a woman's house in 1999. He plead guilty to blind folding her, tying her up and having her preform a sexual act on him. He was sentenced to 10 years in prison in 2000. He served 85% of that sentence and was on supervised parole until February of 2010.

On May 31st of 2012-- just weeks after Mickey disappeared-- he filed a motion to be removed from the sex offender registry. He had a hearing scheduled on August 9th to try and remove his name from the registry."

https://www.facebook.com/KLFYTV10

If he was offshore so much that makes me doubt even further he had her locked up :(

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

It depends on if he was a service hand, production hand, or rig hand. Mostly just rig hands and production hands go out on a scheldue time IE 14/14 14/7 etc, but service hands we work "on call" for say 2 weeks 3 weeks at a time and are on 24hr call out, some service hands will spend the vast majority of the time on a rig but some will be in and out a lot

I believe LE was onto BSL prior to June 14. Remember Abdella announced he'd gotten reports from TWO separate people that implicated the same person? That was on June 8 and we never heard anymore about it. I think LE was already onto BSL at this time and opted not to release anymore info about it (including sketches), in an effort to keep BSL from knowing they were onto him.

We know the lady at the car dealership called to report him. Also there was a separate report to LE from the family of BSL's fiance.

From reading on one of these threads a couple of weeks and 10-20 threads ago, this was not a person Abdella had in his sights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member