LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #33

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe he didn't use a GPS device, but had GPS on his phone. That might explain why LE stated that they seized his cell phone (besides the cell tower pings) when they arrested him.

Yep that phone is going to tell some stories. ;)

Just recently found out that one of the court appointed defense attorneys for BSL is one of my good friend's dad. And the other one is a friend of our family. My friend is in such a hard place right now. She's been following the case all along and is now terribly torn. I guess being a defense attorney is the price you have to pay in the event that something like this comes about... My friend's dad is one of the nicest men you would ever meet. Very down to earth and far from being an arrogant jerk like some attorneys can be. I pray for their families who are likely to be harassed when in all actuality will have nothing to do with the case at all.

a criminal psychologist in Baton Rouge told me yesterday that the serial killer in Baton Rouge at the same time as Derick Todd Lee (i can't remember his name) would hit his victims with his car while they were jogging then take them right away. i think BSL hit her to take her right then and there, not to persuade her to get in the car. i don't think he even tried the nice guy illusion, oops i'm sorry let me give you a ride home. i think he jumped right out and took her

Yep- the other BR serial killer who was active at the same time as DTL (and for a bit after DTL's arrest) was Sean Vincent Gillis. Hitting women with his car while jogging wasn't his "usual MO" (I say that because I don't generally think serial killers stick to one MO; for example, some of DTL's victims were strangled, some had their throats slit, some were found in their homes, some not, etc.) but Gillis did use it with one of the victims- 52 year-old Hardee Schmidt, who was jogging on Quail Run Drive. He hit her with his car & knocked her in a ditch, got out, wrapped her face in plastic wrap & forced her in the car (http://www.wafb.com/global/Story.asp?s=1831138). Sick. This was the only victim he hit with his car (that we know of anyway) but this is a pretty common technique among these sickos - for example, Kristi Cornwell was out for a walk when her attacker in Georgia hit her with his car and took her and we know something similar happened with a different perp who bumped the girl on her bike in NC who thankfully got away. It seems that lots of sickos know this "trick."

....and just adding...there were 2 active serial killers in BR at the time DTL was active, the other being Jeffrey Lee Guillory, who wasn't caught until a few years ago- http://www.batonrougetoday.com/2009...l-killer-from-lafayette-jeffrey-lee-guillory/.

I'm surprised others have not come forward.

me too. i'm thinking that he must not have had many male friends. no one on TD has come on to say they knkew him either, at least not of last night.

we know of 3 girlfriends, but no "buddies" which is odd for a single early 30s guy. goodness, my husband is early 30s and if it weren't for me and the kids, he'd be hangin' with the guys ALL OF THE TIME

What if he intended to kill Mickey, but failed? I mean we often hear of cases where the victim was "left for dead" yet survived because of their determination to live.

No one should give up diligently and thoroughly searching until that proof exists that she has died--her body found.

I think that the suspect was found early, comparitive to some other cases.

That is just not possible, to search until she is found. I am sure LE will conduct more searches if they pick up clues as to where she could be, but since she could be in at least two states, I don't see how she will be found without a confession or just plain luck. Still, he should be tried as a murderer, as should many others who have killed their victims, but LE is hesitant without finding the body.

There is no way, IMO, that Mickey is alive. There is not one scenario that makes any sense. No one is holding her for him, she did not escape him, he did not sell her. JMO

Ok I just re-watched the PC. I think there was some confusion earlier. I'm sorry if this was already cleared up:

Truck found burned May 21. No specifics on when it was reported stolen

They placed BSL at location where bike found. Did not say truck. Did not say when he was there or when bike placed there.

Said he was positively identified following Mickey.

Maybe she caught on to him following her and turned, he followed? Hence her and truck not being on camera at law office?

i'm sure his girlfriend is being questioned extensively. hopefully she can shed some light as to where Mickey may be.

I know we are not allowed to post her name ere, but does anyne know if her name was relased or posted anywhere?

Just recently found out that one of the court appointed defense attorneys for BSL is one of my good friend's dad. And the other one is a friend of our family. My friend is in such a hard place right now. She's been following the case all along and is now terribly torn. I guess being a defense attorney is the price you have to pay in the event that something like this comes about... My friend's dad is one of the nicest men you would ever meet. Very down to earth and far from being an arrogant jerk like some attorneys can be. I pray for their families who are likely to be harassed when in all actuality will have nothing to do with the case at all.

They'll have their work cut out for them.
Thanks for telling us.

There is no way, IMO, that Mickey is alive. There is not one scenario that makes any sense. No one is holding her for him, she did not escape him, he did not sell her. JMO

As much as I want to believe the contrary, this is the only explanation that makes sense.

I would suggest that heading to "Somewhere" in Texas was not random and if he had an accomplice (which I think would be someone to help him after the fact, not during the abduction) it would probably be a female. The reason I say this is that he is okay-looking, had a relatively good job and was conflicted in his problems with women. I would think in his situation he would call on a former girlfriend or female relative to help him sort out what happened (created a convincing cover story to elicit sympathy of course) and then that female assisted him in covering his tracks, burning the truck, getting another oe that looked like it, etc. The whole covering up part just sounds like a plan between two adults. Also, the destination location is going to be a destination he has traveled many times and knows to be a lot of desolate roads (which, believe me, it is a spooky highway at night...those roads from Church Point to Montgomery County. Nothing but deep pine trees on the right and an elevated train track on the left. Pitch black. And when the train rumbles by on your left it is even spookier).

I do not think he killed her in the truck. I believe he did it at his home. LE was digging around in his home for far too long, and mention they found "evidence".

I believe he shagged arse to Texas on the backroads and dumped Mickey somewhere along the way. The truck was burned b/c it was the VOI and having the body in it left evidence. I believe he also hoped to remove any traces of her being in the truck at some point as well. The only reason he burned the truck is b/c he panicked b/c it was a VOI. This makes me laugh b/c there are thousands of them ... ;)

That is just not possible, to search until she is found. I am sure LE will conduct more searches if they pick up clues as to where she could be, but since she could be in at least two states, I don't see how she will be found without a confession or just plain luck. Still, he should be tried as a murderer, as should many others who have killed their victims, but LE is hesitant without finding the body.

-----------
In the investigation of the abduction of Dru Sjodin, no one gave up until the last possible moment, when the P.I. found her body after the winter thaw.

I'm sure that LE, FBI and any other investigators have a code they live by that would compel them to continue to search until there is definitive proof she is dead.

I think he knew he would be a POI sooner or later, due to his RSO status and history, so his having that vehicle is a little more meaningful, than say, you or I, having one like it. Someone was going to give his name to LE sooner or later, or he would be next on their list to check. He had to do something about the truck and the fact that he burned it tells me she probably died in the truck.

-----------
In the investigation of the abduction of Dru Sjodin, no one gave up until the last possible moment, when the P.I. found her body after the winter thaw.

I'm sure that LE, FBI and any other investigators have a code they live by that would compel them to continue to search until there is definitive proof she is dead.

Search for the body, yes. But the usually do it in hopes of making their case stronger, i.e Susan Powell. I don't know anyone who believes she is alive, or Stacy Peterson. But does that mean that their killers should not be tried for murder because someone hid the body well?

LE may have a code to solve the case, to bring justice, but they cannot guarantee they will always find the victim's body. It just is not possible in all cases.

JMO

There was a story on CNN about a month ago that explained it when IBM banned it from their buildings.

They did -- because the voice queries are uploaded to Apple's servers to be converted to text (and replied to). It isn't a call centre, but those queries are indeed logged and may be stored -- no indication that Apple is in fact doing so for any nefarious purpose, but this is why Siri is unwelcome in an increasing number of workplaces.

s

I think LE believes they have definitive proof Mickey is deceased. I really don't think they would have charged this guy with murder if they didn't believe they can prove murder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zoyasalas