LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #33

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think LE believes they have definitive proof Mickey is deceased. I really don't think they would have charged this guy with murder if they didn't believe they can prove murder.

This was my first thought upon reading about the kidnapping/murder charge. They might have found something or they know they can prove it somehow.

MOO

I believe he shagged arse to Texas on the backroads and dumped Mickey somewhere along the way. The truck was burned b/c it was the VOI and having the body in it left evidence. I believe he also hoped to remove any traces of her being in the truck at some point as well. The only reason he burned the truck is b/c he panicked b/c it was a VOI. This makes me laugh b/c there are thousands of them ... ;)

And this is why I think he's not so smart. Everyone and their mama in & around Lafayette seems to be driving a white 4 door Z71, even plenty with silver/chrome gas caps. I saw so many of them between when the VOI pics were released & yesterday.
I think he drew more attention to himself by burning the truck than had he just kept on driving it. If he burned it on the 21st though rather than the 31st (I am still confused as to what is the correct date)- it had to have a ton of evidence in it & he was trying to get rid of it before he even knew they had these
VOI pics. BSL seems to quite possibly love him some arson (or at least there seem to be plenty of fires that happen around him throughout his life) & probably loved setting that truck on fire.

Had they not been able to positively ID the VOI as his truck (I assume from other videos in the area of him trolling for a victim in which they could read the lic plate), he conceivably could have just kept driving that truck and it would have been a needle in a haystack, RSO or not. I'm not sure him having a similar truck (before a positive ID was made) combined with him being a RSO is enough to get a search warrant for his truck. He thinks he's so smart at covering his tracks but it actually made him more obvious. Similarly, stashing that bike at/in/under his home would have been smarter than putting it at WB, a known spot for nefarious activities. The cops would have needed a search warrant to look on his property as well. (Of course, all of this is moot since they did positively ID the VOI as his truck, but had they not been able to do so, his actions pretty much equated to him screaming at LE "it's me! I'm doing suspicious stuff!")

BTW- anyone else shocked they STILL don't have the lab results back on the bike according to the police chief at the presser yesterday?

Q&A Session from Thursday's presser:

I will take questions at this time but I want to caution you that because the investigation is ongoing, there is a lot of information that we will not be able to divulge or discuss.

Q: Chief Craft, how did you know that he was in the area where Mickey’s bike was found? What evidence (inaudible)
A: We have some evidence that we can’t divulge at this time but we know, we can place his vehicle in that area at that time.

Q: When you were searching his home, what was some of the key evidence that was found there? Anything of importance that you can share with us that was found at his home?
A: As I speak we have been at that home since yesterday and we are still processing that scene so we can’t disclose or divulge any evidence that we may or may not have recovered.

Q: What evidence led to the first degree murder charge?
A: (pauses as if to consider how to answer) Um, based on the information developed by our investigators, uh, and the fact that she was kidnapped – an aggravated kidnapping constitutes a charge of first degree murder.

Q: Is there any evidence that there was any sort of struggle?
A: Uh, we can’t go into that at this point.

Q: Was any of Mickey’s DNA found inside his home?
A: We can’t go into that at this point.

Q: How much information (inaudible) bike?
A: Uhm, the bike was consistent – the rear rim was consistent with being struck by a vehicle and …

Q: Did anything come back from the lab reports?
A: We have no lab reports back as of this time.

Q: Chief Craft, was there a second person arrested – a female arrested in this – (inaudible) yesterday?
A: No, the only person arrested in this case has been Brandon Scott Lavergne.

Q: Was Lavergne questioned by the department immediately and then information gathered from his GPS?
A: Uh Lavergne was questioned by the department here after he was picked up by state police at I-10 and I-49.

Q: When was that?
A: Yesterday (Thursday) afternoon about 2:30.

Q: Is there any relation between Lavergne and Mickey Shunick?
A: Not that we are aware of.

Q: Any possibility that any other arrests could come about from this? I know a private investigator identified two descriptions of two separate suspects.
A: We don’t think so at this point.

Q: What (inaudible) believe she’s dead?
A: Just the evidence and information we have in the case that again, I cannot go into.

Q: Chief, was there any type of website or blog or anything that helped to connect you guys to Lavergne or help focus on him?
A: No, the information that came from the citizen is how he came to our attention.

Q: Did that citizen call the tip line?
A: I think that citizen did call the tips line.

Q: How were you able (inaudible) in Texas and put the two together?
A: Through investigation by our detectives and LA State Police we were able to determine that he had purchased another vehicle and so we located the first one over there.

Q: What was that unrelated warrant he was arrested on?
A: It has to do with sex offender registration.

Q: What brought him to the Lafayette area the night of her disappearance. Any information as to what he was doing there?
A: We have no information on that based on the fact that he has refused to talk to us or cooperate with us.

Q: Was his license destroyed, blocking out some information about him being a registered sex offender?
A: Yes.

Q: On May 28th, it says that he was in good standing on his sex offender website. How is that possible, uh, what does that have to do to go through that?
A: Well I don’t think that the people who run the registry would necessarily know that he had altered his driver’s license to hide that information. Uh, if he was making his contacts and making his visits, they may
be ruled in good standing.

Q: Where was he arrested?
A: He was arrested here at the Lafayette Police Department. He was stopped by LA State Police at I-10 and I-49 for a traffic violation.

Q: Do you think that he targeted her or this is a crime of coincidence?
A: I think that based on the information we have and the vehicle was seen in the area – you can see it on the video – maybe he was riding around looking for someone to victimize.

Q: Chief Craft, since he purchased a new vehicle – what was he driving, what was his mode of transportation when he was apprehended?
A: I think it’s a Z71, white pickup truck, just like the one he had.

Q: Chief, how long can you hold him and what’s next?
A: Well, right now he’s charged with aggravated kidnapping and first degree murder. So there’s no bond on the first degree murder. The district attorney has reviewed our affidavit and our warrant and they are in agreement with us that we had probable cause to arrest him and so there’s no bond on a first degree murder warrant so he’s going to be held in a correctional center.

Q: Chief if a body isn’t found do you expect any problem with that as far as prosecution or anything?
A: I couldn’t comment on that. I think that’s a question for the district attorney to answer.

Q: Has anybody else been questioned regarding (inaudible)?
A: Oh, hundreds of people have been questioned regarding this case.

Q: Since the arrest has been made?

Q: Any females or girlfriends?
A: We’ve questioned a lot of people but I don’t want to go into who we’ve questioned or who we’ve talked to just primarily because our investigation is still ongoing and that may hinder our investigation to disclose that information at this time.

Q: Any clues on where the body may be?
A: (pauses) No.

Q: Chief, any better indication (inaudible) where or around she was taken?
A: Based on what we know in the video we would have to say between St. Landry and St. Mary and Blackham Coliseum. Somewhere between there.

Q: And is there any indication on exactly how they got her, the bike, everything into the vehicle?
A: No.

Q: Chief, with Mr. Lavergne, was there a bite mark on his hand possibly from Mickey Shunick?
A: Can’t comment on that.
Q: (inaudible)

Q: Can you comment on his prior record?

Q: Was there anyone else at the house when you went to investigate?

Q: Was there anyone else in that vehicle when he was apprehended?

Q: Was he an offshore worker?
A: Yes, he is an offshore worker.

Q: Do you know if he was offshore (inaudible) most of the investigation?
A: Well, we know that he’s been offshore for about the last two weeks.

Q: Do you all use FBI profiler in this investigation?
A: We did consult with the behavioral science unit with the FBI Academy at Quantico but the FBI’s made numerous resources available to us throughout this investigation.

Q: What (inaudible) motive for this crime?
A: He’s a sex offender.

Q: (something about truck on fire)
A: That’s part of the arson investigation that’s taking place in Texas at this time.

Q: Do you know how he got back to Louisiana after he set his truck on fire?
A: We’re not releasing that right now.

Q: Do you have reason to believe that Mickey Shunick was sexually assaulted in this crime?
A: We don’t know that yet.

And this is why I think he's not so smart. Everyone and their mama in & around Lafayette seems to be driving a white 4 door Z71, even plenty with silver/chrome gas caps. I saw so many of them between when the VOI pics were released & yesterday.
I think he drew more attention to himself by burning the truck than had he just kept on driving it. If he burned it on the 21st though rather than the 31st (I am still confused as to what is the correct date)- it had to have a ton of evidence in it & he was trying to get rid of it before he even knew they had these
VOI pics. BSL seems to quite possibly love him some arson (or at least there seem to be plenty of fires that happen around him throughout his life) & probably loved setting that truck on fire.

Had they not been able to positively ID the VOI as his truck (I assume from other videos in the area of him trolling for a victim in which they could read the lic plate), he conceivably could have just kept driving that truck and it would have been a needle in a haystack, RSO or not. I'm not sure him having a similar truck (before a positive ID was made) combined with him being a RSO is enough to get a search warrant for his truck. He thinks he's so smart at covering his tracks but it actually made him more obvious. Similarly, stashing that bike at/in/under his home would have been smarter than putting it at WB, a known spot for nefarious activities. The cops would have needed a search warrant to look on his property as well. (Of course, all of this is moot since they did positively ID the VOI as his truck, but had they not been able to do so, his actions pretty much equated to him screaming at LE "it's me! I'm doing suspicious stuff!")

BTW- anyone else shocked they STILL don't have the lab results back on the bike according to the police chief at the presser yesterday?

There may be cameras on St. Landry that LE was able to use to get his plate number.

It does seem to be taking a long time to get the results from the lab.

This was my favorite part of the news conference Q & A:

And when Chief Craft answered it looked to me like he a look on his face that just said "duh." Obviously, you can just look at BSL's history and see the motive.

Off topic.
I've met a few seriously delusional people in my time. I work for one now.
Thank goodness I have a trusted co-worker so we can back each other up and witness his weird behavior. The guy is nuts. (he's not violent).

He makes no sense, totally illogical and ego maniac. He can't stop talking about himself.

I manage a side business for him.

He's an electrical contractor. I'm just venting here.
There's another contractor he deals with that comes by from time to time. I'll call him Mr. X. Mr. X is one of the creepiest guys I've ever met. Co-worker also creeped out. Last week Mr. X came by when I was there alone. I trust my instincts. So co-worker and I did some research. Mr. X has spent time in Fed penitentiary. For fraud millions of $$$$$. We spoke out to our (delusional) boss about this guy. Boss is clueless.

Sociopaths. IMO.

:moo::moo::moo:

I agree. My daughter has a friend who has a really creepy dad. I kept telling her I did not want her spending the night there or playing there. Of course, she's eleven and could not understand.

This morning we woke up, and cop cars were all over in front of her home. They had put up crime scene tape. He shot his wife last night.

with the kids in the house.

Yes, we just might have to, eh? And also in response to my comment about this situation not being part of MS' destiny, but his free will. I too have lost people close to me. One being a horrific homicide which WS'ers from Nola might remember. A guy attending a Mardi Gras parade the MG after Katrina I believe asked a driver to slow down since he was speeding and almost hit my cousin and his newly-married wife. The guy driving the truck got pissed off, turned around and came back to run him over - intentionally. The driver was never caught and it's sad that the only person who could identify him was my cousin who is killed. He had tinted windows so no one else could get a description. I, too, am fairly religious and believe that possibly MS could have been in an accident or something else if she would have survived this attack, but as far as God planning this as her destiny, IMO, goes against what I've read and learned about during my spiritual journey. Cain and Abel come to mind. God didn't have anything to do with Cain's slaying of his brother. He acted out of jealousy and did wrong according to God. I respect your opinion and the fact that it makes it easier to understand the purpose of it. I just have to disagree that this was part of his plan, God's that is, this was BSL's plan and his free will which will hopefully cost him a long visit rotting in jail and/or his life. Guess I'm old school and wish our justice system would revert back to the 1st form of punishment way back when - if you commit a crime, the same crime is imposed upon you. Wish that would not only apply to these times, but could also be left in the hands of the public. Wonder how much crime would be committed then? Knowing that the same crime I did, could be done to me and by anyone!

I knew your cousin. That was a very sad time. I'm sorry for your family's loss.

My first cousin was one of his best friends, initials KH.

I just want to ask again if there is a local police blotter regarding the burning truck.

I did a google search and couldn't find it. What I did find, gave me the creepy creeps. :what:

:moo:

There may be cameras on St. Landry that LE was able to use to get his plate number.

It does seem to be taking a long time to get the results from the lab.

I think that's quite possible. But BSL didn't know that. He didn't know they had positively IDed the VOI as his. I just think he did a lot to draw attention to himself via the ways he sought to cover up the crime. Not the brightest crayon in the box....which gives me hope Mickey will be discovered sooner rather than later. Maybe there were some clues to where she is in his home and/or on his GPS (if he had one) or via his cell phone pings that LE is checking into or will check into soon.

I agree. My daughter has a friend who has a really creepy dad. I kept telling her I did not want her spending the night there or playing there. Of course, she's eleven and could not understand.

This morning we woke up, and cop cars were all over in front of her home. They had put up crime scene tape. He shot his wife last night.

That's horrible! So sorry to hear about your daughter's friend; it's hard enough being a teenager, now with no mom and a father in prison...

Can anyone define this "Cajun Net" for me? I'm curious, having seen it mentioned several times here :)

I would suggest that heading to "Somewhere" in Texas was not random and if he had an accomplice (which I think would be someone to help him after the fact, not during the abduction) it would probably be a female. The reason I say this is that he is okay-looking, had a relatively good job and was conflicted in his problems with women. I would think in his situation he would call on a former girlfriend or female relative to help him sort out what happened (created a convincing cover story to elicit sympathy of course) and then that female assisted him in covering his tracks, burning the truck, getting another oe that looked like it, etc. The whole covering up part just sounds like a plan between two adults. Also, the destination location is going to be a destination he has traveled many times and knows to be a lot of desolate roads (which, believe me, it is a spooky highway at night...those roads from Church Point to Montgomery County. Nothing but deep pine trees on the right and an elevated train track on the left. Pitch black. And when the train rumbles by on your left it is even spookier).

I do not think he killed her in the truck. I believe he did it at his home. LE was digging around in his home for far too long, and mention they found "evidence".

I believe he shagged arse to Texas on the backroads and dumped Mickey somewhere along the way. The truck was burned b/c it was the VOI and having the body in it left evidence. I believe he also hoped to remove any traces of her being in the truck at some point as well. The only reason he burned the truck is b/c he panicked b/c it was a VOI. This makes me laugh b/c there are thousands of them ... ;)
He wasn't charged with murder in St. Landry parish, though. Not saying that can't change but at this point he was charged in the 15th judicial district.

A: (pauses as if to consider how to answer) Um, based on the information developed by our investigators, uh, and the fact that she was kidnapped – an aggravated kidnapping constitutes a charge of first degree murder.

So, if the kidnapping charge constitutes the murder charge, they must have definitive evidence of the kidnapping, right? I am guessing it IS on film, or at least there is film of her bike in his truck.

Thoughts?

All I can say is, OMG!

Q&A Session from Thursday's presser:

I will take questions at this time but I want to caution you that because the investigation is ongoing, there is a lot of information that we will not be able to divulge or discuss.

Q: Chief Craft, how did you know that he was in the area where Mickey’s bike was found? What evidence (inaudible)
A: We have some evidence that we can’t divulge at this time but we know, we can place his vehicle in that area at that time.

Q: When you were searching his home, what was some of the key evidence that was found there? Anything of importance that you can share with us that was found at his home?
A: As I speak we have been at that home since yesterday and we are still processing that scene so we can’t disclose or divulge any evidence that we may or may not have recovered.

Q: Is there any evidence that there was any sort of struggle?
A: Uh, we can’t go into that at this point.

Q: Was any of Mickey’s DNA found inside his home?
A: We can’t go into that at this point.

Q: How much information (inaudible) bike?
A: Uhm, the bike was consistent – the rear rim was consistent with being struck by a vehicle and …

Q: Did anything come back from the lab reports?
A: We have no lab reports back as of this time.

Q: Chief Craft, was there a second person arrested – a female arrested in this – (inaudible) yesterday?
A: No, the only person arrested in this case has been Brandon Scott Lavergne.

Q: Was Lavergne questioned by the department immediately and then information gathered from his GPS?
A: Uh Lavergne was questioned by the department here after he was picked up by state police at I-10 and I-49.

Q: When was that?
A: Yesterday (Thursday) afternoon about 2:30.

Q: Is there any relation between Lavergne and Mickey Shunick?
A: Not that we are aware of.

Q: Any possibility that any other arrests could come about from this? I know a private investigator identified two descriptions of two separate suspects.
A: We don’t think so at this point.

Q: What (inaudible) believe she’s dead?
A: Just the evidence and information we have in the case that again, I cannot go into.

Q: Chief, was there any type of website or blog or anything that helped to connect you guys to Lavergne or help focus on him?
A: No, the information that came from the citizen is how he came to our attention.

Q: Did that citizen call the tip line?
A: I think that citizen did call the tips line.

Q: How were you able (inaudible) in Texas and put the two together?
A: Through investigation by our detectives and LA State Police we were able to determine that he had purchased another vehicle and so we located the first one over there.

Q: What was that unrelated warrant he was arrested on?
A: It has to do with sex offender registration.

Q: What brought him to the Lafayette area the night of her disappearance. Any information as to what he was doing there?
A: We have no information on that based on the fact that he has refused to talk to us or cooperate with us.

Q: Was his license destroyed, blocking out some information about him being a registered sex offender?

Q: On May 28th, it says that he was in good standing on his sex offender website. How is that possible, uh, what does that have to do to go through that?
A: Well I don’t think that the people who run the registry would necessarily know that he had altered his driver’s license to hide that information. Uh, if he was making his contacts and making his visits, they may
be ruled in good standing.

Q: Where was he arrested?
A: He was arrested here at the Lafayette Police Department. He was stopped by LA State Police at I-10 and I-49 for a traffic violation.

Q: Do you think that he targeted her or this is a crime of coincidence?
A: I think that based on the information we have and the vehicle was seen in the area – you can see it on the video – maybe he was riding around looking for someone to victimize.

Q: Chief Craft, since he purchased a new vehicle – what was he driving, what was his mode of transportation when he was apprehended?
A: I think it’s a Z71, white pickup truck, just like the one he had.

Q: Chief, how long can you hold him and what’s next?
A: Well, right now he’s charged with aggravated kidnapping and first degree murder. So there’s no bond on the first degree murder. The district attorney has reviewed our affidavit and our warrant and they are in agreement with us that we had probable cause to arrest him and so there’s no bond on a first degree murder warrant so he’s going to be held in a correctional center.

Q: Chief if a body isn’t found do you expect any problem with that as far as prosecution or anything?
A: I couldn’t comment on that. I think that’s a question for the district attorney to answer.

Q: Has anybody else been questioned regarding (inaudible)?
A: Oh, hundreds of people have been questioned regarding this case.

Q: Since the arrest has been made?

Q: Any females or girlfriends?
A: We’ve questioned a lot of people but I don’t want to go into who we’ve questioned or who we’ve talked to just primarily because our investigation is still ongoing and that may hinder our investigation to disclose that information at this time.

Q: Any clues on where the body may be?
A: (pauses) No.

Q: Chief, any better indication (inaudible) where or around she was taken?
A: Based on what we know in the video we would have to say between St. Landry and St. Mary and Blackham Coliseum. Somewhere between there.

Q: And is there any indication on exactly how they got her, the bike, everything into the vehicle?

Q: Chief, with Mr. Lavergne, was there a bite mark on his hand possibly from Mickey Shunick?
Q: (inaudible)

Q: Can you comment on his prior record?

Q: Was there anyone else at the house when you went to investigate?

Q: Was there anyone else in that vehicle when he was apprehended?

Q: Was he an offshore worker?
A: Yes, he is an offshore worker.

Q: Do you know if he was offshore (inaudible) most of the investigation?
A: Well, we know that he’s been offshore for about the last two weeks.

Q: Do you all use FBI profiler in this investigation?
A: We did consult with the behavioral science unit with the FBI Academy at Quantico but the FBI’s made numerous resources available to us throughout this investigation.

Q: (something about truck on fire)
A: That’s part of the arson investigation that’s taking place in Texas at this time.

Q: Do you know how he got back to Louisiana after he set his truck on fire?
A: We’re not releasing that right now.

Q: Do you have reason to believe that Mickey Shunick was sexually assaulted in this crime?
A: We don’t know that yet.

Bumping, Thanks.

So, if the kidnapping charge constitutes the murder charge, they must have definitive evidence of the kidnapping, right? I am guessing it IS on film, or at least there is film of her bike in his truck.

Thoughts?
The kidnapping charge is only part of first degree murder. See below:
(1) When the offender has specific intent to kill or to inflict great bodily harm and is engaged in the perpetration or attempted perpetration of aggravated kidnapping, second degree kidnapping, aggravated escape, aggravated arson, aggravated rape, forcible rape, aggravated burglary, armed robbery, assault by drive-by shooting, first degree robbery, second degree robbery, simple robbery, terrorism, cruelty to juveniles, or second degree cruelty to juveniles.

But yeah, I agree. There must be some sort of evidence of kidnapping.

Does anyone Remember the girl who came forward and said there was a male driving around looking for pretty girls for sex? The mothers name was joy I think can't remember the girls name. And I cannot remember if this report turned out to be false. However if it wasn't false has the girl identified the guy driving around as bsl?

That's horrible! So sorry to hear about your daughter's friend; it's hard enough being a teenager, now with no mom and a father in prison...

Can anyone define this "Cajun Net" for me? I'm curious, having seen it mentioned several times here :)

Cajun net just refers to everyone in Cajun country talking to each other. I tell Tante Sue Sue who talks to Cousin Pearl, who talke to Nonc Bebe, etc. Implying that our network of friends and relatives talking moves at the speed of the internet. I always say that in our town if you sneeze on the east side, they're saying God Bless you on the west side gossip moves so quickly.

Does anyone Remember the girl who came forward and said there was a male driving around looking for pretty girls for sex? The mothers name was joy I think can't remember the girls name. And I cannot remember if this report turned out to be false. However if it wasn't false has the girl identified the guy driving around as bsl?

She said it was a man in his fifties, I believe...don't recall hearing that the report was false.
And that is not his MO-she would not have gotten away unharmed.

So, if the kidnapping charge constitutes the murder charge, they must have definitive evidence of the kidnapping, right?
Thoughts?

Doesn't have to be. They don't even need it on film to charge him if the evidence looks like he did. I could be wrong though. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx