DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jim Craft, Chief of Police Corporal Paul Mouton
For Immediate Release Public Information Officer
July 6, at 1:00 pm Office 337.291.8617
pmouton@lafayettela.gov

Arrest Made in Mickey Shunick Case

The Lafayette Police Department would like to extend its appreciation to the Shunick Family, all of the law enforcement agencies involved in this investigation, countless volunteers, private business entities, and the public that have assisted in the search and continue to be there as this investigation remains ongoing. I must caution all of you that although an arrest has been made in this case, much work remains to be done.
Working with our Federal, State and local partners, the Lafayette Police Department has arrested Brandon Scott Lavergne and charged him with 1st Degree Murder and Aggravated Kidnapping. Lavergne is believed to be responsible for the disappearance of Michaela “Mickey” Shunick.
On May 19th of this year, the Shunick family reported Mickey’s disappearance. She had not returned home, missed her brother’s graduation from high school, had notified no one of her location, and did not respond to calls made to her cell phone.
On May 25, video evidence was discovered from an LCG facility that captured Mickey on her bike. Several vehicles were observed in the same video and broadcast to the public as vehicles of interest. All of the vehicles of interest were ruled out except for a white Chevrolet Z71 pickup. The driver as well as the vehicle was not ever identified nor did anyone come forward.
On May 26, Mickey’s bike was located under the Whiskey Bay Bridge on I-10 with damage to the rear tire consistent with being struck by a vehicle.
On June 14, Investigators received information from a concerned citizen, regarding a white Z71 that may be involved in Mickey’s disappearance. The vehicle in question was registered to Brandon Lavergne. Further investigation revealed that the truck was reported stolen in Montgomery County, Texas and later located in San Jacinto County, Texas on May 31st. The truck had been burned just days after police released photographs of the truck as a vehicle of interest.
Based on information and surveillance detectives were able to positively identify the truck that traveled directly behind Mickey in the video as belonging to Brandon Lavergne. Investigators are also able to place Brandon Lavergne in and around the location of where the bicycle was located.
On Thursday, July 5, Louisiana State Police conducted a traffic stop on Lavergne near the intersection of I-10 and I-49. He was arrested on an unrelated warrant and transported to the Lafayette Police Department.
During questioning at Lafayette PD, Lavergne requested an attorney and has refused to cooperate any further with the investigation. At that time, he was additionally charged with the aggravated kidnapping and murder of Mickey Shunick.
This has been a very difficult ordeal for the Shunick Family and we thank them for their continuous cooperation, encouragement, and support in our attempts to determine what happened to Mickey. We want the family to know that we will not rest until we can fully know what happened to her. We continue our efforts to locate and bring Mickey home.
This type of case can overwhelm one agency. A tremendous amount of time, equipment, and resources have been put into this investigation. I would be remiss in my duties if I did not acknowledge and thank all of the agencies and private businesses that have been with us from day one of this case: LPSO, ULPD, Lafayette City Marshal’s Office, LSP, SMSO, SLSO, Iberia SO, Iberville SO, East Baton Rouge SO, Acadia SO, Patterson PD, FBI, US Marshal’s Service, LSP Crime Lab, Acadian Crime Lab, C & C Technologies, and Holbrook Media. It is these types of partnerships that have made an arrest possible in this matter.
I will take questions at this time but I want to caution you that because the investigation is on-going, there is a lot of information that we will not be able to divulge or discuss.

Which is VERY ****** IMO. Oh a tier 3 sex offender from LA reported his truck stolen in TX and we found it burned. Should we call someone in LA? Nahhh

maybe he took the license plate off so they San Jacinto didn't know who the truck belonged to? i hope that's the case, otherwise, c'mon San Jacinto:notgood:

There's actually another Brandon Scott Lavergne that lives in LA, he has a public facebook, he works offshore, and has posted that he is NOT the one arrested in regard to Mickey Shunick. (he has been posting since 5 hours ago) Just a heads up, he looks to be a similar age, coloring,etc. So this will undoubtedly be confusing to some sleuthers.

Not sure if this was brought up yet, sorry if repetitive.

katc revised timeline (does not include reported stolen date)

New timeline in Mickey Shunick's disappearance
May 18, 2012, 10:15 p.m. : Mickey and friends attended a concert at Artmosphere.
May 19, 2012, 12:44 a.m. : Mickey rides bike back to Ryan Street residence with a friend.
May 19, 2012, 1:24 a.m.: Mickey seen in surveillance video at Taco Bell.
May 19, 2012, 1:31 a.m.: Mickey receives a call from her friend; it was the last time her phone was used.
May 19, 2012, 1:45 a.m.: Mickey begins to ride her bike home from the Ryan Street residence.
May 19, 2012, 1:47 a.m. : Mickey is caught on camera, riding her bike, on Versailles Boulevard.
May 19, 2012, 1:48 a.m.: Mickey is caught on camera, riding her bike, on St. Landry Street. Police say between St. Landry and Blackham Coliseum, Lavergne kidnapped Mickey. Her bike's damage is consistent with being hit from behind by a vehicle.
May 19, 2012, 6:30 p.m.: Mickey's family reports her missing to police.
May 20, 2012 : The first search party is organized.
May 25, 2012: The video surveillance photos were released to the public.
May 26, 2012: Mickey's bike was located under the Whiskey Bay Bridge.
May 31, 2012: Lafayette Police say Lavergne's truck was found burned in San Jacinto County, TX.
June 14, 2012: Lafayette Police get the tip the white truck of interest was found burned in Texas. Lafayette Police say it's Lavergne's truck.
July 5, 2012: State Police stop Lavergne on a traffic stop in a new white truck and arrest him on a warrant related to registering as a sex offender. He's also booked on first degree murder and kidnapping char
http://www.ktbs.com/news/UPDATE-Rev...nce/-/144844/15423896/-/1275meiz/-/index.html

notice the 14 june tip (it is about the burned truck)

that's what i thought until the presser. at the very beginning Craft said something about in LA aggravated kidnapping allows them to automatically charge 1st degree murder?? did anyone else understand this? i may be misunderstanding it. it might have been one of the 1st questions

that is the way I understood it, just.

How can you afford TWO $50,000 trucks but cannot afford a lawyer?

I subscribe. Is there a link?

underneath the big Black header "Laff Police Hold Press Conf in Mickey Shunick Case"

there is the word MORE: written in small font with a bunch of links in light blue in small font as well

one of the links is "Brandon Scott Lavergne's 1999 arrest report"

try it and let us know

thanks!!

Thanks. I really don't understand why they didn't check RSO's. :banghead:

They said in a previous statement they were checking on the whereabouts of RSO's so I dont know. BTW my WS radio interview was a few days after they caught onto this guy. In the interview I stated I was looking into RSO's.....seems now that's why they wanted me off the case. They knew I'd be onto him. But regardless of who did what, or what was done and wasn't done, they've got him locked up and hopefully this will all be resolved soon so the Shunick's can have some sort of peace.

Reporting a fake stolen vehicle in Montgomery County is NOT smart. The Montgomery County Sheriff's Office is always on it. They have closed so many cold cases in the past ten or so years.

I'd imagine they have a ton of evidence from that burnt truck.

IMO, there is no chance Mickie is alive somewhere. This guy went out of his way to destroy a truck, hide a bike, etc...he is not going to keep an adult witness alive. He was removing all traces of his crime, or thought he was.

I know Mickey's family probably are not ready to accept this, but they may need to, before a trial, especially if she has not been found. They will have to be a part of the trial, unfortunately and will have to be convinced she is not alive.

I do hope LE has evidence. I understand that she is not alive, but they will have to prove it to a jury. I don't think there is any way a jury could believe she is alive, but you never know. I hope the GPS thing is true, which could help find her.

Also, I do believe this would be a capital murder since he is charged with aggravated kidnapping as well as 1st degree murder. Committing murder and another crime qualifies for capital murder in most states that have the death penalty.

So dumb question. When he was asked if he could afford a lawyer, he said, "not in a case like this one". We've just talked about how he probably makes a lot of money on his job, so why can't he afford his own lawyer? Is it based on how much he makes or on what type of case it is?

So dumb question. When he was asked if he could afford a lawyer, he said, "not in a case like this one". We've just talked about how he probably makes a lot of money on his job, so why can't he afford his own lawyer? Is it based on how much he makes or on what type of case it is?

In a capital trial, you are talking hundreds of thousands of dollars...he probably meant he could afford a lawyer for a routine court case, but not one lasting months or years...

They said in a previous statement they were checking on the whereabouts of RSO's so I dont know. BTW my WS radio interview was a few days after they caught onto this guy. In the interview I stated I was looking into RSO's.....seems now that's why they wanted me off the case. They knew I'd be onto him. But regardless of who did what, or what was done and wasn't done, they've got him locked up and hopefully this will all be resolved soon so the Shunick's can have some sort of peace.

Sorry, I disagree. I think it matters and hopefully next time it might save a life or find the victim so the family can have their loved one back and give them a proper burial.

The worse is not knowing what happened to your child, sister, brother. It's not surprising that they still hold out hope Mickey is alive. Wouldn't you? Any parent would without a body as proof.

IMO

I think the court has to decide whether or not he can actually afford a lawyer. I don't think a person can just say they can't afford one when there is evidence to the contrary.

Well to me any police department upon learning of any vehicle on fire can only mean one thing and that someone was trying to get rid of evidence of some kind. That being said, any police department should have put out information on said truck to surrounding police departments and neighboring states. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne