LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #33

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Question about ONSTAR and GPS... if it was activated wouldn't the device assist in locating a stolen vehicle? It seems to me like after reporting it stolen it would be located rather quickly???
The last vehicle I bought was in 2003 and it didn't have ONSTAR, so I really don't know!

Reporting the truck being "stolen" phoning a friend to take him from his location in TX to where ever he had to report and heading out to the rig the next day, I could see BL doing that... then just catching a ride home with someone from the area when he returned two weeks later.

No paper trail...

Makes more sense than returning to LA THEN trying to rent a car or get a ride BACK?
Maybe he didn't report in TX? I am confused! :waitasec:

If he bought a used 2011 Chevy truck, the Onstar service would still be free for a year from the date of purchase?

I have no idea, I'm asking. :)

Don't know but pretty sure it would. Even though there may be fine print saying something about the free year being provided to the original buyer only, it probably would not actually be disconnected in the event the title was transferred to someone else's name. When we got ours we had the free year, I think it went over a bit, then we let it expire and they gave us another free year.

I'm so happy this case is not going cold. I've been following this case because it hits so close to home. She's my age, a student, only lives an hour away and basically my kind of people (modern day hippie, no drugs except a little pot, spends saturdays seeing a band, plans to move to nola, etc.). It's like this could have been one of my friends :(

I think the truck was found on the 31st, not the 21st. We don't have any information about when it was reported stolen AFAIK. (eta: unless that sentence means it was both reported stolen and located on the same day).

On June 14, Investigators received information from a concerned citizen, regarding a white Z71 that may be involved in Mickey's disappearance. The vehicle in question was registered to Brandon Lavergne. Further investigation revealed that the truck was reported stolen in Montgomery County, Texas and later located in San Jacinto County, Texas on May 31st. The truck had been burned just days after police released photographs of the truck as a vehicle of interest.
BBM. They didn't release pics of the truck(s) until May 25th/26th.

Okay, I think I know what the emblem is on the silver service box. He worked for Wood Group. I looked up their emblem. Dang. It is red and two initials....anybody else think that might be the sticker on the silver work box?

underneath the big Black header "Laff Police Hold Press Conf in Mickey Shunick Case"

there is the word MORE: written in small font with a bunch of links in light blue in small font as well

one of the links is "Brandon Scott Lavergne's 1999 arrest report"

try it and let us know

thanks!!

Wow it works. Now off to read it.

On your way stop off at the 135 exit and look around.

Has anyone ever confirmed whether or not LE searched the area on the other side of the bridge? An area you mentioned a couple of times? I also saw LE on the traffic cams, not volunteers, but have not seen anything to confirm.

I'm sorry if this has been discussed and I missed it. If so, please ignore.

Is it common for RSOs to be able to obtain a job like BSL's? I know offshore work hiring isn't exactly picky, to put it lightly, and that there are likely many offshoresmen with criminal backgrounds. But a Tier 3 RSO? As soon as I got that back on a background check that would be the end of that hiring process.

So I was correct. He DID NOT kidnap her. That was my point. And at the time someone posted that he had kidnapped someone previously, the link to this info had not been posted.

he broke into her home at 130am. she was asleep in her bed. he held her down into the mattress and blindfolded her with her own shirt and tied her hands. took her clothes off. she said she was a virgin and he said that he wouldn't take that away from her. forced her at knifepoint or gunpoint (she said sharp object in her side) to do oral sex. then walked her to the bathroom. forced her to spit into a cloth and rinse her mouth. then he untied her and said count to 100 or 1000. i can't remember. he told her that if she told anyone he'd come back and burn her house down with everyone inside. poor thing was so afraid that she left out the oral sex part in her first interview with police. they felt she was leaving something out so they asked her mother to talk with her

he ripped the phones out of the wall but they didn't get any readable prints off the phone. they saw mud prints at the window he broke into. she told police that his voice sounded like her cousin's boyfriend's voice. she said he had a very distinct voice. she gave police his name and indeed it was Brandon

he told police that she invited him over and they kissed, but that he didn't take her clothes off. her shirt however was found on side of the bed still tied in a knot. they ended up finding a cloth with sticky substance at his home and turned it into the crime lab

the truck conversation has only just begun... as it has been linked to him and a new one purchased as well as ongoing arson investigation.

It only stands to reason, then, that we introduce "DST" (damn silver truck) into WS lexicon. :banghead:

I was so relieved to read that an arrest has been made in Mickey's disappearance. I must admit, when I read that he had been charged with murder, it felt like a kick in the gut. Although that was the outcome we suspected, seeing the word in print made the reality of it all sink in. Thoughts and prayers go out to Mickey's family and friends.

I wonder if searchers have looked for her remains in the area where the truck was found. It's such a vast area, and so much time has elapsed, that I fear the chances of finding her are slim. Hopefully she can be returned to her family so that she can be laid to rest.

I haven't seen a report of the condition of the burned truck. Did he succeed in destroying it completely? The chief of police was vague on the subject of DNA. It would be wonderful if they were able to recover something from his vehicle.
IMO

I agree with you 1000%. He also has a history of burning buildings and threatening to burn. Somehow I could easily picture that pressure washer at his mobile home/concrete slab. The only question I had is why he would need two. Unless there were two crime scenes.

If they caught him on the Onstar, they probably can figure out where he paused/stopped to dispose of a body if he did.

Can you link to this info that he has a history of burning? Or is this just rumor? Thanks!

I'm sorry if this has been discussed and I missed it. If so, please ignore.

Is it common for RSOs to be able to obtain a job like BSL's? I know offshore work hiring isn't exactly picky, to put it lightly, and that there are likely many offshoresmen with criminal backgrounds. But a Tier 3 RSO? As soon as I got that back on a background check that would be the end of that hiring process.

I wondered about that too...seems like he had a pretty good job. How did he get it? Do they really not care who they hire for these jobs? Or did he get it through a temp agency? I thought I saw something about a temp agency yesterday, not sure.

So I was correct. He DID NOT kidnap her. That was my point. And at the time someone posted that he had kidnapped someone previously, the link to this info had not been posted.

No, you're incorrect. Being held against your will can constitute kidnapping. The girl was held against her will.

So, did BSL actually report his truck stolen to LE? I had thought he told the car dealership woman that it was stolen and she recognized him, his story and his whited out RSO license to be suspicious and she called LE on him.
I am not sure BSL called and reported his DWT stolen. Anyone know for sure?
I'd like to see that police report if there was one.

As far as I know, he only told the car dealership woman he needed to buy another truck because his was stolen in Texas.

Kidnapping includes "detaining unlawfully"...does not have to involve moving or taking a person from one place to another...he certainly did that with his earlier known victim.

As far as I know, he only told the car dealership woman he needed to buy another truck because his was stolen in Texas.

The truck was reported stolen in Montgomery County, TX. According to the LPD press release. HTH!

Is this the truck? :waitasec:

Burning pickup truck found under La Porte highway overpass possibly stolen

Posted: Friday, June 15, 2012 1:26 pm
By FLORIAN MARTIN
The La Porte Fire Marshal’s Office is investigating an apparent arson of a vehicle that was found on a road under the state highways 146/225 overpass Sunday (June 10).
La Porte police responded to a vehicle fire shortly after 10 p.m. and found what appeared to be a pickup truck fully engulfed in flames. Firefighters arrived shortly after and extinguished the fire. However, the truck melted almost entirely, La Porte police spokesman Sgt. John Krueger said.
The officer at the scene could not make out the license plate number but identified the vehicle as a possibly white 2004 to 2008 GMC or Chevrolet extended cab pickup truck.
The vehicle was stripped of all of its contents, which could indicate that the truck was stolen before it was put on fire, Krueger said.
On Monday, a worker from a nearby industrial complex reported that his vehicle was stolen. He said he had just learned of the fire in the morning.
Krueger said it is unclear why the man hadn’t reported his vehicle stolen earlier.

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/pasa...cle_b6926ad2-fd67-543c-a416-c53ec5a8b88e.html

Also saw coverage on HuffPO today

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...vergne-arrested-mickey-shunick_n_1653743.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nirvanita55