LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #34

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't leave us aussiegirl_88. Frustration is endemic to the sleuthing process.

-------
One of our members here in this case, said she/he saw buzzards circling over a wooded area and asked if that was something to consider.

I posted an opinion to the effect of: In the Gary Hilton murder cases, I saw a video, where one of the victims was found because of buzzards circling overhead. My bold below on the article.

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/J...ael_Hilton_Case_Begins_Monday_114908669.html:

UPDATE 2-4 9:45pm by Amy Long

Ronnie Rentz was called to the stand Friday afternoon to testify on what he found during one of his hunting trips. He says he was at his usual location where he released his hunting dogs when he saw buzzards. "I could just see, down to the waist and as I got closer I bent over and looked and could see the legs and the feet of a body." Rentz has hunted in the Apalachicola National Forest for years now and says he's never seen anything like what he came across December 15th, 2007 when he found Cheryl Dunlap's body

Skylar Newton a two year old missing in AZ waas also located because a man searching saw buzzards.

I live very close to where a body was found in some woods less then 1/4 mile from me. For two years the body was in the woods and no one knew it but our neighborhood was ALWAYS surrounded by buzzards. One morning I opened my door and there were 3 in my back yard!. They nested in the tree line close to where they fed off the body and they decided to move in the neighborhood. They all moved out after his remains where found. Which is weird because they were here for two years and surely were not feeding on the remains so I wondered about that.

After the missing man was found I thought about the buzzards and researched them (worth doing I learned tons) and found black buzzards cant smell well and turkey buzzards smell really well. Black buzzards circle high and turkey buzzards fly lower. They like there food fresher and wont eat it if it is too old. Also If you have got 20 low flying buzzards . You might wanna check it out. 5 or 10 high flying ones there are just looking but the low flying ones already spotted something. Or they would be scanning the area with the high flyers.

All this is based from what I remember from a few years old and I think they can (turkey buzzards ) smell for up to 10 miles away. But wind direction can make them up to 3 miles off ? (not confident I got this right)

aussiegirl, i am sorry for your frustration. the time wasted to put a post like that together has to be maddening.

do you know if his father is alive? can we ask that?

When posts are removed there is usually a good reason for it. Sometimes they are being removed because there is a problem that needs to be solved and they are restored when questions are answered.Sometimes they are removed because they contain information that is not allowed or there is a TOS violation. If a mod did not write you it was probably because there was no time. Usually when that happenes the member simply drops us a note and we figure it out together-in private. We do not like to remove posts, we know a lot of effort goes into them and do what we can to get posts returned or modified.

In the future we ask that instead of derailing the thread by complaining about treatment, just shoot one of us a note. Every moderator here is more than happy to fix mistakes, explain problems and/or share information.

This is up near Dallas, but maybe worth a look....just in case...he seems to have gotten around quite a bit.
They were found over a month ago but I cannot find anything to say they have been positively IDed. I hope local LE in Henderson County knows about Mickey's case.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/world/article/322599/28/Human-remains-found-in-east-Texas

I cant even tell you how many names run though my head of who this could be might be etc.. whenever they find remains anywhere. It is so sad. I hope they get and ID quickly .

I wonder if they have the remains listed on Namus yet?

http://www.wbrz.com/news/retired-detective-profiles-shunick-suspect-weeks-before-arrest

Retired detective profiles Shunick suspect weeks before arrest

BATON ROUGE - News 2 first interviewed retired Baton Rouge Police Detective Major Dennis Kelley about 22-year-old Mickey Shunick's disappearance on May 28, 2012.

He was aware of the search of Whiskey Bay and the vehicle descriptions released by Lafayette Police.

At the time, Kelley said Lafayette Police will probably be looking for, "a white male, around 30 years old, he has a job, might be offshore, he's a night person, probably lives alone, he's a bragger. Obviously the perpetrator has plenty of mobility, and he probably wears boots."

Well, he was on target with that one. I wonder about the significance of the boots, though.:waitasec:

Well, he was on target with that one. I wonder about the significance of the boots, though.:waitasec:

Prints left somewhere? Please say yes!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Fair warning- I let the existing posts of complaint stand but will not continue to do so and have removed those after my last post.

They are not about Mickey or the case- they are about moderators and that is just not cool.

Look for Forum Leaders Here

I have been following along, but not posting too much. Like everyone here, I am glad they have a suspect in custody. At the same time, I am very sad because of the probable outcome for Mickey Shunick's family. I want to offer my condolences to them, but I just can't accept the finality of Mickey's death just yet. It's too soon for me. Until she is found, there will always be a tiny ember of hope that cannot be extinguished.

The odds are 99.999% that this is a homicide, but there are still other possibilities. They may be far-fetched I know, but not impossible. The suspect (BSL) may have connected with someone in TX who offered to give him money for kidnapping a female fitting a certain profile. Yes I know BSL is a sexual predator, but he may have been involved with other types of criminal activity, like human trafficking.

The LE agencies may have proof that Mickey is deceased, but they have not said that. They have pointed to strong indications that she is no longer alive: no contact from her, no use of her cell phone, no sightings of any kind, the destruction of her bike, plus all the other evidence they have. (I wish they could tell us if they have absolute proof of her death.)

Even so, Mickey still needs to be found. Until there is absolute proof of death, there is still the possibility of life, however unlikely. It feels kind of weird to say this, and I apologize if it upsets anyone, but Mickey could still be alive. If she was taken to human trafficking criminals, that could seem as horrible and hopeless as her being deceased, but it's not! She could still escape from traffickers someday.

In time most people will come to an acceptance of Mickey's passing from this world. Eventually I guess I will too, but not yet...please, not just yet.

:tears::rose:

http://www.theadvertiser.com/articl...Mickey-Shunick-case?odyssey=mod|breaking|art2

Been re-watching, re-reading, etc., as I was rushing to get caught up on this thread yesterday.

One thing from the video linked above, which struck me as being of particular interest: the spokesperson stated that LE was treating the residence as a crime scene.

We also learned that the skirting was removed from the home by LE, and that a couple of pieces of the skirting were confiscated by LE.

So we have a crime scene. Question is: what crime was committed here?

Sorry - I realize the following error is very common but much like spelling is to others this is one of my pet peeves:

Vultures live in North America and Europe.

Buzzards DO NOT live in North America; their habitat is located in Africa, drier climates in Asia and warmer climates in Europe.

http://vulturesociety.homestead.com/TVFacts.html#anchor_53

Sorry - I realize the following error is very common but much like spelling are to others this is one of my pet peeves:

Buzzards DO NOT live in North America; their habitat is located in Africa, drier climates in Asia and warmer climates in Europe.

Whoops! Seems this Cajun crew (myself included) can only differentiate between gators and crocs.

Sorry - I realize the following error is very common but much like spelling are to others this is one of my pet peeves:

Did not know that FootballMom.....

Black Vulture: Often spoken of as Nature's scavenger.

The Black Vulture is known by some as the buzzard. Its French name is Carencro. It is completely black with a little white under the wings. Its black head lacks feathers. The wing spread is a little under five feet, and the flight is very graceful and majestic.

The Turkey Vulture, which is very common in all of Louisiana differs from the Black Vulture by its larger size and red head. In flight the greater amount of white on its wings and its longer tail will separate it from the Black Vulture.

The vultures are permanent residents of Louisiana. This mean that they live here in summer and winter.

Their food, which consists of dead animals, is located by the bird's keen sight. It is the belief of many farmers that this bird spreads the dreaded diseases of charbon and hog cholera. This ma be partly true, but it can be prevented by the vaccination of live stock against such diseases.

The nest is made on the ground, in a log or stump, usually in a swamp or along a river. One to three large white speckled eggs hatch into creatures covered with buffy down. They are fed by regurgitation since adult birds cannot carry anything in their bills or feet. The Black Vulture tends to be gregarious.

BTW Carencro is not far from Church Point as the crow flies!

In the press conference the Chief gave a range of where this may have happened and he never said the word intersection at any point.

The chief specifically stated that they believed she was taken somewhere between St. Landry & St. Mary and Blackham Coliseum. Since St. Landry and St. Mary are streets which intersect, and which run perpendicular; and given her last known location (on St. Landry, just west of University) and her last known direction (headed towards St. Mary), I think it's a reasonable assumption to make that it happened between St. Mary and Coliseum, along St. Landry.

If I had to guess -- and this is 100% conjecture on my part -- I'd guess that she was taken in the fairly desolate former OLOL location, +/- one block. It's just the most logical "prime location" for committing such a crime. The other place I'd deem most likely would be, as others here have mentioned, the desolate area behind Blackham Coliseum, near the intersection of St. Landry & Coliseum Dr.

Now that someone has been arrested.
Would it be possible to start a thread somewhere showing areas searched
if it would not interfere with the investigation so some of us can continue on looking and searching.

Thank you in advance.

Thanks for your post! I personally like your suggestion and think that our sleuthing skills could be put to great use by systematically checking off previously searched areas and then identifying areas of great interest based on what we now know (timeline) about BSL activities in the days and weeks following Mickey's disappearance.

With search efforts for Mickey still ongoing, making suggestions to the search group (based on our theories) could bring positive results. And since the search for Mickey will need to expand to include Texas this sort of up to date communication about search efforts could benefit foot soldiers in multiple cities along BSL route.

Did not know that FootballMom.....

Black Vulture: Often spoken of as Nature's scavenger.

The Black Vulture is known by some as the buzzard. Its French name is Carencro. It is completely black with a little white under the wings. Its black head lacks feathers. The wing spread is a little under five feet, and the flight is very graceful and majestic.

The Turkey Vulture, which is very common in all of Louisiana differs from the Black Vulture by its larger size and red head. In flight the greater amount of white on its wings and its longer tail will separate it from the Black Vulture.

The vultures are permanent residents of Louisiana. This mean that they live here in summer and winter.

Their food, which consists of dead animals, is located by the bird's keen sight. It is the belief of many farmers that this bird spreads the dreaded diseases of charbon and hog cholera. This ma be partly true, but it can be prevented by the vaccination of live stock against such diseases.

The nest is made on the ground, in a log or stump, usually in a swamp or along a river. One to three large white speckled eggs hatch into creatures covered with buffy down. They are fed by regurgitation since adult birds cannot carry anything in their bills or feet. The Black Vulture tends to be gregarious.

BTW Carencro is not far from Church Point as the crow flies!

Carencro is not French for the black buzzard. Carencro, the city, used to be called St. Pierre. When they put in the railroad through the city, Carrion Crows became abundant. Carrion Crow morphed into Carencro. I did a paper on it when I was in elementary school.

A poster earlier referred to Dr. Matt Ridley's theories regarding genetics and nature vs. nurture. I find his studies interesting and valid, but they are somewhat biased towards the study of genetics and the genome. At the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, in the field of psychology we have studied serveral differents doctors' theories that support both environmental and hereditary factors in one's life. In respect to Darwin's Theory of Natural Selection both genetics and the environment work together to produce life as we know it, as well as the variation between different individuals and families.

I find it interesting that BSL was adopted and has been through a rough environment that consists of bullying and disassociation to a certain extent. This lends to the nature vs. nurture conundrum and fuels the fiery debate on both sided IMO. I refuse to take one side over the other in this debate and remain neutral to all info. However, I find Dr. Ridley's theories interesting, but they are just that THEORIES. And as far as I'm concerned there aren't any Laws in the field of psychology, and scientists conduct experiments which support their research. Here is the link to some of Dr. Ridley's opinions.

http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/ridley03/ridley_print.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member