LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #34

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BSL attending church the first weekend of June in Crowley fits in to my speculation that he drove back to Lafayette via I10 to return the rental car and stopped by his moms on the way It is possible he attended with his mother. She lives in Rayne, which is right next to Crowley. I think at one time he lived in Rayne himself. Northside Assembly of God church, as well as several other churches in the area work with InnerFaith Prison Ministry
( http://www.innerfaithpm.org/_/Home.html) and have people who go in to the prisons and talk to prisoners. He may have spoken with someone with the ministry prior to releaseand started attending this church when he was released. Where he currently lives in Swords it is now about a 45 minute drive for him if he is to go to Crowley to attend church, so it is understandable to me that he does not attend there regularly, not to mention he is probably offshore on many Sunday.

Something is wrong it appears with the date though,as June 4th was a Monday, and not a Sunday. June 4th was reportedly the date he returned the car to a Lafayette rental company, according to the timeline: June 4, 2012, 4:57 p.m.: BSL returns rental car.

Correct. Northside Assembly of God does not have Monday services, so it would have to be June 3.

(MOO-mour has it Lafayette is hiring some new fact checkers for its media stations and publications :slap: )

I think he killed her and probably did some unmentionable things to her in that home. As for the siding, and their search underneath. I tend to believe he may have hid her under there until he could bring the body to another location, and possibly while he went off shore. Think about it, buzzards would still circle, but no one would find her in the field.

Personally, I don't think he brought her back to his house - too risky to leave her while he left for an extended period of time and would be very hard to explain to the gf if she decided to drop by for a visit. Sadly, I think Mickey was dumped in close proximity to either her bike or the burned out truck. I do think it's possible there is evidence at the house that LE spotted, as the first press conference described his dwelling as something to the effect that they were "working a major crime scene". Based on possible surveillance footage, they could have found the same clothes he was wearing, her mace, etc. - they left with 3 large bags of evidence. I don't think that necessarily means there was blood spatter all over the walls or something like that. I also firmly believe there may be a video of what happened to make them believe so strongly that she is dead and that is why the date of her death is listed on the arrest warrant as the same day she disappeared.

As an aside, one thing I keep reading pages back and I don't know if it's been corrected is that he cooperated by turning over his cell phone. That is not accurate. According to his arrest warrant, the cell phone was seized at the time of his arrest - he had no say so to tell authorities, no, you can't have that.

"Detectives seized Lavergne’s cellphone during the arrest, according to booking records."

http://theadvocate.com/home/3276626-125/arrest-made-in-shunick-disappearance

I can understand this attitude if someone is vegan. If, however, the person eats any kind of meat, fish, wears leather, etc. then it's disingenuous.
Hunting and fishing for food are no problem for me. In some areas, there are sanctioned hunts to keep down an animal population in order for herds to thrive.

But not everyone hunts for food. Some people do it just for the sport.

I have just wondered for a long time how people that hunt felt about it and if empathy ever came in to play.

I personally don't think I could look an animal in the eye and then kill it. To me, if it is an animal or a human, I don't think I could kill it.

I have also wondered how we expect our soldiers to go back and forth to war -in and out of it being morally acceptable to kill,then not kill,kill and not kill. And then they wonder how a soldier ends up killing back in the states.

here's what i'm wondering

if the DA has good solid evidence that he killed her, could he try to say, well yes, i accidentally hit her while she was riding her bike. she was dead when i got out of the truck. i panicked and hid her body. you know the whole scenario that we talked about for so long before his arrest. could he lie and use this if they don't have evidence to prove otherwise. if he does do this, the charge would change from Murder 1, right?

Yes, it would be the same charge. Aggravated kidnapping could be because he hit her with his vehicle as part of a kidnap attempt. The 1st degree murder could be because he also killed her in the kidnap attempt. To be objectionable, many other scenario's would also bring these charges. I do not personally believe she died from the hit but I do feel that she was severely injured perhaps to the point that rape is questionable. Even some of the absolute worst murderers out there do not want to rape a severely injured woman.

Believe me, sausage as a gift is not all that unusual in South Louisiana.

Price Leblanc in Baton Rouge gave it out with a new car purchase at one point. I am not sure if they still do.

This may be a stupid question, but I read that the assistant district attorney will be prosecuting the case. I would think that in a city the size of Lafayette, that this would be considered a high-profile case. (it would be in most cities, I would think). Is it normal that an asst da and not the district attorney would prosecute such a case?

Conflict of interest maybe? Happens a lot in the Phx area.

if the DA has good solid evidence that he killed her, could he try to say, well yes, i accidentally hit her while she was riding her bike. she was dead when i got out of the truck. i panicked and hid her body. you know the whole scenario that we talked about for so long before his arrest. could he lie and use this if they don't have evidence to prove otherwise. if he does do this, the charge would change from Murder 1, right?

I must apologize as I did not read your question correctly. It would still be the same charges.

Perhaps if this is the way it really happened he could plea down in exchange for her location. As her body would then benefit this theory and e could prove that she died as a result of being hit. I also feel that is why he will not reveal the location because he knows he killed her to either hide the accident or he sex crime.

Price Leblanc in Baton Rouge gave it out with a new car purchase at one point. I am not sure if they still do.

Those were GREAT commercials. May Mr. Leblanc rest in peace.

"Come get you a new car and some great sausage too... DAHLIN!!!"

Classic.

You've got to be kidding me.

Just to be clear...did you just compare hunting a deer or rabbit to that of killing a human? :banghead:

No, I questioned why people who hunt feel it is acceptable to kill an animal.

I don't think it is something I could personally do because I have a lot of empathy for animals as well as humans.

But not everyone hunts for food. Some people do it just for the sport.

I have just wondered for a long time how people that hunt felt about it and if empathy ever came in to play.

I personally don't think I could look an animal in the eye and then kill it. To me, if it is an animal or a human, I don't think I could kill it.

I have also wondered how we expect our soldiers to go back and forth to war -in and out of it being morally acceptable to kill,then not kill,kill and not kill. And then they wonder how a soldier ends up killing back in the states.

i know alot of hunters that just duck hunt because they don't feel like it's as lovely as a creature as a deer. of all the hunters I've known, they do a good job of using the food. at the end of the year there is an empty your freezers for the poor thing that they do. the hunters and fisherman bring any extra sausage, meat, fish, etc that they have too much of and it goes to the hungry.

venison sausage is my favorite as much as i hate to admit and duck and oyster gumbo is hands down the BEST.

I am not making any leap. The discussion just brought up a question I have often wondered about regarding hunters killing animals. I am in no way implying that a hunter who kills an animal would be a human killer.

Thanks for your interesting info! It sounds like you also eat what you kill. I am more curious I guess in people who hunt just for the sport.

Woah! That's quite a leap! :)

I think, like with most everything, it's a personal choice. I grew up in a family that has always had hunting camps, and fishing camps and cows and chickens and dogs and pigs and horses. (Animal Lovers)

I use to hunt when I was a teenager with my daddy. (have killed a few deer myself, as well as snakes and even roaches and mosquitos!) Where do you draw the line??

In the south (which with a name like Boudin, I'm assuming you know this ;) ) It's just a way of life, passed down for generations (like my great grandmothers sweet iced tea recipe) Just because you can go out and buy iced tea in a jug from the walmart doesn't mean everybody has to all the time. Sometimes its good to get back to your roots and remember where ya came from! And some peoples roots just happen to be a little deeper in the woods ;)

With all that said, I'm completely positive that 100% of the hunters I know have never and WILL NEVER make that huge leap that you suggested. ;)

I must apologize as I did not read your question correctly. It would still be the same charges.

Perhaps if this is the way it really happened he could plea down in exchange for her location. As her body would then benefit this theory and e could prove that she died as a result of being hit. I also feel that is why he will not reveal the location because he knows he killed her to either hide the accident or he sex crime.

true. i don't really believe that this is the way it happened, but if that's the little story he tries to spin then they can say ok ok then tell us where her body is so we can see the cause of death. then when he still won't say where she is, they will be certain that he's lying

No, I questioned why people who hunt feel it is acceptable to kill an animal.

I don't think it is something I could personally do because I have a lot of empathy for animals as well as humans.

So much empathy for animals that your name is a sausage :floorlaugh:

11206801.jpg
am i the only one that thinks he looks like he's smirking in a way in the new mugshot?

http://jades.lafayettesheriff.com:8888/index2.php?nav=record&id=792068

here's teh old one

brandon_scott_lavergne_new.jpg

and looked around a bit and saw that the DA's office has been under investigation. I tried to read about it, but it's a rather strange tale-sounds like a bit of nepotism going on there too. I have no idea if this is at all related.

http://www.theind.com/news/10211-advocate-da-took-dozens-of-owi-cases-from-pd-city-prosecutor

Maybe he's not much of a litigator! I did find a statement of his rather odd:

July 11, 2012

LAFAYETTE — A grand jury is set to meet next week to consider first-degree murder and aggravated kidnapping charges against Brandon Scott Lavergne, arrested in the May 19 disappearance of Mickey Shunick, 15th Judicial District Attorney Mike Harson said Tuesday.

Police say they have yet to locate Shunick and continue to investigate the case.

“Apparently, they think they have enough to proceed to the grand jury at this time,” Harson said.

http://theadvocate.com/home/3313267-125/grand-jury-meets-next-week

Now, where I live it's the DA, the Prosecutor who presents the case to the GJ. I've never heard one say anything that wishy washy about a First Degree murder case they were prosecuting. But maybe things are different in LA...I hope the ADA on the case has a little more faith and enthusiasm...

This may be a stupid question, but I read that the assistant district attorney will be prosecuting the case. I would think that in a city the size of Lafayette, that this would be considered a high-profile case. (it would be in most cities, I would think). Is it normal that an asst da and not the district attorney would prosecute such a case?

I would think that even if the ADA is the main prosecutor, he or she is working closely with the DA.

I just have a feeling that he won't ever admit to anything in this case, that he will just sit it out, not testify obviously, and take his chances. But many many murders have resulted in convictions based on building a case through a series of pieces of evidence, both circumstantial and physical, and I think this will be the same. The main difference will be, most likely, not having Mickey's body, but even that should be overcome by the fact that by the time a trial takes place, it will be that much less unbelievable that she is alive, or was alive, after May 19th.

I'm not losing faith in LE, in this case or in Sierra's, that they made the correct charges based on the evidence in their possession. It is easy to begin to have doubts when we don't know what they have, but I think we will be surprised, in a good way, to find out that they have quite a bit.

The more I read about BSL, (and that is a lot!) the more he sounds like someone with Borderline Personality Disorder. I personally know someone with this disorder, and if you met them, you would never guess it... they are smooth speaking romeo's until you really get to know the heartless side of them. They seem to be able to convince people they are loving individuals, and may want to be, but what they really are, are very scary people. They can do horrible things and turn it off like a switch... Anyway, what happened with the deer meat guy? Anything? Can I ask that or do I need to delete?

During his time in prison, he completed the adult sex offender program during which time he impressed the program’s director so much that he wrote him a glowing letter which was sent to the Louisiana Adult Probation and Parole Districts. Lavergne was referred to as ‘a man who assists other inmates with their workbooks, handouts, videos, etc. He is prompt, reliable and maintains a positive attitude in his work.’

Read more: AcadiaParishToday.com - Prior arrest prison records show Lavergne s violent nature http://acadiaparishtoday.com/view/full_story/19244757/article-Prior-arrest--prison-records-show-Lavergne-s-violent-nature?instance=secondary_stories_left_column

The more I read about BSL, (and that is a lot!) the more he sounds like someone with Borderline Personality Disorder. I personally know someone with this disorder, and if you met them, you would never guess it... they are smooth speaking romeo's until you really get to know the heartless side of them. They seem to be able to convince people they are loving individuals, and may want to be, but what they really are, are very scary people. They can do horrible things and turn it off like a switch... Anyway, what happened with the deer meat guy? Anything? Can I ask that or do I need to delete?

During his time in prison, he completed the adult sex offender program during which time he impressed the program’s director so much that he wrote him a glowing letter which was sent to the Louisiana Adult Probation and Parole Districts. Lavergne was referred to as ‘a man who assists other inmates with their workbooks, handouts, videos, etc. He is prompt, reliable and maintains a positive attitude in his work.’

Read more: AcadiaParishToday.com - Prior arrest prison records show Lavergne s violent nature http://acadiaparishtoday.com/view/full_story/19244757/article-Prior-arrest--prison-records-show-Lavergne-s-violent-nature?instance=secondary_stories_left_column

If he has that type of personality, I don't think he will own up to anything.

After OJ, Casey Anthony, and Robert Blake's acquittal anythings possible. We all know how innocent they were NOT.........:what:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aqfina2000