LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #34

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He returned the rental car on June 4th. I can't imagine he'd return it unless he had his new vehicle.

hth
Awesome timeline......

How about -- :waitasec:
-- I understood that his truck was stolen from Texas car dealership while he was looking to purchase another auto; did dealership vouch for theft and report also.

-- Where did he return the rental car (city) and how many miles did he put on it?

-- Did insurance pay for any other expenses like hotel, meals due to truck theft claim?

My continued prayers for Mickey :angel: and her family to have strength while waiting for her return.

The question is,even if he was incarcerated from 2000-2008, was he allowed out for any type of work programs? I saw he went to school for educational programs. Was that all done in prison, online or did he attend classes somewhere? (lake Charles?)

Any possibility that this could indicate that it wasn't a planned attack? That it really was an opportunity and he was just flying by the seat of his pants, so to speak? Trying to figure out his next move while trying to cover his tracks at the same time, yet not seeing the entire picture?

Yeah I think so. The whole thing to me seems to be impulsive, but at the same time every one of his moves seems to show discretion on BSL's part.

don't apologize. yes The Advertiser's printing building is on Bertrand and they gave the police new footage on the morning of the arrest. So we are speculating that the footage of Betrand shows BSL with Mickey's bike in the bed of his truck and or her in the passenger side maybe.

i think it was the morning of the arrest. someone correct me if i'm wrong
thankyou! Just a few questions, have the advertiser discussed why it took them 46/47 days to either check their surveillance or report it to LE? A bit confused here but wasn't all camera owners home/buisness asked to check them at the time of the disappearance?

I have two thoughts and I know they both contradict each other.

First is that she went willingly, this is the only way I can make sense of the bike being kidnapped. Taking the bike just does not make sense. If she did go willful into vehicle, that does not negate a kidnapping charge. No one in their right or even wrong mind would take the bike in an abduction., unlees they were so completely out of it and they did indeed run her over which I do not see as part of an abduction plan.......leads me to number 2

LE definitely has video evidence that we are not privy to and will not know anytime soon until trial.

I have to disagree here manzana.
Leaving Mickey's bike on the ground, damaged, would likely alert someone something had happened quick.
A cop could even have come along and called hospitals right away.
Taking the bike, 10 seconds to throw it in the bed of the truck, bought him time.
Mickey wasn't missed until she missed her brother's graduation the next day.

Awesome timeline......

-- I understood that his truck was stolen from Texas car dealership while he was looking to purchase another auto; did dealership vouch for theft and report also.

-- Where did he return the rental car (city) and how many miles did he put on it?

-- Did insurance pay for any other expenses like hotel, meals due to truck theft claim?

My continued prayers for Mickey and her family to have strength while waiting for her return.

BSL reported his truck stolen. We think it's part of his cover story to burn and get rid of the truck.

We don't know where it was returned. I guess wherever he bought the new truck.

Supposedly insurance paid for the rental car. Hotel, meals have not been reported yet as far as I know.

The question is,even if he was incarcerated from 2000-2008, was he allowed out for any type of work programs? I saw he went to school for educational programs. Was that all done in prison, online or did he attend classes somewhere? (lake Charles?)

Great question..... Also
Where was he incarcerated during his prison sentence? Was it Angola the entire time?

Is there an address or street name of where his burnt truck was recovered?

Just wondering, will the burnt truck be released and brought to Lafayette or will it have to remain in Texas due to the arson investigation? Anyone know how this would be handled?

Yeah I think so. The whole thing to me seems to be impulsive, but at the same time every one of his moves seems to show discretion on BSL's part.

Agreed, hence why I think that he's done something like this before and he fell into a familiar pattern of actions, but at the same time, was sloppy/impulsive in a way as this situation wasn't planned, it was an opportunity that he saw fit to take advantage of....IMO

Louisiana First Degree Murder Law
LSA-R.S. 14:30

A. First degree murder is the killing of a human being:

(1) When the offender has specific intent to kill or to inflict great bodily harm and is engaged in the perpetration or attempted perpetration of aggravated kidnapping, second degree kidnapping, aggravated escape, aggravated arson, aggravated rape, forcible rape, aggravated burglary, armed robbery, assault by drive-by shooting, first degree robbery, second degree robbery, simple robbery, terrorism, cruelty to juveniles, or second degree cruelty to juveniles.

Great question..... Also
Where was he incarcerated during his prison sentence? Was it Angola the entire time?

No, see BBM below:

Lavergne was sentenced to 10 years in prison, which he served at the C. Paul Phelps Correctional Center in DeQuincy in Calcasieu Parish, said Pam Laborde, communications director with the Louisiana Department of Corrections.

(see article for more)

Since he was so careless in not thinking about video especially, I wonder if maybe he was not "trolling" for a victim but could not resist Mickey when she just happened to be there. From what I understand about sexual predators, their "urges" take over and can even block out their common sense and usual planning at times. Otherwise I can't understand why he wouldn't stop to think that he had probably been seen on camera. I really think he just could not deny himself and figured he would do such a good job "hiding" her, that he would never be connected.

And then he saw his truck on the news and had to do a little more clean-up and hiding of evidence than he planned. I guess his truck must not have been very damaged, since he did not burn it right away.

This article leaves a few thing to question about the studies. Mainly the question I had was was the body embalmed? Is that why the birds didnt show up for 37 days?

Also I doubt the subject has not been studied before . I know I have read tons of information about this and the arrival of the birds after 37 days without any explaination as to why made me question what the researchers know about the birds and the way they choose what and when to eat and how they locate the meal. JMO.

I believe the donated corpses are not embalmed and in a natural state so the studies can be conducted as if simply dead and lying in the open/woods.
We may have to e-mail Dr Voss and inquire.

don't apologize. yes The Advertiser's printing building is on Bertrand and they gave the police new footage on the morning of the arrest. So we are speculating that the footage of Betrand shows BSL with Mickey's bike in the bed of his truck and or her in the passenger side maybe.

i think it was the morning of the arrest. someone correct me if i'm wrong
thankyou! Just a few questions, have the advertiser discussed why it took them 46/47 days to either check their surveillance or report it to LE? A bit confused here but wasn't all camera owners home/buisness asked to check them at the time of the disappearance?

IIRC May 24th was the first time LE asked businesses to check for any footage of May 19th early morning along Mickeys possible route home.

:banghead:
Don't y'all mistake my register date as a newcomer! I have been lurkin through these threads since little Hailey Dunne went missing. My daddy is ret. law enforcement over in Terrebone.

Foremost I have said many a prayer for the Shunick family and I have prayed and prayed for little Mickey's safe return. Now I have prayers for the Lavergne family as well. Both of these families have some heartache ahead of them.

<modsnip>

What has brought me out my hiding spot was a sweet little girl named Kimberly that made some comments here yesterday and was quickly put in her place. And now I just have to ask why some of y'all are so against this theory that our dear law enforcement did not see Mickey being taken in that video in front of the station?

Yet I have not seen any of y'all provide proof that this did not happen. How are y'all so sure? Our good Chief Craft did say that it could have been on St. Landry, St. Mary or Blackham and I take this to mean anywhere in is general area. Now this ain't no quote but I know what he said. Did any of y'all get that this was not a straight answer?

My daddy and I have studied those photos since they were released. Now that Brandon followed behind Mickey by one minute or less. Do y'all think he stopped and waited for her to get further down the road? Only common sense says he would have passed over or beside her within seconds. Do y'all think he passed her up and stopped somewhere to wait?

My thought is that something happened there on that video and that is why our good folks on this investigation stopped it where it was. I think the next frame showed something y'all and I don't want to witness.

For y'all that want to put that noose around my neck right now can y'all tell me why those good folks did not stop the video when there was a full image of the truck? Now it has been said by our good friend ACI that this was continuous video. Like my daddy has said, that is because they could not show us that frame.

<modsnip>
I hear you, IMO there are quite a few issues in those pictures. It is of the opinion of some that LE would not release a picture of that sort. I have seen many pictures of crimes that took place. Thousands saw President J.F. Kennedy shot. The main issue is even if it wasn't probable it could be possible. However, each and every one of us are entitled to our own opinion right or wrong.

In the interview that took place just after we learned bsl's name, that was in front of his home, A reporter was asking questions to a Sheriff. My instincts/life experience/observation was that this Sheriff is a man with a lot of experience and composure and that he had seen something upsetting and was very angry. I think he had self control and did not show his feelings except to say that it was a major crime scene.
That stood out to me.

IIRC May 24th was the first time LE asked businesses to check for any footage of May 19th early morning along Mickeys possible route home.

Thanks! So is there local hype as to why this took them so long? I just don't understand it! Mickey could've been found alot sooner:(

I don't think it would take 47 days to make an arrest if this scenario was captured on surveillance

I agree that 47 days seemed like a life time, but it's actually pretty fast compared to most cases like this. Too many go unsolved altogether.

I guess I'm still left wondering why additional stills were not shown along St Landry of the truck - their omission makes me suspicious. And I do think that they exist. They would have to, right? There are pics of the sedan further down St Landry (unless, I have this wrong - one of you good people tell me if I have this wrong).
Just me speculating...If a camera captured some of "what really happened" (not necessarily, what I posted) LE may still not have been able to id Brandon or his truck's lic plate based on the quality of the videos alone.

OT, but I saw (in that still) everything that you guys posted: from someone sitting/laying on the curb, to bike and light under the truck. Honestly, I enlarged that DWT still to the point that I could see Jesus in the front tire rim. If you don't believe me, blow it up and look at that rim...see what I mean? My son says I'm wrong, he said, "it's not Jesus, it's just some other dude". You be the judge...

Back to my point, let's say BSL's truck was in the foreground, behind Mickey on her bike and blocking camera's direct view- the actual incident (leading LE to charge BSL with aggravated kidnapping) could be on (or almost on) the next part of this tape or further along St Landry, but still not provide clear identifying features that would have lead to a quick arrest, IMO.

One other thing that I've been thinking about is that if LE or JA had given the public a physical description of the driver of the white truck (lets say they did know BSL features from a poor quality surveillance tape) how many drivers of 4-door white Chevy trucks would have fit that same description in south Louisiana?

I called in two tips myself during the 47 days - one driver was a RSO (not sure about the second with NC plates); both could be described as a match to BSL.

Awesome timeline......

My continued prayers for Mickey :angel: and her family to have strength while waiting for her return.

bbm: I may have just missed it, but I had not heard a report that the truck was stolen from a Texas car dealership while he was auto-shopping! Where did you get this impression/information?

Thanks! So is there local hype as to why this took them so long? I just don't understand it! Mickey could've been found alot sooner:(

How could she have been found sooner? She still is not found and they have seen the video...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove