LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #34

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't BSL rent a car in TX after reporting his truck "stolen" and then drive the rental back home and turn it in in Lafayette???

Didn't BSL rent a car in TX after reporting his truck "stolen" and then drive the rental back home and turn it in in Lafayette???

Yes, that is what was said here by an employee of the rental company. Someone quicker than me - link to post? I'm on my iPad.

If it is true he rented a car and drove back, I think her family will be devastated to learn this...her father is putting a lot of hope in him having someone else involved who picked him up and may know where Mickie is.

Thanks LindsayW!

Corporal McCutie (Mouton) says there is the LCG video and ANOTHER video.

Lotsa good stuff in this interview.

Wonder if it is the video from the Daily Advertiser or another video????

I don't understand where Nancy thinks Mickey is being held...

I agree, my husband brought me a stuffed chicken (with crawfish) one day as a gift.better than jewelry IMO.

Nobody has ever given me meat or sausage for a gift. A stuffed chicken with crawfish, sausage or some boudin would make an awesome gift. There is actually a lot of meat or seafood that would be good. I hope this catches on elsewhere.

<snip>
3. I first thought that BSL had a female accomplice, and I still believe that. However at this point I believe it is very possible he had a male accomplice also. Someone was funding this behavior and someone else was doing some thinking for him. I say that because there is two different lines of thinking going on here. The first line is whiting out the SO on your driver's license. Not so bright. However, the second line of thinking -- going out of state to buy a truck that was a silverado and not a Z71 so that your friends would think you always drove a Silverado and that was NOT your truck in the video -- now -- that kind of thinking is a different thought process. It is coming from a different mindset. I am sure there is some different contributions here -- I am just not sure where they are coming from. The reason I say this is because the kind of guy who spends time at that particular hospital is the kind of guy who would bump a girl off her bike and kill her, but he is not smart enough to cover his tracks this well by himself.

I also think it is important to find the dates that those houses burned and match them up with the dates someone in that area went missing and was never found. I think he burns to get rid of evidence.
Snip and BBM

Not sure I'm following you here ... Silverados can be Z-71s. Z-71 is an off-road package offered on GM vehicles. It's not specific to GMCs; it can be found on Chevys too as far as I know.

Secondly, I haven't seen anything that suggests he went out of state to buy a vehicle. Did I miss something? I thought the tip that came in from a dealership about his license being altered was local. Also, the rental car he rented was returned in Lafayette after being rented in Houston.

Being committed to a mental institution or having a mental illness does not mean a person is less intelligent. In fact, studies have shown no correlation between mental illness and intelligence.

Two of the cases I remember best from CLSH were the guy who hooked himself up to a car battery to electrocute himself and the guy who ate keys. Suffice it to say, and most people familiar with this hospital will tell you that there were no rocket scientists in the men's forensic unit at Central, quite the contrary. I disagree that there is no correlation between mental illness and intelligence, but that is another argument for another day. In simple terms if you assessed IQ on a men's forensic unit for the criminally insane and did another sampling let's say of men at the mall, I think you would find the average male shopping at the mall to beat out the inmates by a good 20 or 30 points. That is reality and not theory. However, I knew a doctor at Central who drove a lime green Vega with mudgrips strapped to the top which car had no reverse and thus he rammed it into the concrete parking curb until it bounced far enough in reverse that he could drive it home. It was very hard at the hospital to tell the patients from the physicians. Hard to tell the mentally ill from the sane....intelligent or otherwise :)

I don't understand where Nancy thinks Mickey is being held...

Me either, but if someone was to happen to offer a thought, she would cut them off or talk over them and we would never hear. Seriously though, I suppose any coverage is theoretically a good thing, but this just seems like a waste of an hour to me.

Yes. According to an employee of the rental agency, he rented a red Chevrolet Aveo in Houston on 5/31 and returned it in Lafayette on 6/4.

Snipped by me:

Timeline in Mickey Shunick's disappearance:

May 26, 2012: BSL reports his truck as stolen in Montgomery County, TX.

May 31, 2012: BSL’s truck is found burned in San Jacinto County, TX.

May 31, 2012: BSL files motion to be removed from the sex offender registry. Hearing is scheduled for August 9th.

May 31, 2012, 9:51 a.m.: BSL rents a red Chevrolet Aveo in Spring, TX, through an insurance claim on said stolen truck.

June 4, 2012, 4:57 p.m.: BSL returns rental car in Lafayette, LA.

I WANT TO KNOW WHERE HE WAS STAYING WHILE HE WAS IN TEXAS.
I know nobody can tell me, but I'm so stuck on this.

If it is true he rented a car and drove back, I think her family will be devastated to learn this...her father is putting a lot of hope in him having someone else involved who picked him up and may know where Mickie is.

Don't forget, he had to get from the burn location to the rental location. It's a pretty good theory that he had someone help him do that.

I cannot find it anywhere but I swear I read the truck had been 'stripped' - most thought this was to prove the truck was stolen...or perhaps it was stripped by someone actually robbing the truck where it was left, who knows. But youre right - someone in TX could be walking around with a cell phone or backpack belonging to Mickey. Or it could be burned in the truck. Since LE have the burned truck Im sure we would have heard if something major was in it...but maybe not?

Still looking for the quotes about the state of the truck when it was found - Im thinking that may have been comments and not in the article but I cant even find comments about it now!

I think that was the other DWT they found in Texas! :banghead:

Me either, but if someone was to happen to offer a thought, she would cut them off or talk over them and we would never hear. Seriously though, I suppose any coverage is theoretically a good thing, but this just seems like a waste of an hour to me.

Yes...her poor family is just as in the dark on the details we are, possibly more so. They don't know the condition of the burned truck, don't know what charge he was initially pulled over for, don't know about the rental car (if that is true).

I think it is far more productive for searches to take place where he could have left a body and not to imagine that she is in some mythical basement that no one knows exists, tied up but alive. I do not like to be harsh, but neither this guy or the guy who is suspected of murdering Sierra strike me as having the resources to have a secret hideaway where she could still be alive, nor do they strike me as having anyone else involved in either case, at least not in the stages up until the murders. Perhaps some people have some knowledge of things he did later, we will have to wait and see.

As much as we'd like to think she is alive...she isn't, IMO. And I for one am glad that LE is not rewarding these creeps by refusing to charge without a body. That is like rewarding them for being able to find a good hiding place, a la Susan Powell and Stacy Peterson.

How do we know he stayed anywhere in Spring? Did LE say that? I assumed he headed back the same day, got the heck out of town. I doubt he wanted anyone to know he was there that day, personally, as far as relatives and friends, in case they heard about the truck.

What I am saying here is that neither of us have been verified as bicycle accident reconstruction forensics experts. We have differing uneducated guesses as to how this accident could have occurred. Neither of us is going to outprove the other and I prefer to just move on.

And by saying uneducated, I mean no disrespect. I am using this word in the context that neither of us has had formal training in this area. If you have then please correct me.

No formal training in this specific area (reconstructing vehicle/bicycle accidents). I did take physics courses in both HS and in college, and let's just say I did extremely well in those courses. Physics, of course, is the scientific concept/school of thought which forms the basis for such specialized training protocols.

Not looking to out-prove anyone -- this isn't a contest, and I find a bit curious the notion that someone would think otherwise. Instead, the object here is to rule out possibilities in order to arrive one step closer to the fact-based truth of what happened.

As a sidebar, if I could offer you specifically some advice for WS, that advice would be that it's important a) that when taking issue with others, we make sure to take issue with the content/opinions, and not the poster themselves. I don't know you from anyone else on this board -- at least not to my knowledge. You could have been my neighbor when I lived in Lafayette; you could have been that cute girl I used to study with in college; you could be the crazy drunk chick from Poet's who was always a blast to be around on Tenacious Tuesdays; you could be the great waitress who I used to request at Charley G's, or the person who cut my hair, or the nurse who fixed me up when I did something stupid and cut my hand open after a Saints game. Trust me, my taking issue with your theories has nothing to do with a dislike of you. I don't know you; and b) that we not take the criticisms of our ideas, theories, opinions, etc. personally. Again, the overwhelming majority of us here don't know each other (at least that we know of).

I've seen posts you've made that have certainly brought new ideas to the discussion, though there seems to be question about the source. It's fair for someone to ask "is this your opinion, or are you presenting evidence which you can prove to be factual?". That's not an attack, it's pretty much WS protocol for avoiding convoluting a discussion with rampant speculation.

And if it's speculation, or rumor, then your bit on the printing shop/coulee is certainly intriguing. But let's make sure it's labeled as such, so as to preserve the integrity of our group discussion here. C'est bon? :)

I would assume at a relative's in Spring.

Okay, let's focus on the days following when we see the DWT on video wih the famous stop sign photo in front of the Circle K.

When did he report the truck stolen? When did they think it was burnt? When did he rent a car? When did he attempt to buy another truck? Where did he attempt to buy the truck?

How does this time frame match up to the days he was offshore?

Was the new truck he bought IDENTICAL to the truck we see in the video?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TommieHouston