LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #34

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
i know it has happened in the past, but WHY would or does a perp go to the searches???

personally, i don't think BSL did. i think he seemed the type to want to be done with it. i don;t think he wanted to dwell on the murder, JMO

To avoid suspicion they are responsible, tamper with evidence, hinder investigation, secretly laugh at everyone else who is desperately searching for their loved one. It's a sick game for them.

Mickey would not hav
Advertisements

Pre-OrderImperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony today!

e walked her bike home from that point, her house was more than 3 miles away. I doubt she would have walked her bike back to Brettly's either, she would have called someone for a ride. About a month ago a person whose son was a friend of Mickey's posted here. Mickey had called the son when she had a flat at 3 AM one morning and gotten a ride home. She would have just called someone to come an pick her up if she had been wrecked and left alone.

Maybe she didn't get the chance to call.

Usually comes across in the Direct Bill authorization from the insurance company. Statistics show that 90%+ of all thefts are recovered within 48 hours of being stolen. Therefore as a service, if the vehicle is found in 48 hours or less we don't bill the insurance company.

One side question, whenever we have a customer claiming a rental was stolen, the first question we ask every time is does the customer have the keys ? I wonder if BSL still had his truck keys ?

There was a Gilcrease murder in Alexandria (about 30 minutes from house) on 06/10/2002. They have a sketch of the perp and I guess witnesses from the bar too. Anyone who cares to look -- I cant decide whether I think the sketch of the perp looks similar to him or not and I don't know when his date of incarceration started. i vaguely recall the details of this case and I think the perp killed and her and then ran her over and left her in a field.

He was convicted feb 2000 and released August 2008

Anyone in BR just see the WBRZ 10 news? They quoted BSL's ex wife - said she had been abused (specifically hit, smothered, sent to hospital, attacked at work) and that when she filed for divorce she also filed for a restraining order. Did not release her name I don't believe will try to find link later, it just aired. Pretty interesting...she must have left in the middle of the rape investigation...some point in 2000? That part was a bit unclear.

Filed for divorce after about a year - in 2000. WBRZ has their divorce papers.

so what did he do between the 26th and 31st if his truck was burned and he had not yet rented a car? this is the FIRST time i think he may have visited a friend

I believe it was burned on the 31st? Or am I mistaken.

These are my opinions in respose to what another poster wrote.

It dawns me on at this point three things:
1. This guy spent time at Central Louisiana State Hospital. For those who are not familiar with this hospital, it houses severely criminally insane folks. I personally visited their forensics unit. which housed at the time probably 20 adult men. I was told by the nurse in charge as I walked throuh the door: Do not lay your keys down. Charles will eat them. While I was visiting one patient put his fist through the door window because another patient had peaked through it and it set the patient off. Hannibal HAS NOTHING on these guys.

Where did you get this info that he was at Central State Hospital? Do you have something to back this statement up?
Do you have info stating that he spent time on the psychiatric unit rather than at Red River Addictions Complex or the LA Alcohol & Drug Rehab?

How many years ago did you visit there? Currently Central State Hospital has a total of 60 beds. http://new.dhh.louisiana.gov/index.cfm/newsroom/detail/2399

The criminally insane are housed at the East LA State Hospital in Greenwell Springs, LA until they are deemed competent to stand trial, not at Central State.

The reason I say this is because the kind of guy who spends time at that particular hospital is the kind of guy who would bump a girl off her bike and kill her, but he is not smart enough to cover his tracks this well by himself.

Here is an interesting except from an article from World Psychiatry that may surprise you:

Violence and Mental Illness:an Overview

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1525086/

Several general conclusions are supported by this brief overview. First, mental disorders are neither necessary, nor sufficient causes of violence. The major determinants of violence continue to be socio-demographic and socio-economic factors such as being young, male, and of lower socio-economic status.

Second, members of the public undoubtedly exaggerate both the strength of the relationship between major mental disorders and violence, as well as their own personal risk from the severely mentally ill. It is far more likely that people with a serious mental illness will be the victim of violence.

Third, substance abuse appears to be a major determinant of violence and this is true whether it occurs in the context of a concurrent mental illness or not. Those with substance disorders are major contributors to community violence, perhaps accounting for as much as a third of self-reported violent acts, and seven out of every 10 crimes of violence among mentally disordered offenders.

Someone was paying for all those appeals (4 to 5) when BSL was in prison. Lawyers are not cheap.

Quite often lawyers will work pro bono for those who are incarcerated. Or maybe his family paid for it. His Mom reminds me of someone who would love her son even if she didn't like the things he did because that is a commitment she made when she adopted him. Maybe he saved money he got from working to pay his lawyers.

Just because someone is mentally ill does not mean that all of their thought processes don't work correctly. Some have areas of their brain that work tremendously, almost as if to make up for those areas that don't. Or maybe you are giving BSL too much credit. Maybe he bought a Silverado because there were none available with a Z71 on it-which you can purchase seperately. Isaac Newton, Ludwig van Beethoven,Winston Churchill, Abraham Lincoln,Vincent Van Gogh, Leo Tolstoy,Charles Dickens,John Keats, Michelangelo,Bette Midler,Charles Schultz,Ernest Hemingway,Tennessee Williams,Peter Illyich Tchaikovsky are all now believed to have suffered some form of mental illness. http://www.mentalhealthministries.net/links_resources/other_resources/famouspeople.pdf

MOO-and I know many people will disagree with me but I believe mentally ill people, hospitalized or not, need empathy; our society needs to come to the realization that mentally ill people did not ask to be born that way. Any one of us could have pulled that straw and been the unlucky one. Just as a person born with Downs syndrome, or conjoined twins,or an infant with a heart defect didn't ask to be born that way. It could have been us.

I am not understanding what behavior you think someone was funding. Him having a 1991 car? or his truck? Most oilfield companies pay gas mileage so workers can actually use their own vehicle and utilize the check they get to pay for the vehicle.

I also think it is important to find the dates that those houses burned and match them up with the dates someone in that area went missing and was never found. I think he burns to get rid of evidence.

I have yet to decide if I think he sets fires due to poor impulse control and as a means to instant pleasure and gratification, to destroy evidence, as revenge or because of anger. Or because it gives him a sense of control.

Her father doesn't know any more than we do...

Or less....we know he used a rental car to get back to Lafayette (although maybe he was talking about how did BSL get from burned out car to rental car place without having to mention the rental car to protect the integrity of the case, as surely LE has asked the family to do).

I don't see how a truck that was on fire could be missed. I would think a blazing truck would have been reported by at least someone, right? I mean that had to be a pretty big blaze.

I think he bumped her on purpose and killed her within the hour. I think he was alone in the truck and upset by his g/friend's family's reaction to them getting married or whatever. I think the rejection and the pressure made him cave and brought out the worst in him. I think the cell phone records from that night will be very revealing as to who else he involved in this. It ain't over yet. Hang tight.

The first post from the brother in law was not until after noon on May 26th. He said the last day had been a s_ _ t storm in his wife's family because they had confronted her. So that eliminates the rejection reason for BSL to have grabbed Mickey because he already had the weekend before.
These guys don't need a reason anyway excpet that they have to get their needs met and to hell with everyone and everything else.

OT - Well sort of. Do they NOT screen callers on Nancy Grace before they let them on the air? Wow. Just wow. I do love how NG called him a freak. It was the way she said it that cracked me up. There was so much seething in her voice.

What did the caller say?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Anyone in BR just see the WBRZ 10 news? They quoted BSL's ex wife - said she had been abused (specifically hit, smothered, sent to hospital, attacked at work) and that when she filed for divorce she also filed for a restraining order. Did not release her name I don't believe will try to find link later, it just aired. Pretty interesting...she must have left in the middle of the rape investigation...some point in 2000? That part was a bit unclear.

Filed for divorce after about a year - in 2000. WBRZ has their divorce papers.

Thank God his current fiance's family interfered. They may have saved her a lot of misery.

There was a Gilcrease murder in Alexandria (about 30 minutes from house) on 06/10/2002. They have a sketch of the perp and I guess witnesses from the bar too. Anyone who cares to look -- I cant decide whether I think the sketch of the perp looks similar to him or not and I don't know when his date of incarceration started. i vaguely recall the details of this case and I think theperp killed and her and then ran her over and left her in a field.

BSL was in prison.

These are my opinions in respose to what another poster wrote.

Where did you get this info that he was at Central State Hospital? Do you have something to back this statement up?
Do you have info stating that he spent time on the psychiatric unit rather than at Red River Addictions Complex or the LA Alcohol & Drug Rehab?

How many years ago did you visit there? Currently Central State Hospital has a total of 60 beds. http://new.dhh.louisiana.gov/index.cfm/newsroom/detail/2399

The criminally insane are housed at the East LA State Hospital in Greenwell Springs, LA until they are deemed competent to stand trial, not at Central State.

Here is an interesting except from an article from World Psychiatry that may surprise you:

Violence and Mental Illness:an Overview

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1525086/

Several general conclusions are supported by this brief overview. First, mental disorders are neither necessary, nor sufficient causes of violence. The major determinants of violence continue to be socio-demographic and socio-economic factors such as being young, male, and of lower socio-economic status.

Second, members of the public undoubtedly exaggerate both the strength of the relationship between major mental disorders and violence, as well as their own personal risk from the severely mentally ill. It is far more likely that people with a serious mental illness will be the victim of violence.

Third, substance abuse appears to be a major determinant of violence and this is true whether it occurs in the context of a concurrent mental illness or not. Those with substance disorders are major contributors to community violence, perhaps accounting for as much as a third of self-reported violent acts, and seven out of every 10 crimes of violence among mentally disordered offenders.

Quite often lawyers will work pro bono for those who are incarcerated. Or maybe his family paid for it. His Mom reminds me of someone who would love her son even if she didn't like the things he did because that is a commitment she made when she adopted him. Maybe he saved money he got from working to pay his lawyers.

Just because someone is mentally ill does not mean that all of their thought processes don't work correctly. Some have areas of their brain that work tremendously, almost as if to make up for those areas that don't. Or maybe you are giving BSL too much credit. Maybe he bought a Silverado because there were none available with a Z71 on it-which you can purchase seperately. Isaac Newton, Ludwig van Beethoven,Winston Churchill, Abraham Lincoln,Vincent Van Gogh, Leo Tolstoy,Charles Dickens,John Keats, Michelangelo,Bette Midler,Charles Schultz,Ernest Hemingway,Tennessee Williams,Peter Illyich Tchaikovsky are all now believed to have suffered some form of mental illness. http://www.mentalhealthministries.net/links_resources/other_resources/famouspeople.pdf

MOO-and I know many people will disagree with me but I believe mentally ill people, hospitalized or not, need empathy; our society needs to come to the realization that mentally ill people did not ask to be born that way. Any one of us could have pulled that straw and been the unlucky one. Just as a person born with Downs syndrome, or conjoined twins,or an infant with a heart defect didn't ask to be born that way. It could have been us.

I am not understanding what behavior you think someone was funding. Him having a 1991 car? or his truck? Most oilfield companies pay gas mileage so workers can actually use their own vehicle and utilize the check they get to pay for the vehicle.

I have yet to decide if I think he sets fires due to poor impulse control and as a means to instant pleasure and gratification, to destroy evidence, as revenge or because of anger. Or because it gives him a sense of control.

Is there any way to find out if BSL was in the Camp Beauregard Youth Challenge program in Pineville? I think he was there rather than a mental hospital. He did not graduate from his high school.

The first post from the brother in law was not until after noon on May 26th. He said the last day had been a s_ _ t storm in his wife's family because they had confronted her. So that eliminates the rejection reason for BSL to have grabbed Mickey because he already had the weekend before.
These guys don't need a reason anyway excpet that they have to get their needs met and to hell with everyone and everything else.

Didn't he also say in those posts BSL was offshore for two more weeks..so it's possible he had just left to go "offshore" likely out of TX, but was actually just working in Houston? Dates/timelines don't fit. :notgood:

I think he bumped her on purpose and killed her within the hour. I think he was alone in the truck and upset by his g/friend's family's reaction to them getting married or whatever. I think the rejection and the pressure made him cave and brought out the worst in him. I think the cell phone records from that night will be very revealing as to who else he involved in this. It ain't over yet. Hang tight.

I don't think his girlfriends family knew about him being an RSO at the time Mickey was abducted. I believe they found out about his RSO status around the 25th and 26th, nearly a week later. Her family member started a thread about it on the afternoon of the 26th, and it seemed like they had just found out that he was a sex offender.

I don't think he needed a trigger like that to have the desire to rape and kill a girl. I think he felt that way routinely. JMO

Well, maybe it depends on the word "participation". Apparently you think it was 100% his planning, participation and cover of the crime and I think he had assistance. I can agree to disagree. Anyone else think he had help ..or do you think he worked 100% alone? Interesting question.

I think he may have had "help" in that they didn't know they were helping. Like a ride, etc. But I don't think he had help in perpetuating the kidnapping/murder.

i know it has happened in the past, but WHY would or does a perp go to the searches???

personally, i don't think BSL did. i think he seemed the type to want to be done with it. i don;t think he wanted to dwell on the murder, JMO

To move evidence/remains where it's already been searched
To direct searchers away from evidence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members