LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #35

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be great if we could find out when BSL arrived in the New Orleans Metro area. I find it very strange he chose Ochsner Jefferson Highway as his hospital of choice, unless that's where he was sent for Workers Comp related injuries in association with the job with the Gretna address. Why not choose Ochsner Kenner, the first hospital he'd reach off of I-10 once getting into the NOLA area? Or Tulane Lakeside, which he'd see from I-10, especially when getting off to go to Ochsner. They're both at the same exit from I-10--Causeway, but Tulane Lakeside would be right there.

I'm think it's most likely Mickey was dumped before NOLA, and very possibly even before the bike. But given his cross-Gulf State trek to cover things up, I'm not ruling out that he drove right through NOLA out of LA to Mississippi and/or Alabama and disposed of evidence (a body?) there, and hit NOLA and Ochsner on his way back.

Tulane-lakeside is a Women's and children's. I do not know if they still have a full emergency room. If he traveled from Laffy on 90 and took the river road from Luling, then the hospital he went to would be the best option. I am not sure where the hospital in Morgan City is, but, the next hopspitals I am aware of are Houma, Thibodeax and he would have to exit 90 and travel farther into the towns. If he would have crossed the bridge at Luling and gone onto connect to 10 he would have come to the former Kenner Regional now Oschner Kenner. He could have also not crossed the bridge and stayed on the westbank wich would bring him the other Oschner in question.

So, I am thinking he probably took 90 in and connected to Oscher via river road OR went to the lake and connected to Oschner via causeway (wich would have been round about because he still would have had to pass Kenner and East Jeff (if that hospital is still around)

Any locals want to weigh in. As I mentioned earlier, it has been a while and I could be mistaken here.

I've been mulling this over for some time now...

When traveling on I-10 from Lafayette towards BR/NO, there are several exits between Lafayette and Whiskey Bay.

1) Breaux Bridge...lots of gas stations, lots of lighted areas, lots of people.

2) Henderson...same as Breaux Bridge, but you CAN get to the levee quite easily from this exit.

3) Butte LaRose...there is a rest stop at this exit and this is where the Atchafalaya Basin begins. Right next to the rest stop is a narrow, swampy, densely wooded, lightly-traveled road several miles long that leads to the levee (and eventually to the teeny-weeny town of Catahoula where I grew up). Butte LaRose is the last exit before Whiskey Bay.

If I were an evil RSO traveling east on I-10 with a body inside my vehicle and a bike in the truck bed, which would I dispose of first, the bike or the body? Would I dispose of them in the same location?

...I might have to activate 'Team Cajun Nosey-Kazozy' and go check out the Butte LaRose road.

BBM: GREAT question.

I would speculate that it is extremely likely that BSL placed Mickey somewhere PRIOR to getting rid of her bike.

The reason why I think that is because if anyone seen him dumping the bike, then they might look in BSL's truck.

The recovery location for Mickey's bike is fairly visible to passerby, is it not?

Just can't see a perp disposing of 2 large pieces of evidence like that in the same location.

JMO

Tulane-lakeside is a Women's and children's. I do not know if they still have a full emergency room. If he traveled from Laffy on 90 and took the river road from Luling, then the hospital he went to would be the best option. I am not sure where the hospital in Morgan City is, but, the next hopspitals I am aware of are Houma, Thibodeax and he would have to exit 90 and travel farther into the towns. If he would have crossed the bridge at Luling and gone onto connect to 10 he would have come to the former Kenner Regional now Oschner Kenner. He could have also not crossed the bridge and stayed on the westbank wich would bring him the other Oschner in question.

So, I am thinking he probably took 90 in and connected to Oscher via river road OR went to the lake and connected to Oschner via causeway (wich would have been round about because he still would have had to pass Kenner and East Jeff (if that hospital is still around)

Any locals want to weigh in. As I mentioned earlier, it has been a while and I could be mistaken here.

Tulane-Lakeside has expansive women's and children's services, yes. But they are not a purely women's and children's hospital. They have an ER facility.

HWY 90 to NOLA he'd come in to the NOLA area 1 of 3 ways:
- Most likely, IMO: The Luling Bridge, which would put him at Ochsner Kenner, as you said.
- Third most likely, IMO: Huey P Long Bridge, which would put him closest to Ochsner Jeff Highway
- Second most likely, IMO: The Crescent City Connection, which would put him closest to Ochsner West Bank (if he stayed on the WB) or Tulane Downtown/LSU

I-10 to NOLA he'd hit Ochsner Kenner first. Tulane-Lakeside second. Ochsner Jeff Hwy 3rd, if exiting Causeway.

I was a local until very recently, and am very familiar with the healthcare situation in NOLA.

ETA: I put Huey P Long as the 3rd most likely from Hwy 90, IMO, as taking Hwy 90 into NOLA, you are pointed to New Orleans via the Luling Bridge and via The Crescent City Connection bridge. Where you'd get onto the Huey P Long bridge from Hwy 90 does not explicitly point you to New Orleans. You have to know about it. I think the fact that he ended up at Ochsner Jeff Hwy means he knows of the Jefferson (the city) area of the city pretty well and felt comfortable there. Or, he has past ties to NOLA, remembered Ochsner is a major hospital there, and like most people who've been out of NOLA for a while, didn't realize that "Ochsner" is now a system, and not one place, so he just went where he remembered.

Tulane-Lakeside has expansive women's and children's services, yes. But they are not a purely women's and children's hospital. They have an ER facility.

HWY 90 to NOLA he'd come in to the NOLA area 1 of 3 ways:
- Most likely, IMO: The Luling Bridge, which would put him at Ochsner Kenner, as you said.
- Third most likely, IMO: Huey P Long Bridge, which would put him closest to Ochsner Jeff Highway
- Second most likely, IMO: The Crescent City Connection, which would put him closest to Ochsner West Bank (if he stayed on the WB) or Tulane Downtown/LSU

I-10 to NOLA he'd hit Ochsner Kenner first. Tulane-Lakeside second. Ochsner Jeff Hwy 3rd, if exiting Causeway.

I was a local until very recently, and am very familiar with the healthcare situation in NOLA.
Unless he exited I-10 near Gramercy and followed River Rd. to Jefferson Hwy.

[ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Gramercy,+LA&daddr=Ochsner+Medical+Center,+Jefferson+Highway,+Jefferson,+LA&hl=en&ll=30.047699,-90.499878&spn=1.393172,1.766052&sll=30.047424,-90.689813&sspn=0.087075,0.110378&geocode=FcB8ygEd6y6Y-inLQ2BgmC4hhjGr98wFOzPSmg%3BFdgtyQEdhX2g-iFGTxCyZwr5DymBBPrpTaUghjFGTxCyZwr5Dw&oq=ochsner&mra=ls&t=h&z=9"]Gramercy, LA to Ochsner Medical Center, 1516 Jefferson Highway, Jefferson, LA 70121 - Google Maps[/ame]

I just called and reported the information.

Thanks, I know it probably wasn't easy.

Someguy, I hope you stay with us here at WS. We would all value your input and opinions.

ETA: Sorry for the late response, I'm just now getting caught up!

His offshore bag is large enough to carry a petite body in without anyone suspecting anything if seen. JS

There are bag checks. I doubt he would have chanced having Mickey's body in his bag.

I still find it hard to believe that such a narcissistic man (IMO) would consider scarring himself, particularly at a point when as far as he knew noone suspected him or was missing Mickey yet. I believe Mickey was smart and tough enough to fight back and inflict that damage. Also, maybe BSL had been drinking and wasn't as alert as he could have been at that hour.

He loves his narcissistic rear end and would do what he thought was necessary to protect it, IMO.

Re his emergency care.....wouldn't his company pay for health care as an
oil field worker. All he had to do was arrive at Ochsner, give his name and
his employer and his health insurance. They would check with his insurance company and send him to the back to be treated.

Gramercy, LA to Ochsner Medical Center, 1516 Jefferson Highway, Jefferson, LA 70121 - Google Maps

Yep, in which case he'd hit Ochsner Jefferson Hwy first after getting into the NOLA area. The only reason he'd do that, IMO, is if he was dumping something in the river or in the swampy land/ditches/etc. along there. Which I think is very possible.

Given that he was at Ochsner Jeff Hwy, someone may want to go take a look at this field (above Point B on the map): https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...f1JyrpLtp1w&oq=1516+Jefferson&t=h&mra=ls&z=16

It's unlike he'd leave her there, being right on the outskirts of a neighborhood, but it'd be an easy place to do it. No one goes back there.

ETA: For some reason the satellite views of that area say Copyright 2012, but I know that to be false. There are some definitive markings of that area now that have been there for a few years that are not in those images. The streetview images say Copyright 2007, and I think the satellite images (the ones up close) are from a similar time.

Re his emergency care.....wouldn't his company pay for health care as an
oil field worker. All he had to do was arrive at Ochsner, give his name and
his employer and his health insurance. They would check with his insurance company and send him to the back to be treated.

His employer might provide health insurance as a benefit (key word, might), but the only way the employer would cover actual services rendered are if they are in conjunction with a Workers Comp related injury, which this was not. Having health insurance as a benefit isn't the same as a company covering your health care services.

Gramercy, LA to Ochsner Medical Center, 1516 Jefferson Highway, Jefferson, LA 70121 - Google Maps

Thanks for the Map, Bessie.

This guy has covered a large geographical area, and after analyzing the Maps and known areas thus far, I am depressed. :(

BUT

I am really thinking that BSL would not have had the restraint to travel any great distance with Mickey in the truck, and unless he kept her alive for a while, I think he attacked her fairly close to the bike hit location, and he got rid of her body at the attack location or very close by.

I just don't see him driving around with her body in his truck.

So, I am sticking with a very close geographical range for the attack and, unfortunately, the murder of Mickey.

I am leaning towards an attack/murder location somewhere between Lafayette and BSL's house.

Why can't they just give this perp the "truth serum"? So we can finally get to the bottom of this madness...

If only it worked that way.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=what-is-truth-serum

"Ever since the 1920s, many judges, psychiatrists, and scientists have rejected the idea that there is a drug that can get memories out intact. They have claimed, instead, that it makes people feel like talking, but it also puts them in a state of extreme suggestibility: people will pick up on cues about what questioners want to hear and repeat that back."

Does anyone want to start a SAR thread for Mickey, and sleuth possible disposal locations via GPS co-ord's, similar to Hailey Dunn's?

I need a MAP to see ALL KNOWN LOCATIONS for BSL with dates, as per MSM.

I am going to work on that.

ETA: Okay, I started a SAR and MAP Thread for Mickey in The Parking Lot.

You must be a member of Websleuths to access it.

Anyone wishing to post regarding SAR and MAP's for Mickey's case, please post there also.

I will update it with all known Map's that I can find on the threads.

Mickey Shunick SAR and MAP Discussion Thread:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178672"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

I think his hairdresser said he was ready to go out to work around June 21st...did we ever determine the dates he would have gone prior to that time? If he returned a car June 4th, he could not have gone before June 5th and yet to go again around the 21st, it seems he would have just been getting back. I can't figure out a period when he could have been gone for 14 or so days between 5/20-6/20. Do we know if his shift IS 14 days at a time?

Thanks for the Map, Bessie.

This guy has covered a large geographical area, and after analyzing the Maps and known areas thus far, I am depressed. :(

BUT

I am really thinking that BSL would not have had the restraint to travel any great distance with Mickey in the truck, and unless he kept her alive for a while, I think he attacked her fairly close to the bike hit location, and he got rid of her body at the attack location or very close by.

I just don't see him driving around with her body in his truck.

So, I am sticking with a very close geographical range for the attack and, unfortunately, the murder of Mickey.

I am leaning towards an attack/murder location somewhere between Lafayette and BSL's house.

I agree with you. I think the bike may have been dropped off last. I don't think Mickie is far outside Lafayette. If LE knows what time he dumped the bike, it may provide clues to whether he had gone home first, etc...I am picturing a huge wall map at the LEA showing pings (hopefully) and various routes he could have taken. I think they know a lot by now, of what he did that night and where, and somewhere on that map, is Mickie. What worries me is that if he was injured, it may have been easier for him to use water as his "hiding" place for Mickie.

Yep, in which case he'd hit Ochsner Jefferson Hwy first after getting into the NOLA area. The only reason he'd do that, IMO, is if he was dumping something in the river or in the swampy land/ditches/etc. along there. Which I think is very possible.

Given that he was at Ochsner Jeff Hwy, someone may want to go take a look at this field (above Point B on the map): https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...f1JyrpLtp1w&oq=1516+Jefferson&t=h&mra=ls&z=16

It's unlike he'd leave her there, being right on the outskirts of a neighborhood, but it'd be an easy place to do it. No one goes back there.

ETA: For some reason the satellite views of that area say Copyright 2012, but I know that to be false. There are some definitive markings of that area now that have been there for a few years that are not in those images. The streetview images say Copyright 2007, and I think the satellite images (the ones up close) are from a similar time.

Earhart was sketchy. IMO, he got rid of any evidence before he crossed the bridge. There are so many isolated places along any route he took into the city. I wonder since he chose a hospital that is not the easiest to access, if he is familiar with that area.

Goodness, finally caught up reading - lots of good posts yall. Events released in past couple days are most interesting and cause me to believe that the onion is unpeeling. Law Enforcement checking the tips (suspected grave sites) shows they are hot on the tips they are receiving.

The whole emergency room incident, report of being mugged, with interview by LE, is mindboggling. So, he was mugged and wallet taken but he does not remember where it happened.. hummm. He was in NO visiting friends. Welp, even if LE did not get the "friend's name" at that time, surely by now LE has gotten a name from him and have checked it out. Lots of good posts about his attire, blood, etc when he presented at ER.

Another eye opening for me was the vast area of land mass covered between the where MS was taken, the ER event, the burned truck. There seem so many places that are possible.

Would like to know more about what happened/who seen/ etc in TX.

I am not clear on the pinging phones (his and hers) during the hours of 5/19 and when pinging stopped. I hope they have a lot more than we know.

As I posted before, WSers are on top of things and I believe that some posters (who have posted details and were urged to report to LE by WSers) have provided some valuable tips. I believe they (LE) has their guy. Now the need is to locate MS. Prayers it will be soon.

Does anyone want to start a SAR thread for Mickey, and sleuth possible disposal locations via GPS co-ord's, similar to Hailey Dunn's?

I need a MAP to see ALL KNOWN LOCATIONS for BSL with dates, as per MSM.

I am going to work on that.

Wondergirl, we have a thread set up to discuss possible search locations in the Timeline and Media forum

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178155"]LA LA - Mickey Shunick Search *Brainstorming Thread* - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Earhart was sketchy. IMO, he got rid of any evidence before he crossed the bridge. There are so many isolated places along any route he took into the city. I wonder since he chose a hospital that is not the easiest to access, if he is familiar with that area.
I don't believe BSL would have dumped Mickey's body on the way to the hospital (at least nowhere near it) as he was trying to set up an alibi. If her body was ever found near the hospital, it would look bad for him.

I am not clear on what time he arrived @ hospital.... The article said the same day Mickey went missing... Anybody know?

His employer might provide health insurance as a benefit (key word, might), but the only way the employer would cover actual services rendered are if they are in conjunction with a Workers Comp related injury, which this was not. Having health insurance as a benefit isn't the same as a company covering your health care services.

Was it confirmed that he works for Wood Group? And if so, is it Wood Group PSN (a multi-national company that also does biz in the US)? If so, their website has a section for Careers. If you click on the link for American jobs, it states that "Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance available in a choice of affordable and comprehensive plans."

I would guess he opted for that benefit in which case, yes, he'd be able to seek medical care for non-workers comp related industries. His name, SSN, company name, insurance provider's name would be sufficient to get treatment.

I know someone who works offshore for a different firm and he receives excellent benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jayc