LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #35

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm thinking they won't release anything until the trial. they don't want the defense to know how to and what to prepare for.

i too wonder about the advertiser's footage being viewed so late. it's possible that with less people on staff they put off reviewing their cameras? I don't think Bertrand was on Mickey's bike route, so maybe they didn't think it was THAT important. it's a shame, but you know how work is. everyone always has plenty to do, so it was probably a matter of who is going to find the time to review video all day. maybe the tech guy was on vacation for a week or so and this "chore" was added to his pile of work when he got back?? just speculating.

I'm pretty sure that all evidence must be released to the defense before the trial, but I'm not sure exactly how long before the trial they are required to. Many guilty suspects have had their convictions overturned due to a faulty prosecution withholding evidence.

I just think it is baffling about the advertiser however... Here they are, demanding all local businesses to review footage of that night. All the while they possess the "key" footage to BSL's arrest. Not to mention, how strenuous all the local media teams were on LE and our search efforts early on. I suppose that we should be thankful that they found the footage nonetheless.

Does anyone have an educated guess on about when LE will release some of their evidence? For example, how can they place BSL in WB? What evidence was recovered from the bike, surely the lab reports have been completed by now, right? What incriminating footage was recovered from The Advertiser's camera and how can they indentify his truck on City Hall's cameras? Also, does anyone have a clue why it would have taken The Advertiser so long to release their footage when they insisted that every business review their footage for that night so long ago? These are just a few of my questions about this whole ordeal.
I would imagine the forensics on that bike came back awhile ago,...I don't know. As for releasing video footage, this is upsetting to me. I remember Mickey's father talking about this. Because she went missing on a friday night/early saturday am, the weekend followed and business owners did not review any video til after the weekend.
In Mickey's father's words, "That gave whoever took her a two-day head start."

i'm thinking they won't release anything until the trial. they don't want the defense to know how to and what to prepare for.

i too wonder about the advertiser's footage being viewed so late. it's possible that with less people on staff they put off reviewing their cameras? I don't think Bertrand was on Mickey's bike route, so maybe they didn't think it was THAT important. it's a shame, but you know how work is. everyone always has plenty to do, so it was probably a matter of who is going to find the time to review video all day. maybe the tech guy was on vacation for a week or so and this "chore" was added to his pile of work when he got back?? just speculating.

I was not really too involved in the DWT discussions, so the footage part of the boards is a little harder for me to remember. I really need to do a refresher on those articles. Anyway, I wondered if the delay had something to do with a legal issue. LE had a timeframe they were looking for and most cameras you can turn/rewind it to the time you want to start at. I can't imagine that it would have taken anyone a LONG time. Now, to tie the truck all by itself from that night, trying to pinpoint just exactly what time he might have come through there would have taken a longer time. They could have been looking for identifying information and wanted to look more thoroughly and finally found what they needed.

I am just thankful those cameras were all there. Regardless of anything, the confusion of the cars/trucks, it did give them a starting point. Which helped bring us to today, with a suspect arrested for it.

Kelly

The prosecution is actually required to give any evidence they have over to the defense prior to trial.

Hmm... I was thinking it's the time he was attacked?
Begin time 3:00 End time 3:30?
Looks like it might have been typed up on 5/20/2012 at 7:07pm?
That's true, but the time of BSL's arrival at Ochsner doesn't jive with the news reports that said he "showed up" around 11pm.

10:14 -- JPSO gets the call
10:16 -- Call is dispatched to the responding officer, JP146
10:51 -- JP146 advises JP184 that BSL is uncooperative

10:16-10:51 -- JP146 arrives at Ochsner. Security personnel tell him NOPD has just finished up with BSL. During the same time frame, BSL tells the officer NOPD interviewed him for two hours. That puts NOPD there at approximately 8:15-8:45. BSL would have arrived at Ochsner no later than about 8:00 p.m. That's three hours earlier that what the media reported.

Now if we could only get a copy of the NOPD report.

http://klfy.images.worldnow.com/images/incoming/JPSOCrimeReport.pdf

The more I think about it I wonder if he went straight to TX from the ER? ~and didn't return until he rented the car to drive back in??
1 cop could have run his tag pulled him over and seen the interior
He filed to have his RSO removed... he was hoping that would happen before he ever had to explain that his truck was stolen IN TX! and that he'd bought a new one and not advised them.
Was trying to date a hair dresser in TX??? The day he got back!
Sure doesn't sound like he was headed home anytime soon... he was probably planning on shacking up/hiding out with her for awhile... he knew LE was hot on his tail! And he VERIFIED that she didn't have a "boyfriend" ~ he was hatching plans with all the calls and messages to her.

“He said, ‘I’ll call you in two weeks when I get back in. Maybe we can do something.’ Well, the day he was expected to come back was the day he got arrested.”

“He sat in my chair and he was like, ‘have you and that guy ever tried working it out?’ I said, ‘No.’ He said well I find it very funny a pretty girl like you is still single and he kept going on and on and on.”
http://www.theind.com/news/10922-crowley-hairdresser-lavergne-had-knife-wound-on-neck

I know neighbors did see him at his home at some point... but I bet it was only when he had the red car and or silver truck.
He went to church for an alibi as well IMO... wonder if he was driving the red car then???

the hairdresser was at the salon of the Crowley, LA Wal-Mart. Crowley is near Rayne - West of his home in Churchpoint/Swords/Latwell

I thought about this a while back but have not come across any other missing persons in the area.

What geographical radius for "area" are you using, and what dates, because the person may not have been reported missing (if at all), until sometime after May 19th?

No, yeah, I got that. What confuses me is why NOPD was there first? JPSO has always been way more responsive and speedy in dealing with incidents. NOPD, not so much.

So, were they called first? Were they already there? Was JPSO tied up elsewhere? Why was there a 2 hour time frame in which NOPD was interviewing BSL, and JPSO wasn't even on Ochsner property yet?
Maybe because something BSL said led the hospital staff to believe he had been assaulted in Orleans Parish. Just a guess.

May 26, 2012: BSL reports his truck as stolen in Montgomery County, TX.

May 31, 2012: BSL’s truck is found burned in San Jacinto County, TX.

May 31, 2012: BSL files motion to be removed from the sex offender registry. Hearing is scheduled for August 9th.

May 31, 2012, 9:51 a.m.: BSL rents a red Chevrolet Aveo in Spring, TX, through an insurance claim on said stolen truck.

BSL did an AWFUL lot of things on on May 31, 2012.

Is there a sticky for the known dates and facts to date?

ETA: Megsy's Timeline:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8129931&postcount=64"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - LA LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 * Timeline & Media Links ONLY *[/ame]

What geographical radius for "area" are you using, and what dates, because the person may not have been reported missing (if at all), until sometime after May 19th?

This could fit with the theory out there that he had a helper in all this. Someone who had a conscience and didn't realize til too late and tried to change the outcome. It could be anyone from anywhere he travels too.

But, someone/something sure stabbed him.

Kelly

So the report from the hospital stated that he had already explained the situation to the NOPD for two hours. So that puts him at the hospital as early as 9pm.

Also, would he not have needed a license to rent a car? Though 10 days later he could have already received a new license. In NC we are issued a paper showing we have applied for a new license and then we receive in the mail in about 10 days.

I hope that Mickey is found soon.

Kelly

All you have to do is walk into DMV here, repoert your license lost/stolen (he had the police report as the proof) and be issued a new one right then & there. We don't have paper ones, only plastic with your pic. I washed mine after I got the renewal sticker on it and took the washed one to the DMV with me. They could not issue a new sticker but I got a new license for $10

No, yeah, I got that. What confuses me is why NOPD was there first? JPSO has always been way more responsive and speedy in dealing with incidents. NOPD, not so much.

So, were they called first? Were they already there? Was JPSO tied up elsewhere? Why was there a 2 hour time frame in which NOPD was interviewing BSL, and JPSO wasn't even on Ochsner property yet?

I think that it is important to note that (according to the report) BSL was the one who said he was interviewed for 2 hours... not hospital staff or NOPD. I can't trust it especially considering he was trying to be evasive about where he was attacked.

BSL did an AWFUL lot of things on on May 31, 2012.

Is there a sticky for the known dates and facts to date?

I live in Lake Charles and it takes about 3 1/2 hours to get to Spring (North Houston). Most courthouses open at 9 a.m., maybe it was dropped off the day before and recorded on 5/31. I know if you drop off something here after 4, it won't be recorded until the next day.

just a thought, was there any speculation of MS carrying a knife, a little switchblade maybe!? I remember the pipe was never confirmed, her friends confirmed the pepper-spray.

I always carry pepper spray and a knife. If I get a bad feeling or see something suspicious...i take it out of my purse and prepare myself (as much as one can). Just wondering if the knife wound (since it appears small) could be that of a personal knife (not a kitchen knife, etc)?! Not a big knife expert lol so I was just wondering what everyone though. MS Seems like she would of fought at the scene of the accident (or whatever it was) IMO and not wait for an opportunity to strike later.

The 15:00 - 15:30 is when the (alleged) incident they were taking the report on occurred. BSL stated he was attacked at 3PM.

You beat me to it. The alleged knife attack was between 3 pm and 3.30 pm in the police report. I like how his attacker is described as bald, even though he was supposedly wearing a black hat. :waitasec:

It seems like he must have killed or at least incapacitated Mickey by the time he disposed of her bike at Whiskey Bay. Whether he walked the bike down under the bridge and threw it in, which seems the most likely scenario given the pics chicken fried posted, or he just threw the bike off of the bridge, he would have had to have gotten out of the truck. It seems unlikely he could have done that with an alive and pissed off Mickey in the truck.

I hope they find her. This case is so, so sad=(

A little info about Whiskey Bay:

On I-10, there is an exit at Whiskey Bay...if you take the exit, you can get to a large parking area and a boat landing, both of which are located directly beneath I-10. I would think that he took the exit and parked his vehicle and THEN disposed of the bike. The bike was located on/in a pile of junk.

I think that it is important to note that (according to the report) BSL was the one who said he was interviewed for 2 hours... not hospital staff or NOPD. I can't trust it especially considering he was trying to be evasive about where he was attacked.

Good point.

Unless the police release to us what time he got to Ochsner, we're not going to know. Medical Records aren't like police reports. If his MRs get leaked (any bit of info from it), someone is losing their job immediately in a best case scenario.

The more I read and the more I think about it, I don't believe BSL would risk taking Mickey to his home. I don't think he would make his home the crime scene. Way too much evidence to take care of. This guy does not want to go back to jail! He knew it would be the first place LE would look if if he should become a suspect.

I think he got the h--- out of the area immediately after the abduction. The WB stop is the first remote exit once you leave Lafayette headed west. Most locals are familiar with the exit and State Hwy 975, the gravel road which runs north from the exit to Hwy 190 at Krotz Springs. The Sherburne WLM area covers over 44,000 acres. It's used by hunters, fisherman, campers, birdwatchers, etc. It would be deserted at that time of the morning. I've posted an aerial shot so you can see the terrain and how remote it is.

A - WB Exit Hwy 975 and I-10
B - near Krotz Springs 975 and 190
c - Lawtell, NE of his home

http://binged.it/MqLwAf

I don't know why the bike was dropped where it was. But I can't imagine BSL driving to NO, much less TX days later, with Mickey in the truck. Not after having been right there at the edge of such a vast area of land where his activities could go undetected. Maybe he did go home before heading to NO to stage the event that would explain stab wounds. If so, he could've driven north to Hwy 190, then west to home. If he travelled from his home to NO, he would have likely taken Hwy 190 to BR, then cut down to I-10.

Still, where was he in the hours before going to ER? How did he get from his burning truck in SJ County to Spring where he rented a car and where was he in that time period between the two? Hopefully we'll get some answers.

Most importantly, I hope we can bring Mickey home.

Good thinking!

However, the exit right BEFORE Whiskey Bay, the Butte LaRose exit, will take you to a very heavily wooded, very desolate road.

So, now we know that BSL went into the New Orleans Hospital at 11 pm on May 19th, to report his wounds.

Do any of the locals know if KATC was the first one to report that Mickey was missing, at 9:27 pm, or were there other reports earlier? Would you consider this to be a generally accepted time as to when the news of Mickey being missing hit the mainstream? Makes sense to me, if her parents reported her missing at 6:30 pm on May 19th.

Could he have heard the news alert and driven straight to the hospital, in an attempt to show he was far away from his home and Lafayette on the 19th?

May 19, 2012, 9:27 p.m.: KATC first reports on their website that LPD is looking for MS.

May 19, 2012, 11:00 pm: Brandon Lavergne goes to Oschner Hospital on Jefferson Highway around 11:00 pm to report wounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Webster23