LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #37

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just catching up and wanted to share something I was thinking about. To help find the exact spot where the perp hit her bicycle (if it was hit by him in his truck).....I got to thinking it is much easier to hit someone after both th bicycle and the truck were stopped at either a stop light or stop sign or RR crossing when train is passing. The reason being...is I just can't see the truck trying to fly down the road at full speed chasing her while she was also going at full speed. I suppose he could have gradually tried to pass her, and without her knowing, he then swerved and knocked into her, but I think the most likely + EASIEST way for him to hit her would have been immediately after they both were stopped for some reason, and then as they both pulled away, he would have an easy way to "clip her" and knock her down. So, if this assumption is true, then this is how it could help LE.....

Concentrate on areas that are known where they both may have had to stop at the same place and RE-LOOK for more evidence in those areas only.

ALSO. LE can carefully check the rear tire rim damage for the ANGLE of impact of the vehicle, and maybe limit which corner they both may have been at. The damage may show that only either a left turn or a right turn should have caused that damage, and thus, maybe eliminate which corner or stopping point would be most likely on her route.

Anyway, just wanted to share this, in case LE needs to gather more evidence that may still be out there to help convict.

I'm praying that LE already has all the evidence they already need for a conviction. Praying the grand jury does a good job today.

Hey Steph!

:wagon:

Hi All. New on the boards, but have been lurking for some time.

I know we are way past some of the 1st details of the case but a lot about some of the earliest information is what is sticking with me the most.

Throwing in my 2 cents, I really don't feel like LE know his whereabouts due to cell phone pings. If he was smart enough to turn off hers, one can only assume he would have turned his off as well, especially if he was trolling as LE suspect.Which leaves GPS or witnesses.

One thing that really bothers me about the whole case is the abduction. Being as BSL had to not only get Mickey in the truck but also her bike, would leave one to suspect that she was maybe knocked unconscious when he hit her? To me that doesn't make sense if his main reason for abducting her was for his RSO reasons.

Charlie Shunick has be quoted on saying that Mickey would never accept a ride from someone she didn't know, but in all honesty this is what makes most sense. Even with it being a desolate area. I think if there were no bike involved I would feel differently about the situation.

Also I have seen posts on here indicating that LE were only conducting searches in the local area? Has this been printed or stated as fact or was that the assumption since that's where TES is at the moment?

Being about Brandon's age and living just around the corner from him (a little further from Lafayette) I don't think it's unusual at all for him to hang out in Lafayette, honestly. Someone mentioned that it would make more sense for him to visit the coffee shop in Eunice than Lafayette and I have to respectfully disagree. I live in Eunice and can't tell you the last time I've been to their coffee shop although I go to the ones in Lafayette fairly often. Atmosphere id totally different. There is just nothing for young people to do around here. Most of the college by here head to Lafayette on weekends. So do their moms to go shopping.

Opelousas isn't a bad place to live but I'd definitely make the 20 minute drive to Lafayette to hang out, go out to eat, catch a movie, visit with friends, etc. I nearly always do unless I'm on my lunch break. There are a few bars around here but the atmosphere is much different than those in Lafayette. I wouldn't go to any of them, that's for sure. Just my two cents.

Buying a car in Lafayette... I agree that was weird but I bet he couldn't find one that he wanted in Opelousas. A used one very similar to his other truck that burned? I'm car shopping now for a specific vehicle and haven't found anything close to what I want I'm Opelousas. Lafayette has much more selection.

I agree inasmuch as it's not an irregular thing to do normally, but if I had just committed a crime such as the ones BSL has been charged with, I definitely would want to put distance between myself and the area in which I committed said crimes.

Hi All. New on the boards, but have been lurking for some time.

I know we are way past some of the 1st details of the case but a lot about some of the earliest information is what is sticking with me the most.

Throwing in my 2 cents, I really don't feel like LE know his whereabouts due to cell phone pings. If he was smart enough to turn off hers, one can only assume he would have turned his off as well, especially if he was trolling as LE suspect.Which leaves GPS or witnesses.

One thing that really bothers me about the whole case is the abduction. Being as BSL had to not only get Mickey in the truck but also her bike, would leave one to suspect that she was maybe knocked unconscious when he hit her? To me that doesn't make sense if his main reason for abducting her was for his RSO reasons.

Charlie Shunick has be quoted on saying that Mickey would never accept a ride from someone she didn't know, but in all honesty this is what makes most sense. Even with it being a desolate area. I think if there were no bike involved I would feel differently about the situation.

Also I have seen posts on here indicating that LE were only conducting searches in the local area? Has this been printed or stated as fact or was that the assumption since that's where TES is at the moment?

Welcome, Steph85...

We have discussed the bike bump & grab before. This indicates premeditation & preplanning, imo. Vehicle/bike accidents are common place.
Up until the time BSL made the actual assault on Mickey Schunick, if witnessed. The only thing BSL could be charged with by police was an auto accident. He could have aborted the mission at any time before the assault.

Imo, BSL, was/is very methodical/calculating/creative/manipulative..

Thanks for the welcomes - yes his defense counsel wants on the docket asap. Looks bad for him if his lawyers are already filing the pre-trial motions before the GJ even makes a decision.

I don't think that's an accurate assumption at all. Instituting a proceeding sets off a wide variety of deadlines, therefore, pleadings have to be filed within certain dates to fully represent a client's best interest. Unless an Order is entered staying a matter, you have to go full speed ahead in this profession and keep up with those deadlines. Malpractice if you do not, not to mention the damage to the defendant and his right to a fair trial.

I wouldn't read anything into it at all - unless it's a motion to dismiss the the charges, in which case that would indicate to the defense the prosecution's evidence is too weak to sustain a case against the defendant.

How can 2nd degree be right? Any death that occurs as a result of kidnapping is 1st-degree, isn't it? Doesn't matter what the intent was. I think there was an error in reporting. JMO

What's the difference between 1st degree and 2nd degree murder?

Degrees of murder in the United States

States have adopted several different schemes for classifying murders by degree. The most common separates murder into two degrees, and treats voluntary and involuntary manslaughter as separate crimes that do not constitute murder.
First degree murder is any murder that is willful and premeditated. Felony murder is typically first degree.[5]
Second degree murder is a murder that is not premeditated or planned in advance.[6]

Voluntary manslaughter sometimes called a "Heat of Passion" murder, is any intentional killing that involved no prior intent to kill, and which was committed under such circumstances that would "cause a reasonable person to become emotionally or mentally disturbed." Both this and second degree murder are committed on the spot, but the two differ in the magnitude of the circumstances surrounding the crime. For example, a bar fight that results in death would ordinarily constitute second degree murder. If that same bar fight stemmed from a discovery of infidelity, however, it may be mitigated to voluntary manslaughter.[7]

Involuntary manslaughter stems from a lack of intention to cause death but involving an intentional, or negligent, act leading to death. A drunk driving-related death is typically involuntary manslaughter. Note that the "unintentional" element here refers to the lack of intent to bring about the death. All three crimes above feature an intent to kill, whereas involuntary manslaughter is "unintentional," because the killer did not intend for a death to result from his intentional actions. If there is a presence of intention it relates only to the intent to cause a violent act which brings about the death, but not an intention to bring about the death itself. [8]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_(United_States_law)

ETA: Adding this legal website that is specific to Louisiana for definitions and sentencing.
http://thomasvalonzo.com/blog/2011/08/louisiana-homicide-laws-–-first-degree-and-second-degree-murder/

Honestly I'm a bit confused about 1/2 degree murder. Depending on the case it seems like it could be either, but I hope it's 1st degree and it was just a typo. About 6 and half hours till the grand jury:)

There are other "true investigative journalists" in the country and in Lafayette, LA. But some of us do not publish information from unnamed/anonymous sources. Our company's ethics policy does not allow it. The Daily Advertiser has heard lots of information about this case, too. But if a source is not willing to go on the record with it or we cannot obtain a document to back up the claim, we cannot and will not publish it.

I understand you are a reporter, and I don't want to hurt your feelings, but if there is any investigative reporting going on at the Advertiser, they do an excellent job of hiding it. If it wasn't for reprints of AP items, the whole paper could easily fit onto two pages.

Hubby and I do subscribe to the paper, but that is ONLY because I enjoy doing the little crossword every morning.

I believe there may be another video - I remember hearing "crime scene". In fact, I remember the individual being interviewed being on the left side of the picture instead of the right. I will try to find it to confirm what I recall seeing & hearing.

ETA: I believe it was a different news station.

I believe the St. Landry LE did say the trailer was a major crime scene, but the guys who conducted the search (Laffy LE) were careful to say only that they were processing the search as though it were a major crime scene.

Guidry just misspoke, IMO.

Honestly I'm a bit confused about 1/2 degree murder. Depending on the case it seems like it could be either, but I hope it's 1st degree and it was just a typo. About 6 and half hours till the grand jury:)

I edited my post to add a website specific to Louisiana - check it out, it might answer your questions.

eta: ...and I agree with your assessment about either way (depending on what can be proved).

Has LE tried to bargin with him to get him to tell him where Mickey is?

Welcome, Steph85...

We have discussed the bike bump & grab before. This indicates premeditation & preplanning, imo. Vehicle/bike accidents are common place.
Up until the time BSL made the actual assault on Mickey Schunick, if witnessed. The only thing BSL could be charged with by police was an auto accident. He could have aborted the mission at any time before the assault.

Imo, BSL, was/is very methodical/calculating/creative/manipulative..

Absolutely agree. I've read many opinions that state otherwise. I think he knew what he was going to do that night had the right opportunity came along. Mickey unfortunately was that opportunity. I think BSL knew a dumping spot but probably not a thought out place to dump the bike which is why the bike was found a lot sooner. I also think his all over the map distancefactor just proves all of the calculation even further.

Has LE tried to bargin with him to get him to tell him where Mickey is?

Hey Jennifer & Welcome to WS!:welcome5:

My understanding is that since he asked for a lawyer, LE cannot interview him unless he asks to speak with them.

Someone please correct me if I have this wrong.

What exactly is CajunNet?

It was watched religiously there for a while :lol:

BTW, I wanted to tell you the other day but I was sick in bed and on my phone and it was too hard to type - so I was mostly reading.

BUT. I remember you saying about how you feared that you posting here prompted reporters to pull the police report out of New Orleans. And I wanted you to know that I had heard about his visit to Oschners at least two days before you posted here, if not more, through the CajunNet™. So don't beat yourself up. Word was already on the street.

I appreciate you posting here with us. :)

Thanks Nola:) now I understand lol. And bsl would have deferently be 1st degree after reading that. Also another interesting OT note, drug dealers for Iv use get second degree murder omg we don't have that here! I wish we did, I believe they are the "silent murders". Our law system in Australia is totally different. We are very lenient, we don't have the death penalty, even though people are sentenced to life most are let out after about 15 years on a good behaviour, drug dealers barely do any time (unless they are big time ones) it can be very frustrating, I've often watched crime shows with my mum and our mouths will drop that people go to prison for life there for armed robbery. A girl I went to primary(elementary) school got heavily into drugs and did an armed robbery (note it wasn't her first offence) and walked free did no time whatsoever!

Degrees of murder in the United States

States have adopted several different schemes for classifying murders by degree. The most common separates murder into two degrees, and treats voluntary and involuntary manslaughter as separate crimes that do not constitute murder.
First degree murder is any murder that is willful and premeditated. Felony murder is typically first degree.[5]
Second degree murder is a murder that is not premeditated or planned in advance.[6]

Voluntary manslaughter sometimes called a "Heat of Passion" murder, is any intentional killing that involved no prior intent to kill, and which was committed under such circumstances that would "cause a reasonable person to become emotionally or mentally disturbed." Both this and second degree murder are committed on the spot, but the two differ in the magnitude of the circumstances surrounding the crime. For example, a bar fight that results in death would ordinarily constitute second degree murder. If that same bar fight stemmed from a discovery of infidelity, however, it may be mitigated to voluntary manslaughter.[7]

Involuntary manslaughter stems from a lack of intention to cause death but involving an intentional, or negligent, act leading to death. A drunk driving-related death is typically involuntary manslaughter. Note that the "unintentional" element here refers to the lack of intent to bring about the death. All three crimes above feature an intent to kill, whereas involuntary manslaughter is "unintentional," because the killer did not intend for a death to result from his intentional actions. If there is a presence of intention it relates only to the intent to cause a violent act which brings about the death, but not an intention to bring about the death itself. [8]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_(United_States_law)

ETA: Adding this legal website that is specific to Louisiana for definitions and sentencing.
http://thomasvalonzo.com/blog/2011/08/louisiana-homicide-laws-–-first-degree-and-second-degree-murder/

Based on your link specific to Louisiana: Definitely 1st degree and nothing less.
The first few lines of the definition capture all that is needed in this case for 1st Degree. If I were a juror, I would understand it and so would non-educated jurors.

He probably made a lot of calls to numerous dealerships in order to locate a truck as close to identical as possible to the one he disposed of. He was very likely desperate to get a replacement and Don's Wholesale (a used care dealer) must have had one on the lot.

BSL, may have thought he was home free at this point causing him to feel very brazen.. Very proud of himself at his calculating creativity and wit to out smart the police.

The pattern of jurisdictional linkage blindness to eliminate evidence illustrates his cunning deviant behavior, imo..

In his mind, he had successfully duped two detectives at the NOLO hospital with his clever mugging/stabbing ruse, passed his quarterly RSO interview unscaved, destroyed his DWT/with incriminating forensics evidence, duped TX investigators with his stolen DWT ruse, placed her remains in a well hidden location, and now he has an insurance check for a new vehicle replacement.

'In his mind', to add icing on the cake. What would be better for his ego than to taunt investigators, and verify his superior prowess, than to purchase the identical DWT, in the same location, and in the same police jurisdiction as the original crime occurred?..

"Imo, the only factor that BSL did not consider in this equation was that good always triumphs over evil"..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DownlowDelivery