LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #39

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My fav word as of late in these threads is WTFery. That's all! Keep sleuthing and let's find Mickey!

That's the $64,000 question.

What did they have in '08 in the Pate grand jury, and what added piece in '12 changes it from murder two to murder one?

Had to have been in BSL's home.
I can't draw any other reasonable conclusion, unless the D.A. thinks that proving the Shunick case will establish that he's a killer, adding enough guilt to make the Pate charge stick this time.

on the two possibilities above
: I have to think, with what we know at this point, EITHER could be true.

Where as it clearly stated? Why you'll you, a local, take Devalcourt? You are attacking & abducting a young woman who is fighting for her life. You are from a small town near Lafayette. You do not have the native's familiarity w/ the streets. You're in a panic. Are you thinking...let me see, what's the most tortuous route to Swords? Aaah, Cajundome to Devalcourt, behind the LSU hospital, before, what's that, the Abdalla building, it's dark, can I see the street sign? Ok, cajundome to Devalcourt to Bertrand to I-10 to??? Right to I-49 or continue down past I-10 to the dead end T?? Why go to Bertrand when University is a more direct route for a person just attacking & abducting a victim when the perp lives in Swords?
Who ever said the pic was from the Advertiser cameras? IMO I don't see that as a route a panicked perp would take.

What picture are you referring to? I've been trying to figure that out. LE said they got footage from the Advertiser. They looked at it early and then went and took it later.

Cajundome to Congress to Bertrand. A direct way to head north while NOT heading back toward the area he came from while following her. Maybe he wanted to take the back roads, and not take I-49. Maybe he didn't want to take University because maybe he was on it earlier? Who ever said he took Devalcourt??? Bertrand runs right in front of the building. It's on the corner.

And he hung out in Lafayette plenty of times, I guarantee. I bet he knew the way home pretty well.

My basic misunderstanding of where you're coming from is why you're disputing LE that they had him on camera at the Advertiser. So you are saying that LE is not telling the truth that they have him on the Advertiser footage?

OK, got to go. Late meeting someone. I'll check back later.

Just a couple of random things I've been wondering about that aren't exactly tied to anything in particular. I've been playing catch up as well as reading older threads to compare what we knew then and now with what has been said by LE and others. Not particularly helpful, but definitely interesting, ya know?

Anyway, I saw mention of MS having a box cutter in her possession. Has that ever been verified? I could have sworn I read BW disputing that, that he didn't know of anything like that being carried by her. Is this one of those things that started as rumor and "became" truth?

Also, I was thinking about the videos that slowlybutshelley and I made back at the end of May of Mickey's possible routes, and how that relates to the video that the Daily Advertiser had. I saw someone ask how BSL could have gotten from St Landry Street to Bertrand (in front of the DA office) and from there to the Interstate, and it got me thinking that I inadvertently may have driven the same route -- from the St Landry Street extension to Coliseum Blvd to Souvenir Gate Rd to Cajundome Blvd to West Congress Street to Bertrand. I just rewatched the second video to make sure I was remembering the drive right. It also led me to thinking about the fact that I can't remember if LE narrowed down the area that whatever happened happened in -- I was thinking it was the area between Dean Street and Coliseum Road, where there's very little light, but is that wishful thinking on my part?

I know, I know, this is old old stuff that no one is probably interested in reading, so sorry. It was just something that was nibbling at the back of my mind, though. :)

yes. there was talk of the printing building area being a likely spot too. that whole L shape st. landry and coliseum make seems like a likely spot to commit such an evil horrible crime. :(

http://goo.gl/maps/ngvjv

I disagree CF. I don't remember it clearly being stated by LE that the pic was from the Advertiser, & not from a business on University. Remember the time stamp on the pic??

There's both, actually. The pic of the cleared DWT and hooptie were from the Louisiana Digital building (forgot which business had the camera but it's in that strip that LD is in), on University, but there was footage (unreleased) that came from the Daily Advertiser. It came much later -- I remember the disbelief that people had when it became known that yes, there was more footage LE now had.

The published stills are not from the Advertiser. LPD stated they picked up 3.5 hours of video the day of the arrest. Nothing from the advertiser video has been released. Yet. They're high & angle down right?

That's the $64,000 question.

What did they have in '08 in the Pate grand jury, and what added piece in '12 changes it from murder two to murder one?

Had to have been in BSL's home. I can't draw any other reasonable conclusion, unless the D.A. thinks that proving the Shunick case will establish that he's a killer, adding enough guilt to make the Pate charge stick this time.
Maybe she had been holding back some info???
her husband died last year. She has a young daughter.
When BSL got arrested she might have decided she is
tired of living in fear???

I'd think the death of a spouse would change the way
she looked at the world to some extent.
All ~moo

Don't ever post when you're tired. Spelling & syntax.
I disagree CF. I don't remember it clearly being stated by LE that the pic was from the Advertiser, & not from a business on University. Remember the time stamp on the pic??

I don't know what photo you're talking about, but you're confusing the heck out of me.

LE got footage of his truck from the Daily Advertiser, on the corner of Bertrand and Devalcourt. LE said it, I have no reason to doubt, it, and so I'm standing on it. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, but honestly, I can't even figure out what you're saying/
Gotta go.

:confused:

He would have been the most stupid criminal ever if he drove his truck to Texas to torch it, and didnt bother to remove the license plate first. JMO

Well you would think so, but it was going to get found out soon enough anyway when he filed a claim with his insurance. He had to file a police report first, so it was known who the truck belonged to. Then give that to the insurance company. I'm not sure what the VIN plates are made of these days, but it might of survived the fire intact and he could be traced to the truck also. JMO

Someone asked earlier how we know that BSL's finger was injured. The Independent article has been shared, but also Someguy posted that BSL's finger was almost cut off days before we saw the news report.

My take is BL told Someguy his finger had almost been cut off.SG never said he saw BLs injured finger. BL also told police he was mugged at 3PM at a gas station in NO. I don't believe either of his stories.

I still don't know if it is true if his finger was almost cut off.

I suspect he may have had damage to his tendons from his hand wounds.

http://www.eatonhand.com/hw/hw012.htm

Perhaps the change to murder one for Lisa has to do with uncovering a likely motive? As opposed to some other less premeditated kind of murder?

I am wondering what they had in 2008; it could not have been much at all, if the GJ wouldn't go for it. Kind of surprising they tried to get the indictment.

Also wondering, if anyone knows...I guess this indictment phase does not happen in every state? I don't recall the suspect in Sierra's case going thru this GJ process, unless I missed it.

The published stills are not from the Advertiser. LPD stated they picked up 3.5 hours of video the day of the arrest. Nothing from the advertiser video has been released. Yet. They're high & angle down right?
Yes...the still was time stamped @ 0300 +- don't know how many minutes.
Dont know what happened to stills, but the Devalcourt route makes no sense if you're in a panic & not familiar w/ Lafayette streets. Devalcourt is not a regular route. BSL is from Swords, not Lafayette. I didn't even think the route made sense. I asked my hubs, a native, about it & he said 'huh?? Why take Devalcourt?' So I'm asking, why??
Why not Congress or Eraste Landry to University?? I've just never understood that route, & I don't remember anyone stating that the still was positively from the Advertiser. Even the parking lot looks different..jmo

It is not necessarily anyone related to the hospital. That would violate HIPAA regulations
Could be hotel workers, say front desk, maid ,landscaper, waitress or pool man. (for instance) FWIW.
moo

ohhhhh. :crazy:

i was thinking that txlam worked at the Texas hospital and was saying that his story there was different than the got knifed in NOLA at an unknown gas station in an unknown location - the story at Ochsner. so he or she was saying that his story was different at different places - not necessarily just the hospitals?

Yes...the still was time stamped @ 0300 +- don't know how many minutes.
Dont know what happened to stills, but the Devalcourt route makes no sense if you're in a panic & not familiar w/ Lafayette streets. Devalcourt is not a regular route. BSL is from Swords, not Lafayette. I didn't even think the route made sense. I asked my hubs, a native, about it & he said 'huh?? Why take Devalcourt?' So I'm asking, why??
Why not Congress or Eraste Landry to University?? I've just never understood that route, & I don't remember anyone stating that the still was positively from the Advertiser. Even the parking lot looks different..jmo

I'm not local so I don't know what makes sense. But to get to I-10 leaving town, you'd go right past the Advertiser, right? That was the strange part, they asked for up to 4AM from the Advertiser video.

BringMickeyHome♥;8192147 said:
Every time that I start typing something...my head just thinks, "Lord, please let us find Mickey today"!

I have been so far behind +(my computer keeps overheating and turning off) I haven't logged in to add thanks to all the posts that I've wanted to, but I just had to log in to thank you for having Mickey's beautiful, shining, smiling face as your avatar. Seeing her brings me back to the main reason I have been following, and sluthing. Finding Mickey and getting some sort of closure for her family.

So glad that there is a suspect in custody and that at least one other tragedy could possibly be solved, maybe more. Sorry I haven't posted much because all WS are so good there isn't much more to add, not wanting to clog up the thread with repetitive posts.

So thank you again for having Mickey's beautiful face on your posts to remind.

They probably found the plate when they searched his home.

i wonder if he put the plate on his new truck to make his new truck seem like his old truck. this way, he wouldn't have had to tell LE at his next RSO check in that he purchased a new vehicle.

i also think he wanted LE to think the new truck was the same white truck so that if they ever searched it, they wouldn't find any evidence of Mickey and it would clear him.

in the media at that time, LE was only looking for that white truck, so he thought that if they ever linked that picture to him, they would simply search his truck and he could say, you see there's nothing in there.

either he thought the VIN would burn or he didn't think about the VIN at all OR he tried to remove one of the VINs before burning it. He may not have known that there were multiple VINs on vehicles? Well being that he was a mechanic, i guess he did?? Who knows? I'd like to know if the new truck had the old plate on it.

Where has ACI been, BTW?

I am lost. So the time stamps on some of the photos are unusually delayed from the time stamps from the Advertiser? Can someone tell me in time format what the time stamps on the photos are? And have they released the still photos from the Advertiser yet? The plot thickens.

ohhhhh. :crazy:

i was thinking that txlam worked at the Texas hospital and was saying that his story there was different than the got knifed in NOLA at an unknown gas station in an unknown location - the story at Ochsner. so he or she was saying that his story was different at different places - not necessarily just the hospitals?

Yes. MAYBE around the time he torched his truck in Texas?
MOO~ ???
His cast/bandages got wet from the acelerant he used and
it went up too! :floorlaugh:

sorry... I am in a "mad mood" :maddening:

It was said we would all be "shocked"...
I have heard that before...

This time we might REALLY be :eek:

i wonder if he put the plate on his new truck to make his new truck seem like his old truck. this way, he wouldn't have had to tell LE at his next RSO check in that he purchased a new vehicle.

i also think he wanted LE to think the new truck was the same white truck so that if they ever searched it, they wouldn't find any evidence of Mickey and it would clear him.

in the media at that time, LE was only looking for that white truck, so he thought that if they ever linked that picture to him, they would simply search his truck and he could say, you see there's nothing in there.

That is kind of what I think too...he may have even figured, so what if they suspect something, they can't prove it. He may well have thought that the only evidence relating to Mickey was in his truck, either forgetting he had kept something of hers, if he did, or figuring they would never get to that stage of searching his home. I am sure he knows the ins and outs of probable cause. Maybe it was forensics on the bike, maybe something else.

But something about his being at WB is what allowed LE to link him to the crime, IMO...they knew he had whited out his license, they knew his truck had been burned...those two things would not be enough. So I think his being at WB, on or about the morning of the 19th, did him in, as far as being able to make an arrest.

i wonder if he put the plate on his new truck to make his new truck seem like his old truck
. this way, he wouldn't have had to tell LE at his next RSO check in that he purchased a new vehicle.
:woohoo: I AGREE!!!!
:woohoo: I AGREE
:woohoo: I AGREE

Hence "splanin" why he didn't come forward! DUH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Morgy1