LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #39

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes...the still was time stamped @ 0300 +- don't know how many minutes.
Dont know what happened to stills, but the Devalcourt route makes no sense if you're in a panic & not familiar w/ Lafayette streets. Devalcourt is not a regular route. BSL is from Swords, not Lafayette. I didn't even think the route made sense. I asked my hubs, a native, about it & he said 'huh?? Why take Devalcourt?' So I'm asking, why??
Why not Congress or Eraste Landry to University?? I've just never understood that route, & I don't remember anyone stating that the still was positively from the Advertiser. Even the parking lot looks different..jmo

Dona......

Congress or Johnston to Bertrand.

Bertrand to I10 ...that's it. Only pass by intersection of deValcourt st.

I am lost. So the time stamps on some of the photos are unusually delayed from the time stamps from the Advertiser? Can someone tell me in time format what the time stamps on the photos are? And have they released the still photos from the Advertiser yet? The plot thickens.

Looking back through some KATC posts they show three picture (two from the same location with time stamps) and the caption reads about a Z-71 and an older model car. This could be all the confusion. The white truck in those photos (the ones with the time stamp) is no BSL truck and was later cleared by LE. These photos were taken on University Ave. I haven't found the link that says that yet, but I'm absolutely sure that I read they were taken on university. It doesn't matter since those vehicle were cleared.

The supposed footage of BSL truck from the Advertiser has not been publicly released yet.

Hope this helps!

I'm wondering if two death sentences would warrant two separate appeals processes.

I wasn't aware of the average length of time-to-execution in Louisiana.

It would be the only reason he'd give anything up, IMO

If it's two separate trials, I would imagine it two automatic appeals. My understanding is that the DA commented that he intends to try the 2 cases at the same time, so those appeals would be done at the same time, unless LA is different. Also, it doesn't take 15 years to get an appeal up to a state's supreme court. Typically, these guys are filing multiple upon multiple appeals. I'm not sure about LA but an appeal typically takes about a year, give or take.

yes. there was talk of the printing building area being a likely spot too. that whole L shape st. landry and coliseum make seems like a likely spot to commit such an evil horrible crime. :(

http://goo.gl/maps/ngvjv

I know the print building area like the back of my hand. You can pull behind part of the building by the dumpsters. This is a very secluded area. I can imagine him abducting her between St. Landry/Dean St and the coliseum, then pulling behind this building. Posts earlier were of police tape behind that building and dogs alerting.

I do not have the link and too lazy to look for it! :)

BTW...the google map link above shows the print shop (marked Univeristy of Louisiana) and the smaller building beside the larger one. The smaller one can be pulled behind. UL Campus police patrol this area at night.

Or the car dealership that sold him his new truck?

yes. i do remember her saying that he had some mixed up explanations to his injuries that seemed to her. she said SOMETHING like that, right? didn't the dealership lady's friend post her friends encounter with BSL? it was a few days before the dealership was Fact. anyway, i think I remember her saying his story was strange

Perhaps the change to murder one for Lisa has to do with uncovering a likely motive? As opposed to some other less premeditated kind of murder?

I am wondering what they had in 2008; it could not have been much at all, if the GJ wouldn't go for it. Kind of surprising they tried to get the indictment.

Also wondering, if anyone knows...I guess this indictment phase does not happen in every state? I don't recall the suspect in Sierra's case going thru this GJ process, unless I missed it.

bbm: cluciano, in at least some states (Louisiana being one of them, BTW), criminal charges can be addressed through a grand jury or by a "Bill of Information". (See link below for info on how it works in LA.) I don't know if this is true in Sierra's state, but maybe that could be your answer.

http://thomasvalonzo.com/blog/2011/08/how-criminal-charges-are-filed-in-louisiana/

From the link:

Grand Jury Indictments vs. Bill of Information

After a person is arrested for a crime in Louisiana, they will have criminal charges filed against them in either a Grand Jury Indictment or a Bill of Information. These documents list the allegations against the defendant and then lay a foundation for the charges. The primary purpose is to notify the defendant of the criminal charge and the evidence against them so that they can start preparing a defense.

Though the documents are similar, there is a big difference between a grand jury indictment and a bill of information. A grand jury indictment means that you will go to trial on that particular charge — you will not be able to have a charge reduced or dismissed by a pre trial motion. In most cases, a grand jury indictment is for more serious felony charges. With a bill of information, however, there is an opportunity to request a reduction of charges if there does not appear to be enough evidence to support the charge. ...

The Bill of Information is created by the district attorney, who looks at the police report and decides what the appropriate charge or charges will be based on the evidence in the report. ...

ETA: The above is from a defense attorney's site, I believe, so some info there may have a certain "slant" -- but the basic info above is probably pretty general. Was just the first thing I found to illustrate the two different methods in LA.

Just because he's not from laffy doesnt mean he doesnt know the town and streets well. Also there may have been an angry person in the back seat that would have caused him to take the not so expected way. LE said they have footage from bertrand, it doesn't have to make sense. It's just the way it is

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Only if he went to Grande isle. It's the only toll road I know of in the state.

there's a BIG toll "booth" in NOLA after crossing the Mississippi River Bridge. it's to go onto the Westbank. If you are going to Algiers or Ochsner on the Westbank or Plaquemines Parish - I think is that way, you have to go through a big toll. I'm not saying he went through that toll, but there is one there.

I know the print building area like the back of my hand. You can pull behind part of the building by the dumpsters. This is a very secluded area. I can imagine him abducting her between St. Landry/Dean St and the coliseum, then pulling behind this building. Posts earlier were of police tape behind that building and dogs alerting.

I do not have the link and too lazy to look for it! :)

BTW...the google map link above shows the print shop (marked Univeristy of Louisiana) and the smaller building beside the larger one. The smaller one can be pulled behind. UL Campus police patrol this area at night.

Cajunstrong didn't you say you heard dogs alerted to scent near a print shop? This triggered my memory of a post from weeks ago...

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Don't ever post when you're tired. Spelling & syntax.
I disagree CF. I don't remember it clearly being stated by LE that the pic was from the Advertiser, & not from a business on University. Remember the time stamp on the pic??

I don't think your spelling and syntex is bad. We all do it and it's just a forum after all, eh? Depends on what pic you are talking about. The only ones I remember with time stamps are the ones of MS on her bike and the vehicles that was in question.

I'm not local so I don't know what makes sense. But to get to I-10 leaving town, you'd go right past the Advertiser, right? That was the strange part, they asked for up to 4AM from the Advertiser video.
Not necessarily,theres the University route which gives him a clearer & straighter shot home. Bertrand goes to I-10, but you'd still have to get to either the University exit, or I-49 to get home to Swords. If you take it across I-10 it dead-ends to a T.
At the terminus to Congress, from whether he took Cajundome, Coliseum or Dean st, he had to make a decision, w/ either a fighting or unconscious victim in backseat. Quickest way home...IMO University...
Honestly, it's moot point.. Its spaghetti at a wall.

I don't know what photo you're talking about, but you're confusing the heck out of me.

LE got footage of his truck from the Daily Advertiser, on the corner of Bertrand and Devalcourt. LE said it, I have no reason to doubt, it, and so I'm standing on it. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, but honestly, I can't even figure out what you're saying/
Gotta go.

:confused:

LE definitely has footage from The Advertiser. They said so, plus 3-4 weeks before the arrest, they viewed the footage and then returned right before the arrest to pick it up.

Just a snippet more on gj indictment vs. bill of information, this time from Wikipedia:

United States criminal procedure

Charging instruments In a criminal case, the government generally brings charges in one of two ways: either by accusing a suspect directly in a "bill of information" or other similar document, or by bringing evidence before a grand jury to allow that body to determine whether the case should proceed. If the grand jury determines that there is enough evidence to justify the bringing of charges, then the defendant is indicted. In the federal system, a case must always be brought before a grand jury for indictment if it is punishable by death or more than one year in prison[1]; some states, however, do not require indictment.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_criminal_procedure#Charging_instruments

ETA: ...and just to be thorough, let me also include this:

There are three methods through which a charge of first degree murder can proceed to trial:
a. Bill of Information (preliminary hearing)
b. Grand Jury
c. Multiple Means (A combination 1 & 2).
In most cases, State Law stipulates one form or the other; Bill of Information or Grand Jury. Some states allow either one or require the charge to proceed through both a preliminary hearing (Bill of Information) and then to Grand Jury.

from this interesting link: http://www.ndran.org/Capital Defense Handbook.htm

Yes...the still was time stamped @ 0300 +- don't know how many minutes.
Dont know what happened to stills, but the Devalcourt route makes no sense if you're in a panic & not familiar w/ Lafayette streets. Devalcourt is not a regular route. BSL is from Swords, not Lafayette. I didn't even think the route made sense. I asked my hubs, a native, about it & he said 'huh?? Why take Devalcourt?' So I'm asking, why??
Why not Congress or Eraste Landry to University?? I've just never understood that route, & I don't remember anyone stating that the still was positively from the Advertiser. Even the parking lot looks different..jmo

We have never see the footage that The Advertiser has. It hasn't been released to the public. You must be referring to the footage from the LCG camera on University. This was when the DWT was following Mickey. If the abduction took place on Coliseum which is most likely where it did, it makes much more sense that he went out of town on Bertrand. He would already be heading in that direction from Coliseum.

there's a BIG toll "booth" in NOLA after crossing the Mississippi River Bridge. it's to go onto the Westbank. If you are going to Algiers or Ochsner on the Westbank or Plaquemines Parish - I think is that way, you have to go through a big toll. I'm not saying he went through that toll, but there is one there.
There's that one on the Crescent City Connection, and on the LA1 Expressway. If he had a Geaux Pass for LA 1, he could've used it on the CCC.

Don't forget the Causeway bridge. (it's also a toll bridge on the Mandeville side) It links the North Shore with Nola. After exiting from the I-12 it's about 3 plus miles to the Causeway. It ends into Metairie after 24 miles of a straight shot over Lake Ponchatrain.

I was under the impression when he said the plate he was referring to the actual license plate they were able to get from the burned truck... Even if completely burned they would still be able to read the plate number...
Jmo

I would have thought BSL would have taken the plates off prior to burning just to slow the process of identification. JMO

Not necessarily,theres the University route which gives him a clearer & straighter shot home. Bertrand goes to I-10, but you'd still have to get to either the University exit, or I-49 to get home to Swords. If you take it across I-10 it dead-ends to a T.
At the terminus to Congress, from whether he took Cajundome, Coliseum or Dean st, he had to make a decision, w/ either a fighting or unconscious victim in backseat. Quickest way home...IMO University...

Would you take the same route if your destination was NOLA or Whiskey Bay?

Coliseum then left on Reinhardt then right onto Bertrand?? Does that make any sense?

I didn't drive that area much when I lived in Lafayette, but by looking at a map, that seems logical??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne