LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #40

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The idea of the knife was discussed a week or so back, and no one was ever able to confirm she actually carried one. She may have. In fact, I hope she did.

I do believe whatever struggle happened either happened in that truck, or in some other confined area. She had fight in her. I do believe she'd have gotten away if it had happened in the open.

Another scenario I've pondered is the idea that he somehow subdued her, knocked her (or otherwise rendered her) unconscious, and threw her into the back seat of his truck. Then she came to, found some sort of sharp object (knife, etc.) in the back of his truck, and attacked. (Perhaps this is where the TDA footage comes into play?)

Another thing I've wondered is if he even was able to "get what he wanted" from MS, given the fight he apparently faced. Hopefully she put up one of those "over my dead body" fights, and left her mark(s) on that forever.

I think so but there are lots of vegan options at Taco Bell. Bean burrito, seven layer burrito, chips n cheese. I think she was seen on surveillance footage there at the time BW said they were there.
Would you share your thoughts on the significance of Taco Bell in the case?

My vegan thoughts... were about the "lifestyle" associated with SOME vegans not all of them.
Taco bell was just a reference point from where I thought I might have heard it before.

"Natural" beauty.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8202359&postcount=164"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #40[/ame]

Saw this:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127297"]LA - Jessica Hawk, 32 - unsolved 2008 murder - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

and in snipping from gngr~snap post: "Jessica was killed within 24 hours of Brandon Lavergnes release from prison."

In [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8203469&postcount=8"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - LA - Jessica Hawk, 32 - unsolved 2008 murder[/ame]

I think his interest in her probably goes back to his obsessive nature. Almost as though he hyper-focused on her. The real question is why. Was it because he had a real interest in her, or was it that he had a use for her?

I wouldn't think he'd hardly have targeted her to be a victim. He'd just been rocked to his core. NOTHING the morning of May 19th seems to have gone the way he wanted. I'm pretty sure he was still shaken up over it. The last thing he'd want is for someone to come up missing that could be traced back to him.

My guess is he was planning on using her as an alibi.

Me thinks he wanted her to say what a gentleman he is. Just in case he needed that....

Another scenario I've pondered is the idea that he somehow subdued her, knocked her (or otherwise rendered her) unconscious, and threw her into the back seat of his truck. Then she came to, found some sort of sharp object (knife, etc.) in the back of his truck, and attacked. (Perhaps this is where the TDA footage comes into play?)

Another thing I've wondered is if he even was able to "get what he wanted" from MS, given the fight he apparently faced. Hopefully she put up one of those "over my dead body" fights, and left her mark(s) on that forever.

Yup. I've wondered the same.
But, I also think he would have tied her and blindfolded her before anything.
So, I keep wondering how she could have attacked him.

Yup. I've wondered the same.
But, I also think he would have tied her and blindfolded her before anything.
So, I keep wondering how she could have attacked him.

I doubt he would bother with a blindfold...I don't think he ever had any intent of leaving her as a living witness.

I do not know if this helps answer the question or not, but years ago I worked for one of the top cdefense attorneys in the United States. Mostly big drug dealer cases. What I remember is the attorney's instructions when someone called from the jail to be represented. I was to ask specifically NOT "What did you do?" - but instead "What do they SAY you did?" The reason for the different wording is that most of the times these calls are recorded and thus the defense attorney did not want his future client admitting to anything by using the wrong words. -- From working with that group of attorneys I would say that the attorneys do want to know what the perp did because of this specific reason: They want no surprises in court. Normally a good defense attorney will not ask any question that he does not already know the answer to in court. Thus -- he has to know what the perp actually did in order to best defend him when the facts of the case are presented. However -- there are some perps who are dumb enough to still deny to their own attorney they did anything. Those dummies normally get crucified in court and their attorney gets pretty p.o.'d also.

It is a fine line in being ethical. If you don't want to lie, be an environmental attorney or an insurance defense attorney -- those guys typically are more ethical -- just my opinion. The reasoning a criminal defense attorney will use for their lies is that everyone is guaranteed a defense by our constitution and it is their job to provide their client with the best defense possible. Esp when the client or their mom has paid big bucks to get a good defense. If it makes you feel any better, in my history of law class, it used to be, hundreds of years ago in the English courts, that folks paid "professional liars" to testify in court cases. Not much has changed......

I understand all that and not picking on you put just wanted to make a statement on this subject. In my opinion I think it is unethical because Justice is SEEKING the truth no matter where it leads. Defending someone doesn't always mean to get the guilty off or innocent off. It just means to go where the truth is. Attorney's asking "what did they say you did" is to me like saying "It depends on what the word "IS" means" Really, oh come on. That is how I see it and I'm just using common sense.

A fair trial doesn't mean to get the guilty off! A fair trial means, if he is guilty maybe he should plead to the court, take ownership of his wrong doing. A fair trial is if the perp, states to his attorney he did it, then that attorney should tell him that his plea should be guilty and not innocent, then inform the Judge and DA. FAIR is FAIR

I've been giving a bit of thought to the TDA footage. Apparently this was the last bit of crucial evidence LE gathered prior to arrest.

What could have been on that tape?

-Simple proof of the DWT having been in the area at a certain time/within a certain time frame
-Clear view of DWT, including license plate
-Clear view of DSL having MS in his "possession"
-Clear view of DSL in act of committing some sort of violent and/or subduing act against MS
-Clear view of scuffle between DSL & MS
-Clear view of DSL in possession of bike

I believe her friend Brettley came out and said he did not know of her carrying any kind of a weapon, other than her mace. Her family has not said either way. There were rumors of her carrying a box cutter, which one person in MSM picked up and was quoted about, but it is not at all considered a fact.

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I must have missed that entire conversation when my girls had their surgeries.

I just got back from going there. It is totally abandoned, and where there isn't shell parking/driving area, the grass is overgrown. There are alot of Pipes, I would say you could crawl into. I drove around and some of the small buildings are open and windows broken. One looks like a security building (small) like to check IDs when driving in. It is not blocked you can drive all around in there. I didn't get out of my car, I was alone, because I couldn't get my husband to go with me. There was a building in the front on the left side, driving in, it looked like it was in good repair. But it hasn't been used for years I would say. There were alot of spots that I thought no one would think of looking into. I was too scared to go look by myself. I did get out to check a dumpster that is sitting across from the main office. Nothing at all in there, thank god! I also went across the highway and pulled in to see if I could get to the three pits, but both acess points were gaited and chained. But there is a large over grown coolie (dranage ditch) right after the access road to the pits.
Oh, and also there is NO lighting at all there at night. It is completely dark, as I have been by there late at night.
is this the drainage ditch? https://maps.google.com/maps?q=E+Eb...=R5AIvJ_5j5PU70yx_kk4kA&cbp=12,243.92,,0,9.01

I just have a nagging feeling that BSL had to have had a confidant at some point over the years. He started so young that I feel as if someone else knows, not just is suspicious. Maybe even someone like-minded? I've read that he and his brother "seem close" according to their hairdresser (link below). I would be interested to know more about his relationship with his brother.

http://www.theind.com/news/10922-crowley-hairdresser-lavergne-had-knife-wound-on-neck

IMO, BSL did not have a confidant. These are his victims and his crimes-he owns them and won't share.
We look at these horrific accusations using a different viewpoint because we, thank God, do not share his. I know there's no way I could do anything wrong and then not tell someone because the guilt would eat me alive. A serial killer on the other hand, is usually either a psycho or socio path who doesn't feel guilt. We cannot use our lens to judge what he may or may not have done. Our way of thinking is foreign to him. He can pretend to feel but he doesn't. Everything, including faux feelings, is a means to an end with him.

This is MY OPINION of senerio : BL out driving due to the REJECTION from girlfriend and/or family. Passes MS riding bike and turns around to follow. Decides to bump her bike and then stops to apologize and give her a ride. Due to him being fairly good looking and close to her age and driving a nice truck(meaning not a 50 yr old man dirty and greasy in a crap box truck) and due to the hour and area and possible injuries/being caught off guard...she decides to accept a ride home or to a more lit area to call for a ride. BL takes her at knifepoint(in truck) and (APOLOGIZE IN ADVANCE) demands oral sex. MS brings him to climax. While he is in his moment, MS grabs for knife(as he is relaxedstabs him in chest and neck, BL slumps over for moment and she gets him in back. BL finge injuries are from struggle to regain possession of knife. This is just an opinion based on his previous mo. And based on that mo, I am guessing he stopped for gas and/or gas can, thus the search most likely should be for a sight of campfire or such. I want to apologize to any friends or family....intentions are to explain BL injuries and possible locations to BRING MS HOME.

His girlfriend's family did not confront her until May 25th. He went looking for a victim because he wanted to rape and kill. It's that simple. These people do not need a reason except they feel like it.

Geezus...that's an incredibly low price at which one sells his/her soul.

It's a job. There are somethings wrong with every job and fault can be found. These people are trying to support themselves and their families just as you are.
If your rear end or the rear end of someone you loved was in jail wrongfully accused, you'd be happy to deal with a defense attorney. Everyone in this country is entitled to a fair trial. It's not a pick and choose type thing otherwise someone who is innocent may be passed over. As Voltaire wrote “It is better to risk saving a guilty person than to condemn an innocent one.”
There are many countries where the system is guilty until proven innocent but I'm happy with our system.

I've been giving a bit of thought to the TDA footage. Apparently this was the last bit of crucial evidence LE gathered prior to arrest.

What could have been on that tape?

-Simple proof of the DWT having been in the area at a certain time/within a certain time frame
-Clear view of DWT, including license plate
-Clear view of DSL having MS in his "possession"
-Clear view of DSL in act of committing some sort of violent and/or subduing act against MS
-Clear view of scuffle between DSL & MS
-Clear view of DSL in possession of bike

I think it was a clear view of a violent/subduing act or a scuffle.
Seems like it was this video or what they found in the house that gave them enough to charge murder one....or the DNA evidence from the bike/wb came in about the same time.

Since they had the video before the house search I think it has clear and damming evidence.

I get that, Megsy. I just know that I could never represent someone who I know (beyond reasonable doubt, or via confession) to be guilty of these kinds of crimes. It's tantamount, IMO, to selling one's soul.

I get what you're saying. I couldn't do it either, which is why I'm not in that line of work. It's important to note, though, if an attorney has been appointed by the court, he or she doesn't usually have the luxury of saying, "Um, Judge, I think I'm gonna pass on this one."

It doesn't help find Mickey....but based on the first rape victim and Jessica Hawk...( not only does the police sketch look a LOT like BSL, the facts about the cases are eerily similar.)...it leads me to believe that he does not have "intercourse" when he rapes and kills his victims. I think he is much more sadistic.

moo

Geezus...that's an incredibly low price at which one sells his/her soul.

As the mother of an adult son who was falsely accused of something, I can tell you that defense attorneys are quite necessary in our legal system, and a GOD-SEND to those who have been falsely accused. My son could well be known as a sleezy criminal right now if we hadn't been blessed with a defense attorney who took the time to dig up all kinds of exculpatory evidence----stuff that was known to the prosecution, but they sure weren't telling us that.

They have a very hard job, because somehow our society has come to believe that an accusation means the defendant is guilty. This is not always the case.

To get it down to the bare bones, defense attorneys are there to force the state to prove the case against their client. Even a confession from a defendant to his lawyer in confidence does not change that; the state still needs to prove their case and the defense attorney still needs to keep his client's confidence. The attorney should advise his client when it is in his best interests to plead guilty, or take another plea, but cannot force the issue. The state is never supposed to bring charges that they cannot prove, and the defense is there to make sure they do.

(OT- Attorney/client privilege can have tragic consequences; I read about a case today when googling where another man confessed a murder to a lawyer whose client had already been convicted; but because he (lawyer) was also this man's attorney, he could not reveal this news, and his innocent client was murdered in prison.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jayc