LA - Baton Rouge. 3 officers killed/3 wounded, 17 July 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
But don't some people go into the military for the educational benefits? The shooter went to college after serving in the military, right? He didn't finish college, but it sounds like he was intelligent (well, not completely, but you know what I mean), so perhaps his stint with the military was for job training and for the college money. He was in a technical/data job, IIRC, in the Marines.

Not everyone joins the military intends stay in for their whole career, and a short stint does not necessarily mean anything other than he wanted to do something else.

Something troubling might indeed come out about his time with the Marines, but I haven't seen it yet. (Not that I'm defending the guy, of course!)

JMO

This is true. Another soldier friend that I had in Germany on a different tour of Germany when I was married, became a doctor in the civilian world, so he was not a "lifer".

IMOO.

I'm not picking up mental illness, either (though I am probably far less observant than you are - I know you pick up on people very well, very quickly).

To me, he falls into the group of someone with great potential - he's smart and sees himself as a leader - but doesn't quite live up to that potential. His "greatness" hasn't happened, and not enough people (especially women) are that impressed. He's not getting stroked enough, and he's getting to the age where he has to BE SOMETHING other than a blowhard with potential. He did well in the Marines, but quit after five years. He did well in college, but quit.

He joins groups but then says he wasn't part of the group. I think he disavowed associations because those groups didn't recognize his "greatness." He dumped them before they dumped him.

So, instead of persevering....the egomaniac burns out in a big, big way as an excuse for not achieving greatness. It's essentially suicide, whether he dies or not. A lifetime in prison for a heinous crime is, essentially, suicide of his "life that had potential."

Just my armchair opinion, worth what you paid for it.

I don't see any evidence of mental illness in this cop hating murderer. He seemed very aware and had clear cognitive thinking. He actually had stalked the officers and the area before he struck without warning. There is nothing wrong with this man mentally except his head and heart were filled with blind hatred.

He wasn't mentally ill. He was driven by hate and it is THAT destructive emotion that resulted in six innocent officers being shot.

Most mass murderers or any murderers aren't mentally ill. A few are. I don't understand why some try to make him out to be mentally ill when there is absolutely no basis for that assumption. However it seems to happen time and time again where that excuse has become a blanket coverall excuse for these kind of homegrown domestic terrorists.

Only around 2-4% of murderers have been found to be mentally ill when their case went to trial and if this mass murderer had lived he too would not have been deemed mentally insane. IMO

People do not have to be mentally ill to hate nor do they have to be mentally ill to be filled with hatred that results in mass murders either.

Actually five years serving as a Marine is odd to me. When Marines enlist they usually sign up for a 2-4-or 6 year stint. I have never seen a Marine who signed up to serve five years. And if they re-up it is usually for two years or more. An odd number of years like 5 seems very odd to me. Did he ask out for some reason and they gave him an honorable discharge. Even the other cop killer was given an honorable discharge yet he was accused of sexual harassment where the young female had a RO against him.

I thought that odd as well. But I found this.

For example, let's say you enlist in the Army on a two-year active duty contract. At the end of the two years, you separate from active duty. For the next six years, you are subject to recall to active duty at any time, if the Army feels they need you to help supplement active duty or reserve deployments.

Keeping the above in mind, the Army offers active duty (full-time) enlistment periods from two years to five years (only certain jobs are available for two and three year enlistees).

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/f/obligation.htm

I thought that odd as well. But I found this.

For example, let's say you enlist in the Army on a two-year active duty contract. At the end of the two years, you separate from active duty. For the next six years, you are subject to recall to active duty at any time, if the Army feels they need you to help supplement active duty or reserve deployments.

Keeping the above in mind, the Army offers active duty (full-time) enlistment periods from two years to five years (only certain jobs are available for two and three year enlistees).

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/f/obligation.htm

As far as I am aware the Army is the only branch that will let someone serve only for two years.

This shooter was in the Marines and not the Army, right?

Just like a bad police officer doesn't represent all police officers or one terrorist doesn't represent all Muslims, one ****** carrying a BLM sign doesn't represent the movement.

I pretty much agree with that, but I also believe that it takes very little to empower and encourage maniacs like this to step over the threshold and walk through that door . The movement contributed to that, IMO.

If all law enforcement officers walked away from their jobs, I wouldn't blame them. Their job is to serve and protect, not to fear for their own lives.

I don't see any evidence of mental illness in this cop hating murderer. He seemed very aware and had clear cognitive thinking. He actually had stalked the officers and the area before he struck without warning. There is nothing wrong with this man mentally except his head and heart were filled with blind hatred.

He wasn't mentally ill. He was driven by hate and it is THAT destructive emotion that resulted in six innocent officers being shot.

Most mass murderers or any murderers aren't mentally ill. A few are. I don't understand why some try to make him out to be mentally ill when there is absolutely no basis for that assumption. However it seems to happen time and time again where that excuse has become a blanket coverall excuse for these kind of homegrown domestic terrorists.

Only around 2-4% of murderers have been found to be mentally ill when their case went to trial and if this mass murderer had lived he too would not have been deemed mentally insane. IMO

People do not have to be mentally ill to hate nor do they have to be mentally ill to be filled with hatred that results in mass murders either.

Hate can make you crazy, but not in a legal sense.

:cow:

If all law enforcement officers walked away from their jobs, I wouldn't blame them. Their job is to serve and protect, not to fear for their own lives.

They cant they have bills

Just like a bad police officer doesn't represent all police officers or one terrorist doesn't represent all Muslims, one ****** carrying a BLM sign doesn't represent the movement.

It is not just one carrying a sign at one protest; it is numerous people at many protests, also involving chants that the crowd goes along with, not to mention the social media with words and pictures...

You know what just hit me - renting the car AND wearing a mask, makes me think that he really anticpated that he would be able to go home, get some popcorn, and watch the news coverage. moo

I've lived with people being killed by LEOs for years and will not forget but I will never blame or hold it against all officers.

Something has to change and I don't see anyone else coming to the table with ideas and possible solutions.

:clap:

As far as I am aware the Army is the only branch that will let someone serve only for two years.

This shooter was in the Marines and not the Army, right?

Correct. He was a veteran of the Marine Corps.

There are numerous enlistment terms and enlistment programs available in the Marine Corps, but the most common enlistment contracts require four or five years of active duty service. Depending on an individual's level of education, unique qualifications and other determining factors, guaranteed training and duty assignments may be available. If you have questions about enlistment options, a Marine Recruiter is your best resource for information.
http://www.marines.com/m/eligibility/service-options/enlisted

[Compose, delete. Compose, delete.] by a 5-year service veteran.

As far as I can tell, the shooter in Baton Rouge was not part of BLM.

Maybe the BLM topics can be directed to threads that are about BLM.

Did I miss something about his affiliation? Let me know!

Sure am glad we aren't allowed to talk politics and gun control on this thread...:waitasec:

Yep.

There is PLENTY to discuss about this case in particular.

My personal interest at the moment is figuring out WHEN this guy decided to turn to violence toward LE. The vibe I'm getting is that he was fine in the military, fine at the start of college, and then....changed.

I'm interested in that change.

I'm interested in anything his ex-wife has to say about him.

I'm also interested in how he committed this crime. Did he have another scenario planned, but the 911 caller got the ball rolling faster? IDK, but I'm curious about the actual events of that morning and his road trip to BR.

I'm curious about the other rallies he attended. Was he also promoting his book at the same time? Can we figure out any connections between the Dallas shooter and the BR shooter?

Lots and lots to research and discuss...and that's what WS is good at!

Yep.

There is PLENTY to discuss about this case in particular.

My personal interest at the moment is figuring out WHEN this guy decided to turn to violence toward LE. The vibe I'm getting is that he was fine in the military, fine at the start of college, and then....changed.

I'm interested in that change.

I'm interested in anything his ex-wife has to say about him.

I'm also interested in how he committed this crime. Did he have another scenario planned, but the 911 caller got the ball rolling faster? IDK, but I'm curious about the actual events of that morning and his road trip to BR.

I'm curious about the other rallies he attended. Was he also promoting his book at the same time? Can we figure out any connections between the Dallas shooter and the BR shooter?

Lots and lots to research and discuss...and that's what WS is good at!

I wonder if he actually did have help in carrying out this slaughter. jmo

I wonder if he actually did have help in carrying out this slaughter. jmo

Yes, and I'm also curious about the stand-off at his house/parent's house in Kansas City. What was that all about?!

Please stay on topic folks.

This thread is about the 3 Baton Rouge Police Officers shot and killed along with 3 other's wounded.

Unless you can find something that suggest's the killer's motivation had something to do with BLM then keep it in check.

Politics and gun control are a no go as they have been on WS for a very long time. Nothing good ever comes with those discussions.

Please be respectful of your fellow poster and if you have to just scroll and roll or use the alert function.

Thank you

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BEllis9801
Back