LA LA - Belle Chasse, WhtMale 16-17, UP88342, hanged, suicide note, Feb'75 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Are we fairly certain Marcia is Bayard's mother? I am also not finding anything else that seems to fit, so will look based on this unless someone chimes in with something else.

Edited--OK, I found her college yearbook pics and there is a fairly strong resemblance, so I will go ahead.
I’m fairly certain it is. I found her on Find a Grave along with her husband Capt. John Edward “Jack” Cousins. On his obit it says “a son Bayard predeceased him.”. I don’t think Bayard is a common name. Also noted he has a sister.

WHoa....

Well folks, Bayard Cousins is...my cousin. A distant cousin, but my cousin nonetheless! now THAT was a bit of a shock! This find is around 1650, so not sure I would be of a great deal of use in Gedmatch, but hey was not expecting that.

Anyway...Assuming we have the correct family here, I can share his ancestry is overwhelmingly from England on both sides. Very, very deep roots in Virginia, also strong ties to Missouri, and then some slightly more distant ancestry in the northeast. So far I have found one ancestor who was German, and one who may have been Welsh, but both are several generations removed.

Edited: just to clarify the ancestry in the Northeast is a few hundred years ago, so would have no ties to the Puritan shirt.

I'm not sold on Wallace; in the years I've been on the UID forum here, I've seen a number of can't-miss matches that turned out to be just coincidentally close but the the one.

Earl Joggerst intrigues me. I think somebody suggested him early in this thread.

5401DMMO - Earl Anthony Joggerst
I did, and I keep returning to him. He seems to have been a bit of an outcast, and the resemblance is strong. His age also fits, and he had been missing for awhile, which I keep returning to since BCJD referenced being a "missing son".

In his thread here on Websleuths there is a poster who seems to have known of Earl--I think her sister was in his class at school, if I remember correctly?

I did, and I keep returning to him. He seems to have been a bit of an outcast, and the resemblance is strong. His age also fits, and he had been missing for awhile, which I keep returning to since BCJD referenced being a "missing son".

In his thread here on Websleuths there is a poster who seems to have known of Earl--I think her sister was in his class at school, if I remember correctly?

Wallace and Cousins are both really too old, if the age estimate is correct.

I also think both are too old, although I know the estimates have been off in the past as well. Assuming Bayard is the Bayard William Cousins we have found birth records for, he was born in August1, 1952. So he would have been 22 1/2.

Part of me also wonders if some of the "Mom and Dad, you did everything right. It was not you." could have been thinly veiled sarcasm?

I'd like to know more about what Earl was like aside from possibly being gay and effeminate. (For context, this comes from his thread here on Websleuths, from remarks of the insider there. )

A few details about all of these young men compared to BCJD and what we do know:

Mrs. Wallace remarked of BCJD: "His hair is too dark to be Charlie"

Bayard Cousins has very dark brown hair, almost to the point of black. However, he had hazel eyes.

Earl Joggerst has brown hair and blue eyes. I'm not sure how dark his hair was as we only have a low quality photos to go on.

BCJD had brown hair (dark brown, if we trust Mrs. Wallace) and brown eyes.

I'm a female and my writing is questionable lol (I blame it on being left handed) I wonder if LE questioned hotels in the area to see if it was one of their bedsheets? Also, I read there was a dry cleaning number on his trousers dd42 or dd44 I believe..anyone else read this?

Re: the dry cleaning number

This is interesting in and of itself. We have a 16-17 year-old boy, who is quite possibly a runaway or missing for some length of time. We know for whatever reason, he is wearing mismatched socks, which could be any reason, yet his pants went to the cleaner? I understand some fabrics require, or strongly prefer this vs just throwing them in a machine at a laundromat, but I still find it curious.

What kind of 16 year-old boy sends his clothes out to be dry cleaned? Did these pants belong to someone else? Maybe all of the clothing was from someone else?

No idea how we would ever prove or disprove, but wondering if everything he had on and that sheet was lifted from someplace?

Good points.

Dry cleaning tags stick forever. I had my good dress slacks cleaned on a cruise in 2019 and just found the tag inside the waistband last month. So it could have been there before he left home (implies a somewhat more prosperous background).

It could also be just a cleaning tag. Many/?most? cleaners offer both dry cleaning and regular laundry/pressing service.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the age estimate being between 16-17 yrs old, that's pretty specific and the age estimates are usually out by a couple of years, was it made by an ME? I forget.

I don't thinks Wallace said the UID hair was "dark" brown did she? Just that the hair seemed to dark for Charlie, but she also seemed to note that it could have been because the body was so pale.

I would say dark blonde hair could also pass for light brown, but as far as I know the body was just described as having brown hair, and not the shade of brown.

I think it's worth noting that the article states that the detective had calls from lots of parents of missing boys, but the only description the detective thought was a good enough match to invite them to view the body, including the matching dentals and scar inside the mouth, was of Charlie Wallace.

Personally, if I look at the similarities with the sketch I would focus on these profiles:

Missing Person / NamUs #MP10100
Orin Robin Anderson, Male, White/Caucasian
Date of Last Contact: August 26, 1973
Missing From: Mequon, Wisconsin
Missing Age: 16 Years

1709700263859.png1709700609081.png

Missing Person / NamUs #MP19117
Roger Merton Day, Male, White / Caucasian
Date of Last Contact:October 4, 1973
Missing From: Porter, Maine
Missing Age: 14 Years

1709700336651.png1709700601649.png

Missing Person / NamUs #MP73876
Anthony Andrzejewski, Male, White / Caucasian
Date of Last Contact: August 13, 1973
Missing From: New Castle, Delaware
Missing Age: 20 Years

1709700397001.png1709700584015.png

Missing Person / NamUs #MP43261
Earl Anthony Joggerst, Male, White / Caucasian
Date of Last Contact: August 4, 1972
Missing From: Arnold, Missouri
Missing Age: 15 Years

1709700516306.png1709700590622.png

Missing Person / NamUs #MP50346
Edward Martin Zajac Jr., Male, White / Caucasian
Date of Last Contact: November 30, 1973
Missing From: Greenfield, Massachusetts
Missing Age: 20 Years

cattu.png 1709700609081.png

I wouldn't put too much stock in the age estimate being between 16-17 yrs old, that's pretty specific and the age estimates are usually out by a couple of years, was it made by an ME? I forget.

I don't thinks Wallace said the UID hair was "dark" brown did she? Just that the hair seemed to dark for Charlie, but she also seemed to note that it could have been because the body was so pale.

I would say dark blonde hair could also pass for light brown, but as far as I know the body was just described as having brown hair, and not the shade of brown.

I think it's worth noting that the article states that the detective had calls from lots of parents of missing boys, but the only description the detective thought was a good enough match to invite them to view the body, including the matching dentals and scar inside the mouth, was of Charlie Wallace.

Yes, it was a medical examiner, albeit one who was a local gynecologist. The tipping point for me with the age likely being accurate is someone in the initial thread--I think it was Tony--went to lengths to speak with Faces and got their opinion as to whether the age estimate was accurate.

I know on a few occasions with cases in the 60s, 70s, etc the ages have been widely off, but there are other things here that also make this seem more like a teenager to me than a young adult.

Something that has not been mentioned yet, and I think we may be viewing through a more modern lens: in 1975 at 19, 20, 22, 23? You were an ADULT, unless you had some sort of delay. Not that your parents wouldn't have loved you, but I do not personally think your suicide note would have been as directed towards a "missing son". We know law enforcement wasn't even particularly sympathetic in many cases towards families who tried to file missing reports for those 18+, right?

I don't think the note from an adult would have been as "Dear Mom and Dad" written by someone the age of Bayard Cousins.... He was a college grad already, right? (Or do I have this confused?). I know he left the "Don't worry about me" note, but that is also consistent with a young adult who is just taking off. Maybe his parents were controlling/overprotective or it felt that way to him, and he left for somewhere to engage as an activist?

Where Charlie Wallace was involved in drugs, he certainly could have crossed the wrong people as well. Owed someone money, or overdosed somewhere and others got rid of his body.

was it made by an ME? I forget.
LOL it was made by the local gynecologist who doubled as the coroner. I don't think Louisiana was using the medical examiner system at the time and this guy was probably an elected coroner. It is highly unlikely he had any forensic or pathological training.

The reason why I (MOO) believe strongly that this is CW is because there are some unique identifiers. Primarily both CW's own dentist and the odontologist Plaquemines was using verified that the dentals of BCJD and CW matched. Personally I find this pretty conclusive. In the era before DNA, dentals were the main tool used to identify people and they are still widely used today where DNA is not available, or to validate a potential match before using DNA. Dentals have been used successfully to identify millions of people, so why do we doubt that this one is accurate?
Secondly both CW and BCJD had a large scar on the inside of their mouth. I believe this is a unique identifier indicating a match.
I add in the circumstantial elements that Mrs Wallace claimed his feet matched CW's and his letter sounded like CW speaking to her and I get a positive match in my mind.

Height, weight and hair colour to me are not unique identifiers and may be shared by millions of people. I also think that the drawing should be taken with a pinch of salt; this is merely an artistic representation of what BCJD looked like; we have no idea if it was made by a forensic artist. The fact that it is in black and white is not helpful at all. There are many, many young men who have been shared here who look alot like this drawing, but do they also have the unique identifiers? HOWEVER--I want to remind everyone that The Wallace's neighbours ran round to show Mrs. Wallace the newspaper article because they recognised this as CW. That tells me it did indeed look like CW at the time (even though I don't see a massive similarity between BCJD and his High school photo, he may have changed since then).

Regarding age; again I don't think this can be so specific as 16-17. I can't think how you would narrow it down to that 1 year of age. What I would like to point out is that of all the things Mrs. Wallace said when trying to convince herself that this was not Charlie; she never said "because he looks too young". Therefore I think the age estimate should be more like 16-20.

Yes you're right, I believe she said the hair looks too dark to be Charlie's but then qualified the statement with "but how can you tell, his skin is so pale" (paraphrasing) so really she couldn't make a positive or negative ID based on hair colour and admitted as much.

Regarding the Does mentioned above:
- Earl Joggerst; I think he looks like a great potential match; but if his eyes were blue then that would seem to rule him out, no? He was also a good 3 inches shorter than BCJD's lower estimate.
-Orin Anderson also looks like a great match but his eyes were also blue. He had acne scars, but these weren't noted on BCJD.
-Anthony Andrzejewski had brain damage and an intellectual disability; it is stated specifically he couldn't write so that would rule him out.
-Roger Merton Day had a unique identifier in that his middle finger was crushed. This was not mentioned for BCJD.
-Edward Martin Zajac. The only thing that didn't match for him was that his hair was sandy blonde. Apart from that I couldn't rule him out.

So what can we do, since there is a handful of us that seem invested in this UID, to advocate on his behalf to have him exhumed for DNA testing? Even with genealogy, I'm convinced he can be identified. Since the whole purpose of exhuming his body is for identification and finding family , shouldn't the case owner/ lab be able to petition the court? So many missing young men and none of them can be compared to our UID...I don't think that's fair! Is it legal red tape..funding..or LE not interested in a 1975 suicide case ? I respect this young man wanted to remain nameless..but, with all the progress made on gender identity, sexual preference, mental health awareness, ect..I wonder if he would have made the same choice today ?
Any suggestions?

So what can we do, since there is a handful of us that seem invested in this UID, to advocate on his behalf to have him exhumed for DNA testing? Even with genealogy, I'm convinced he can be identified. Since the whole purpose of exhuming his body is for identification and finding family , shouldn't the case owner/ lab be able to petition the court? So many missing young men and none of them can be compared to our UID...I don't think that's fair! Is it legal red tape..funding..or LE not interested in a 1975 suicide case ? I respect this young man wanted to remain nameless..but, with all the progress made on gender identity, sexual preference, mental health awareness, ect..I wonder if he would have made the same choice today ?
Any suggestions?
The reason is probably all of the above you mentioned. A small, rural parish like Plaquemines probably doesn't have the funding available to exhume a body, extract DNA and have a sample tested. Especially since this is a suicide (who was potentially not claimed by his family - see CW). No crime has been committed, there's nothing to solve in LE's eyes.
However, it is an enduring mystery and there would likely be public interest in the case if it was revisited.

My suggestion would be for you (or someone in the US...particularly Louisiana) to reach out to the Plaquemines Gazette and the Times-Picayune newspapers. Both originally did several articles on this and are local to the case. It may pique a reporter's interest enough for them to do another article. Send them everything we know.

If this doesn't get the ball rolling them I a afraid that I just don't see anyone exhuming this young man; unfortunatelt a no-crime case will always be at the bottom of the list.

Ok, so do we have a sense of why Faces--at least I believe it was Faces--seems to agree with the overall assessment of age, etc conducted by the physician who did the post mortem for BCJD?

I will try and find the original discussion and move it forward.

I am not strongly convinced it was any of the young men we have suggested. I DO think this was a teen though and not a young adult.

Earl Anthony Joggerst easily could have grown a few inches in the time he was missing, so height doesn't rule him out for me. His blue eyes are a big tick in the other column though. I have seen a few cases here where eye color turned out to be wrong, BUT BCJD was found so shortly after death, and I believe what I am thinking of were cases of darker eyes seeming lighter after a person had been deceased for awhile due to some biological process I forget the specifics of. (Do not quote me/jump on me if this is wildly off, I need coffee here....) :)

Also, I found this while searching the original thread: Bayard Cousins also has a unique scar on one of his fingers. We may be able to add this to possible reasons he could be ruled out. It starts to become difficult to keep all of the In favor/Against straight, so almost feel it could be helpful if we had a chart with the images @Romulus shared with traits attached for anyone we all feel has a plausible chance of considerationScreen Shot 2024-03-06 at 8.49.53 AM.png

Ok, so do we have a sense of why Faces--at least I believe it was Faces--seems to agree with the overall assessment of age, etc conducted by the physician who did the post mortem for BCJD?
I imagine because the only thing they had to go on was the same photo we have all seen, since there is nothing else in existence.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ricardo55
Back