LA LA - Belle Chasse, WhtMale 16-17, UP88342, hanged, suicide note, Feb'75

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I received the NOLA papers’ articles from the public library. I sent them to Carl to post. I’m a Luddite, can neither link nor drag anything over. The one Belle Chasse paper is available only through LSU special collections. Too many hoops for me. Maybe one of you youngsters?? From the alleged Durkheim quote I thought he might have attended a college on the East Bank: Tulane, Loyola, Delgado or UNO. I do believe LE got his age wrong.

I received the NOLA papers’ articles from the public library. I sent them to Carl to post. I’m a Luddite, can neither link nor drag anything over. The one Belle Chasse paper is available only through LSU special collections. Too many hoops for me. Maybe one of you youngsters?? From the alleged Durkheim quote I thought he might have attended a college on the East Bank: Tulane, Loyola, Delgado or UNO. I do believe LE got his age wrong.
I agree, this sounds like a college student.

However, in 1972, I became friends with some guys who went to a private Catholic seminary HS boarding school. They were into this philosophy stuff and gave me books to read. They weren't particularly religious, (as in Catholic religion) but they were into "finding themselves".

The guy I was friends with would sit on his bed cross legged and talk about this stuff for hours. (zzzz) I don't know if he considered me a friend or GF. He didn't believe in kissing girls, but only hugged people. Kinda weird guy. His family was fairly well off.

This particular boarding school (which closed in 1982) was remote and isolated. Here is a blurb about the place without giving the name of the school. I know Louisiana was more conservative than Wisconsin, but my hubby went to a large, traditional Catholic school in San Antonio and they had "rap sessions" with the brothers and other "70's activities".

The school supported the idea of education as a means to self-actualization, and took a student-directed pedagogical approach advocated by ______ All students completed a core curriculum of traditional subjects, but also chose from a slate of unconventional courses covering current events, some generated from student ideas. The atmosphere was highly informal; teachers and students on a first-name basis, and instead of traditional grades, the teacher and student met for an individual evaluation at the end of each term.[1]

Although all students were required to take theology and philosophy classes, the school and curriculum were nonsectarian, and welcomed people of all faiths.[1]

I *think* there was a conversation about this with another (former) UID. (Annandale Jane Doe, maybe? She signed her suicide note ‘Jane Doe’, implying she didn’t want to be identified. A quick search isn’t bringing anything up, though.)

I understand where you’re coming from, but personally, morally, I don’t believe the dead have right to privacy. Certainly a good argument could be made to the contrary, but in this particular case, I think an argument could be made that despite his protestations otherwise, BCJD either wanted or thought he would be identified.

All that said, it’s sort of a moot point, as he is extremely unlikely to be identified. His records/ case file are lost and it’s possible the Mothe family (owners of the funeral home who buried him) don’t know where his grave is actually located anymore.

Speaking of the note, I think I made a tiny discovery which is only mildly interesting, and not worth the effort it took to track down!

Basically, I suspect either BCJD or the news reporting made a (factual) mistake in the suicide note.

Many of the articles contain aphrase like this: “…cites the writings of Emile Durkheim, a philosopher and psychologist. The young man said Durkheim called suicide "an inner direction of homicidal feelings against someone else."

So - I got hung up on this awhile for no good reason. I tracked down Durkheim’s book On Suicide (1897) and read it. Hmm, nowhere does he say anything like the above quote attributed to him. In fact, because Durkheim is known as the father of sociology, not psychology, his insight and ideas about suicide came at it from the view that suicide is a result of social/societal stressors, not an individual’s psychological state.

So, who DID say something like ‘suicide is a homicidal impulse directed at oneself”?

Turns out to be Karl Menninger, in his paper “Psychoanalytic aspects of suicide” (1933), expanded upon in his 1938 book Man Against Himself; eg:

Discovering Menninger had been the source, rather than Durkheim, led me to wonder whether BCJD had been a patient at the Menninger Clinic, based in Topeka, Kansas, until the 1980s (it then moved to Houston). Their records are available at the Kansas Historical Society. (Which also seems to indicate they have patient records, but of course the average WSer likely won’t be able to access those.)

So that’s the mildly interesting thing! I totally get that it doesn’t move the needle on this case at all. :)

As an aside, both Durkheim and Menninger’s books are more than mildly interesting (especially Menninger’s)! They have very different approaches and perspectives in their theories of suicide, so it was informative to read both.
Interesting Whom do you believe made the misquote? Sorry it wasn't as enjoyable once you read both authors writings but thankful for your time and effort put into trying to find the answer we are searching for.

I think an argument could be made that despite his protestations otherwise, BCJD either wanted or thought he would be identified.
I strongly believe he expected to be identified otherwise why bother asking not to be identified...does that make sense?
If thats the case then I suspect he was a local.

Regarding his possessions and the lack of shoes. Could it be that he dumped his ID and (perhaps) backpack and shoes into the water and it's never been found. Is it possible his shoes would have identified him?
No car, didn't stay in a motel (or if he did no one mentioned it), didn't hitchhike (or again, no one remembered) and I don't think this place was any any major bus routes? So how did he get there, and even know about it if he wasn't local or spent time in the area?

Morally I have an issue with this one. Like... should we be actively trying to find someone's identity who didn't want this for themselves?
I think for the family's sake they should be identified. The family can then make the decision on whether to publish the name (like the Lyle Stevik case). The family's decision should be respected.

I think for the family's sake they should be identified. The family can then make the decision on whether to publish the name (like the Lyle Stevik case). The family's decision should be respected.
It’s a similar situation to the Annandale Jane doe. Though ultimately I think it’s best that they’re identified so the family can get closure. Annandale Jane does family decided it was ok to have her name released when she was identified.

Morally I have an issue with this one. Like... should we be actively trying to find someone's identity who didn't want this for themselves?
Yes. The decision to hide their identity affects others. Their families could be living in limbo, not knowing if their missing loved one is alive or dead. It's also dangerous to allow this. If people believe they can walk away from their lives and kill themselves, leaving a note asking not to be identified, the suicide rate will rise. The thought of being buried somewhere as a tragic, nameless Doe while everyone back home wonders about happened to them would appeal to some young, immature people with depression.

Yes. The decision to hide their identity affects others. Their families could be living in limbo, not knowing if their missing loved one is alive or dead. It's also dangerous to allow this. If people believe they can walk away from their lives and kill themselves, leaving a note asking not to be identified, the suicide rate will rise. The thought of being buried somewhere as a tragic, nameless Doe while everyone back home wonders about happened to them would appeal to some young, immature people with depression.
Not to mention the possibilty of a killer staging their crime with such a "suicide note".

I strongly believe he expected to be identified otherwise why bother asking not to be identified...does that make sense?
If thats the case then I suspect he was a local.

Regarding his possessions and the lack of shoes. Could it be that he dumped his ID and (perhaps) backpack and shoes into the water and it's never been found. Is it possible his shoes would have identified him?
No car, didn't stay in a motel (or if he did no one mentioned it), didn't hitchhike (or again, no one remembered) and I don't think this place was any any major bus routes? So how did he get there, and even know about it if he wasn't local or spent time in the area?
I think it would be easy to ditch a car in a wooded area or swamp as the area was swampy and woody. He was found near Naomi, via Times Picayune which is approx 16 miles south of Belle Chasse. I'm pretty sure he as familiar with the area. It looks likes an easy area to ditch a vehicle.

Random cemetery selected because no specific address given etc and can't find other "pinpoints" that I feel comfortable sharing. No indication he was found here, but you can browse from this point. I'm sure he was found close by Bayhi Cemetery · 14977 LA-23, Belle Chasse, LA 70037

Slightly to the north and west of the cemetery there is a huge marshy, swampy area.

Screenshot Capture - 2023-08-04 - 15-49-23.png

Attachments

• belle chasse john doe 06171975-tp-a.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Could census records help? It's unlikely that this boy was a local or he would have been identified within a few years of his death. He may have become familiar with the area by visiting grandparents, aunts or uncles who died or moved away years before this poor teenager's death. Comparing census records from around 1962 to 1974 would reveal which individuals or families left the area in that period.

Could census records help? It's unlikely that this boy was a local or he would have been identified within a few years of his death. He may have become familiar with the area by visiting grandparents, aunts or uncles who died or moved away years before this poor teenager's death. Comparing census records from around 1962 to 1974 would reveal which individuals or families left the area in that period.
Unfortunately the public census records only go to 1950.

Yes, a few of us have questioned this as well..
He even put the note in a jar..makes me think he wanted the note to be found and not blown away or rained on.
Could have been therapeutic...writing out his thoughts and feelings.
Sad..

I think it would be easy to ditch a car in a wooded area or swamp as the area was swampy and woody. He was found near Naomi, via Times Picayune which is approx 16 miles south of Belle Chasse. I'm pretty sure he as familiar with the area. It looks likes an easy area to ditch a vehicle.

Random cemetery selected because no specific address given etc and can't find other "pinpoints" that I feel comfortable sharing. No indication he was found here, but you can browse from this point. I'm sure he was found close by Bayhi Cemetery · 14977 LA-23, Belle Chasse, LA 70037

Slightly to the north and west of the cemetery there is a huge marshy, swampy area.

View attachment 439063
Thank you for this, especially the article.

The swampy area NW of the cemetery might not be the spot, as his NamUs page specifies "This UnID white male was located off Hwy 23, on a farm road that is in between Hwy 23 and the Mississippi River, near Alliance, in Plaquemines Parish." So it would likely be somewhere on the east side of 23, same side of the road as the cemetery.

Sadly, his page also states, "There are no surviving reports/records from either the Plaquemines Parish Sheriff's Office or Coroner's Office."

NamUs Page

The swampy area NW of the cemetery might not be the spot, as his NamUs page specifies "This UnID white male was located off Hwy 23, on a farm road that is in between Hwy 23 and the Mississippi River, near Alliance, in Plaquemines Parish." So it would likely be somewhere on the east side of 23, same side of the road as the cemetery.

Sadly, his page also states, "There are no surviving reports/records from either the Plaquemines Parish Sheriff's Office or Coroner's Office."

NamUs Page
His doe network page also says that. I’m actually the one who submitted the case to doe network. Apparently all the records were lost in Katrina. So there’s no way to compare him to any missing person and see if it’s a match.

Last edited:

NamUs Page
I was thinking a vehicle could have been ditched in the swamp.

He was found hanging from a persimmon tree, which means he wasn't found in a swamp.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member