LA LA - Eugenie Boisfontaine, 34, Baton Rouge, 13 June 1997 - "Killing Fields"

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Sean Gillis, the other serial killer, confessed to killing: Johnston, Schmidt, Ann Bryan, J. Williams, Katherine Hall, Nevils, Robinson, JM Williams.

I'm reading "Trail of bones" by Mary Manhein (she was on i think episode 2, forensic anthropologist), and I think this timeline explains why it was probably assumed Eugenie was the victim of one of the two serial killers the Baton Rouge are had around that time:

snipped

Thanks for your post. i have to admit, I am totally ignorant of Manheim, never followed any of the serial killers that people mention with regard to this case, and finally never knew anything about Eugenie Boisfontaine until this fabulous series brought her case to the forefront. And, I am hooked on her case.

Season 1, Episode 3: The Last Witness
19 January 2016

Mike Becnel ... Himself - Lawnmower Man
Leslie Bradford ... Herself - Det., Iberville Parish Sheriff's Office
James Grace ... Himself - Iberville Parish Coroner
Ronnie Hebert ... Himself - Major, Iberville Parish Sheriff's Office
Mary H. Manhein ... Herself - Dr., Originally Assigned to Boisfontaine Case, 1997

To anyone new to Derrick Todd Lee (this is an aside since he has apparently been ruled not likely by DNA taken from Eugenie), this sums up the victims presented at his trial. Be warned: the descriptions are exceptionally graphic detailing what happened to them. it's horrific and beyond sad. http://caselaw.findlaw.com/la-supreme-court/1398549.html

It makes me wonder what horror Eugenie suffered before she died.

Hiandmighty, I took the liberty of adding some information from my notes to your list, and links to WS threads.

1981 Nov - Eleanor C. Parker
, LSU student; East Baton Rouge - MISSING

1985 Oct - Melissa Montz, 27, LSU Ph.D. Student; disappeared on morning run near LSU; tied to log; decomposed remains found Nov 1985, LSU golf course - UNSOLVED

(2015 police take a fresh look: http://theadvocate.com/news/police/1...etectives-take

1997 Jun - Eugenie Boisfontaine, 34; kidnapped while walking near LSU Lakes; skull fractured; body found Bayou Manchac, Iberville Parish in August - UNSOLVED

1998 Jul - Natasha Collins, 31; East Baton Rouge Parish - MISSING

1999 Sep - Kassie Federer, 19; LSU student; shot to death by intruder in her Baton Rouge apartment - UNSOLVED

2000 Jan - Robin Gremillion, 28, nude body found LSU Lakes; drowned, no obvious injuries - UNSOLVED

DEREK TODD LEE

1992 Aug - Connie Warner, 41; kidnapped from Zachary; bludgeoned; body found in ditch near Capital Lakes, BR - suspect

1998 Apr - Randi Mebruer, 28; kidnapped from home, Oak Shadows subdivision, Zachary; blood at scene - DNA link - MISSING

2002 Dec - Mari Ann Fowler, 65; disappeared in Port Allen; witnesses reported silver or white truck - MISSING

2001 Sep - Gina Wilson Greene, 41; found strangled in home on Stanford Ave, BR - DNA link

2001 Nov - Trineisha Dene Colomb, 21; kidnapped from St. Landry Parish cemetery; raped, beaten; body found near Scott, LA - DNA link

2002 Jan - Geralyn DeSoto, 21; found dead in home; stomped, throat cut ear-to-ear - DNA link - CONVICTED

2002 May - Charlotte Murray Pace, 21; found dead in BR home; beaten with iron, throat cut, stabbed 80+ times - CONVICTED

2002 May - Christine Moore, 23; bludgeoned, skeletal remains found a month later on River Rd, BR; no DNA - suspect

2002 Jul - Pam Kinamore, 44; kidnapped from BR home; raped, beaten, throat cut; body found Whiskey Bay - DNA link

2003 Mar - Carrie Lynn Yoder, 26; kidnapped from home near LSU; beaten, raped strangled; body found Whiskey Bay - DNA link

SEAN VINCENT GILLIS

1994 Mar - Ann Bryan, 81; killed in apartment; throat slashed, stabbed 47 times - CONFESSED/CHGD

1999 Jan - Katherine Hall, 30; strangled with zip tie, stabbed 37 times, body dumped in Ascension Parish - CONFESSED/CHGD

1999 May - Hardee Moseley Schmidt, 52; stalked; hit her with car; strangled with zip tie, then raped; body found in bayou, St James Parish - CONFESSED/CHGD

1999 Nov - Joyce Williams, 36; picked up Scotlandville; killed Port Allen; dismembered; cannibalism; skeletal remains found Plaquemine ferry landing, Iberville Parish - CONFESSED/CHGD

2000 Jan - Lillian Robinson, 52; picked up in North BR; strangled with zip tie; body found Atchafalaya Basin - CONFESSED/CHGD

2000 Oct - Marilyn Nevils, 38; picked up in Lafayette; killed with zip tie; SVG showered w/corspe; body found Mississippi River levee - CONFESSED/CONVICTED

2003 Oct - Johnnie Mae Williams, 45; acquaintance; strangled with zip tie, dismembered; SVG kept her hands; body laid on river embankment - CONFESSED

2004 Feb - Donna Bennet Johnston, 43; strangled with zip tie; mutilated - CONFESSED/CONVICTED

An interesting interview with Barry Levinson about Killing Fields:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/killing-fields-barry-levinson-interview-859600

The Hollywood Reporter
JANUARY 26, 2016 7:59pm PT by Daniel Fienberg

'Killing Fields' EP Barry Levinson on Crime, Reality and Potential Lack of Closure

snippet

“Produced by Barry Levinson and Tom Fontana, who helped set the template for the modern crime procedural with Homicide, Killing Fields is being produced in semi-real-time, with episodes airing as leads are still being followed and suspected (sic) vetted.

Earlier this month, The Hollywood Reporter sat down with Levinson, also an executive producer and director on NBC's Shades of Blue, to talk about this foray into unscripted programming, the chance that Killing Fields may not ever have an ending and the oddness of meeting his stars months into production.”

““The following Q&A has no real spoilers for Killing Fields, which airs on Tuesdays at 10 on Discovery.

The first question is one of sort of logistics because your name and Tom's name have been central to this. Talk me through who has been where and doing what with the production on this. I assume you haven't been down on the ground in Louisiana the whole time.

No, because they're just shooting. We got involved when they basically said, "Here's what we want to do, this is how we want to approach it, we're not doing a reenactment show. This is not a pure 'Who's the suspect, etc., you know, all the traditional things that have part of those kinds of documentaries. This is where we want to go." You saw a couple clips of Rodie, etc., what kind of character he is, what kind of character Aubrey is, what kind of characters are there, what is this world, and we said, "Okay, well this is interesting." We are going past simply, "Okay, well here's the suspect, here's the so-and-so, and now we do it."

We, in a sense, are riding this on the backs of these characters and this journey. We don't know exactly where the journey's going to go. It's infused with more character than you normally get in these cases. If you want to just have a pure case and that's it, just the mechanics of it, this is not that. This takes the extra step. Here's a guy 18 years later. Flawed in his life as he talks about, married six times, etc. He's down there in the bayou and that kind of world that he lived in. Here's this partner that he had worked with the father, etc.”​

A whole lot more...

The process interests me.

Thanks for cleaning that up, Bessie!

In Reading about Melissa Montz, she reminds me of what I have been told about Eugenie: too trusting, naive, no real sense of personal safety. It's a real shame that these women who were sweet and kind died terribly. (These qualities remind me of my teen daughter).

As another aside, I have a super intelligent son who is going off to university in the fall and as we have been talking about what his major should be, and knowing he will likely end up with an advanced degree-- probably a Ph.D.-- Killing Fields has inspired him to change from engineering to sociology/anthropology/forensic anthropology.

It's truly because of Killing Fields and the human interest part and knowing my cousin was a friend of hers...

Of course, he can always change. I bought Manhein's book for him (I read it first: he's been dog sitting for someone). He has a great mind for puzzles and solving things and its always been clear there is a lab in his future.

Its interesting to think this little show could spark the fire in people starting out that they may want to help people recover and identify their loved ones so that they can be returned home and be buried.

A somewhat random thought: Montz and Bosifontaine both had cases reopened in 2015 and both were found "water logged".... La has a comprehensive database of DNA so I guess we can assume these cases aren't linked?

(Moore was also found in water.)

I know they were killed 12 years apart but I suppose that doesn't have to mean their killer is not the same person...

Getting back to DTL, which is important to remember his DNA is not associated with Eugenie, in the least: Montz, Boisfontaine, Desoto (DTL), Pace (DTL), Moore, Yoder (DTL) were LSU grad students.

Moore and Boisfontaine were both killed by a blow to the head.

Moore and Boisfontane were presumably taken from the lakes area. Montz was jogging near LSU (unsure if by lakes).

(I'm supposed to be cleaning my room but am "thought free styling")

http://www.lsunow.com/several-murde...cle_469ad423-aa79-5be0-a2cf-d223a998ca0a.html

"Anthony Moore would like to hear the police say they suspect Christine and DeSoto's deaths are linked to the serial killer though there is no scientific evidence.

"If Eugenie Boisfontaine, Desoto and Christine were not victims of the serial killer, who are their murderers?" he asked."

(Desoto was eventually linked to DTL when a private DNA lab was able to extract his DNA from her fingernail clippings)

I found that statement interesting...

Moore cause of death: blunt force trauma to back of head: http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?s=842275&clienttype=printable

Photo of Christine Moore (beautiful girl)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 16
He's not the only one asking that question. A top official in the East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office told The Advocate in January that he suspected "more than one" serial killer had been at work in the area since 1985. And after the arrest of Lee, Atlanta Police Chief Richard Pennington urged NOPD to re-examine the unsolved murders of some 18 prostitutes here in the early 1990s -- homicides initially investigated by the now-defunct Jefferson Parish-based serial killer task force.

Robert Keppel, an author and expert on serial killers, told us recently that by the time he left New Orleans in the mid-'90s some 60 cases were under investigation. "I thought there could be as many as four separate [serial killers] at work," Keppel

http://m.bestofneworleans.com/gambit/anatomy-of-an-investigation/Content?oid=1241563

My son and I were talking about this earlier today. He asked the same question many of us have been asking for years. How many SK's were operating between NOLA and BR in the 1980's-90's? And if DTL didn't kill EB, who did? I pulled up my spreadsheets and showed him this information with the long lists of victims.

1991-96 Russell Ellwood - Jefferson and St. Charles Parish SK 1991-96. Before his arrest, the prominent theory held that a NOPD detective was responsible for the "prostitute murders". Ellwood was charged with two murders, but named a suspect in as many as 15 others.

1999- 2007(?) Jeffrey Lee Guillory - Killed three women in Baton Rouge (Florida Edwards, Sylvia Cobb, Renee Newman); considered by some as a suspect in two Lafayette Parish murders (Shannon Dixon, Johnnie Martinez alleged attack survivor). Incarcerated since January 2008.

1996-2002 North Baton Rouge - In addition to the above, 10 women were murdered in North Baton Rouge; all black, prostitutes (except one), beaten and strangled. Seven were posed. At the time, they were mixed in with the DTL, SVG, JLG killings. When the dust settled, it turned out that these murders were separate from the known SK's. As of 2015 they remain unsolved. An eleventh woman, Deanna Wesley, was stabbed to death on the north side in 2004.

It's unlikely that the murders of Eugenie and Melissa Montz are related to the above (although some of Ellwood's victims were found in water). So that does leave at least one unaccounted for killer.

ETA: Regarding Christine Moore, imo, she was a DTL victim.

Moore certainly could be. Most of DTL's victims had trauma to the throat area (Pace, Kinamore, Desoto had throats cut), (Yoder, Greene strangled).... Offhand can't remember COD for Warner. ETA Warner was fractured skull from a beating http://susanmustafa.com/derek-todd-lees-victims/ )

Of course, Colomb died from a beating.

So frightening to think about...

Bessie, I wonder if we should have a Louisiana serial killers category. It would help us keep all of this straight.

I'm starting to feel like Eugenie could be a victim of DTL. The thing is-- we don't know if any of the other victims, especially the married ones, had two DNA profiles on them. (DTL plus husband)

It would also be theoretically possible that say an imaginary DTL victim who was married and having an affair could have, for instance, turned up with 3 DNA profiles or 2 and none from DTL if he left none.

It's possible EB (no judgement here: I have known women to do this in the course of my life) had sex with two different men and then happened to be
abducted by DTL the next day.

IMO, he really can't be ruled out.

I'm wondering if the book referenced earlier is correct in saying she was found very near the alligator bar, that's not where they appear to be when looking at the crime scene in episode1. Also in the same episode, when giving a rundown of the case, Rodie tells of it being 12-13 miles from the lakes. That would put it about 2-3 miles west of the bar on Manchac rd.

The tire. Was the tire brought and dumped with the body or found when dumping the body? If it was found when the body was placed there and used as a weight or cover I'm thinking it would need to be daylight to have seen it, which would be risky parking in the road long enough to carry her down in that raggedy *advertiser censored* canal. I guess two people with a plan and working quickly could have done it in around a minute or so. They don't say much about the tire.

As another aside, I have a super intelligent son who is going off to university in the fall and as we have been talking about what his major should be, and knowing he will likely end up with an advanced degree-- probably a Ph.D.-- Killing Fields has inspired him to change from engineering to sociology/anthropology/forensic anthropology.

It's truly because of Killing Fields and the human interest part and knowing my cousin was a friend of hers...

Of course, he can always change. I bought Manhein's book for him (I read it first: he's been dog sitting for someone). He has a great mind for puzzles and solving things and its always been clear there is a lab in his future.

Its interesting to think this little show could spark the fire in people starting out that they may want to help people recover and identify their loved ones so that they can be returned home and be buried.

Thank you for sharing this with us, Hiandmighty. I wish your son the absolute best in all of his future endeavors.

I know that watching The Killing Fields has had a profound effect on me, as well, and this is without the personal connection you have.

:rose:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm wondering if the book referenced earlier is correct in saying she was found very near the alligator bar, that's not where they appear to be when looking at the crime scene in episode1. Also in the same episode, when giving a rundown of the case, Rodie tells of it being 12-13 miles from the lakes. That would put it about 2-3 miles west of the bar on Manchac rd.

The tire. Was the tire brought and dumped with the body or found when dumping the body? If it was found when the body was placed there and used as a weight or cover I'm thinking it would need to be daylight to have seen it, which would be risky parking in the road long enough to carry her down in that raggedy *advertiser censored* canal. I guess two people with a plan and working quickly could have done it in around a minute or so. They don't say much about the tire.

Im 1997, the road to Alligator Bar and where she was found was a gravel road. They described it in one episode.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966
Back