LA LA - Eugenie Boisfontaine, 34, Baton Rouge, 13 June 1997 - "Killing Fields"

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hmm...I'm not so sure that's a good idea. It would get awfully confusing because there are so many

Uugh, that's depressing! "So many".....

I've lived in La all but 5 years of my life and I only knew of DTL!!!!!

To anyone new to Derrick Todd Lee (this is an aside since he has apparently been ruled not likely by DNA taken from Eugenie), this sums up the victims presented at his trial. Be warned: the descriptions are exceptionally graphic detailing what happened to them. it's horrific and beyond sad. http://caselaw.findlaw.com/la-supreme-court/1398549.html

It makes me wonder what horror Eugenie suffered before she died.

So sad. These poor women.

I find it odd that in the document in the above link, each victim was described as pretty, attractive or beautiful. Not odd that they were attractive, just odd that such descriptions were in the document.

I noticed they alternated attractive and beautiful.

The crime writer Susan Mustafa (not sure I have last name right) describes each victim in the link I posted as attractive with high pronounced cheekbones, which I thought was kinda stretching it a bit because most young women have pronounced cheekbone.

I know at least one of EB's friends and sorority sisters has said in a comment on the KF FB page that she is not happy with how EB is being portrayed by Discovery.

I assume she means when they suggest maybe she went out looking for sex because she was lonely and that is how more than one DNA profile got on her panties.

The thing is: we don't know what we don't know. My former neighbor was having an affair for 5 years and no one, including her husband, knew about it. For 5 years. (She finally confessed to her husband because they both decided to leave their spouses but when her lover confessed, his wife forgave him and said she wanted him to stay because they had 6 kids!!!! So my neighbors divorced and he stayed married and their affair ended).

Let's speculate Eugenie met a man and they went on a date or two and she is 34 and divorced and not 16 and in high school, so she decides to have sex with him. And let's speculate in an imaginary situation that a day or two later the ex husband comes to visit because he needs a signature or something and they get to talking about the good old days and they go to dinner and drink some wine and one thing leads to another and they have sex. The next day he leaves and Eugenie is abducted and killed.

This would be an very understandable way in which more than one DNA profile would be there.

On the other hand, they said the DNA came from her panties, and she was wearing a sundress and black stockings (I can't remember where I read that) so that suggests she was dressed up for something and the two DNA profiles got there at the same time.

Obviously, because she was murdered, its also very possible she was kidnapped, gang raped, murdered and dumped.

The detectives have to consider all possibilities about what scenarios could have happened and while these ideas can be unpleasant to think about, I think it is important to remember that I don't think many people, if any at all, are judging Eugenie if any of these profiles resulted from consentual sex. People are people and do things that people do.

Eugenie did not deserve to be murdered and dumped in a ditch and so I want the detectives to consider all possible options in order to fully investigate her murder.

:heartbeat: for her family and friends.

Well said, Hiandmighty. No judgment here - just want to get justice for Eugenie.

Getting back to DTL, which is important to remember his DNA is not associated with Eugenie, in the least: Montz, Boisfontaine, Desoto (DTL), Pace (DTL), Moore, Yoder (DTL) were LSU grad students.

Moore and Boisfontaine were both killed by a blow to the head.

Moore and Boisfontane were presumably taken from the lakes area. Montz was jogging near LSU (unsure if by lakes).

(I'm supposed to be cleaning my room but am "thought free styling")

I think we're gonna have to wait to see if anyone matches the DNA found because from one link you gave it said DTL did not leave DNA on every victim.

I feel they used the metal (on the pig head) found at the swamp wrong. I think that had they turned it around, the other side would have left the mark

I'm wondering if the book referenced earlier is correct in saying she was found very near the alligator bar, that's not where they appear to be when looking at the crime scene in episode1. Also in the same episode, when giving a rundown of the case, Rodie tells of it being 12-13 miles from the lakes. That would put it about 2-3 miles west of the bar on Manchac rd.

The tire. Was the tire brought and dumped with the body or found when dumping the body? If it was found when the body was placed there and used as a weight or cover I'm thinking it would need to be daylight to have seen it, which would be risky parking in the road long enough to carry her down in that raggedy *advertiser censored* canal. I guess two people with a plan and working quickly could have done it in around a minute or so. They don't say much about the tire.

I believe the author took a little poetic license with regard to the location, LR. I questioned it, myself, for the same reasons as you. Then In Episode 3 or 4, Rodie says the bar is a few miles from where EB was found.

Slightly OT but wanted to share that The Gainesville Ripper aka Danny Rolling was from Shreveport, Louisiana and it's thought that he killed three there before moving to Gainesville, Florida.

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20061022/LOCAL/210220344
DR was long gone by Eugenie's death but it's yet another source of terror for Louisiana. Glad he's no longer there.

I believe the author took a little poetic license with regard to the location, LR. I questioned it, myself, for the same reasons as you. Then In Episode 3 or 4, Rodie says the bar is a few miles from where EB was found.

I've found the spot within four miles from the bar. Interesting location, the video from the show don't quite capture the entire picture. The road itself while not heavily traveled was not exactly isolated. There's houses and farms all along it, even back then.

Now to try and find the spot on the lake. It's likely it happened there with her belongings being found the day after she was last seen, but I want to see how far from a parked vehicle she would have been led or carried. I can't think of a good reason he might have came back to the lake and discarded the items within a day. It sounded like their discovery didn't immediately throw up red flags to LE but to the family it did.

Sorry if this question has been asked by others. I rarely get the opportunity to visit the forum and do not have the time to read all posts.

Was anyone else bothered when Det. Sanchez looked embarrassed (he looked like he wanted to leave the room) upon hearing the ex-husband say he was just learning about her death?

Sanchez is hardly a shrinking violet and you would have expected him to say, "I talked to that SOB back then and he's lyin' his *advertiser censored* off!", but he didn't say that, did he? He didn't confront him on the phone call, did he?

All he said after the call was over was that it was, "... all over the newspapers and TV and how could he now know?"

Was Sanchez embarrassed that he screwed up initially? As single-minded as he is I can't imagine him not tracking the ex down (we all know it's the husband/ex-husband who did it :thinking:) and confronting him face-to-face, but he didn't, did he?

And as for the DNA question, how many times have we seen cases on TV where a dogged detective followed someone for weeks, finally getting a cigarette butt or water bottle or some other evidence discarded by the suspect and had it tested.

Maybe we'll see the ex's cooperation and agreeing to a DNA test; maybe not.

I suspect he's been eliminated as a suspect as they have carefully prevented the public from knowing his name. I suspect that was a negotiated deal -- "I'll give you my DNA if you keep my identity confidential."

Assuming that's what happened and he is no longer a suspect, now what???

Sorry if this question has been asked by others. I rarely get the opportunity to visit the forum and do not have the time to read all posts.

Was anyone else bothered when Det. Sanchez looked embarrassed (he looked like he wanted to leave the room) upon hearing the ex-husband say he was just learning about her death?

Sanchez is hardly a shrinking violet and you would have expected him to say, "I talked to that SOB back then and he's lyin' his *advertiser censored* off!", but he didn't say that, did he? He didn't confront him on the phone call, did he?

All he said after the call was over was that it was, "... all over the newspapers and TV and how could he now know?"

Was Sanchez embarrassed that he screwed up initially? As single-minded as he is I can't imagine him not tracking the ex down (we all know it's the husband/ex-husband who did it :thinking:) and confronting him face-to-face, but he didn't, did he?

And as for the DNA question, how many times have we seen cases on TV where a dogged detective followed someone for weeks, finally getting a cigarette butt or water bottle or some other evidence discarded by the suspect and had it tested.

I suspect he's been eliminated as a suspect as they have carefully prevented the public from knowing his name. I suspect that was a negotiated deal -- "I'll give you my DNA if you keep my identity confidential."

I was a little confused by that, too. At first, Rodie looked at the Major as if to say "he's full of it". Then the Major says, " I happen to know a detective spoke with you 18 years ago." After the call, there's an obvious edit, and we only hear Rodie say it was all over the papers. He didn't appear embarrassed to me, only PO'd.

Regarding collection of a surreptitious DNA sample, location might have presented a problem. Besides, they were able to learn a lot about the ex's attitude through the exchange, and I think they really wanted to see him in person and question him. IF DNA cleared the ex, then they keep looking.

I noticed what you are talking about, and to me it could go either way: either he overlooked telling the ex or he's mad.

I haven't talked to my cousin about it because as you all saw on last week's episode when they reinterviewed Kathy, they were talking about going back and interviewing Eugenie's friends. We talked once and I suggested and she agreed that we should not talk about it because it was 18 year ago and I don't want to corrupt her memory of things by discussing it and things on the message boards, etc, just in case she is called.

I'm dying to ask her these things-- was the ex at the funeral, etc.

I do think it is weird to think the ex never found out until recently.

I've found the spot within four miles from the bar. Interesting location, the video from the show don't quite capture the entire picture. The road itself while not heavily traveled was not exactly isolated. There's houses and farms all along it, even back then.

Now to try and find the spot on the lake. It's likely it happened there with her belongings being found the day after she was last seen, but I want to see how far from a parked vehicle she would have been led or carried. I can't think of a good reason he might have came back to the lake and discarded the items within a day. It sounded like their discovery didn't immediately throw up red flags to LE but to the family it did.

IIRC, the lady that found her said she was walking her dogs

I said the same things about Eugenie's best friend that's now deceased. It seemed like the 1st time they heard the name Robert was when her daughter was telling Rodie & Sanchez. Now you have me wondering if he was not questioned either. Rodie said they interviewed a lot of people, why were these 2 missed?

I feel the ex has not been eliminated, I think that we're given limited info because he lawyered up so quick

I wondered that too. Surprised no one asked. I assume it goes to their state database

During the time that Derrick Todd Lee was killing women, local and state law enforcement collected thousands of voluntary DNA samples for comparison. It was later ruled that the DNA could not be permanently placed in the database because the volunteers were not obligated by law to submit. The samples were destroyed. The only ones that could be kept would have been DNA obtained through court order/subpoena, or that would have already been required by law for sex/violent crimes offenders.

During the time that Derrick Todd Lee was killing women, local and state law enforcement collected thousands of voluntary DNA samples for comparison. It was later ruled that the DNA could not be permanently placed in the database because the volunteers were not obligated by law to submit. The samples were destroyed. The only ones that could be kept would have been DNA obtained through court order/subpoena, or that would have already been required by law for sex/violent crimes offenders.

Thanks meauxtins for the info.

Det. Sanchez seemed surprised to me, not embarrassed - but with editing, it's hard to know for sure. As thorough as Det. Sanchez is, I find it surprising that the ex was only spoken to via phone 18 years ago. Why?

And I don't buy for one iota of a second that the ex is just finding out about Eugenie's murder. If his attorneys believe him, I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale.

Hi Everyone,

I agree with others who say they find it difficult that the husband didn't know she died back in 1997. Even if LE didn't reach out to him (doubtful), he certainly would have seen it on the news and been contacted by her friends and family.

His claim that he didn't know is a pile of BS.

Eugenie's missing persons investigation was originally handled by Baton Rouge, but when her body was found it shifted to a homicide investigation with Iberville Parish Sheriff's Office. If he acknowledges that he spoke to Det. Sanchez in 1997, then it could only have occurred AFTER her remains were discovered b/c up until then it was a missing persons case handled by BR city police.
Two articles from The Advocate 1997, showing jurisdiction:
http://www.darksleuth.com/2016/01/killing-fields-eugenie-boisfontaine.html

What I find disconcerting from episode, "Family Matters":
-Detectives tell their attorney that back in 1997 they had "no" suspects. Wow... wondering why the husband wasn't at least on the list.
- Det. Sanchez says LE took the husband "at his word" in 1997 when husband said he had not spoken to Eugenie since the divorce. Why weren't LE hard on him? What hasn't the show discussed?

Which leads me to my final point. At the end of the day, the show is still a show. This doesn't detract me from watching. I want to see if the case gets solved. But it is a tv show that gets edited for a number of reasons...

Discovery needs LE's cooperation in filming, so if there was less than thorough investigative work (if that was the case) in the beginning... how much of that can Discovery really depict without offending those involved and also risking prosecution issues?

This article in The Advocate discusses the shooting schedule, 8-10 hours & how there there may be multiple takes when the crew wants to capture the detectives saying something a "certain way."

http://theadvocate.com/news/1449253...into-cold-case-homicide-shows-a-real-probe-wi

Is there any way you could pinpoint the spot you found for us? I am curious because I have been unable to locate it.

You do know that 35015 Alligator Bayou Rd, Prairieville, Louisiana is NOT the location of the bar, don't you? The bar is further along the road, to the southwest. Alligator Road becomes Manchac Road at the location of the bar. There is a sort of lake or pond across from the bar and the Manchac Bayou continues on alongside Manchac Road while there is a connection to the Alligator Bayou on the south at that point.

Its hard to describe.

7240 Manchac Rd St Gabriel, Louisiana

875.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member