GUILTY LA - Levi Cole Ellerbe, 6 mos, kidnapped, burned to death, Natchitoches, 17 Jul 2018 *arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Mother charged in infant son's death claims she's indigent

June 2, 2020

NATCHITOCHES, La. – A hearing is set Monday in Natchitoches Parish District Court to determine if a mother accused in the burning death of her infant son should get the state’s assistance to pay for her defense.

Dhu Thompson, the attorney representing Hanna Barker, of Natchitoches, filed a motion last week seeking to have his client declared indigent. He said Barker has no assets or savings to cover the expenses related to hiring experts or pay her attorney’s proposed travel expenses.
[.....]
Barker is charged with first-degree murder in the July 2018 death son, 6-month-old Levi Cole Ellerbe. Her trial is set in October in Opelousas. The Natchitoches Parish District Attorney’s Office is seeking the death penalty.
[.....]
Smith is scheduled for trial in January.

A day late - but will post anyway. :)

Monday, June 2nd:
Hearing (@ am ET) - LA – Levi Cole Ellerbe (6 mos.) (July 17, 2018, Natchitoches; died July 18, 2018; kidnapped & burned to death) – for *Hanna Nicole Barker (22) “mom”- arrested (7/25/18), charged (7/28/18) & indicted (8/9/18) with principle to first-degree murder, meaning “actual perpetrator of the crime” & 1 count of criminal conspiracy. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will seek DP.
Trial was set to begin on 1/13/20 rescheduled for October, 2020.
Court hearings from 7/28/18 to 11/7/19 reference post #505 here:
LA - Levi Cole Ellerbe, 6 mos, kidnapped, burned to death, Natchitoches, 17 Jul 2018 *arrests*

11/25/19 Update: A decision could be made on Dec. 19 on which parish potential jurors would be selected from. Thompson, defense attorney named East Baton Rouge, Tensas & St. Landry parishes as the defense's preferences, while Natchitoches District Attorney Billy Joe Harrington said the prosecution offered Beauregard, Vermilion, Jefferson Davis, Washington, Calcasieu & Lafayette parishes. Five defense motions were to be argued Monday, but Thompson asked to continue those until a decision is made on the parish for jurors & a new trial date.
1/13/20 Update: Dhu Thompson, the attorney representing Hanna Barker, of Natchitoches, filed a motion last week seeking to have his client declared indigent. He said Barker has no assets or savings to cover the expenses related to hiring experts or pay her attorney’s proposed travel expenses. Declaring Barker indigent would allow her to get state funding, the motion states. Hearing on 6/2/20.
*Felicia Marie-Nicole Smith – Last hearing on 3/10/20. Trial starts on 1/19/21.

Last edited:
Sweet Jesus, if someone asked me to shoot or burn their baby to death I’d be like ‘Great! Free baby!’ and hightail it out of town first, questions to be asked later once I find the battered women’s underground escape network.

poor wee Levi...

Unfortunately, no next court date....

Barker's counsel files motion to declare her indigent

June 2, 2020

NATCHITOCHES, La. (KALB) - An attorney representing Hanna Barker, the Natchitoches woman charged with first degree murder for the July 2018 burning death of her infant son, is asking the district court to declare her "indigent" for purposes of seeking state funding.

If granted, the state's public defender board would have to pay for expenses for experts to be hired in the case to testify and to fund her attorney's travel expenses.

Her attorney, J. Dhu Thompson out of Shreveport, said Barker has "no assets or savings."

Thompson said it's crucial for the motion to be granted, given that it's a capital case, to adequately prepare for trial. A jury will come from outside of the parish.

I had to put this link into Outline as I couldn't access it over here in Europe. Does it have a next court date in it? When I access articles on Outline they usually do not give me the "whole" article - that why I'm asking! :)

Mother charged in infant son's death declared indigent

June 8, 2020

NATCHITOCHES, La. – The mother accused in the burning death of her infant son has been declared indigent by a Natchitoches Parish District Court judge.

The only exception allowed by District Judge Desiree Dyess is for attorney fees. Hanna Barker will have to pay her attorney, Dhu Thompson. However, the remaining costs associated with her trial – such as paying expert witnesses and covering their travel expenses – will be funded by the state.

The state did not object to Barker’s request for indigent status during the hearing held Monday morning.
[.....]
Barker is charged in the July 2018 death of her son, 6-month-old Levi Cole Ellerbe. Her trial is set to start in October with jury selection in Opelousas. The actual trial will be held in Natchitoches.

The Natchitoches Parish District Attorney’s Office is seeking the death penalty.

No actual dates.

It says Smith is scheduled for trial in January at the bottom of that article though.

I had to put this link into Outline as I couldn't access it over here in Europe. Does it have a next court date in it? When I access articles on Outline they usually do not give me the "whole" article - that why I'm asking! :)

Mother charged in infant son's death declared indigent

Friday, October 16th:
*Trial set to begin (@ ET) – LA – Levi Cole Ellerbe (6 mos.) (July 17, 2018, Natchitoches; died July 18, 2018; kidnapped & burned to death) – for *Hanna Nicole Barker (22/now 24) “mom” arrested (7/25/18), charged (7/28/18) & indicted (8/9/18) with principle to first-degree murder, meaning “actual perpetrator of the crime” & 1 count of criminal conspiracy. Indicted (11/8/18) with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will seek DP.
Trial was set to begin on 1/13/20-continued to 10/16/20. Jury will be picked from St. Landry Parish, but will be tried in Natchitoches Parish.
*Felicia Marie-Nicole Smith – Trial set to begin in Jan. 19, 2021.

@Cagle - I'm just getting old articles. Is there anything local? Is jury selection going on? You seem to find recent articles! :)

TIA!
animated-smileys-waving-016.gif

Monday, October 19th:
*Trial continues (Day 2 of Jury Selection) (@ ET) – LA – Levi Cole Ellerbe (6 mos.) (July 17, 2018, Natchitoches; died July 18, 2018; kidnapped & burned to death) – *Hanna Nicole Barker (22/now 24) “mom” arrested (7/25/18), charged (7/28/18) & indicted (8/9/18) with principle to first-degree murder, meaning “actual perpetrator of the crime” & 1 count of criminal conspiracy. Indicted (11/8/18) with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will seek DP.
Trial begin on 10/16/20. Jury will be picked from St. Landry Parish, but will be tried in Natchitoches Parish
10/16/20 Trial Day 1 Friday: Jury selection begins (I think!) – continues on Monday, 10/19/20.

Tuesday, October 20th:
*Trial continues (Day 3 of Jury Selection) (@ ET) – LA – Levi Cole Ellerbe (6 mos.) (July 17, 2018, Natchitoches; died July 18, 2018; kidnapped & burned to death) – for *Hanna Nicole Barker (22/now 24) “mom” arrested (7/25/18), charged (7/28/18) & indicted (8/9/18) with principle to first-degree murder, meaning “actual perpetrator of the crime” & 1 count of criminal conspiracy. Indicted (11/8/18) with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will seek DP.
Trial begin on 10/16/20. Jury will be picked from St. Landry Parish, but will be tried in Natchitoches Parish
10/16/20 Trial Day 1 Friday: Jury selection begins (I think!) – continues on Monday, 10/19/20.
10/19/20 Trial Day 2 Monday: Jury selection continues (??) – continues on Tuesday, 10/20/20.

Wednesday, October 21st:
*Trial continues (Day 4 of Jury Selection) (@ ET) – LA – Levi Cole Ellerbe (6 mos.) (July 17, 2018, Natchitoches; died July 18, 2018; kidnapped & burned to death) – for *Hanna Nicole Barker (22/now 24) “mom” arrested (7/25/18), charged (7/28/18) & indicted (8/9/18) with principle to first-degree murder, meaning “actual perpetrator of the crime” & 1 count of criminal conspiracy. Indicted (11/8/18) with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will seek DP.
Trial begin on 10/16/20. Jury will be picked from St. Landry Parish, but will be tried in Natchitoches Parish.
10/19/20 Trial Day 2 Monday: Jury selection continues (??) – continues on Tuesday, 10/20/20.
10/20/20 Trial Day 3 Tuesday: Jury selection continues – continues on Wednesday, 10/21/20.

Wondering if they have picked a jury yet??

Thursday, October 22nd:
*Trial continues (Day 5 of Jury Selection) (@ ET) – LA – Levi Cole Ellerbe (6 mos.) (July 17, 2018, Natchitoches; died July 18, 2018; kidnapped & burned to death) – for *Hanna Nicole Barker (22/now 24) “mom” arrested (7/25/18), charged (7/28/18) & indicted (8/9/18) with principle to first-degree murder, meaning “actual perpetrator of the crime” & 1 count of criminal conspiracy. Indicted (11/8/18) with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will seek DP.
Trial begin on 10/16/20. Jury will be picked from St. Landry Parish, but will be tried in Natchitoches Parish.
10/16/20 Trial Day 1 Friday: Jury selection begins – continues on Monday, 10/19/20.

10/20/20 Trial Day 3 Tuesday: Jury selection continues – continues on Wednesday, 10/21/20.
10/21/20 Trial Day 4 Wednesday: No idea what is happening. Continues on Thursday, 10/22/20.

No idea what is going on here - for all I know - they probably continued this trial.... @JerseyGirl - you seem to find recent articles - anything on this trial yet? TIA! :)

Friday, October 23rd:
*Trial continues (Day 6 of Jury Selection?) (@ ET) – LA – Levi Cole Ellerbe (6 mos.) (July 17, 2018, Natchitoches; died July 18, 2018; kidnapped & burned to death) – for *Hanna Nicole Barker (22/now 24) “mom” arrested (7/25/18), charged (7/28/18) & indicted (8/9/18) with principle to first-degree murder, meaning “actual perpetrator of the crime” & 1 count of criminal conspiracy. Indicted (11/8/18) with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will seek DP.

10/21/20 Trial Day 4 Wednesday: No idea what is happening. Continues on Thursday, 10/22/20.
10/22/20 Trial Day 5 Thursday: Again no info on this trial. I guess it continues on Friday, 10/23/20.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kristens5487
Back