Found Deceased LA - Michael Nickelotte, 21, Baton Rouge, 18 Sept 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Has anyone checked to see if he took any of his Marine Corps issued gear with him? If he was planning on leaving he might have packed up a bug out bag of sorts or gathered up his field gear and tools (sea bag, sleeping bag, boots, survival kit, MREs, etc.) and taken it with him.

PFTs are done annually, if you fail you only get one or two chances (depending on CO/Unit) to retake it before the next PFT. Typically, Marines don't get promoted with a failed PFT. They aren't allowed to go to OCS school or be commissioned as an officer either. Unless he has a medical waiver or temporary disqualification he wouldn't be promoted.

Great question. But can you carry all that on foot or a bike? Would all that fit in a backpack? I have no idea what amount of space or weight that would entail.
Has anyone checked to see if he took any of his Marine Corps issued gear with him? If he was planning on leaving he might have packed up a bug out bag of sorts or gathered up his field gear and tools (sea bag, sleeping bag, boots, survival kit, MREs, etc.) and taken it with him.

What exactly is a PFT? TIA
PFTs are done annually, if you fail you only get one or two chances (depending on CO/Unit) to retake it before the next PFT. Typically, Marines don't get promoted with a failed PFT. They aren't allowed to go to OCS school or be commissioned as an officer either. Unless he has a medical waiver or temporary disqualification he wouldn't be promoted.

Marines are trained to carry over 100lbs of gear on foot. They routinely carry an enormous amount of weight on foot patrols, hiking in adverse terrain, etc. etc.

Physical Fitness Test
All Marines have to be physically fit to serve. They have annual PFTs as well as CFT (combat fitness test).

There are several hurricane Harvey shelters and disaster relief teams around SWLA and Texas. Easy access to food and shelter.

Do you know what he was doing before he went to the bathroom and walked out the door?Was he in his room playing games on the X-Box or whatever? We know he was at his parents with "school work", but what did he do when he got back to his apt.?Was he in his room, the "common area", did he eat, socialize? So many questions and I can't imagine what his parents are going through!
When family and friends met this past Sunday he said the most unusual thing was that he brought home schoolwork.

golden_darkness: your comments here have been priceless; thank you for helping your friend. Do you know if he drank alcohol / beer (in general)? Meaning, do you think it's possible he - for example - had already had a couple beers so didn't want to drive, so maybe he grabbed a $20 and his bike and ran to get more beer at a convenience store? This is all totally hypothetical, but I'm just asking if this is possible. Or do you think he maybe took off on his bike to go swimming to clear his mind, maybe? Or to go sit off somewhere quiet to clear his head, like on top of the levee where the trail starts (pretty view there)? What do *you*, as someone his age and a friend of his, think would be a probable explanation for him to (for example) grab his bike and head out at 1:00am for (possibly) just a little bit? What would your best guess be? You're close in age, similar lifestyles (college, young, etc.), you know your friends' general behaviors. Just curious what your best guess would be, and/or if anything I suggested above might be possible, with you knowing Michael. Thanks again!

My theory: Can't sleep. Quick trip to mail a letter or drop off a library book? Hit by a car. Accident covered up by someone, Michael & bike hidden.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

It would take about 1 hour and 20 minutes each way. I know some parents who made their children drive it after a bad first year at LSU.

Good point. Maybe he felt all hope was lost if he couldn't get the promotion? Definitely something to keep in mind.

Marines are trained to carry over 100lbs of gear on foot. They routinely carry an enormous amount of weight on foot patrols, hiking in adverse terrain, etc. etc.

But how reasonable is it to carry on a bike? Would that throw off the balance? Michael rides his bike to class so he has his backpack on him usually, but would gear (even just a little) be too much to carry?

Do you know what he was doing before he went to the bathroom and walked out the door?Was he in his room playing games on the X-Box or whatever? We know he was at his parents with "school work", but what did he do when he got back to his apt.?Was he in his room, the "common area", did he eat, socialize? So many questions and I can't imagine what his parents are going through!

I think he was playing video games with his friends from what I have heard others say since, but I'm not entirely sure.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaexo21
Back