LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anybody clear up whether BW & MS left Artmosphere in BW's car (if he has one) or were both on bikes? I'm seeing both versions.

Look at BW's instagram feed. Half of them are pics of MS and the other half, for some strange reason, are of food he's either eaten or about to eat. Food and MS. This guy I'm telling you is in love with this woman. Yes, they've been friends forever and "they're only friends" blah blah blah. Remember this fact of life so eloquently put by Harry in "When Harry Met Sally":

Harry: We could never be friends.
Sally: Why?
Harry: Because no man can be friends with a woman that he finds attractive. He always wants to have sex with her.
Sally: So, you're saying that a man can be friends with a woman he finds unattractive?
Harry Burns: No. You pretty much want to nail them too.

I've been in the Friend Zone. Not a fun place to be. Maybe after all these years he made one more push to be de-friended and be be-boyfriended and got rejected.

This whole theory is blown out of the water if he's on the pink team.

I sure am glad that I'm not being judged by my instagram pictures. I have about 15 of the same person fire hooping because THEY asked me to take them! And 5 more of someone else in their swimsuit because THEY asked me to take them for their blog. There are 6 of her, out of 83. Not half.

To say that men cannot be friends with women they find attractive is ignorant. Should I assume that all of my male friends think I'm ugly? How can someone make such definite statements like "he's in love with her" without knowing anything more about the person? MOO, but that's ridiculous.

Just my :twocents: - this case is a bit strange for three reasons IMO:

Seems there was a big delay in getting her reported missing and LE swinging into action. (Though traveling late at night, she and friend don't appear to have system to communicate she arrives home okay).

Seems with all the people around just after bar closing time, and all the surveillance cameras around, she should have been seen, but appears not to have been.

Finally, and to muck things up, there's a carnival rolling into town and setting up in proximity to her route.

The carnival is worrisome for two reasons: the obvious one, the transient element associated with it.

The second, and more worrisome, is that it draws thousands and thousands of people to that particular area of town that normally wouldn't be there ...both from all of the little outskirt towns but also from the northside of town (being blunt here ...but Lafayette remains segregated to a great degree; the northside is a very poor area with high crime, with areas the police will not go into alone, very different from the southside of town and campus, which is where the carnival sets up).

While the carnival is in town there are throngs of people on the streets in that area, walking towards downtown (and the northside of town) after the carnival closes (late, maybe midnight?), right past the Ryan Street area. People just wandering, part of the crowd, large groups of guys, people looking for marks, etc.

BW has said that they biked back to his house from Artmosphere and then drove to Taco Bell to get food, drove back to his house and she left on her bike from there. The thought here is that the Taco Bell lobby is closed that late at night and you can't go through the drive thru on bikes.

BW has said that they biked back to his house and then drove to Taco Bell to get food. The thought here is that the Taco Bell lobby is closed that late at night and you can't go through the drive thru on bikes.

Ohhhhh, I see. Thanks!

This is close to home, I'm in Baton Rouge. What a beautiful girl. Reminds me of one of Antique French Porcelain dolls. I pray she is ok.

BTW, if you are local and would like to help, they need office supplies like legal pads and power strips!

I-10 runs right through these States and also close to the Mexican border.

Map showing I-10 from Lafayette to California

http://g.co/maps/b3x5m

I've done that Lafayette to Ca drive on I-10. It's about 26hrs. I did it in 3 days, it's a very long quiet highway in many areas. New Mexico and parts of TX specifically. I'd never seen so much... Nothing...before.

Have any FBI profilers come forward to offer their perspectives in the MSM? I can't find any such interviews, but I think it's important the community has the opportunity to hear some professional opinions.

ETA: I see Pat Brown covered MS on JVM, but I didn't get to see the airing so I'm not sure what was discussed. Guess I'll poke around for a transcript.

I still keep thinking that if I was tired and feeling sick...and hungry...I would just eat and try to find a friend who would drive me home in the car. Oh how I wish this is what Mickey would have done.

My daughter is 21 (just became a college grad ~ Woot, Woot!)...she works at a local restaurant in a nearby town. One night a week she is the closer and has to stay till 3. It drives me nuts because I just can't sleep till she's home. I just know that panicked feeling when I wake up in the night and I think she's not home yet. I'm sure Mickey's parents are sick with worry. My heart goes out to them.

I've seen comments regarding the routes she might have taken home, left on Parkside to meander through the Saints Street, area but after thinking about it I think it's possible she very well may have just headed right to Congress Street from Ryan (a matter of seconds from BW's house) and then turned left on Congress. This would have taken her straight down to her home at the other end of Congress.

This is her most direct route, a major thoroughfare.

I had a friend in the 80's who lived at 101 Ryan, across the street from BW (and I lived there with her for a few weeks). Even years ago, this was a dangerous area for a single female. My friend was raped at 101 Ryan in the middle of the day. I was always very leery when I was there and aware of my surroundings even before this happened. Directly across Congress is one of the worst areas in Lafayette.

If she did indeed start her route at Congress right near the intersection of Ryan it is my opinion that she would have been in immediate grave danger. The area across Congress is known as "The Block" (S.St. Antoine, Bienville, Royal, LaSalle streets), a heavily drug-infested area, street walkers all times of the day and night, very high crime, a decades-old ghetto) ...but if you get clear of it in a matter of minutes (once you cross University) you're in a much better area.

Just my two cents .... but that's an area to be avoided at all costs.

I've seen comments regarding the routes she might have taken home, left on Parkside to meander through the Saints Street, area but after thinking about it I think it's possible she very well may have just headed right to Congress Street from Ryan (a matter of seconds from BW's house) and then turned left on Congress. This would have taken her straight down to her home at the other end of Congress. This is her most direct route, a major thoroughfare. I had a friend in the 80's who lived at 101 Ryan, across the street from BW (and I lived there with her for a few weeks). Even years ago, this was a dangerous area for a single female. My friend was raped at 101 Ryan in the middle of the day. I was always very leery when I was there and aware of my surroundings even before this happened. Directly across Congress is one of the worst areas in Lafayette.
If she did indeed start her route at Congress right near the intersection of Ryan it is my opinion that she would have been in immediate grave danger. The area across Congress is known as "The Block" (S.St. Antoine, Bienville, Royal, LaSalle streets), a heavily drug-infested area, street walkers all times of the day and night, very high crime, a decades-old ghetto) ...but if you get clear of it in a matter of minutes (once you cross University) you're in a much better area. Just my two cents .... but that's an area to be avoided at all costs.

BW said that she checked her mace and he told her to "stay safe" and then off she went at about 1:45AM. Did he state that he actually saw her go south on Parkside Drive (away from Congress) and toward St. Landry Street? Or did he make that assumption because that was her regular route?

BW said that she checked her mace and he told her to "stay safe" and then off she went at about 1:45AM. Did he state that he actually saw her go south on Parkside Drive (away from Congress) and toward St. Landry Street? Or did he make that assumption because that was her regular route?

I've not heard that anyone is sure of the route she took. I do know that the route that's previously been discussed is a much more circuitous route ....and longer, quite a bit longer, with lots of twists and turns. If her goal to get home quickly (tired, not feeling well) outweighed her thoughts of safety by just a smidge, she would have directly taken Congress. It's just one long, smooth shot.

The risk assessment she did if she did take this route would have concluded, "Just a hop and a skip to University Ave and then I'm safe, and I've saved a lot of time."

I've seen comments regarding the routes she might have taken home, left on Parkside to meander through the Saints Street, area but after thinking about it I think it's possible she very well may have just headed right to Congress Street from Ryan (a matter of seconds from BW's house) and then turned left on Congress. This would have taken her straight down to her home at the other end of Congress.

This is her most direct route, a major thoroughfare.

I had a friend in the 80's who lived at 101 Ryan, across the street from BW (and I lived there with her for a few weeks). Even years ago, this was a dangerous area for a single female. My friend was raped at 101 Ryan in the middle of the day. I was always very leery when I was there and aware of my surroundings even before this happened. Directly across Congress is one of the worst areas in Lafayette.

If she did indeed start her route at Congress right near the intersection of Ryan it is my opinion that she would have been in immediate grave danger. The area across Congress is known as "The Block" (S.St. Antoine, Bienville, Royal, LaSalle streets), a heavily drug-infested area, street walkers all times of the day and night, very high crime, a decades-old ghetto) ...but if you get clear of it in a matter of minutes (once you cross University) you're in a much better area.

Just my two cents .... but that's an area to be avoided at all costs.

If it is still like that today? I wonder how often she bikes from this friend's house? Have they come back more then one time and gone in the car to get something to eat? I know when I was in college i would do patterned things. If I went out with a certain friend we would always go to the 24hr diner to end the night. Someone near the friends house could have seen her come over several times before so when they dropped the bikes off and got into the car he probably knew she would be back for the bike. When she came back to head home on her bike he was ready. Not too sure of this scenario but I hope they are checking out his neighborhood thoroughly.

If it is still like that today? I wonder how often she bikes from this friend's house? Have they come back more then one time and gone in the car to get something to eat? I know when I was in college i would do patterned things. If I went out with a certain friend we would always go to the 24hr diner to end the night. Someone near the friends house could have seen her come over several times before so when they dropped the bikes off and got into the car he probably knew she would be back for the bike. When she came back to head home on her bike he was ready. Not too sure of this scenario but I hope they are checking out his neighborhood thoroughly.

It's worse today. There's a little creepy store right across Congress from that intersection from Parkside. It doesn't matter what time of day or night I drive by there, there are guy's loitering. Bunches of teens, older guys with nothing to do, just hanging there. All black. (Facts are facts.) They watch, yes. It's definitely not safe to be a pedestrian in that area, ever. Even in broad daylight.

Most of the homes on the Ryan street side of Congress right in that area have wrought-iron bars on the windows and doors. The Block is an area that you instinctively know to avoid, it screams danger.

I just cannot imagine that she thought she was safe leaving a home on Ryan Street alone at night, even heading left on Parkside.

I've not heard that anyone is sure of the route she took. I do know that the route that's previously been discussed is a much more circuitous route ....and longer, quite a bit longer, with lots of twists and turns. If her goal to get home quickly (tired, not feeling well) outweighed her thoughts of safety by just a smidge, she would have directly taken Congress. It's just one long, smooth shot.

The risk assessment she did if she did take this route would have concluded, "Just a hop and a skip to University Ave and then I'm safe, and I've saved a lot of time."

I agree. Even if that part of Congress is dodgy there are still quite a few homes on that stretch -- which for me would mean: if someone chases me I can scream and someone should hear me... And a shorter route would be better methinks.

It would seem that BW either saw her go south on Parkside Drive or he didn't see which direction she went at all.

Just my :twocents: - this case is a bit strange for three reasons IMO:

Seems there was a big delay in getting her reported missing and LE swinging into action. (Though traveling late at night, she and friend don't appear to have system to communicate she arrives home okay).

Seems with all the people around just after bar closing time, and all the surveillance cameras around, she should have been seen, but appears not to have been.

Finally, and to muck things up, there's a carnival rolling into town and setting up in proximity to her route.

I am thinking of three separate cases i have been reading about here, all three of which have carnivals set up right beside the person going missing.

This case, Kathryn Markham, and a very old case from the 50's, in Idaho, a 12 yr old boy, named Lonnie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCpsyche