LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the stolen bike could be connected. If the perp was stalking her for awhile, he may have wanted BW's bike out of the way. Increased the chance that Mickey would bike alone.

There are 2 strange coincidences between BW and MS - B bike stolen, M bike found in water. Cell phones both turned off at approximately the same time. Too many coincidences here. I'd love to know what LE knows but OTOH, I'd rather they keep it to themselves until they take someone into custody.

I may be completely wrong, but I don't think she was hit by a vehicle either accidentally or on purpose. I think there is more behind this story. I agree with your post, Eskimo. There are just so many possibilities!

When I was a kid, we could play outside all day all over town and we were all safe. These days kids can't play in the front yard alone.

Did I not read that he had gotten the bike back? Does anyone know if that was true?

i think i read that they found it within a strange amount of time, like maybe a couple of hours, abandoned in some bushes by a church maybe? ill have to see where i read that, but just those circumstances sounded strange to me.

edit to add, another poster just answered that it was found within a few days....im trying to find where i read that, but its very possible it was inaccurate. : )

Would a vehicle have access to the multilevel garage at night, and is it used at all during the daytime?

Hi WS. I've been reading these threads for days. I have lived in Lafayette since I was 14,(am 33 now), and I believe whoever did this is here in Lafayette parish. JMO:notgood:
Lafayette is a major 'do good medical industry here'; Very religious city. Goodness pervades. But these hospitals and goodness centers get staffed by transient delivery workers. I do not know if these workers rotate as much as medical staff do around the country. Most medical staff travel a LOT. I suspect delivery personnel do too. For that reason, I do not think it would be a local Cajun who is in 'the catchment area' of a hospital trying to provide wellness services to a rather affluent population. I think the PERP was a transient worker through town; the fair, delivery personnel, etc. Even the religious affiliates are pretty much stable and do not travel much in this area. I am leaning toward a service industry individual as the PERP.

I agree. For one thing we have seen the pics from the camera across the street from Circle K, but nothing from any cameras mounted at the Circle K. Wouldn't a gas station have a camera or two?
I'm sure they have cameras, but they might have a close, narrow range of view.

Hello, everybody. I'm a long-time lurker on Websleuths- going back maybe even a decade. I tried to open an account back in the day, but wasn't allowed to open one with Yahoo/Hotmail/Whatever anyone else was using back then. I'm pleased to have finally broken through to the other side.

I'm interested in and follow many criminal cases, so I look forward to speaking with all of you in the future.

The Mickey Shunick case is of particular interest to me, as I happened to visit Lafayette, LA for the first time the day Mickey went missing. I moved to New Orleans late last year, and have been a bit slow in getting to know the surrounding region.

In any case, I arrived in Lafayette in the late afternoon of Saturday, May 19th, around the time Mickey Shunick was declared missing. I knew little about the town, and based my explorations upon suggestions from friends and a nice guy who worked in a bike shop on Johnson Street. My partner and I are in our mid-30s, and asked the bike shop worker where a good place for newcomers to hang out might be. He suggested that we walk around Jefferson Street and the Saints Streets area, and we headed there immediately. In a strange coincidence, we walked most of the streets that I'd later find out Mickey Shunick had passed about 15 hours earlier.

We saw no signs of a search, and I only found out about this case days later, happening upon a sign in New Orleans. I truly wish I'd known about this, because I would have kept an eye out for skid marks, or broken bicycle parts, or something.

All of the posters here are astute, and I'm so glad to read everyone's input. However, I do feel the need to point out that Mickey Shunick didn't seem to be riding her bike or hanging out in a sketchy part of town. If anything, it seemed to me to be the trendiest thing that Lafayette has going. Jefferson Street, where Artmosphere is located, appeared to be the major local hang-out for anyone who wants to walk around. The surrounding streets have a similar draw. I saw many, many people of all ages frequenting restaurants, shops, and bars.

I"m a walker, myself, and passed by the corner where Ms Shunick was last seen, as well as the route that she took to get there from her friend's house. Any suggestions that she was risking her life by setting foot in the area, or must have been purchasing illicit drugs to be there seem very misguided. It was an area typical of the sort of place most people look for when they're going out for a bite of food or a drink. From my non-local's perspective, the area seemed as normal as normal can be.

The Saints Street area is where the lines drawn by the town converge.. Crime is more higher and expected north of the area around St. John.

Of course, crime is everywhere in the city and one should always be very alert of their surroundings, IMO.

Did I not read that he had gotten the bike back? Does anyone know if that was true?
Yes, someone posted umpty billion threads ago ;) a link to a FB with the reunion of Bretty and his bike.

Hello, everybody. I'm a long-time lurker on Websleuths- going back maybe even a decade. I tried to open an account back in the day, but wasn't allowed to open one with Yahoo/Hotmail/Whatever anyone else was using back then. I'm pleased to have finally broken through to the other side.

I'm interested in and follow many criminal cases, so I look forward to speaking with all of you in the future.

The Mickey Shunick case is of particular interest to me, as I happened to visit Lafayette, LA for the first time the day Mickey went missing. I moved to New Orleans late last year, and have been a bit slow in getting to know the surrounding region.

In any case, I arrived in Lafayette in the late afternoon of Saturday, May 19th, around the time Mickey Shunick was declared missing. I knew little about the town, and based my explorations upon suggestions from friends and a nice guy who worked in a bike shop on Johnson Street. My partner and I are in our mid-30s, and asked the bike shop worker where a good place for newcomers to hang out might be. He suggested that we walk around Jefferson Street and the Saints Streets area, and we headed there immediately. In a strange coincidence, we walked most of the streets that I'd later find out Mickey Shunick had passed about 15 hours earlier.

We saw no signs of a search, and I only found out about this case days later, happening upon a sign in New Orleans. I truly wish I'd known about this, because I would have kept an eye out for skid marks, or broken bicycle parts, or something.

All of the posters here are astute, and I'm so glad to read everyone's input. However, I do feel the need to point out that Mickey Shunick didn't seem to be riding her bike or hanging out in a sketchy part of town. If anything, it seemed to me to be the trendiest thing that Lafayette has going. Jefferson Street, where Artmosphere is located, appeared to be the major local hang-out for anyone who wants to walk around. The surrounding streets have a similar draw. I saw many, many people of all ages frequenting restaurants, shops, and bars.

I"m a walker, myself, and passed by the corner where Ms Shunick was last seen, as well as the route that she took to get there from her friend's house. Any suggestions that she was risking her life by setting foot in the area, or must have been purchasing illicit drugs to be there seem very misguided. It was an area typical of the sort of place most people look for when they're going out for a bite of food or a drink. From my non-local's perspective, the area seemed as normal as normal can be.

Welcome StreetcarRider. I see you are from the city of my birth!

Would a vehicle have access to the multilevel garage at night, and is it used at all during the daytime?

I don't know. I think it would be possible to go around a simple lever though...if I'm picturing the set up right. You can access it from St. Mary and St. Landry.

We can't be sure kitty is actually here.
36cupe.jpg

Sorry so OT! I have a thing for Schrödinger's cat jokes.

hehe, good one

I agree that the St. Landry camera (where the car was caught) is probably crappy and only films every few seconds, thus missing her riding buy and missing the truck heading towards University. But the camera by the circle K looks like a pretty good camera that records constantly. Even if it were only every few seconds, with its wide viewing angle it shoudlve caught that car. So I strongly believe that either LE is holding that photo, or the car never turned there. Meaning it was down St. Landry first and made a block back up onto University

Or any potential sightings from the Circle K camera were recorded over since it was so long before LE got the footage we were shown.

I'm sure they have cameras, but they might have a close, narrow range of view.

Maybe that's why LE hasn't asked the public to identify the cars parked and/or getting gas at the Circle K then. They could check inside/outside cameras at the Circle K and register/credit receipts to determine who was there when Mickey rode past.

There are 2 strange coincidences between BW and MS - B bike stolen, M bike found in water. Cell phones both turned off at approximately the same time. Too many coincidences here. I'd love to know what LE knows but OTOH, I'd rather they keep it to themselves until they take someone into custody.

I may be completely wrong, but I don't think she was hit by a vehicle either accidentally or on purpose. I think there is more behind this story. I agree with your post, Eskimo. There are just so many possibilities!

When I was a kid, we could play outside all day all over town and we were all safe. These days kids can't play in the front yard alone.

Wonder if BW turned his phone off every night??

Do any locals know if the cemetery in the area where Mickey was last seen was searched, especially any crypts/tombs that had loose stones or covers?

Or any potential sightings from the Circle K camera were recorded over since it was so long before LE got the footage we were shown.

Yeah, you're probably right. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it said at today's press conference that LE assumed Congress as her route. That's why it took so long to get the footage they do have...but I swear St. Landry has been the route that Find Mickey's FB page had from the beginning. I remember b/c I thought that's not how I would do it.

Do any locals know if the cemetery in the area where Mickey was last seen was searched, especially any crypts/tombs that had loose stones or covers?

That would be very creepy to go and check and I would probably be arrested promptly if anyone saw me doing that. I really have no idea if its been searched already or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne