LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, that would not be the case. The hospital would do everything they could to notify next of kin. On the other hand, if Mickey were conscious and she requested no one be notified, her care would be strictly confidential.
If it were me in Mickeys shoes and I was in a hospital with the whole world searching for me, I would let them know I was OK asap. Doubt she is in a hospital.

I think the stolen bike could be connected. If the perp was stalking her for awhile, he may have wanted BW's bike out of the way. Increased the chance that Mickey would bike alone.

that would also explain why the bike was tossed aside. why steal a bike to toss it away a few blocks down the road? unless it was stolen by an unruly kid, or someone stealing it out of spite.

I think it is suspect that someone accidentally hit her and then took her in a panic. Wouldn't that type of thing be on one of the surveillance cameras? Or is there a pretty good distance between cameras?
I understand your logic, nutkin, but the fact is that something happened and it was not captured by the surveillance cameras.

ETA: Not directed at you, nutkin, but I think we all tend to put too much confidence in security surveillance cameras, and not just in this case.

I am doubtful that the friend's bike being stolen is related...bikes are stolen all the time...and I think Mickey was a victim of time and place, more than personally stalked.

Bikes are especially stolen here all the time...in a 2 month span, in a very safe neighborhood!, we personally had two bikes and a lawnmower stolen. One of the bikes was stolen from our garage while we had the entry way door open and we were unloading groceries from the car. I couldn't believe the nerve of that jerk! Anyway, it was probably unrelated, but there's no way to be sure until we know exactly what happened (if then!)

Please post all of them! :)

Btw, your TJ is absolutely adorable...he waved and smiled so cute...totally understand you taking that one down tho...smart. :hug:
admitting to the freakout about the white truck in the 3rd video; that is my voice! sorry everyone. laugh please.

I understand your logic, nutkin, but the fact is that something happened and it was not captured by the surveillance cameras.

If she stayed on St. Landry, she would have been captured by a camera 20 seconds (-ish) after being caught on the one she was last seen on. According to LE, she was not seen on another camera...so either it happened very quickly off camera, LE is leaving something out, or she turned off really quickly (Brashear, or the parking lot through LCG leading to Azalea). Once on either of those streets, cameras would all be residential which isn't all that common here.

I know, but I think someone accidentally hitting her would be more noticeable than say, someone lurking in the dark shadows and pulling her off the bike towards them. I don't know how likely that is. I am not really familiar with that area of Lafayette and I am sure there are areas that the surveillance cameras don't show.

this is on versailles, right before the university intersection. there is a middle school across the st, hence the speed limit school zone sign

Have I got this right? This pic was taken shortly after Mickey left BW's house?

Chicken fried, I assume that is your Flyer that is being circulated around Facebook. It looks fantastic! Great work!

Being on vacation isn't a good thing right now because I'm missing out on everything. What was the thing about the money being given to non-profit orgs after search efforts cease? Someone want to clarify?

Someone tried to steal my boyfriend's bike off of our front porch the other day. A guy knocked on the door and it is customary for us to really look out the peephole before opening the door (bad neighborhood). I guess since no one opened the door and our car was not here, the guy thought no one was home, and he picked up the bike and started walking off with it. Of course, my boyfriend immediately opened the door and told the guy he was lucky he didn't shoot him or call the cops. The guy put it down and ran.

The thing that is nagging at me is this: Why is there no picture of the car turning onto St. Landry in front of the circle K? This is obviously the best camera of the four. Why wouldn't they give us a good shot of the car? Leads me to believe they are holding it for a reason....or the pictures are not in the order we think. The picture of the car on St. Landry came FIRST and then they circled around and got caught on University.

Likewise, why is there no picture of the truck on the St. Landry cam BEFORE the pic in front of circle K as he turns left onto University. This leads me to believe that either A: The camera on St. Landry isn't always recording, or B: He came from the Brashear streets and was never caught on that particular camera.

Assuming that camera is always running, that truck would have had to come form the Brashear area (the 1st truck) and with him turning left on University and being caught at 1:51am, that would put him in the Brashear area at around 1:49 or so. The same time Mickey would've been back there. Again, all assuming that camera is constantly running. If not, there is no way to know if she or the truck passed that camera and she made it further down St. Landry.

But what we DO know, is that for some reason there's no pic of the car turning onto St. Landry in front of the circle K which means either LE is holding it....or they never turned there.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/

Click on this newspaper link and scroll down on the right side you'll see a mugshot of somebody they picked up today in St. Martin parish where the basin is that the bike was found in. Can't link the mugshot direct.

Locals please correct me if I'm wrong.

The bike was found in Iberville Parish, not St Martin

It's because of the Zodiac killer who DID taunt the cops and the community.

So have others. But that is like...one in hundreds or thousands of killers, though. Maybe one in a hundred serial killers? I don't know the stats, but I know it is uncommon.

Shelly and Becky~

In your first video (with cute young son who shall remain nameless waving from the back seat) there is a bus that stops to pick people up/drop off at a stop--might be near the Circle K. I am wondering if the public buses run that late at night, and also if they have cameras inside?
If so, there might be a driver/passengers that witnessed something, or at least saw Mickey at some point.

I don't think the buses run that late anymore. It seems like they had night owl service for awhile (I don't know if it was ever that late, though) but seems like they suspended that after people weren't utilizing it?? Sorry, I don't use public transportation, maybe someone else will know for sure.

Found an answer:
Night Service Runs from 6:30 PM to 11:30 PM Monday-Saturday.

The thing that is nagging at me is this: Why is there no picture of the car turning onto St. Landry in front of the circle K? This is obviously the best camera of the four. Why wouldn't they give us a good shot of the car? Leads me to believe they are holding it for a reason....or the pictures are not in the order we think. The picture of the car on St. Landry came FIRST and then they circled around and got caught on University.

Likewise, why is there no picture of the truck on the St. Landry cam BEFORE the pic in front of circle K as he turns left onto University. This leads me to believe that either A: The camera on St. Landry isn't always recording, or B: He came from the Brashear streets and was never caught on that particular camera.

Assuming that camera is always running, that truck would have had to come form the Brashear area (the 1st truck) and with him turning left on University and being caught at 1:51am, that would put him in the Brashear area at around 1:49 or so. The same time Mickey would've been back there. Again, all assuming that camera is constantly running. If not, there is no way to know if she or the truck passed that camera and she made it further down St. Landry.

But what we DO know, is that for some reason there's no pic of the car turning onto St. Landry in front of the circle K which means either LE is holding it....or they never turned there.

I'm sitting here doing exactly the same thing that you are, trying to figure out just how these photos come together. I'm just not finished yet, thinking.

So how did the perp get her bike there?

I was speaking in reference to the questions regarding why the volunteer search being postponed until Thursday and to illustrate the challenges at hand. This interstate exit connects with a series of gravel roads that generally branch out to the north and northeast with the two boat ramps being the exceptions.

It was just my guess that fishermen found the bike near or at the western boat landing . One landing is directly under the highway at the pilot channel just west of the eastbound exit, the other ramp is big Alabama bayou that is east of the exit. I hope this makes more sense, obviously the close easy areas have been searched.

This is a guess, but alot of those security cameras don't work like true video. They just take stills every 5 seconds or so.

They could've sped through with a green light and never even of been picked up by that camera.

Seriously lmaoooo..... anyway on to this

A busted rear rim, its tire dislodged, as well hand grips that were separated from the handle bar is the latest news in the Mickey Shunick case since her black Schwinn bicycle was found submerged in the Atchafalaya Basin Sunday morning by fishermen near the Whiskey Bay exit on Interstate 10.

Can you picture this, Mickey is riding along, gets hit from behind, she has a death grip on those handlebars and dislodge, she goes flying. I can, I can see it happening.
I think it is more likely she put up a good fight and dislodged those grips in that fight. If I was using my bike to hit, knock my PERP - he and I might be fighting over those handlebars. I think she did everything she could to this PERP!

I really think LE is withholding some surveillance video.

Hello, everybody. I'm a long-time lurker on Websleuths- going back maybe even a decade. I tried to open an account back in the day, but wasn't allowed to open one with Yahoo/Hotmail/Whatever anyone else was using back then. I'm pleased to have finally broken through to the other side.

I'm interested in and follow many criminal cases, so I look forward to speaking with all of you in the future.

The Mickey Shunick case is of particular interest to me, as I happened to visit Lafayette, LA for the first time the day Mickey went missing. I moved to New Orleans late last year, and have been a bit slow in getting to know the surrounding region.

In any case, I arrived in Lafayette in the late afternoon of Saturday, May 19th, around the time Mickey Shunick was declared missing. I knew little about the town, and based my explorations upon suggestions from friends and a nice guy who worked in a bike shop on Johnson Street. My partner and I are in our mid-30s, and asked the bike shop worker where a good place for newcomers to hang out might be. He suggested that we walk around Jefferson Street and the Saints Streets area, and we headed there immediately. In a strange coincidence, we walked most of the streets that I'd later find out Mickey Shunick had passed about 15 hours earlier.

We saw no signs of a search, and I only found out about this case days later, happening upon a sign in New Orleans. I truly wish I'd known about this, because I would have kept an eye out for skid marks, or broken bicycle parts, or something.

All of the posters here are astute, and I'm so glad to read everyone's input. However, I do feel the need to point out that Mickey Shunick didn't seem to be riding her bike or hanging out in a sketchy part of town. If anything, it seemed to me to be the trendiest thing that Lafayette has going. Jefferson Street, where Artmosphere is located, appeared to be the major local hang-out for anyone who wants to walk around. The surrounding streets have a similar draw. I saw many, many people of all ages frequenting restaurants, shops, and bars.

I"m a walker, myself, and passed by the corner where Ms Shunick was last seen, as well as the route that she took to get there from her friend's house. Any suggestions that she was risking her life by setting foot in the area, or must have been purchasing illicit drugs to be there seem very misguided. It was an area typical of the sort of place most people look for when they're going out for a bite of food or a drink. From my non-local's perspective, the area seemed as normal as normal can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seng Naw