LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
do not get "caught up" on small details... explore them, but don,t get stuck on them...

all the trucks and cars could be everything... or nothing at all.
the pics show ONLY this fact... she was seen on camera at two locations
everything else seen in the pics is speculation.

it could be that the fbi has people searching for a white truck to misdirect a possible suspect that drives something other than this "white truck"...

keep your mind open to ALL possibilities and explore them in detail, "especially" if they are in a different direction EVERYBODY ELSE is going

this is my opinion

peace

True. Neither white trucks nor Olds 98 may be the perp. Perhaps LE saw yet a different vehicle they believe was the perp and these other 3 are VOI specifically as possible witnesses. Maybe they have kept some other vehicle under wraps and not released any pics. You never know!

There are plenty of opportunities for the truck to be caught on camera on University/I-10...if they can pinpoint exactly what truck they're looking for. There's a red light camera on Madeline/University as well as I-10/University, not to mention cameras from the weigh station on I-10. But with as many white trucks as this area has, it's like finding a needle in a haystack, even when you're looking at footage from 2-3 am.

I would think it's not likely at all that they took Louisiana Ave. to get to I-10...it would be much more direct to go down University to I-10, or even take Congress to the Thruway to hop on to I-10.

They should let us look at all the video they have. Could be a way to find that needle in the haystack

Very true. Thats why I felt it prudent to clarify what the police have said from the beginning.

Yes, two trucks, but the same truck isn't traveling both ways at circle k. That is a key detail, because if that were the same truck it'd be extremely suspicious.

Again, I just think its a key point that based on what police have said, the trucks at circle k going opposite directions are two different trucks.

I'm no expert, but I'll defer to the FBI. I think its key we discuss the evidence based on what we've been told and work from there. Too much speculation or misinformation just leads to confusion. Keep in mind that these are poor quality photos and experts in law enforcement have stated what I presented.

That's what I needed to know. Thank you

i'm not familiar with investigations, but the police are checking into this stuff, right? cameras en route whiskey bay? i'm a little disappointed that someone posted earlier that the circle K clerk said YESTERDAY that the police was in there looking at more footage. YESTERDAY?? that should have been last week!! maybe i'm jumping to conclusions. i don't want to rag on LE too much. hopefully they were looking at the footage AGAIN for the 10th time rather than the first.

maybe their looking at later/recent footage to see if any of those vehicles happen by again recently?

Question for any of the locals or search volunteers. Has there been ANY talk of where the disturbances took place or what kind the night MS went missing? I know there was talk shortly afterwards, but I don't recall hearing anything more since. TIA

I keep staring at all the truck pictures. I'm honestly confused. Has LE said that pics #1 and #6 are the same truck? My understanding was that #1 was one truck and #s 2 and 6 were another, but I admit that I could be wrong. I am a stickler for accuracy so I would never want to point anyone in the wrong direction.

From the second picture release:

Update 5/26/12: Detectives have provided an updated picture of the initial vehicle of interest and the pictures of two additional vehicles that were in the area during the same time frame when Mickey Shunick was last captured on surveillance footage. The first truck (Picture1) drove from the area that Mickey had traveled. It is evident from the new photo that the vehicle has a bed cover and tinted windows. The second truck (Picture2) is a white 4 door Chevrolet Z71 that traveled in the same direction of Mickey on St. Landry Street.

Picture #1 is an additional photo of the truck in picture #6, released earlier. It is descrbed as a "new" photo of that vehicle, in addition to the original photo. Following that, a photo of a second, different truck, picture #2, is released.

for some reason, i woke up this morning thinking there would be new headlines getting us closer to bringing Mickey home. i guess the tire tracks?

I just can't seem to keep up on these threads so I'm still on the last thread.

I see people are saying you can't have your phone on searches. I was there Saturday and went out (it was under TES) and they said keep your phones with you, but put them on vibrate. No pictures allowed, no video, no talking on the phone during searches. Our instructions were to call our team leader if we found anything suspicious and secure the area. Our cell phone numbers were on the roll sheets, if we didn't return at the meeting spot at the time designated (as was the case once with a girl), they called us on our cell phones. Otherwise we could easily have been lost in the woods we were searching.

I'm just saying if you can go when/if searches resume then don't not go because of the no cell phones rule. That was not the case when I went on Saturday.

do not get "caught up" on small details... explore them, but don,t get stuck on them...

all the trucks and cars could be everything... or nothing at all.
the pics show ONLY this fact... she was seen on camera at two locations
everything else seen in the pics is speculation.

it could be that the fbi has people searching for a white truck to misdirect a possible suspect that drives something other than this "white truck"...

keep your mind open to ALL possibilities and explore them in detail, "especially" if they are in a different direction EVERYBODY ELSE is going

this is my opinion

peace

I like your way of thinking! I tried to apply this way of thinking in other cases here as well. Sometimes what is staring at us in the face is not necessarily where the focus should be.

I thought of the bike scenario this morning and how I felt it didn't make any sense. Then I thought....ok if we know she was on the bike, what kind of perp would take her and the bike and why? Some implied it was to buy time. ok. But then we have the perp driving to the river's edge to dump the bike and leaving tire marks. Why?

and so on and so on......

Of course, I don't have the answers and it is very difficult to put yourself in the criminal's mind but thinking outside your own comfort zone, will lead to some discussion and hopefully some answers.

IMO

True. Neither white trucks nor Olds 98 may be the perp. Perhaps LE saw yet a different vehicle they believe was the perp and these other 3 are VOI specifically as possible witnesses. Maybe they have kept some other vehicle under wraps and not released any pics. You never know!

Or maybe the vehicles are not connected in any way. Maybe a person on foot is responsible.

Since we don't know, zeroing in on a single aspect might not be the best course of action for LE.

From the second picture release:

Picture #1 is an additional photo of the truck in picture #6, released earlier. It is descrbed as a "new" photo of that vehicle, in addition to the original photo. Following that, a photo of a second, different truck, picture #2, is released.
My apologies. I misunderstood. Thanks for correcting me :blushing:

Which really tells us very little, lol, she had to make a turn somewhere on Landry to get to Johnson, the question is, where on route riding along on Landry, did she make a turn, and what cams could have caught her making that turn.

She wouldn't have ever technically been ON Johnston, though. If she took Coliseum, she would have gotten onto the bike path next to the Blackham Coliseum and never actually reached Johnston. She would have rode parallel to Johnston for only 20 seconds or so before the path would have taken her parallel to Cajundome Blvd.

There are several cameras along St. Landry, she wasn't seen on any of them. In order for that to happen, she HAD to turn onto Brashear or cut through the parking lot to get to Azalea. If she went down Brashear to get to Johnston, a business would have picked her up on camera going down Johnston, and people *would* have seen her riding, since it would have a fair bit of traffic at 2 am. If she went down Azalea, a camera would have picked her up once she got to Cajundome Blvd, which it didn't.

I just can't seem to keep up on these threads so I'm still on the last thread.

I see people are saying you can't have your phone on searches. I was there Saturday and went out (it was under TES) and they said keep your phones with you, but put them on vibrate. No pictures allowed, no video, no talking on the phone during searches. Our instructions were to call our team leader if we found anything suspicious and secure the area. Our cell phone numbers were on the roll sheets, if we didn't return at the meeting spot at the time designated (as was the case once with a girl), they called us on our cell phones. Otherwise we could easily have been lost in the woods we were searching.

I'm just saying if you can go when/if searches resume then don't not go because of the no cell phones rule. That was not the case when I went on Saturday.

Thanks for clearing that up. Like I said yesterday, I'm definitely willing to go back regardless of the phone issue, now that my kids are staying with my parents for a few days. I am confident they can take care of my son's medical needs if necessary, but while he was with a babysitter, I needed to have my cell phone handy and be ready to leave and pick him up asap if something happened. I do hope that either LE has a break soon or they let volunteers continue search efforts.

so how long after the last camera footage of mickey do they speculate she was taken? i attended LSU and UL, but don't remember much about the UL area in terms of streets other than the names, but not where they connect. i commuted from Broussard. honestly, i have a terrible sense of direction and college campuses REALLY turn me around.

Knowing 'local speak', I wouldn't take this to literally mean she was not on St. Landry. It may, but it may not.

I was thinking the same. People say "Where'd ya get that?" and someone answers "Oh, I ordered it offline instead of online. Or, "She lives off Hwy such and such" meaning she lives ON Hwy such and such. Plus, we have been told she has NOT been seen on any other surveillance past what's been shown, so no other streets "off" of St. Landry. I think he just meant ON St. Landry. Say what you mean, and mean what you say.

I guess I'm in the minority in thinking the perp didn't use University to get to I10. There are two traffic cameras that could easily read license plates that he would have had to pass. He avoided those. If he's from the area he would know they were there. If he wasn't he would have seen them coming (there are signs saying that one is coming up). He would have turned off University and cut over to the thruway and got on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Little boston