LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope that at least LE let the family know well ahead of heading out there tonight.

I just want to quietly say that if they do find her at Whiskey Bay, I hope they can tell it's a drunk-driving accident, for the family's sake. That would be a small, but real, comfort, considering the alternative.

Absolutely agreed, chicken.

I can feel thousands of people holding their breaths. It's a phenomenally humbling and painful experience.

Well I certainly hope they find Mickey, but also hope it's not on live tv...

I think the police would not allow the news there if they suspected a body, but I'm probably wrong, because why else would they be there searching this late at night in the first place?

My heart hurts.

I used to work for a local newspaper and as long as you are on public property, i.e. the road or even city/parish property, the police cannot keep you from being there. They can restrict how close you are, but they cannot keep the media away. They also cannot tell you what you can and cannot take pictures of as long as you are on public property.

MOD NOTE: Do not copy and paste posts from social media pages. You can reference comments from approved social media pages and provide a link, but direct quotes are not allowed. Likewise for comments following news articles.

I'm starting to get confused. The rules are not so clear-cut in our new media age.

Are we determining that because one of the prominent local news broadcasters is putting an announcement on their social media page, we can't report it the same as if it were on TV?

What are we going to do when the whole world goes onto Facebook, and all news reporting is then banned, and then this blog has no information to discuss?

I'm just being rhetorical,so please take it in the spirit of discussion, not defiance, but I can see where Facebook is upsetting a lot of traditions. I also see how a lot of NEWS reporting is going onto Facebook. The reporters need to remember that not everyone belongs to Facebook, and when they start making news available only on Facebook then they are abandoning significant portions of the populace to ignorance of the goings-on.

I don't want to jump to conclusions or anything yet. I'm trying to remain optimistic. Maybe they found clothing or something, or her phone. I know that's not comforting either but it's better than the possible alternative. Some people on other sites are acting like Mickey is already dead and we can't think like that yet :( Let's just pray for her family and all who love her. I pray for strength and hope, for all of us.

Just like when there was news the my coworker died in a helicopter crash on Monday, I held out hope until it was confirmed. (RIP Capt LeBron) I will do the same here. I will hold on to the hope that she is still alive.

RIP Capt LeBron. Such a sad story. I prayed he would be found as well. The waters in the Gulf can be unforgiving.

KATC from the Wiki link (see first post this thread) LE confirming "potential additional evidence" found during the second Whiskey Bay search. Live report @ 10 p.m. CDT.

Another local here - first post, been lurking for what seems like forever. Looks like KATC will have live feed from Whiskey Bay @ 10pm tonight.

Please let us know if there is a link. That's about 8 minutes away! thanks

I don't want to jump to conclusions or anything yet. I'm trying to remain optimistic. Maybe they found clothing or something, or her phone. I know that's not comforting either but it's better than the possible alternative. Some people on other sites are acting like Mickey is already dead and we can't think like that yet :( Let's just pray for her family and all who love her. I pray for strength and hope, for all of us.

But they would not be out searching in the dark. The LE has got something to make then go out there NOW imho

KATC from the Wiki link (see first post this thread) LE confirming "potential additional evidence" found during the second Turkey Bay search. Live report @ 10 p.m. CDT.

*Whiskey

They didn't say, and I'm not going to assume because we have had way too much speculation lol. Someone suggested that I keep posting what I've been posting every couple pages, just doing what I was asked to do.

Did you see my post a few pages back? That quote you keep posting doesn't really clear things up for the people who haven't been reading through all the previous posts and threads. Those people are still under the assumption that both gas station photos are of a z71, and probably the same z71. Your quote doesn't really address that, so maybe if you updated it to say there is only ONE photo of the vehicle of interest, and LE has stated the gas station photos are of different vehicles, maybe that will help?

Searching......in the dark. :( Doesn't sound very hopeful.

Praying for the Shunick family.

I just want to quietly say that if they do find her at Whiskey Bay, I hope they can tell it's a drunk-driving accident, for the family's sake. That would be a small, but real, comfort, considering the alternative.

Sane drunk drivers with any kind of redeeming qualities don't throw a bike or a body into a swamp in an attempt to cover their tracks! Whomever did this deserves life in jail with no parole (if a body is found there), and if anything the local government of Louisiana should go out of their way to secure Whiskey Bay from all the drunk *advertiser censored* disrespectful Cajun rednecks who want to turn a preserved wilderness area into a dumping ground for trash and bodies.

Good grief, in the dark with the mosquitoes and who knows what else!
I just said that to my husband. If the bears don't eat you, the mosquitoes will. I don't mean to make light of the situation at all, but I would think only a matter of extreme urgency would bring them back out there at night.

I used to work for a local newspaper and as long as you are on public property, i.e. the road or even city/parish property, the police cannot keep you from being there. They can restrict how close you are, but they cannot keep the media away. They also cannot tell you what you can and cannot take pictures of as long as you are on public property.

That's mostly true. But they can close off a public area if it's an active crime scene. All they have to do is announce that you need to move and block off the area. Using that approach, they could block off quite a large area. But they probably don't have the personnel to block off all areas near the search site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3