LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right. If she's not on the camera further down St. Landry (where the car was picked up) then she either went down Brashear or into the LCG parking lot to azalea. Thats the only way to avoid the camera. OR into the parking lot itself where the camera is located because it only points at the street.

Have you come across any police on Brashear? I have not and can't understand why since your argument seems so logical. Has anyone seen police or volunteer searchers on Brashear?

Sometimes I wonder about the methods LE uses because some of the cases I've been following aren't getting solved. So why not tell the public everything they know and see if that helps to catch the perp. At this point, what difference does it make since the perp is still on the street anyway?

Then I remember that LE has to think ahead as far as they can, all the way into the courtroom. If they handle things willy-nilly, the defense lawyers will have a field day defending a guilty perp and the case will become based on loopholes and how LE messed up, etc. LE's job is made more difficult, just like government, because things are too complicated. Make sense? That's my grade school level explanation of conclusions I've come too. :blushing:

Woe.be.gone, imo, most departments aren't prepared, nor equipped for the enormous amount of resources required in abduction/missing person's investigations.
Like you, I have followed & researched many abductions/missing persons cases and sadly they seldom get solved, especially when it is stranger related.

Could it be that the handle grips remain on the bike and that was LE's way of telling the perp - we're testing the handle grips and we're gonna getcha?

Have you come across any police on Brashear? I have not and can't understand why since your argument seems so logical. Has anyone seen police or volunteer searchers on Brashear?

No. I walked the most likely bike path to Johnston though. I looked for cameras and didn't see any and nothing on the road or anything. The neigborhood is quiet and houses very close to the street. Nice neighborhood. Some beautiful homes in that area. A little hidden gem in the middle of Laffy.

Chicken fried and I both think it may be the truck in question and may have been circling back after taking MS. Think she would have ducted in to the parking lot---he followed and trapped her somehow...or the truck may have driven and lay in wait where she would have exited.

I was never hit, but almost did hit a child in a urban setting. I was driving down a small downtown side street and the child came out of nowhere from an alley. Didn't slow down or look. You talk about heart failure! This could work in reverse also...car coming out of an alley and may have struck her back wheel. Also had a near miss where I was driving down an alley looking at property for sale and a homeowner pulled out of his driveway without looking first... our cars were within a inch of each other after we stopped..and I had just purchased mine that week.:what: Many alleys in that area of Landry?

The ID of the vehicle in the background of the "Olds" photo has not been established, or ruled in or out, I don't think. It looks to me like yes, it is one of the two trucks being discussed. The timeline is very tight. If that's the perp truck, it would have to have been almost an instantaneous grab.

Comparing the timestamps we have, if I lean, I lean toward that "truck" I think I see being Truck #2 ("bed-cover truck") that has been ruled out by police. But not sure. The ID of that "truck" in the background of the car photo has not been established, I don't think.

For Chicken Fried!! Could you please read my post (#93-pg 4) & give me the answers I'm looking for re: the Whiskey Bay bridge area? TIA!

Tom has lived in Louisiana for "25 or 26 years," Ann said. He graduated from Monmouth College and was a geologist/palentogist for Texaco. The family lived in Lafayette, La. Mickey, who went missing two days before her 22nd birthday, studied anthropology.

Another aunt who also resides in Monmouth, Peggy Harris, said it is hard being several states away while the search is ongoing.

"All we can do is pray. I feel helpless," she said.

Harris said Mickey's sister, Charlie, has been a pillar of strength since her sister disappeared. The 24-year-old has set up a Facebook page and web page and has been conducting interviews, all to keep her sister in the public's eye and spread the word.
http://www.reviewatlas.com/news/x639968181/Search-on-for-daughter-of-Monmouth-native

Nope. A few people here and there. Not a whole lot of searching going on in that area, period

Hi Everyone! I've been lurking around for the past week and spent the last few days reading.. trying to catch up on all that was posted.
Ya'll are so welcoming.. I wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

Way back in these post is was brought up that maybe she choose the route she did she did because she wasn't going straight home. Maybe she was going to visit a "friend" who lived in the saints street area. I had bee kind of wondering this myself. Otherwise, it seems the congress route home would have made more sense for someone not feeling well/tired.
Anybody thought maybe she actually made it to where ever she was going and that's where something happened to her? I know since the damaged bike has been found the focus is on the idea that she was hit. But I just can't believe that she was hit or taken by force and there is NO evidence on the street somewhere. (Although I do agree that we don't know everything).

I've also wondered why, In everything I've read, the idea that something was wrong didn't really occur until she didn't show up for her brother's graduation. At least that's the way its been presented.I haven't read or heard anything about the family being concerned because she wasn't there that morning. If that's that case, maybe it wasn't unusual for her to occasionally stay out all night and the family not know ahead of time. They could have assumed she would be at the graduation, because it was important to her.
But- in such a close family on this important day- wouldn't they call and and make sure, that morning, that everything was ok. And when they couldn't get her on the phone, start calling her friends? ----> These are just my wandering thoughts- coming from being in a close family, as a former 21 year old who occasionally stayed out all night without telling her parents and now as a mom.

FMSN FB saying they need "foot soldiers and searchers" now (10 mins ago)...

https://www.facebook.com/findmickeynow

It is normal for the volunteer searchers to dwindle after 10 days of searching due to many factors; exaustion & personal issues. Wished they would offer boarding or barricks for out of town volunteer searchers from adjacent states to reduce expenses. I am sure there would be a positive response which would give the LA community volunteers a temporary break.

i have a question for any locals here...
there is a building with a blue stripe along the top in the biker route video... i believe it was a hospital or garage...
looking only at that building... is there any section of the blue stripe anywhere on that building that could be described as newer looking then the rest of the stripe?

i am aware these places have already been searched... but this is a question that is not based on any logical reasoning...
IN what picture is the blue stripe you want investigated? Can you post it?

I really hope all the business'/people who were on vacation in the area of Brashear have checked cameras if they have them. I was surprised to see members on here yesterday say they were still finding people in the area who did not know of Mickey.

If she did not pass the camera further down St Landry and nor did the truck, there was a turn somewhere..maybe a chase or a point where the truck cut her off?

Anyone know if the takeout shown on google maps to be on Dunreath street has footage?

Chicken Fried, thanks for your geography lesson on the waterways around Lafayette. It helped clear my head and gave me a better understanding.

Regarding disclosure of information, understand that if/when this case is solved and someone is arrested, while we will obviously know more information (i.e. the suspect's identity) there will still be a majority of information that is still not disclosed to the public. As someone stated earlier, finding MS and the suspect are one thing, a conviction still has to be obtained.

I have to wonder...if MS was still alive and someone had her hidden then why not bring the bike to this great hiding spot also? IMO, the fact the bike was found is not a good sign as far as the possibility of her still being alive. I wish otherwise, but my heart tells me it's not likely.

It is normal for the volunteer searchers to dwindle after 10 days of searching due to many factors; exaustion & personal issues. Wished they would offer boarding or barricks for out of town volunteer searchers from adjacent states to reduce expenses. I am sure there would be a positive response which would give the LA community volunteers a temporary break.

They do. Out of town searchers can get cheap rooms at the hilton on congress

2. both the pic of MS and the truck of interest have the same cars at the gas station. Not only that there is yet another pic of the same two cars at that gas station (in which there is again no time). When I am gassing up it is quick; I rarely see the same car by me when I am pumping as when I am returning from payment (and I usually use a debit card). So what I am saying is that there is a long span of time in which these pics were in the vicinity of the gas station; and for that reason I think the truck of interest may be going as slow as MS on her bike. Which would freak me out as a bike rider. If the truck was going that slow and MS was slow, I am not surprised they did not make it to the next camera; truck and MS at same pace, ripe for BAD STUFF.

If I am driving near a cyclist, I slow down. And Mickey wasn't just casually biking at 5-10 mph, she was an avid cyclist and the timing of her travel from BW's to the Circle K pic indicate she was travelling quickly, 15-20 mph by my math. He wouldn't have had to be going 'that' much slower than her. Especially if they happened to cross over just as a light changed or something.

The truck had to have been relatively close behind Mickey. But realistically, it takes 5 minutes, or even longer, to go inside and pay and then pump gas, so without a time stamp it's hard to say. You can hear a truck behind you, I would think that if he had been following her at a close distance, she would have made an attempt to cross over to the Circle K parking lot and go inside--common sense safety rule. She wouldn't have continued down a dimly lit road. And she would have had time to do so, since there was no truck right behind her when her pic was snapped. It would have taken just a few seconds to cross the street if she felt threatened.

What about the possibility of her going through the funeral home parking lot? This lot also gives access to the neighborhood...

I just looked at it on Google Earth. I don't think so. If she were going to go that far, just cutting through the FH parking lot takes her back the way she came - it's a total backtrack. She'd have to go over the bridge over the coulee behind the FH and then go back the way she came. I believe that any shortcut through the neighborhood would have been from the LCG parking lot.

Not saying that if she realized she were being chased, she DIDN'T duck into the FH parking lot. But that raises the same scenario I already raised... her being pursued by the truck into the neighborhood.

I think that if the truck indeed was the perp, she was abducted in the LCG parking lot or in the neighborhood behind. A.C.I. thinks more like Brashear. As he and I batted about last night, it's critical whether she knew she was being followed, #1, and #2, whether she intended to take St. Landry or the neighborhood behind the FH and LCG, or take Johnston St.

That's an open issue, though I have my stated preference.

SO, she also could have been taken after going down Brashear. That's A.C.I.'s opinion. You have mine.

As I said last night, if the truck is NOT the perp, then under A.C.I.'s theory, she was taken somewhere on a Brashear-Johnston-Cajundome Blvd-Congress ST. route.

Under my theory, if the truck was not the perp, then she was taken somewhere on an LCG-Azalea-St.Mary-Souvenir Gate-Cajundome Blvd-Congress ST. route.

If there is no photo of the white truck coming back, then it may not be the perp at all.

Again -AGAIN - the critical piece of video is whether the truck showed up on camera at 224 St. Landry - after MS did not!! Much hinges on this.

Chicken Fried, thanks for your geography lesson on the waterways around Lafayette. It helped clear my head and gave me a better understanding.

Regarding disclosure of information, understand that if/when this case is solved and someone is arrested, while we will obviously know more information (i.e. the suspect's identity) there will still be a majority of information that is still not disclosed to the public. As someone stated earlier, finding MS and the suspect are one thing, a conviction still has to be obtained.

Yes and it's not like disclosure of the info will help get a conviction either. (Still reeling over the Casey Anthony trial). It does make me wonder if Louisiana has a similar law to the sunshine one in Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maktub