LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 - #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tire marks: Near the bike, police also say they found tire marks from a vehicle that was driving off the road's side leading police to believe the vehicle placed the bike there

With the bike's condition, police have also revealed their discovery of off-road tire tracks near the bridge where the bike was found.

I'm curious about the use of the phrase "off-road". Does this mean the tire tracks were from an "off-road" vehicle, such as a 4-wheeler? Otherwise, why not just say "revealed their discovery of tire tracks near the bridge"? The use of the phrase "off-road" could describe the type of vehicle that was used. Other than 4-wheelers and dirt bikes, what kinds of vehicles could be considered "off-road"?

I take it to mean tire tracks which were not on the road. In the mud, at the water's edge. They did say the tire tracks were at the water's edge.

I take it to mean tire tracks which were not on the road. In the mud, at the water's edge. They did say the tire tracks were at the water's edge.

What are the chances of "off road" tire tracks being in the exact location of where the bike was found??? I see no reason for anyone to drive up to the edge in that location because it is quite a drop down to the water.

I honestly can't make heads or tails of it. Yes, there is some light source under the truck, no, it's not there when Mickey passes. And it's not the light source that bothers me so much, as the tire. The tire is partially obscured by something, on both sides of it. If it ran over a bump, would the tire look like it was in the shape of a V like it does on that shot? I don't know, unless the tire was under inflated.

for what its worth...

here is a new gif (done quickly) ignore other truck... its just there to give us one more frame from the same camera

http://i48.tinypic.com/2942on9.gif

:woohoo

I am confused, my original post is not on the thread?

Did you write a post about two bike riders behind the funeral home? If you did, I could not find it and I did not see it under your profile.

But I think it was someone else.

Moderators: Was it deleted?

Have you all discussed the whether the lights on Mickey's were broken or not-If so-I won't begin a convo about it!

Wad the light broken when the bike was found? I am curious about that.

So, does anyone remember the name of the poster who said something about someone seeing two bikers riding behind the funeral home, one with a backpack? The (2?) posts about it were deleted...I'm assuming by a mod?

It seriously irks me when people show up dropping tidbits of information and then vanishing into thin air leaving no evidence they were ever even here!
2 possibilities...the poster deleted their own post (for whatever reasons), or a Mod/Admin deleted it (for whatever reasons).

I don't want to go any crazier ;) trying to figger it out.

JMO but best for all of us to move forward in this discussion. :)

About seeing two riders behind the funeral home? I could not find it and I did not see it under your profile.

Moderators: Was it deleted?

I don't think we are supposed to discuss deleted posts with the mods, or it may seem like we are confronting them or criticizing them. jmo

for what its worth...

here is a new gif (done quickly) ignore other truck... its just there to give us one more frame from the same camera

http://i48.tinypic.com/2942on9.gif

Well now that you do it that way, I'm able to see a white spot in front of Mickey's bike, glowing, very small, but there. So, just maybe what we are seeing is light reflections?

Personally, I've been open to any and all possible theories in this case from the get-go. But the more information gets hashed out, and the more I analyze, I'm starting to believe more strongly that Shunick left her last known location in a less-dramatic fashion than is usually speculated.

The likely location where she vanished has both residential houses and open businesses, yet no one heard a crash or scream. No evidence of Shunick's bike, person, or belongings has been found anywhere near the scene, despite massive searches. Shunick had what's believed to be a functioning telephone on her person, but made no calls.

A kidnapper's primary goal is generally to snatch the intended person and get as far away as (s)he can, as quickly as possible. Yet Mickey's bike and belongings were also removed from the scene. Sure, it's possible that any of these items were left behind for someone else to pick up, but given the time frame and location of the believed bike drop, that seems extremely unlikely. The most logical explanation is that Shunick's person, bicycle, and belongings were all removed from the scene at the same time.

Given that it was dark, the bars were letting out, and multiple cars were passing on the street, I would imagine that all of these things were transferred to a vehicle quickly. Would someone conducting a planned kidnapping take the time to subdue and restrain the victim, pick up and pack a bicycle, then sweep the streets for debris and belongings? Is one person really capable of doing all that? And would two or more people go along with it, with no leaks, noise, or attention? That would require almost military-level precision. It seems to me that someone looking to snatch and grab would want to work fast, grabbing the thing they wanted and leaving everything else behind.

On the other hand, a person with no malice who negligently hit and injured someone on a bike might be compelled to collect the belongings of the victim. Maybe the driver didn't realize how serious the injury was, and nervously packed up the bike and purse, thinking that the victim would be even more upset to find they'd been left behind. Taking the time to pack up the bike would give this person a few seconds to breathe, gather thoughts, and figure out what the next course of action should be.

In this scenario, it's possible that Shunick was injured/stunned, but still mobile. Perhaps she was injured enough that she trusted the driver to take her to help, and it's possible that the driver even seemed like a trustworthy or benign person (female, elderly, scared teen, whatever). The biggest flaw in this speculated situation is that Shunick didn't use her phone to call for help herself, as I see it.

A closed-head injury seems a likely possibility when imagining this case. People who've had serious blows to the head are often alert (albeit confused) and mobile shortly after the blow- the extent of the damage becomes more evident as the brain swells.

This is all just my own personal speculation, of course, but I'm curious to see if any of you can point to holes in the logic, as I'm afraid I've missed something.

That info was not disclosed. They kept the condition of the bike under wraps for a bit, then gave us info that the back wheel was slightly damaged and the hand grips were removed and found separately. They made no mention of the light(s), AFAIK.

Typically if LE refers to "off-road" tire tracks they're referring to a tire tread pattern that's distinctively different than a normal passenger tire. They have deeper, wider grooves and a more aggressive pattern to them that would help with traction in dirt or mud.

.......as in a Z71

Still waiting for my camera to charge.

Can you tell us who said that?

The reporter on the scene said this:

I was back out there yesterday and got a better look. It's a good 15- to 20-foot
dropoff from the land to where the water is -- very steep and very rocky. It
makes it easier to see why police are not 100 percent sure whether the damage to
the bike came from a hit-and-run or something else. Just my personal opinion,
but it definitely looks possible that a bicycle could get damaged if someone
threw it in that terrain and that distance. But I don't have any other
information or details, that's just a personal observation

me to-as I think it can tell us a lot-like if she was hit from behind on pavement-in a parking lot-glass should have been found in the area or maybe
she was hit from behind in a grass area and the light did not break-and if LE found bike with lights not broken-the perp did not throw it from bridge-IDK-I am not good at this sleuthing thing-thats why I just read a lot and play cheerleader to you all!!!!

I don't think we are supposed to discuss deleted posts with the mods, or it may seem like we are confronting them or criticizing them. jmo

oh okay perfectly fine. I guess that poster can PM a mod if she wishes to discuss and it's none of our beeswax. Thanks for the reminder. Don't want to get in trouble.

Bike was found mostly submerged, according to Cpl. Mouton's presser

Other posters here have reported their sources say the water went down 4 feet between the disappearance and bike discovery.

Logic says the bike hit the water, not land, or hit the land and bounced into the water.

The question not answered is when the bike was put there. LE says when they think it was put there, but honestly, who could say, unless there were a dated newspaper wrapped around it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne