LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 - #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honey, Cajuns aside, by the way, my mother was a Cajun, if they aren't informing the public then the public is NOT going to be able to help them. Unless of course they already have all the answers, then that's fine.

That's what I said a bit ago. Not asking the CajunNet to help is losing a big resource. And big lies in murder cases can bite back pretty hard if uncovered. Not informing is different from a lie. They have said they have no further footage.

BUT -when did LE say that? If they reviewed the 216 footage the next day and she was there, they wouldn't have been lying the day before, now, would they?!

That's what I said a bit ago. Not asking the CajunNet to help is losing a big resource. And big lies in murder cases can bite back pretty hard if uncovered. Not informing is different from a lie. They have said they have no further footage.

BUT -when did LE say that? If they reviewed the 216 footage the next day and she was there, they wouldn't have been lying the day before, now, would they?!

Nope, but then why not put it out to the public? Like, well, we found that Mickey made it further down Landry than we had first thought.

Do you have a reference or link where I can read more about this? I don't believe this information is correct (how could an electronic device without any power communicate with GPS satellites?) but I've been wrong before. The link you posted does not support your statement: the relevant quote there is, "This means that in instances where a fugitive or other missing person has a GPS enabled cell phone (and that the phone has power when being polled, or pinged) that the cell phone can be located within a reasonable geographic area- some say within several feet of the cell phone." (emphasis mine)

I apologize, I should have been clearer. I will find links for you, but I wanted to clarify quickly. The statement "does not require battery life" is wrong. Basically, what I meant was that even if a smartphone is turned off, it can be tracked. There are applications that can remotely turn on the GPS on your phone using very minimal battery to track it's whereabouts. This is for theft recovery purposes. Then it will turn it off again. But, if the phone is destroyed completely this is not possible. But, powering down a smartphone does not mean it cannot be tracked.

I was just trying to make the distinction between Mickey's non-smartphone and newer models. Basically explaining that once her phone was turned off there was no way to track it or remotely turn it on to track it, but that a gps-equipped phone would have that capability. But, that in Mickey's case, her phone was being "pinged" until it was turned off.

I will now employ the "it's late excuse" for my crappy (and factually incorrect) explanation.

Samehere.

A quick question about the forum, will we be put in time out if we "thank" a lot? Is there a limit?

Gosh, I hope not! I'm in a grateful mood tonight.

Seriously -- not that I know of.

Anybody know the exact model phone Mickey had? I believe someone has posted that info before, but -- no idea where in all these threads! I think the poster said they had a similar phone (LG EnV2 I think, which is what I have ... I think) except that Mickey's was a "slider".

I'm just thinking -- that phone would not be THAT old. Seems some phones are kind of "halfway" between smart and non-smart phones, sort of crossover phones, if you will. I'm wondering if hers might not actually fall in that category.

It looked like an lg cosmos.

What if she met someone at Artmosphere who invited her to his home? What if he lived off of Brashear? What if she wrapped up her evening with BW planning to head to this guy's home without letting anyone know? What if the as-yet-unknown text was from him, looking for ETA, impatient. What if once she got there things went horribly wrong? What if he dumped the bike in an attempt at misdirection and in order to discourage any suspicion of the houses in the neighborhood? What if the only reason LE is looking at white trucks is for someone who may have seen her in order to narrow down her last known vicinity? Is she being held there? How plausible of a scenario is this?

Some sort of relationship/acquaintance element is quite possibly in play.

If it's not a random grab and she wasn't under the wheels of that blasted vehicle, there's gotta be something else going on.

Not ruling anything out until it's been proven and made public. Hence, my user name. Jury's still out.

not really. but lake martin is the halfway point of the really back (local) way to courville road. and yes, that is where RM lives. certain things just keep pointing that way. but honestly, i have no idea. pure speculation.

McGee was questioned and released. We know nothing more about that line of investigation.

Also, the rumors say McGree does have a Z-71. Which, combined with his accident, put him high on the suspect list. But it is an extended cab, not 4-door. Police say we are looking for a 4-door.

I apologize, I should have been clearer. I will find links for you, but I wanted to clarify quickly. The statement "does not require battery life" is wrong. Basically, what I meant was that even if a smartphone is turned off, it can be tracked. There are applications that can remotely turn on the GPS on your phone using very minimal battery to track it's whereabouts. This is for theft recovery purposes. Then it will turn it off again. But, if the phone is destroyed completely this is not possible. But, powering down a smartphone does not mean it cannot be tracked.

I was just trying to make the distinction between Mickey's non-smartphone and newer models. Basically explaining that once her phone was turned off there was no way to track it or remotely turn it on to track it, but that a gps-equipped phone would have that capability. But, that in Mickey's case, her phone was being "pinged" until it was turned off.

I will now employ the "it's late excuse" for my crappy (and factually incorrect) explanation.

But cannot accept that MS turned it off herself before leaving BW's.

St. Julien was her regular route the guard said. Look at a map - makes lots of sense.... can cut to Cajundome without the creepy lonely roads near Blackham.

Well...it also makes sense, when looking at a map, that she would go straight from Ryan St. to Congress to home. But that's obviously not what she did.

In any case, none of us knows just yet what happened as she rode down St. Landry. I think that's what is the most maddening to me: I've driven that area thousands of times. How could she just up and vanish? Nary a trace, nary a sound. It's like a Bermuda Triangle case, without the pesky ocean to swallow all that evidence.

I hold out hope that she is actually still alive somewhere, but I recognize that this possibility grows dimmer with every passing second. The discovery of the bike, and the LE saying they believe it was placed there the morning of her disappearance, makes it seem, to me, very likely that someone was disposing of evidence of foul play. But still I hope.

And I'm just some schmoe who never met Mickey. I can't imagine what the family is going through.

Nope, but then why not put it out to the public? Like, well, we found that Mickey made it further down Landry than we had first thought.

Can anyone think of a reason they wouldn't make it public if they have footage?

would they still be searching the area if he was cleared?

Yes especially if it was a dense area where it would be easy to miss items.

As well sometimes searches may be very spread out and done quickly. They will they return to the area to make sure they have not missed something.

Remember as well that it has been known for individuals to dump things in areas that have been searched already after the fact.

What if she met someone at Artmosphere who invited her to his home? What if he lived off of Brashear? What if she wrapped up her evening with BW planning to head to this guy's home without letting anyone know? What if the as-yet-unknown text was from him, looking for ETA, impatient. What if once she got there things went horribly wrong? What if he dumped the bike in an attempt at misdirection and in order to discourage any suspicion of the houses in the neighborhood? What if the only reason LE is looking at white trucks is for someone who may have seen her in order to narrow down her last known vicinity? Is she being held there? How plausible of a scenario is this?

Thanks for posting what Ive been thinking...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kendybee