LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 - #19

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't see Mickey bothering to go to Taco Bell and then back to her friend's house, if she really had secret plans to hook up with someone else later...seems she would be anxious to get there. Unless of course it was someone who had to work until 2am or so.

I know this has probably been answered, but is the diner her friends all ended up going to anyplace in the direction she was traveling? Or the opposite? I know I read that she had wanted to go there, they didn't, and then later they changed their minds and texted or called her about it.

Can anyone think of a reason they wouldn't make it public if they have footage?

To not tip someone off?

Hoping the perp will lead them somewhere as they did in the SL case. They even had LE move in next to AGT undercover.

So, they are still calling for public help searching? Today?

The page has not been consistent with calls for volunteers for the following day. It seems they assume that people will show up (they have been, after all). For example, Friday night had no mention of searches going on on Saturday, but Saturday morning's first post said:
It's a beautiful day to Bring Mickey Shunick Home to her family and her pets especially Hogarth! We're out at Blackham Coliseum and the first search parties are assembling and getting ready to head out. Please come on by and volunteer. We appreciate all of you who have and will come out to search and we thank all of you for your efforts!

I expect a similar post tomorrow morning, and probably every morning, until searches are canceled.

I stand corrected it seems. I wonder how old the phone has to be so as not to be pingable? I thought someone said 1994 the other night.

You can't ping a brick, you know.

That was me. I said I didn't understand not being able to track her phone unless it was manufactured in 1996.

I've never read anywhere that he has been "cleared".
I was shocked when I first read (on here) about Courville Rd. and Nursery hwy, one, because it looks a little creepy, and two, where in the world would someone come up with that kind of info. Then someone on here mentioned RM. Then after that the Independent confirmed LE has spoken with RM. It just popped out at me when someone brought up Lake Martin earlier that you could get to Courville Road from the backside of Lake Martin.

I have thought from the moment I heard about Mickey that it was a drunk driver. I also live in the neighborhood.

Did you see police at his house?

The page has not been consistent with calls for volunteers for the following day. It seems they assume that people will show up (they have been, after all). For example, Friday night had no mention of searches going on on Saturday, but Saturday morning's first post said:

I expect a similar post tomorrow morning, and probably ever morning, until searches are canceled.

I guess my only problem with that, is that LE is not heading those searches. LE should be heading them. Even though people have the best intentions, one never knows what could happen if it's only volunteers going out. I mean, do they know that the possible perp could come to one of those searches in another vehicle and take part? It's not inconceivable. And basically not safe.

O/T found an interesting article while looking for a link for Slander (which by the way the app is called Lookout)...

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1029-6140191.html

The surveillance technique came to light in an opinion published this week by U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan. He ruled that the "roving bug" was legal because federal wiretapping law is broad enough to permit eavesdropping even of conversations that take place near a suspect's cell phone.

Kaplan's opinion said that the eavesdropping technique "functioned whether the phone was powered on or off." Some handsets can't be fully powered down without removing the battery; for instance, some Nokia models will wake up when turned off if an alarm is set.

I can't see Mickey bothering to go to Taco Bell and then back to her friend's house, if she really had secret plans to hook up with someone else later...seems she would be anxious to get there. Unless of course it was someone who had to work until 2am or so.

I know this has probably been answered, but is the diner her friends all ended up going to anyplace in the direction she was traveling? Or the opposite? I know I read that she had wanted to go there, they didn't, and then later they changed their minds and texted or called her about it.

It could be as simple as a casual 'I'll be there around 2'. Maybe the guy had a date he had to get home. Could be anything.

Mel's Diner is on Johnston, quite a ways farther than the area she was last seen in, but if she turned left at any point on St Landry she could have wended her way over to it.

That dang camera footage at 216, and the two parking lot cams on the west side of LCG are key to the case.

I wonder what would happen if someone directly asked the police about those camera BY ADDRESS AND LOCATION?

I think she's on at least one of them, for reasons I'm working on.

Is 216 a private residence? If so, did you verify a camera there?

I have wondered the same thing. No body, no murder case?

No, they could charge someone if they find a suspect, providing they have other evidence, as in Sierra's case. Also Jacque Waller, who has a thread here, has not been found but her husband is charged with her murder. But we are a long ways away from those kinds of charges here, IMO...

Rocky McGee's house is on Courville Rd. This is old news, unless this poster has something to add.

www.theind.com/news/10633-police-confirm-rocky-mcgee-interviewed-in-shunick-case

I think this has been an "ongoing conversation" over a wide space of pages -- with someone asking questions and the original poster answering, very briefly. I think that poster's original post noted that the road to Lake Martin would somehow be a shortcut to "someone's residence" (or something similar).

I can't see Mickey bothering to go to Taco Bell and then back to her friend's house, if she really had secret plans to hook up with someone else later...
Yeah seriously, you do NOT want to have Taco Bell before going on a date with someone...especially a first date. ;)

Mel's Diner is roughly in the same direction as she was going (it is on Johnston St. headed SW from the area where she started). It is about half a mile down Johnston from Blackham.

I guess my only problem with that, is that LE is not heading those searches. LE should be heading them. Even though people have the best intentions, one never knows what could happen if it's only volunteers going out. I mean, do they know that the possible perp could come to one of those searches in another vehicle and take part? It's not inconceivable. And basically not safe.

I also wonder how they decide to where to search...does LE let them know what areas need searching, or have already been searched? Or are the volunteers from FB page possibly searching places that have already been cleared? I am always a little confused by searching in these cases if they are not coordinated by LE. But maybe they are, in this case, I have no idea.

In my opinion,the "white truck" has nothing to do with Mickeys disappearence..except perhaps a possible witness.
**retreating back into "lurkdom" now**

:lurk:

Now we're back to her being spooked again. If she's already been passed by a truck, and it's coming up behind her, the pic of her may be her just before she goes to make a left on Brashear.

A.C.I.'s theory.

Or.... for some reason that night she chose to avoid a section of St. Landry.

A.C.I., I don't know if you saw, but I talked to a guard at Lourdes earlier who saw Mickey often, and the guard volunteered without being asked that Mickey's route was St. Landry, left on St. Julien, right on Johnston, and right on Cajundome.

Every time I stroll through google street view, I think it's Brashear. And I think that last shot of her looks like she was moving slightly toward the middle of the street, not very close to the curb.

Having looked at the same images a gäzillion times, my brain may be automagically animating them.

Or she's under the truck.

Or she's meeting a mystery man

Or there were two men, one grabbed her, one grabbed her bike.

Or David Copperfield is involved. Neat trick, now bring her back.

I also wonder how they decide to where to search...does LE let them know what areas need searching, or have already been searched? Or are the volunteers from FB page possibly searching places that have already been cleared? I am always a little confused by searching in these cases if they are not coordinated by LE. But maybe they are, in this case, I have no idea.

I don't know in this case, but in the Kelli Bordeaux case, the wives of soldiers are just going out on their own searches, where ever they wish to go and when. LE is not telling them not to, but they aren't helping them either, so there is really no system.

If she wasn't injured she would have screamed

Which reminds me ..... somewhere it was mentioned that neighbors (where?) heard a scream and called the cops. I don't know if that's been verified or where and what time it took place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Honeybadger503