LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 - #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just went looking for Mel's Diner for the first time. I wasn't sure where it was. Turns out that used to be a Pitt Grill many years ago. Anybody here remember Pitt Grill. Chain like Denny's. That's where I went with my friends when we were out till 2 am on Friday. Small world. Strange small world. Racoon Records was in the shopping center behind the diner. My brother worked there for years.

In my opinion,the "white truck" has nothing to do with Mickeys disappearence..except perhaps a possible witness.
**retreating back into "lurkdom" now**

:lurk:

I hope you have a fresh theory. Many we've been tossing around are getting ragged around the edges. :)

I don't know in this case, but in the Kelli Bordeaux case, the wives of soldiers are just going out on their own searches, where ever they wish to go and when. LE is not telling them not to, but they aren't helping them either, so there is really no system.

I hate the idea of a group of friends like that actually finding her :(
But I wish someone would...Kelli, Mickey and so many others.

I really feel for the volunteers in Mickey's case as they are SO positive she is alive, yet searching in areas where of course she could not be found alive. I don't know how people can gear up their minds in that way. I mean, even if a hair barrette or something was eventually found...but she wasn't anywhere in the same area...I am not sure how much help it would be anyway. :( I still believe she is in the area of the bike.

I guess my only problem with that, is that LE is not heading those searches. LE should be heading them. Even though people have the best intentions, one never knows what could happen if it's only volunteers going out. I mean, do they know that the possible perp could come to one of those searches in another vehicle and take part? It's not inconceivable. And basically not safe.

Sadly I have not participated in the searches so I do not know how they are run. The FB page has repeatedly stated that they try to send people out in groups of ten. They have also said that money raised went to paying for expenses like off-duty cops, so maybe they play a part in the searches? Dunno.

My main issue with the searches is that it's my understanding that they were not asking for ID until after ES showed up. I had the same thought about a perp showing up just for the classic "I get to help with the investigation!" thing that some seem to like to do, and/or to mislead searchers, destroy evidence, etc. But again this might not be accurate.

cluciano63, it is also my understanding that the search effort has been keeping a pretty meticulous, gridded-out map of areas that have been searched, on what date, and by whom. I remember them being posted and discussed on FB in the initial first days but that was quickly quashed.

I guess my only problem with that, is that LE is not heading those searches. LE should be heading them. Even though people have the best intentions, one never knows what could happen if it's only volunteers going out. I mean, do they know that the possible perp could come to one of those searches in another vehicle and take part? It's not inconceivable. And basically not safe.

It's very possible the perp could participate in a search..TES told us that. That is why all searchers are asked for their DL they ask for make and year of the vehicle we drive also license plate number. All are given an arm band and name tag. The team leader is given a list of all the searchers names and all have to be accounted for at the end of a search.

Which reminds me ..... somewhere it was mentioned that neighbors (where?) heard a scream and called the cops. I don't know if that's been verified or where and what time it took place.

That is the first I have heard of any scream. Is this part of the public record or rumor? That could be critical.

I just went looking for Mel's Diner for the first time. I wasn't sure where it was. Turns out that used to be a Pitt Grill many years ago. Anybody here remember Pitt Grill. Chain like Denny's. That's where I went with my friends when we were out till 2 am on Friday. Small world. Strange small world. Racoon Records was in the shopping center behind the diner. My brother worked there for years.

Yep. And they used to call Pitt Grill 'Arm Pit'. LOL ...I'd forgotten about Pitt Grill till you mentioned it. Also ...if you're a REAL old timer like me you remember when Raccoon Records (and Tom ran it then) was located on St Mary right across from the CJUS bldg on campus, where Follett's is/was.

It's very possible the perp could participate in a search..TES told us that. That is why all searchers are asked for their DL they ask for make and year of the vehicle we drive also license plate number. All are given an arm band and name tag. The team leader is given a list of all the searchers names and all have to be accounted for at the end of a search.

Well, let's just hope that now that TES is no longer there, they are still collecting those tag numbers, and ID.

What? I haven't heard of them but I've skipped lots of pages. Link?

Not sure, but I think it may have gotten classed by mods as rumor-stated-as-fact and gotten deleted...?

Yep. And they used to call Pitt Grill 'Arm Pit'. LOL ...I'd forgotten about Pitt Grill till you mentioned it. Also ...if you're a REAL old timer like me you remember when Raccoon Records (and Tom ran it then) was located on St Mary right across from the CJUS bldg on campus, where Follett's is/was.

Of course, I remember that. I liked it better there. It was cozy. It felt like a college record store. I was in middle and high school, during that time.

Sadly I have not participated in the searches so I do not know how they are run. The FB page has repeatedly stated that they try to send people out in groups of ten. They have also said that money raised went to paying for expenses like off-duty cops, so maybe they play a part in the searches? Dunno.

My main issue with the searches is that it's my understanding that they were not asking for ID until after ES showed up. I had the same thought about a perp showing up just for the classic "I get to help with the investigation!" thing that some seem to like to do, and/or to mislead searchers, destroy evidence, etc. But again this might not be accurate.

cluciano63, it is also my understanding that the search effort has been keeping a pretty meticulous, gridded-out map of areas that have been searched, on what date, and by whom. I remember them being posted and discussed on FB in the initial first days but that was quickly quashed.

Or the perp could have 'searched' while messing up the scene or scooping up evidence.

Of course, I remember that. I liked it better there. It was cozy. It felt like a college record store. I was in middle and high school, during that time.

I was in high school, working for 2.35 an hour and I spent most of it there. One of my favorite places in Lafayette at the time.

Can anyone think of a reason they wouldn't make it public if they have footage?

The possibility that someone is being protected through who their daddy is, or a corporation is being protected against liability. A very unsettling thought, but just saying it does happen down here once in awhile.

Not saying that happened here. Just giving general reasons things can get hinky.

I think I read that they do search in pairs, broken off from the teams. So a lone perp should not have had an opportunity to search alone without anyone knowing, if this is the case.

I know the FB group is keeping track of where they search, but wondered if they are coordinating and/or taking suggestions from LE. Usually if there are specific places to be searched for good reason, TES sticks around to handle it. JMO

Well, let's just hope that now that TES is no longer there, they are still collecting those tag numbers, and ID.

An active and willing volunteer search is being conducted every day to find Mickey. No one has given up, the one day suspension was to follow on a lead. TES has set up a foundation and ground rules, as well as a blueprint to search across the Louisiana countryside.

Also, the cameras on I-10 do not capture the area of interest where the bike was found. I have been part of a search of this area and its the very desolate, eerie, and covered with litter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warsovika