LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 - #21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess, history repeats itself, unless we can learn from our predecessors, huh?
Ironic that you are an anthropology major too, Donamena.
Both Lauren Spierer's and Mickey Schunick both are/were anthro majors.

1,100-year-old Mayan ruins found in North Georgia
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/12/22/1100-year-old-mayan-ruins-found-in-north-georgia/
Perhaps that's why I latched on so quickly. I walked home to Tremé many a night, alone, through the FQ, pass the old cemetery. Tried to sneak in a nightclub on Claiborne to see a blues show at 17. Anthro majors have just a little, not enough, of the early fearlessness of ethnographers. We tend to think we can handle ourselves b/c we're trained to. How much has changed for the worse. I hope for my fellow anthro majors. I pray that they be found safe & trek to the Amazon or Tibet or Mongolia. I pray the prayers of all religions, to all gods. Just bring them home. May the people who hurt them be re-incarnated as rodents in a roomful of mean & hungry cats.

Perhaps that's why I latched on so quickly. I walked home to Tremé many a night, alone, through the FQ, pass the old cemetery. Tried to sneak in a nightclub on Claiborne to see a blues show at 17. Anthro majors have just a little, not enough, of the early fearlessness of ethnographers. We tend to think we can handle ourselves b/c we're trained to. How much has changed for the worse. I hope for my fellow anthro majors. I pray that they be found safe & trek to the Amazon or Tibet or Mongolia. I pray the prayers of all religions, to all gods. Just bring them home. May the people who hurt them be re-incarnated as rodents in a roomful of mean & hungry cats.

Lauren Spierer was not an anthro major. She was a fashion major and she was supposed to return to NY that summer to do an internship at Anthropologie which is a clothing store.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65798"]Websleuths (WS) Etiquette & Information[/ame]

Inviting outside contact or alluding to "private" additional information:
“Inviting” is termed as a post where you invite other members to contact you to find out more information, rather than post it in the forum. This is not allowed and any posts with emails or invitations to contact for more information will either be edited or deleted entirely. This includes use of the Private Message system via comments such as “Check your PMs” or “PM me” posted in discussion threads. Think about it - it's like whispering into someone's ear while you are at a table full of other people. If you want to have a private conversation just have it, don't announce it. Additionally,please don't drop hints or post on the board that you know something or are privy to inside information but you won't or can't post it.
If you can't post it, don't.

OT: In previous thread we had several posters suggesting crockpot cooking was the WS way to go. I decided to do red beans & rice today. Had my beans soaking and pulled out some sausage to thaw. Little while later I went back in the kitchen and my 2 year old comes running from the living room shaking his finger at me and shoo'ing me back to my PC. I knew he was up to something in there. I go take a peek and he has the sausage on the coffee table...ripped the butcher paper open and thought he had found himself a snack I guess! Guess I need to peel myself away from here more often!

They are also sending regular volunteer crews out there by foot, ATV and boat - the current was too strong for them to jump in and search with the sonar the day the bike was found but that was from a major rain if I recall correctly - the current has been slow and water level has been down. If the bike showed up at the side, other objects - yes, including a body - could easily make it to shore as well. FWIW I don't think a Whiskey Bay exit camera would have helped much in this case - we do have cameras that are facing the exits and down the interstate, just not off the exit. I don't see how someone got off at that exit and threw the bike in the water from there - its been the main thought on my mind each time we've been out there - how the heck did the bike get there...but then again there have been conflicting reports on where the bike was found.

It has been discussed that possibility that the perp could have disposed of the evidence by boat at some point upstream and the natural currents deposited the bike in its last resting spot. That would certainly point to a local and one with access to a boat and knowledge of the basin. If true, that would greatly focus the manhunt.

Do you think a water dump more likely than by land?

Just got home and wanted to put this out there. I just left a close friends house and her dad was there. I will not give the name of either because dad is an undercover. But he told me that he and another cop were talking about the case and they friend told him that the only video they have of Mickey is from the city hall cameras. She was caught on all of their cameras, as was the truck. But they have no video of her beyond that spot. Whatever happened to her happened after city hall, but before the funeral home, because the funeral home has no video of her, nor does the old hospital or parking garage. I asked him if they discussed other aspects of the case, such as the truck, and all he said was the owner of the older car and the other truck both came forward on their own. The voi that still remains has not. I have followed the procedures to have myself verified as a local, but have not been contacted yet. But I thought I should share this info anyway.i will not state anything else he said because it was only his opinions. Also, I want to add that city hall has cameras all the way around the building, and she was caught on all. Nothing suspicious was happening in those videos from what his friend told him. Just wanted to let y'all know. :dunno:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7979299&postcount=289"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - LA LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #8[/ame]

Link to WaltzingMatilda's response to my question about the Anthropology connection back on Thread 8 (wow).

WaltizingMatilda replied (and I snipped):
It''s been awhile since I've followed Lauren's case closely but I recall she went on a dig in Israel. (she was a fashion major tho)

Do the research I mentioned.

I've read the book you mentioned - The Ultimate Evil - and, if I recall correctly, it attributes the Son of Sam murders to a cult that had ties to some murders in CA, as well. One interesting point made in the book is that none of the composite sketches made after each shooting looked like they could possibly be the same person, and that Berkowitz only committed 1 of the murders but took the fall for all of them, out of fear. IIRC

It was an interesting book, but a very complicated theory, and I don't see the relevance to Mickey's disappearance. MOO

daichab, I think it's been confirmed that the funeral home has no cameras anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought someone here swore up and down they did but then several people confirmed it was not so.

Just got home and wanted to put this out there. I just left a close friends house and her dad was there. I will not give the name of either because dad is an undercover. But he told me that he and another cop were talking about the case and they friend told him that the only video they have of Mickey is from the city hall cameras. She was caught on all of their cameras, as was the truck. But they have no video of her beyond that spot. Whatever happened to her happened after city hall, but before the funeral home, because the funeral home has no video of her, nor does the old hospital or parking garage. I asked him if they discussed other aspects of the case, such as the truck, and all he said was the owner of the older car and the other truck both came forward on their own. The voi that still remains has not. I have followed the procedures to have myself verified as a local, but have not been contacted yet. But I thought I should share this info anyway.i will not state anything else he said because it was only his opinions. Also, I want to add that city hall has cameras all the way around the building, and she was caught on all. Nothing suspicious was happening in those videos from what his friend told him. Just wanted to let y'all know. :dunno:

bbm

We were told by Laffytaffy and the information was confirmed by A.C.I. that the Martin and Castille Funeral Home does not have video cameras.

Just last night, I am driving and see a girl jogging down Foreman (street that runs on side of Lafayette High) with headphones on. My immediate thought was I need to roll the window down and ask this girl if she wants a ride, but of course she is jogging for fitness and will not want a ride. Fine if you want to do that, but lose the headphones, that's clearly unsafe. It was not 2am, but it was after dark.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Soooo frustrating!!!!

Hold that thought, she was captured on ALL the cams, including the ones on the large parking lot side and the backside??

bbm

We were told by Laffytaffy and the information was confirmed by A.C.I. that the Martin and Castille Funeral Home does not have video cameras.

Correct. No cameras. The last camera to show any footage is at 216 St. Landry. the law office. Thats where the video of the olds comes from

Do you think its possible that she is still alive and being held captive or does LE believe she is most likely deceased? I hate to even mention that

I believe everyone is operating under the assumption that she is most likely dead (sad to say) and are looking for her body and the rest of her belongings so that they have the evidence needed to proceed with the case. But by no means is it dismissed or ruled out that she may still be alive.

It has been discussed that possibility that the perp could have disposed of the evidence by boat at some point upstream and the natural currents deposited the bike in its last resting spot. That would certainly point to a local and one with access to a boat and knowledge of the basin. If true, that would greatly focus the manhunt.

Do you think a water dump more likely than by land?

Ok just theory of water dump by boat and this is just my thoughts
1. Up river from I10 there are several camps located on the east side of the River, actaully quite a few, if I was the perp and local I wouldnt dump up stream of I10 and I would dump south of I10 WB exit for one reason, remote and way less camps
2.I dont think it was from boat for a couple reasons
1. I would think the perp would of dumped more in center of river, the bike would of sunk quickly, of course at a angle, but imo stayed more so in center of river

I wander how many of the camps had people at them that weekend, thats a huge past time down here, going to the camps on weekends

daichab, I think it's been confirmed that the funeral home has no cameras anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought someone here swore up and down they did but then several people confirmed it was not so.

I haven't checked personally, so I'm not sure. But according to my friend, they do. Could be wrong of course, but the point I was making was that she was not captured on any other cameras after city hall. :moo:

Hold that thought, she was captured on ALL the cams, including the ones on the large parking lot side and the backside??

Yes. On the cameras that point to the drive thru, and the back parking lot. That's what I was told. And he specifically said those cameras.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3