LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 - #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They REALLY need to focus on people Mickey knew due to being involved with horses. I feel like some older pervert had a crush on her and she would not give them the time of day. I also feel like he stalked her for a while (several weeks) before he got up the courage to make his move. I think he finally offered her a ride and she may have refused and he then forced her into the truck. If he lives out in the middle of nowhere, she could very well still be alive as he might feel she is all his now.

I signed up after reading off and on for many days because I had not seen anyone really discussing the stables connection. Maybe I missed that. I've seen mention of drunk drivers, friends from college, neighborhood people and stranger abduction. I haven't read of the families of her riding students being checked out for white trucks of the VOI variety. If there was a father or older brother of one of her students MS felt comfortable chatting with, he may have known of her Artmosphere plans and route habits and also may have known she was planning to move to New Orleans. She might feel comfortable accepting a ride from such a person in the middle of the night if he just happened to show up along her route.

The other thing I think about is that MS tried twice that night in question to not have to ride home alone. Her first attempt was when she called CS to come to Artmosphere, not knowing her sister was still in BR. Asking her friends to go to Mel's Diner would have ensured a part of the way home was covered by companionship; once she ate at Taco Bell, she probably just had the mindset to get on the bike and get the trip over with.

I have no idea if this is a viable thought but if you removed the hand grips from the handlebars, are the exposed ends of the bike frame open? Would this allow for water to fill the bike frame in efforts to try to sink it?

Sounds like something someone might try in a desperate moment, anyhow.

And hello lostsheep, and also welcome to WS.

Presumably, the route from where MS was last seen, to where her bike was found at WB has CCTV at many points in the 27mile stretch? Has, or is, this being checked for the WT?

Thanks.

I am sure that along I-10, there are probably hundreds of white trucks that pass by that area every hour or so.

I went to the mall today and parked in between two white trucks and there was another white truck parked in front of me. There are more white trucks down here in the South than trees.

There is something that bothers me about the planned abduction theory.

Let's assume:
1) The perp is intelligent and organized and methodical.
2) He has some knowledge of her typical bike route.
3) He has driven the route at night multiple times, noting the best places to carry out the abduction.
4) He has planned this over and over in his head, waiting for an opportune moment.

Then why, for heaven's sake, would he do it in front of city hall!

I think anybody would know a govenment building would be well covered by outwardly-pointing security cameras. Particularly after 9/11. The corner is also well-lit with a busy convenience store nearby.

Would he even risk driving by the building? He might avoid that whole area entirely.

If this IS planned, I think the crime scene is somewhere else. And the Z-71 could be a red herring.

JMHO. I think he was someone aware of Mickey, had this in mind, but probably didn't do anything more than follow her, without any elaborate studying of her bike routes (which may have varied!). If she went down Brashear, he could have gone down Cherry and circled around the block (on the next street parallel) and got her on Brashear.

I do remember someone suggesting that the bike was damaged when it was dumped. But, I think the front of the bike would sustain more damage than the back if tossed over an embankment, since the front would be heavier (unless the handlebars were completely removed, but I can't imagine someone in a hurry to dispose of a bike taking the time to do that).

A possible "accident" has been discussed and I'm just considering that an "accident" could have been staged by the perp in order to nab Mickey. Just a suggestion as to how he got her off the bike. Again, it if were truly an accident, I don't believe the perp would have taken the bike and body with him.

MOO

That was my immediate thought, as well. the longer this drags on with no info, the more convoluted my thought process becomes. It may well have been a bump & grab.

I hope we find out soon.

Unfortunately, I bet many families of missing persons can't afford it (hiring a PI) -- or may not even be aware that they could do so.

I don't think MS's family was in the financial position to do so either, intitally--that is why the PI was hired by a friend of the family. After the donations started pouring in, they were able to hire him.

I signed up after reading off and on for many days because I had not seen anyone really discussing the stables connection. Maybe I missed that. I've seen mention of drunk drivers, friends from college, neighborhood people and stranger abduction. I haven't read of the families of her riding students being checked out for white trucks of the VOI variety. If there was a father or other brother of one of her students MS felt comfortable chatting with, he may have known of her Artmosphere plans and route habits and also may have known she was planning to move to New Orleans. She might feel comfortable accepting a ride from such a person in the middle of the night if he just happened to show up along her route.

The other thing I think about is that MS tried twice that night in question to not have to ride home alone. Her first attempt was when she called CS to come to Artmosphere, not knowing her sister was still in BR. Asking her friends to go to Mel's Diner would have ensured a part of the way home was covered by companionship; once she ate at Taco Bell, she probably just had the mindset to get on the bike and get the trip over with.

I think you're the third person today who's mentioned the stables. I hope someone's checked out that angle.

If the WT was heading to go to an offshore job at that time, which IS possible, then it is possible they may still be offshore and not know what's going on, right?

I've thought about that and barring a 28 day shift offshore (which are not too common), I'd've thought he would be back in this last Friday from a 14 day shift if this were the case (and having left the Saturday it happened at some point) ...not knowing they were being sought for info.

Timeline of the search for Mickey Shunick

http://www.katc.com/news/searching-for-mickey-shunick/

May 18, 2012: 10:15 pm: Mickey arrived at music venue and bar, Artmosphere, to see a band and hang out with friends.
"After about like an hour or two of being there she already started making mention of being ready to go home, getting something to eat," explained friend Brettly Wilson.

June 5, 2012: A new search group out of Texas arrives in town with plans to start searching with their K9 team in the morning.

JMO

I don't know how they do it in Lafayette, but here in my hometown, when they have a DUI checkpoint planned, they are required to put it in the newspaper beforehand. [ which seems stupid, but whatever.]

Anyhow, once they publish the date and location , all of the 20 yr olds text each other with the warnings. So if you know thetre is going to be one on Saturday night on Kanan, you would probably avoid that street all weekend long. Jmo
DUI checkpoints are never publicized to the public in Louisiana.

Unfortunately, I bet many families of missing persons can't afford it (hiring a PI) -- or may not even be aware that they could do so.

While it can get rather expensive, I typically try to work with a client budget wise if they dont have a lot if money and its for something as important to a family as this.

Police here wait in the parking lots of clubs and bars. When they see people walking to their car, they follow them down the street. Easy DUI.

Same here in boofoo Illinois

She was missing for quite a while before LE was even contacted!

She was reported.missing on Saturday. 16 he's (correct me if I'm wrong) since she was abducted. Le did NOTHING until Monday.

16 hrs to report her missing.
And about 36 hrs AFTER SHE WAS REPORTED MISSING....for them to do anything at all.

I think you're the third person today who's mentioned the stables. I hope someone's checked out that angle.

I met someone who works at the stables, but we didn't really discuss that much. I guess if she had felt it was a workable angle, she have done more talking. I wonder if I could get back in touch with her.

6:00pm KATC:
Sorry of its been posted already: TES and another group arriving back in Lafayette tomorrow. Search teams include K-9 team with cadaver dogs.

lands at random.

My "t-boy" "research" shows that "t" might stand for "trailer" and the rampant stereotype that comes along with living in a trailer home in many places.

We learn as we go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members