LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 - #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since this keeps coming up, despite the statements of mods, would somebody do me the favor of telling me how the sister of a missing person is supposed to be acting? I'm not familiar with the behaviors that are normal/required, and so it would help me expand my knowledge base.

I don't want to discuss Charlie. So how is a sister in this situation supposed to be acting, on the news, on the front page, the public face, devastated parents?

What is the normal set of behaviors?
Bravo! Well-said and hits the mark exactly. No need to talk about family or their reactions.

Hey sister's behavior is really bizarre to me. Does anyone know how old she is? She just seems really passive about the whole thing.

I haven't been able to read her last interview because, for some reason, my browser won't open past page one at the Advertiser or the Shreveport paper. I read here that she said some strange things. On TV, I thought she seemed pretty calm but on radio she cried. Dunno. I would guess that denial is a big part of it - trying to act like it will be okay. The one that so many piled on - Brettly - I thought was the one who seemed to get the severity immediately. He keeps positive but in that first interview there was the moment where he completely lost it and said "You don't know what you've done", speaking to the unknown abductor. Some people acted like that was suspicious but I know if I had a friend disappear, I would think the worst, too.

just tell her about MS and she will understand what goes through a momma's head when their lovely little daughters don't answer the phone ;)

You all just reminded me of a habit I used to have when I lived away from home for the first time in college. I used to watch all the detective/crime shows, and my mom who was 600 miles away and never even heard of those shows knew when they were on and if the story was about a mom losing her daughter, because I would invariably call to (tearfully) tell her how much I loved her. My thinking was that if she never heard from me again (because lord above was I paranoid) I wanted the last thing I said to her to be "I love you."

As far as CS's reactions, I think they're quite normal. It's been 3 weeks.

Would you want to see a hysterical woman on TV screaming and having to be sedated instead?

She has to keep calm or the police/public can't take her seriously. She has to be strong so those around her can be strong.

"Charlie feels upbeat and positive about her sister's whereabouts."
"It was good to see her on her bike," Charlie said. "It was good to see that she got away from Brettly's house, because that cleared him, because I spent a lot of energy and time defending him because we stood behind him from the beginning."
"Hope it's not too fun over there — I'm sure it's not — because we're going to come find you and take you away from there, so just be smart, little sister."
BBM- the way she worded that strikes me as odd!
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/arti...30341/Mickey-Shunick-search-You-just-got-hope

Maybe her sister thinks she knows where MS is? IDK!!!
moo

I agree completely. How would the police responded to a mother reporting her 21 year old child as missing because they weren't home at 8am after going out the previous night?

Regarding the posts asking why her family didn't report her missing sooner:

I think they reported her as soon as they "felt" something wasn't right.

I have a 21 year old daughter and while she is responsible and level headed, if she wasn't home in the morning, I would be a little concerned but would assume she had spent the night at a friends house. I wouldn't automatically think she was missing. I would then call her cell and when I couldn't get ahold of her, I would assume she was still sleeping. I would still be thinking that she would show up to graduation and then when that didn't happen and when her friends haven't heard from her since the night before, then I would freak out...I think this is exactly how it happened with MS's family. I don't think anyone can blame them for not reporting her missing just because she wasn't home at 8:00 in the morning. She's 21 and it was her birthday weekend, I would automatically assume my daughter had drank too much and spent the night somewhere.

Keep Calm and Find Mickey!

oh,my......I feel close to tears....glad TES is coming but .......

But the cadaver dogs make me sick to my stomach. I know we've all be coming up with ideas of what could have happened, but we've all wanted to believe she is still alive somewhere. Please, let them find her alive. If anyone can find her, TES can.

My opinion is that the post by wodalo with the two St Landry images are too telling. I cannot ignore what I think is obvious. A lot of people including myself are "punch drunk" on this white truck for a reason! I also think the driver of the white truck is exiting the truck in that image. I believe the video cam across from the Circle K recorded exactly what happened, but it is not clear enough to prove who the driver of the truck is and other individuals that may have been in the truck also.

I personally inspected that asphalt and it is brand new and pristine. It would have to be a heck of a trick of physics to do what is "shown" in wodalo's .gif, without leaving a mark on the asphalt. New asphalt is soft.

Attachments

• DSCN2406.jpg
    DSCN2406.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN2405.jpg
    DSCN2405.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 22
If she was supposed to go to the stables that day, maybe they saw she wasn't home and presumed she'd gone there first? Maybe they tried to get through but couldn't and either were rushing and thought she'd turn up at the graduation, or maybe they always had trouble reaching her there, so just thought that was why the phone didn't answer?

It's also possible that they didn't reach her before the graduation but assumed she was there and just hadn't found their seats. I have intended to meet up with people for events without assigned seats and sat separately because we arrived at different times. It's possible they assumed she was there and wasn't sitting with them...

It might be this person, but I'm not sure.

Julius TaDarius Jones, missing last year In Meridian, MS

I am a member of TES. The last call I received from them was on May 31. I can't remember which calls were which ,but they called twice on May 31, and I believe this was about a missing person in Pearland, TX.

I'm not sure how they do their notifications, if they only call people within a certain area to search for someone, but I haven't gotten anymore calls about missing people since the 31st.

I lived in Houston at the time that I became a member (moved up north within the last couple weeks), and got all the calls about Mickey, even though Lafayette was 4 hours way. I've never gotten a call about anyone furthe than that, but they might have called other members who were closer to search in Mississippi.

ETA: Once they started the initial search for Mickey, I did not receive anymore calls about her. We got a call initially to be on standby, then at least one other call to meet for the search and to notify the organizer if we would be participating. They do not call every single day of a search, at least not this time. I think they assumed that all of the members and volunteers who were going to participate would show up in Lafayette for the first day and stay there. If they are going back after leaving, I have not heard anything about it, but again they may not be making anymore calls for members and volunteers and may just be sticking to the initial group who showed up and giving out their info in person or through the website.

glad to see they are getting some airboats out there. they'll be searching the atchafalaya i guess.

IMO, CS is in shock, probably has not been eating or sleeping. I think she is trying to hold it together for her family, to be strong for them. Her sister is missing and she is watching her parents and brother go thru this nightmare. IMO she is being brave.
I do not think anyone should judge/question her behavior.

Stop the disparaging remarks about the family, AND the argument over the disparaging remarks about the family.

Since this keeps coming up, despite the statements of mods, would somebody do me the favor of telling me how the sister of a missing person is supposed to be acting? I'm not familiar with the behaviors that are normal/required, and so it would help me expand my knowledge base.

I don't want to discuss Charlie. So how is a sister in this situation supposed to be acting, on the news, on the front page, the public face, devastated parents?

What is the normal set of behaviors?

Did you ever see the film with Meryl Streep where she played the mother of a child who was snatched, in the Australian bush, by an animal? Streep's character was so emotionally reserved/anal/uptight that she was crucified by the public who were accusing her. WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT! The pressure of a missing loved one has to be enough to drive someone to mental breakdown. Everyone keeps their s***t together in their own way. There is no way "right" way to respond to the abduction of a loved one.

If she was supposed to go to the stables that day, maybe they saw she wasn't home and presumed she'd gone there first? Maybe they tried to get through but couldn't and either were rushing and thought she'd turn up at the graduation, or maybe they always had trouble reaching her there, so just thought that was why the phone didn't answer?

It had not occurred to me that YES, Mickey may have had bad service on her phone in certain locations. Great thought to keep in mind when thinking about her phone.
jmo

I personally inspected that asphalt and it is brand new and pristine. It would have to be a heck of a trick of physics to do what is "shown" in wodalo's .gif, without leaving a mark on the asphalt. New asphalt is soft.

Maybe I'm narrow minded and don't allow myself to think out of the box as often as I should, but I respectfully disagree.

Attachments

• DSCN2405.jpg
    DSCN2405.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN2406.jpg
    DSCN2406.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 9
You all just reminded me of a habit I used to have when I lived away from home for the first time in college. I used to watch all the detective/crime shows, and my mom who was 600 miles away and never even heard of those shows knew when they were on and if the story was about a mom losing her daughter, because I would invariably call to (tearfully) tell her how much I loved her. My thinking was that if she never heard from me again (because lord above was I paranoid) I wanted the last thing I said to her to be "I love you."

i pray my daughters are like you when grown :please:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member