LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 - #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry if this has been said already but i got behind - but, this is what im thinking... there wouldnt be any need to hit/bump her bike etc. if the perp could get her to come to him willingly...ahla ted bundy with the fake injuries or broken down car etc...

I wouldn't think someone could lure Mickey over to help them with their car troubles BUT....if they stopped, asked her to borrow a cell phone, then maybe....however, she seems smarter than that and could have just said she didn't have one and pointed over to the Circle K.

Another thing, too, is that there are a lot of young people on bikes buying and selling drugs, and many girls who are so desperate for their drugs that they do sell themselves to get them.
----------

And, the way I see it, this guy who picked up the young woman who had been riding the bike, assumed she was a prostitute, or a wannabe prostitute.

Beware anyone riding a bike, walking, jogging. Especially in the wee hours of the a.m.

I can't link this video from my phone but Jim Hummel with KATC did a nice piece on Whiskey Bay last night. It's on www.katc.com under videos.

Let today be the day. I keep thinking of Mickey's parents and my heart hurts for them.

'We all hurt, GulfCoastKat'..

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/arti...30341/Mickey-Shunick-search-You-just-got-hope

Publicly, the Shunick family has remained hopeful amid Mickey's mysterious May 19 disappearance, with Charlie actively involved in volunteer search efforts. Even two weeks after her sister vanished — a case that has confounded police and drawn widespread interest locally and nationally — Charlie feels upbeat and positive about her sister's whereabouts.

"Usually, I get a good cry in the morning, the afternoon and in the evening," the older Shunick sister said..

How many fires were there yesterday and last night? I thought that I read that there was one on University. My first thought was that I hope nobody was destroying evidence because the search teams were coming back in town.

The local media in Baton Rouge is a JOKE. They do little more than read whatever press releases are sent to them - they know nothing of the concept of "investigative journalism". If the police don't call them to give them an update on a case, they don't cover it. Their coverage of Sylviane Lozada, who has been missing for 11 months, lasted for about a week. JMO.
I wonder why they aren't running news broadcasts of this in Baton Rouge, that just makes no sense to me. Her bike was found smack dab between Baton Rouge and Lafayette, and it stands to reason he could be from either place.

The local media in Baton Rouge is a JOKE. They do little more than read whatever press releases are sent to them - they know nothing of the concept of "investigative journalism". If the police don't call them to give them an update on a case, they don't cover it. Their coverage of Sylviane Lozada, who has been missing for 11 months, lasted for about a week. JMO.

I don't mind tellin ya that's a damn shame.

And that is why this guy bothers me so much....because the words came out of his mouth offering to buy sex. Those were his words (not hers), so that tells me the kind of person he is. Sure, he may have mistaken her for hinting for sex for money, but then he is still the kind of person that would do that.
I'm pretty darn sure if the young girl would have accepted the offer, then surely he would have proceeded to take her somewhere for sex. That is not the kind of individual I ever want to be around.

I appreciate all the points + counter-points. That is what is great about WS, and that is how we can narrow down things. The bottom line with this guy, is they need to find him, and at a minimum question him thoroughly. Similar truck, etc.
(whether he is involved or not).

JMO of course.

bbm. Technically, those are HER words. He has not gone on record admitted that he said them.

This is my take, as a local, on the Patterson thing ...posted many threads back:

There's a certain type of guy that's unique to Lafayette and to a degree, Houston. Local slang is 'hard-legs'. The age can range from 20's up to late 50's or so. Many of them work offshore on a regular 7 on/7 off schedule, or they work for the oil service companies coming and going all times of the day or night, some on call 365 days a year.

This is typical in an oilfield town which Lafayette is, predominantly.

They make good money, have all the man-toys ...the nice boats, the nice trucks, electronics, etc. They usually won't have a nice home, though. Or a nice stable relationship. It's sort of a nomadic life these guys live; they drift in and out of relationships, many drink heavily, they party the 7 or 14 days they are in and then back out to the rigs they go.

They keep the strip clubs in business to a large degree. Many would use the above term to refer to themselves, or they self-reference as a good-old-boy. They come in and want sex but have no wife or girlfriend so they cruise like the guy Tasha Patterson reported. The guy she described fits the stereotype (there's that word again) ...older, fed well, slightly scruffy ...and admits he likes to drive around looking for pretty girls (which are plentiful in Lafayette) but in my opinion, mostly harmless. The fact that she said no and he shrugged and said ok and let her out at the corner supports my contention.

(Written as someone who has, for decades, heard of this sort of thing happening in Lafayette.)

Eerrck!

Abrupt subject change

I just read the article posted earlier regarding the internal bad blood in Lafayette PD.

Good grief! How can they possible conduct a comprehensive, cohesive investigation with all of this crap going on? They're a hot mess.

This is my take, as a local, on the Patterson thing ...posted many threads back:

There's a certain type of guy that's unique to Lafayette and to a degree, Houston. Local slang is 'hard-legs'. The age can range from 20's up to late 50's or so. Many of them work offshore on a regular 7 on/7 off schedule, or they work for the oil service companies coming and going all times of the day or night, some on call 365 days a year.

This is typical in an oilfield town which Lafayette is, predominantly.

They make good money, have all the man-toys ...the nice boats, the nice trucks, electronics, etc. They usually won't have a nice home, though. Or a nice stable relationship. It's sort of a nomadic life these guys live; they drift in and out of relationships, many drink heavily, they party the 7 or 14 days they are in and then back out to the rigs they go.

They keep the strip clubs in business to a large degree. Many would use the above term to refer to themselves, or they self-reference as a good-old-boy. They come in and want sex but have no wife or girlfriend so they cruise like the guy Tasha Patterson reported. The guy she described fits the stereotype (there's that word again) ...older, fed well, slightly scruffy ...and admits he likes to drive around looking for pretty girls (which are plentiful in Lafayette) but in my opinion, mostly harmless. The fact that she said no and he shrugged and said ok and let her out at the corner supports my contention.

(Written as someone who has, for decades, heard of this sort of thing happening in Lafayette.)

Aaaaah....I knew I had read this wonderful description somewhere.

Seems very on point imo

'We all hurt, GulfCoastKat'..

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/arti...30341/Mickey-Shunick-search-You-just-got-hope

Publicly, the Shunick family has remained hopeful amid Mickey's mysterious May 19 disappearance, with Charlie actively involved in volunteer search efforts. Even two weeks after her sister vanished — a case that has confounded police and drawn widespread interest locally and nationally — Charlie feels upbeat and positive about her sister's whereabouts.

"Usually, I get a good cry in the morning, the afternoon and in the evening," the older Shunick sister said..

I know we all hurt for them, for Mickey, for Charlie. I hope that the Shunick's end up getting answers. I hope whoever is responsible for this answers to a court of law. I'm so angry that some person decided they had the right to do anything to Mickey Shunick (and all the other victims of crime). What makes folks think they can use/hurt/murder humans?
Rhetorical question, I know. This whole thing just disgusts me.

Where is Mickey???

Eerrck!

Abrupt subject change

I just read the article posted earlier regarding the internal bad blood in Lafayette PD.

Good grief! How can they possible conduct a comprehensive, cohesive investigation with all of this crap going on? They're a hot mess.

My thoughts also.

JUst like Harry Oakes! LE wants no parts of him!
Id call Harry O in a heartbeat!

There are valid reasons that reputable agencies want nothing to do with Harry Oakes, going back years and years:

"Despite the favorable portrayal, and Oakes' recent move to the local area, Oakes is persona non grata in local search and rescue circles. Officials say they're wary of Oakes' checkered financial past and his claimed record of success."

Read more: http://tdn.com/business/local/check...d59-533a-8589-7da052ca7c11.html#ixzz1x2erZ6ti

I know we all hurt for them, for Mickey, for Charlie. I hope that the Shunick's end up getting answers. I hope whoever is responsible for this answers to a court of law. I'm so angry that some person decided they had the right to do anything to Mickey Shunick (and all the other victims of crime). What makes folks think they can use/hurt/murder humans?
Rhetorical question, I know. This whole thing just disgusts me.

Where is Mickey???

What is sad is that it usually comes down to someone wanting sex!

There are places that I have lived where ppl walking are always offered rides. This is MY experience.

I guess I grew up on the whole "never talk to strangers" deal, because as a child, then an adult, I would not have gotten into a stranger's car. Unless it was a police car.

I've lived in and around Baton Rouge all my life. I didn't grow up in a dangerous neighborhood, but I think it would be a mistake to say it was always safe to walk around the neighborhood alone. This isn't necessarily because the neighbors were bad or anything, but the fact is and always has been that bad people look for opportunity wherever they can find it. We, as responsible people, have to be alert to what is going on around us. And, in general, don't assume someone we don't know is trustworthy. Why should we trust strangers from any town?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne